NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-30-2017, 08:46 AM

Default 1967 Topps color freak

just noticed this one; i don't think it is a stain since there is no warping or discoloration on the front.

414 cox b.jpg

414 cox.jpg
Old 11-30-2017, 08:53 AM
Ben North

Looks to be sun faded in the lighter colored area. Because of the pattern it looks to have been in the sun/showcase/shelf or whatever with some cards covering part of the back.

Last edited by bnorth; 11-30-2017 at 08:55 AM.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:17 AM

Default maybe

that is a plausible explanation, however, the irregular pattern of the discoloration would mean that the sun hit it in a very chaotic pattern for long periods of time in different locations on the card.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:38 AM
Al Richter

I am not a print guru like Ben and Steve so not sure if it is print defect or sun damage. I have some like it but generally only pursue defects that are recurring rather than one off....although some can be pretty dramatic

Old 11-30-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
that is a plausible explanation, however, the irregular pattern of the discoloration would mean that the sun hit it in a very chaotic pattern for long periods of time in different locations on the card.
+1
Old 11-30-2017, 01:51 PM

Default cards

that is a very nice color splatter Al;

as for my card, wouldn't we also expect the black print letters to be faded also in comparison to the rest of the print?
Old 11-30-2017, 04:58 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
as for my card, wouldn't we also expect the black print letters to be faded also in comparison to the rest of the print?
Yeah, that one is a tough call. But if I had to vote, I'd say an issue during the printing of the cyan/yellow plates caused the anomaly. Sunlight (most likely) would've faded the black (even a little bit) as well, so I don't believe it was a post-production occurrence.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:12 PM
Ben North

Quote:
The black fades very slowly on that year and the green fades very easily. The bottom card is where I think your card was and it looks like there was 3 cards laying on top of it in a similar pattern to the quick layout in my picture on the bottom of the post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I am not a print guru like Ben and Steve so not sure if it is print defect or sun damage. I have some like it but generally only pursue defects that are recurring rather than one off....although some can be pretty dramatic

Awesome card Al, I have a Jose Rijo Desert Shield card with almost the same exact print flaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg faded.jpg (72.0 KB, 145 views)
Old 12-01-2017, 07:18 AM

Default fades quickly?

the cards would have to lay in that position for an extended period of time without being moved while still being exposed to the sun. the fade would be to a lighter shade of green if it were exposed to the sun; your explanation has no merit.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:21 AM
Steve Birmingham

A few things -

Ben, have you actually been able to fade black? Typically black just won't fade since the pigment is Carbon. There are some black inks that are a chemical dye, but even that hardly ever fades.

The original card is most likely fading. The green on the 67 backs is actually green, not yellow and blue mixed. At the time, the color of the ink could be really variable as a special color was mixed by hand from a recepie. So maybe something like two parts blue one part yellow 1/2 part black 1/4 part white. The press operator would mix the inks, but the measuring wasn't precise, so the actual color could be darker, brighter, a bit more bluish or greenish.
What's there approximates the range of back colors, but the pattern is what I'd expect if the card had been under some fanned out cards.
Not at all uncommon, I had it happen to some cards I'd set on a window sill while sorting and forgot about. All cheap commons, so no big deal.
Probably could have made the lines wider but you'll get the idea.

The Westrum is pretty cool. A nice big flaw on the Magenta layer.

That sort of problem happens a couple ways. Keeping in mind that the plate is first wet, then inked, then applies the ink to the offset blanket which transfers the ink to the card. And that the ink is oily and pretty thick.

One way is if there's a bit of fluid on the plate. That can block or partly block the inking. But it usually shows a teardrop shape area, and this isn't quite right for that unless the affected area was huge and this is just the tail.

Another way is if something gets on the offset blanket. Sometimes the card or paper stock is flawed, and peels leaving a thin layer stuck to the blanket. (The blanket is a big rubber sheet) When it comes around again to get inked the paper bit gets inked too. But since it's not rubber it won't transfer the ink as well and you get an area with somewhat random partial inking. (In appearance, the pattern is actually related to the grain structure of the obstruction. Cloth would leave a cloth like pattern.)

