NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-29-2005, 11:14 PM
Administrator

Default New Post Office Record

Posted By: Paul

I usually don't complain about the post office. I've had less trouble with them than UPS. But this is one for the books.

On March 26th, I sold a card on ebay. After a couple of weeks, the payment didn't arrive, so I contacted the buyer. He said his check must have been lost in the mail. He sent me a second check, I sent him the card. No big deal.

Today, more than 5 months later, his original check arrives. My address was very neatly printed on the envelope. There were no signs of the envelope having travelled to the south pole or Iraq. In fact, the envelope was in pristine gem mint condition, as if it had been sitting in a museum all this time. It was postmarked March 29th.

So, it took 5 months to deliver an envelope from Maryland to California. Maybe the long delay is explained by the great care that the post office took with this envelope.

Old 08-29-2005, 11:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Shane Killian

sweet jesus. i think i've had one that took 4 weeks, but never that long.

Old 08-29-2005, 11:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

It's been two months but maybe the insured and delivery confirmation attached package containing my E98 Coombs might someday arrive. I am not holding my breath but that sure would be nice. The delivery confirmation shows it was mailed 2 months ago but it has been in limbo ever since...

Old 08-30-2005, 12:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

There's still hope for my lost cheque to Barry Sloate. It should be arriving in another month, i guess.

Old 08-30-2005, 07:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

When I first retired I received my monthly pension in the form
of a check in the mail. A year later no check, and for AT&T to
replace this lost check, I'd have to wait 3 months. Anyway, it
wasn't really a problem for me. Sooner, or later, I'd get paid.

Well, 8 months later my original pension check arrives in a
Priority Mailer with a letter of apology. Apparently, the
envelope containing my check got attached to someone's mail
out in the Mid-west. And, that person just happen to be away
for at least 6 months in Europe.

After that, I got smart and had my pension electronically sent
to my bank.

Old 08-30-2005, 09:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kenny Cole

A couple of years back, I bought a card and paid for the insurance. It didn't come so I contacted the seller. He said he'd sent it. After another month it still wasn't there so I contacted the seller again and said to make a claim. He wasn't happy, but he made the claim and I got my refund. Literally three months later, the card arrived. The package was pristine. I contacted the seller, told him that the card had finally arrived, and asked for any suggestions about the insurance situation. He never responded. After a couple of follow up emails, I gave up. Basically, I got the card for the price of the insurance. What a crazy world.

Kenny Cole

Old 08-30-2005, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

There was a great old science fiction story about the post office and I forget the author but the gist of it is this...

A man mails a letter to a business across the street and he wonders why it takes 8 months to get there. He then notices that when he mails a letter across town it only took 6 months to get there...in his frustration he tries an experiment...he mails six identical letters asking for a response to six people in different locations: across the street, across the city, across the country, different continent, opposite side of the world and Alpha Centauri...the times it takes the response to arrive was dependent on distance and the shorter the distance the longer the response time...the Alpha Centauri letter takes 4 days response time where the one across the street again takes nearly 8 months...his conclusion was that the USPS must be the most ineffecient and effecient organization in the world.

Joshua

PS Apology to Leon but I have been way off topic lately.

Old 08-30-2005, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom

Send it back and see how long it takes.

Old 08-30-2005, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Dwyer

One time I sent a check only 5 miles away. It got lost in the mail. Two months later it finally got sent back to me. The post office said I put the wrong zip code. (I didn't)