NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 08-09-2018, 10:31 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Default Another football season is upon us

NFL preseason tonight. ..

Just for kicks, who is your:

1. Pick to win the Super Bowl and

2. The College Football Playoff?

I love to be wrong, so here it goes.

Super Bowl champ: Chargers (I know, but let me have my fantasy.)

College Football Playoff champ: Alabama (not a bold pick but...)

Make your picks. It will be fun to revisit in 6 months.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 08-09-2018, 11:47 PM
Bob Andrews

I like taking chances:

Super Bowl--Rams

NCAA--Wisconsin

Loooongshots: (i.e. who I root for but realize don't have a chance) Texans and Nebraska
Old 08-10-2018, 07:07 AM

I like tombrady and the pats baby billy b is my man
Old 08-10-2018, 07:41 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

DUUUVALL!!!!

Go Jags!!!!!
Old 08-10-2018, 04:11 PM

I'm an Eagles fan (who waited my whole life for a Superbowl), so guess who I'm picking to repeat? I think we lucked out last year after Aaron Rodgers got injured as you never count the Packers out, and I think the Rams are very good team with a great young Head Coach.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:37 PM
Jeff P

Repeating is really, really tough. I think the Rams learned how to win last year. This year they will learn how to win it all.

Rams win SB. McVey declared the next football coaching genius.

jeff

Last edited by jefferyepayne; 08-10-2018 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post
Repeating is really, really tough.
No doubt, as 16 game season really is a game of inches. There are so many things that broke our way last year to enable us to get home field advantage in the playoffs and make a playoff run to the Superbowl so much easier. I still believe that if the Vikings didn't get lucky on that last play against the Saints, Drew Brees may come to Philly and beat us in the NFC Championship. We never beat Drew Brees as he has won in New Orleans and in Philly, so the Home Field was no advantage to us in that respect compared to playing the Vikings.

The only thing that makes a repeat somewhat possible is our team didn't get depleted through Free Agency like most Superbowl teams do. Because Wentz is still young and not making Franchise QB money yet, we still have cap flexibility so we are fielding pretty much the same team this year. But the window will get smaller once Wentz is payed big bucks as that is when you need to start going cheap on certain positions to make up for that cap hit.

Seattle is a perfect example as the won the Superbowl with a young team, and then got back to the Superbowl the next year and lost to New England. And 3 years later, they a shell of that Superbowl team because it's so hard to keep everyone intact in a Salary Cap world.

Last edited by stevecarlton1972; 08-10-2018 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:26 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecarlton1972 View Post
No doubt, as 16 game season really is a game of inches. There are so many things that broke our way last year to enable us to get home field advantage in the playoffs and make a playoff run to the Superbowl so much easier. I still believe that if the Vikings didn't get lucky on that last play against the Saints, Drew Brees may come to Philly and beat us in the NFC Championship. We never beat Drew Brees as he has won in New Orleans and in Philly, so the Home Field was no advantage to us in that respect compared to playing the Vikings.

The only thing that makes a repeat somewhat possible is our team didn't get depleted through Free Agency like most Superbowl teams do. Because Wentz is still young and not making Franchise QB money yet, we still have cap flexibility so we are fielding pretty much the same team this year. But the window will get smaller once Wentz is payed big bucks as that is when you need to start going cheap on certain positions to make up for that cap hit.

Seattle is a perfect example as the won the Superbowl with a young team, and then got back to the Superbowl the next year and lost to New England. And 3 years later, they a shell of that Superbowl team because it's so hard to keep everyone intact in a Salary Cap world.
All very good points. Beyond the physical and financial aspects you mention is the mental challenge teams that win face. All of a sudden you've been to the top of the mountain so can you keep the same focus and intensity the next year. Also, SB champs get everybody's best punch the next year. It will be most every other teams Super Bowl to knock off the champs and that can take a lot out of a team.

jeff

Last edited by jefferyepayne; 08-11-2018 at 11:27 AM.