NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 10-27-2017, 10:56 AM
JustinD's Avatar
JustinD JustinD is offline
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Birmingham, Mi
Posts: 1,141
Default

I don't think signed versions of those cards exist. Those photos are the Judge SPs for that set and I have yet to see a signed version posted. I think the 1987 version may be pack pulled, but most autos are redemption and it should not be possible to pack pull those versions signed or not.

I would venture a guess those are proofs or possibly even a fantasy card because the certified writing should be stamped and there should be more clarity on that it is an auto card on the reverse.

If signed versions do surface when the redemptions are processed, they were likely backdoored extras from the production run to replace any damage.

I looked on ebay and the amount of postings that seller had makes it impossible he would have randomly pulled 33 unsigned error cards that should not exist in the general public and list all at the same time.

I may return them because 150 is a good chunk of cash for proofs or run extras, Just an opinion.

EDIT: From looking closer it looks like the cards are stamped and the logo is foiled. Leaning more to backdoored. I would like to see the redemption checklist to see if these are there to really help define it.
__________________
- Justin D.


Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 10-27-2017 at 11:08 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-27-2017, 11:37 AM
bnorth's Avatar
bnorth bnorth is offline
Ben North
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 4,284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
I don't think signed versions of those cards exist. Those photos are the Judge SPs for that set and I have yet to see a signed version posted. I think the 1987 version may be pack pulled, but most autos are redemption and it should not be possible to pack pull those versions signed or not.

I would venture a guess those are proofs or possibly even a fantasy card because the certified writing should be stamped and there should be more clarity on that it is an auto card on the reverse.

If signed versions do surface when the redemptions are processed, they were likely backdoored extras from the production run to replace any damage.

I looked on ebay and the amount of postings that seller had makes it impossible he would have randomly pulled 33 unsigned error cards that should not exist in the general public and list all at the same time.

I may return them because 150 is a good chunk of cash for proofs or run extras, Just an opinion.

EDIT: From looking closer it looks like the cards are stamped and the logo is foiled. Leaning more to backdoored. I would like to see the redemption checklist to see if these are there to really help define it.
This is a general statement and not aimed at these cards. The better custom/fantasy card makers are good enough now that they are stamping and adding foil to cards.
__________________
T210 Series 3 Ft Worth, looking for low end examples and especially ones with a Y shaped hole punch. I also have some extra T210's for trade.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-27-2017, 12:45 PM
JustinD's Avatar
JustinD JustinD is offline
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Birmingham, Mi
Posts: 1,141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
This is a general statement and not aimed at these cards. The better custom/fantasy card makers are good enough now that they are stamping and adding foil to cards.
Very true, With these just being released I didn't think there was time or inclination at this point. However, still not convinced as the seller just banked 50.00x33 on this batch which is a nice quick score. The Desert Shield Topps were the start of that fake foiling in mass quantities many years ago.
__________________
- Justin D.


Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 10-27-2017 at 12:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-27-2017, 12:54 PM
yanksfan09's Avatar
yanksfan09 yanksfan09 is offline
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 1,433
Default

These cards are perfect 2017 topps quality. I don't think there's anyway they are counterfeit. I'm pretty good at spotting fakes and recognizing inferior quality.

The backs all have the line of small black text "the signing of all topps autograph cards is witnessed by topps representatives to guarantee authenticity."

To me there's no question that they are authentic and produced by Topps.

Obviously they were intended to be signed first so I don't know exactly what happened. I guess either they made it into packs by accident or anyone's guess.

Im putting up some more back pics, its hard to get the right lighting to see the tiny dark print on dark blue back.

I appreciate all the thoughts and comments, keep em coming... I just don't see anything that would make me question them not being produced by Topps. After that, I have no idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 37940073792_ec79b67019_z.jpg (67.7 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg 37940074832_fc1ebe4763_z.jpg (48.5 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg 37970498991_4d4b672cb9_z.jpg (40.4 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg 37970499041_3f360fe012_z.jpg (66.0 KB, 100 views)
__________________
Er1ck.L. ---D381 seeker http://www.flickr.com/photos/30236659@N04/sets/
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-27-2017, 12:59 PM
yanksfan09's Avatar
yanksfan09 yanksfan09 is offline
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 1,433
Default

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1160279

This is link on BO forum of someone getting a Mike Trout just like one of mine, that had a sticker auto on it.
__________________
Er1ck.L. ---D381 seeker http://www.flickr.com/photos/30236659@N04/sets/
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-27-2017, 01:38 PM
JustinD's Avatar
JustinD JustinD is offline
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Birmingham, Mi
Posts: 1,141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksfan09 View Post
I appreciate all the thoughts and comments, keep em coming... I just don't see anything that would make me question them not being produced by Topps. After that, I have no idea.
I trust they are Topps, I just have a bunch of cards like this that are the result of an employee walking out the door with a pocket of oddballs. Usually they sell to a dealer who parts them out. That would explain the seller having such a large quantity.

For those backdoor cards value is in the eye of the beholder. If they are visually exciting people can chase them on a individual basis.

In the case of autos and chase cards, Topps always keeps some extra around in case of shipping damage or customer complaints for replacement. They are not meant to see the public eye, but many have over the years. These are destroyed after the product leaves shelves.
__________________
- Justin D.


Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-27-2017, 02:33 PM
yanksfan09's Avatar
yanksfan09 yanksfan09 is offline
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 1,433
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
I trust they are Topps, I just have a bunch of cards like this that are the result of an employee walking out the door with a pocket of oddballs. Usually they sell to a dealer who parts them out. That would explain the seller having such a large quantity.

For those backdoor cards value is in the eye of the beholder. If they are visually exciting people can chase them on a individual basis.

In the case of autos and chase cards, Topps always keeps some extra around in case of shipping damage or customer complaints for replacement. They are not meant to see the public eye, but many have over the years. These are destroyed after the product leaves shelves.
Yea, could be. It will be interesting to see if anymore come out from other sources. The seller told me he pack pulled them but who knows?

I found this one on ebay from a different seller (Pro Debut of Kyle Lewis)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-Topps-...8AAOSw42JZKKzu

I don't know what to make of any of it.
__________________
Er1ck.L. ---D381 seeker http://www.flickr.com/photos/30236659@N04/sets/
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-27-2017, 03:03 PM
yanksfan09's Avatar
yanksfan09 yanksfan09 is offline
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 1,433
Default

Fwiw, the seller with the Lewis card claims it a pack pulled as well.
__________________
Er1ck.L. ---D381 seeker http://www.flickr.com/photos/30236659@N04/sets/

Last edited by yanksfan09; 10-27-2017 at 03:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-27-2017, 03:43 PM
Republicaninmass Republicaninmass is offline
T3d $h3rm@n
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,943
Default

It would be a great racket to get these and have them signed after.
__________________
SIGNED 1952 Topps
381/407


"Trolling Ebay right now"
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-29-2017, 06:13 PM
yanksfan09's Avatar
yanksfan09 yanksfan09 is offline
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 1,433
Default

Theres a new batch on ebay from another seller now. All or same price and including this one, which makes no sense...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-TOPPS-...cAAOSwTm9Z9iLT
__________________
Er1ck.L. ---D381 seeker http://www.flickr.com/photos/30236659@N04/sets/
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Topps certified autograph reprints brewing Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) 7 04-24-2015 07:35 PM
2004 Topps Certified Autograph-info? veleno45 Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports 1 03-27-2015 09:18 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:50 AM.


ebay GSB