NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 01-25-2013, 04:24 PM

Default Need Help Authenticating 1930s Autograph Book

Hi there! I need some help authenticating an autograph book I bought as a part of a 1950s and before baseball card collection. Also a couple of Honus Wagner autographs. My area of expertise is in baseball cards. I do not know a whole lot about authenticating autographs, but it is clear to me that the signatures on the book are not printed on. I do plan on selling the book at some point, and I am trying to decide if it is worth it to send into PSA or another reputable autograph authentication company. If you have any questions, please ask. I am also taking offers. Thank you all very much for your help, and God bless.

Last edited by thezack; 01-25-2013 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:51 PM

Nice pickup. The autograph book looks good.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:42 PM

The right side of the autograph book looks blurry in the scan. I might post a new scan and see if I can get the picture into better focus.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:48 PM
Is@ac Le.vin

Real nice pickup. There are some nice names on there.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:03 PM

Here are a couple closeups of the wagner autos. Please let me know if you think they are real. I also may be taking offers on all of this stuff.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:47 AM

So, what do you guys think is the value of the book?
Old 01-26-2013, 09:00 PM
Jeff P0tter

My initial reaction on the this overall is something just doesn't feel right about the bulk of the signatures in this book. The right side, gomez all the way down through Ruth, Gehrig, murphy, etc feel very similar in slant and pressure. Any chance the thicker signatures could be legit and the fountain pen ones built around them?
Old 01-26-2013, 10:07 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATP View Post
My initial reaction on the this overall is something just doesn't feel right about the bulk of the signatures in this book. The right side, gomez all the way down through Ruth, Gehrig, murphy, etc feel very similar in slant and pressure. Any chance the thicker signatures could be legit and the fountain pen ones built around them?
My thoughts as well. The Ruth, Gehrig, and Murphy all look like they were written in the same hand. The other fountain pen signatures also look very similar.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:08 PM
J Stone

After staring at this for a while, I too have some misgivings. Thanks for providing a very high resolution scan.

I'm bothered by a couple of things. While I may not have the depth of experience as some here I have looked at a lot of autographs in my day and sometimes you have that "Blink" moment that Malcolm Gladwell described in his book.

Given that Gehrig is included here we might make an assumption that this book was signed before his death in 1941. Give the number of Phila. A's all on the two pages we might also assume that this would have been signed during their playing days. One would think this may have been signed at an A's Yankees game at some point. Without spending too much time on rosters and such we might assume a mid-late 1930s time frame.

Now granted the type of pen used might cause some of these issues but I am bothered by a few of these.

The "mistakes" in the Cramer, Earnshaw, Rommel, and Ruffing seem to be too many in number for such a small sample size. Granted these could have been signed standing up or in some awkward way to account for this but to me too coincidental.

The Jimmie's in the Foxx and Dykes signatures are a little too similar for my comfort. From a few samples I've seen the J in Dykes' signature doesn't usually have the severe slant of Foxx and here they are about the same, not to mention they share some characteristics they shouldn't have.

I think maybe the big "giveaway" may be the Earle Mack. Note that the last "Mack" is almost exactly the same as the Connie Mack. Earle's autograph normally had a more "simple" style and flow compared to Connie's sharp angular signature.

Also many of the signatures don't have a strong healthy flow they should have if they were signed by young, athletic men. Many resemble the signatures of these same men later in their lives. Also many of the first letters seem slowly made, while my in-person experience has let me to believe that the first letter of an autograph is usually the strongest.

There is also no reason to cram so many signatures on two pages. Surely the book has more pages, and I'll bet some are blank. And why stick a relatively obscure, hard to find Joe Boley in about the only place it would fit?

My intuition tells me that the Grove, Rolfe, Dickey, and Crosetti were already on the book, and are "good" and that the darker ones were forged.

My two cents, which may be about all it's worth.

I'm kinda willing to bet though, that this would pass one of the big two TPA's.

Just guessing if it passed by one of the big two TPA's value would be $5000-8000 at auction.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:27 PM
Jeff P0tter

Just thought I would check back in on this one. Did you end up selling it, having it authenticated or just keeping it? Still curious as to others thoughts on it as well.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:42 PM
Christopher Williams

Horrid forgeries of Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig and others.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:44 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

I think Moose Dog did a heck of a job brakeing it down.
I will add my two cents. I am just not comfortable with that much bleeding in the signiture.

Last edited by shelly; 03-26-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:58 PM
David Linardy

Default signatures

Several look off...

The Wagner's are no good in my opinion...
Old 03-26-2013, 10:40 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves_resale_shop View Post
Several look off...

The Wagner's are no good in my opinion...
I agree,