I think the second one is what happened here.

Both are interesting cards, and illustrate different technical points. Fun stuff.

Steve B
Old 12-01-2017, 11:34 AM

Default card

well Steve, if you want to drag logic and reason into it...
very good points to consider; thanks for the input. i have to admit that i do not know how long sun fading takes to produce this effect.
jim
Old 12-01-2017, 01:18 PM
Steve Birmingham

The cards I left out were on the windowsill for about 2 years. The effect isn't quite as large, but they were face up and weren't 67's

The ones that were totally exposed lost a lot of color for all colors except black. The ones partly under others had clear lines where the fading stopped.
The ones in penny sleeves were undamaged, while the penny sleeve itself became too brittle to handle. Ones farther down that stack were only brittle near the edges.

I should put out a couple commons and take pictures of them occasionally.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:27 PM
Ben North

Quote:
the cards would have to lay in that position for an extended period of time without being moved while still being exposed to the sun. the fade would be to a lighter shade of green if it were exposed to the sun; your explanation has no merit.
All I will say is that is NOT how fading works with that year of cards backs. They are actually strange compared to other years/brands.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:36 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
A few things -

Ben, have you actually been able to fade black? Typically black just won't fade since the pigment is Carbon. There are some black inks that are a chemical dye, but even that hardly ever fades.

The original card is most likely fading. The green on the 67 backs is actually green, not yellow and blue mixed. At the time, the color of the ink could be really variable as a special color was mixed by hand from a recepie. So maybe something like two parts blue one part yellow 1/2 part black 1/4 part white. The press operator would mix the inks, but the measuring wasn't precise, so the actual color could be darker, brighter, a bit more bluish or greenish.
What's there approximates the range of back colors, but the pattern is what I'd expect if the card had been under some fanned out cards.
Not at all uncommon, I had it happen to some cards I'd set on a window sill while sorting and forgot about. All cheap commons, so no big deal.
Probably could have made the lines wider but you'll get the idea.

The Westrum is pretty cool. A nice big flaw on the Magenta layer.

That sort of problem happens a couple ways. Keeping in mind that the plate is first wet, then inked, then applies the ink to the offset blanket which transfers the ink to the card. And that the ink is oily and pretty thick.

One way is if there's a bit of fluid on the plate. That can block or partly block the inking. But it usually shows a teardrop shape area, and this isn't quite right for that unless the affected area was huge and this is just the tail.

Another way is if something gets on the offset blanket. Sometimes the card or paper stock is flawed, and peels leaving a thin layer stuck to the blanket. (The blanket is a big rubber sheet) When it comes around again to get inked the paper bit gets inked too. But since it's not rubber it won't transfer the ink as well and you get an area with somewhat random partial inking. (In appearance, the pattern is actually related to the grain structure of the obstruction. Cloth would leave a cloth like pattern.)

I think the second one is what happened here.

Both are interesting cards, and illustrate different technical points. Fun stuff.

Steve B
Yes I have faded black. The big thing is that different years, brands, and even front to back of the cards react differently. The card the OP has does very easily fade, especially the backs.

Another member was asking about that specific year so I faded one and saved him a bunch of $. Guy on eBay was trying to sell a faded card as a rare error.

I really have no idea how long it would take in a window because there are a ton of variables involved there. I wont say how I do it but guarantee it is not sticking a card in a window.
Old 12-02-2017, 01:05 PM
Larry More.y

Here is one I just missed last evening....it has the lighter colored back as well as two other print variations.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 922.jpg (79.0 KB, 32 views)
Old 12-02-2017, 02:42 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Yes I have faded black. The big thing is that different years, brands, and even front to back of the cards react differently. The card the OP has does very easily fade, especially the backs.

Another member was asking about that specific year so I faded one and saved him a bunch of $. Guy on eBay was trying to sell a faded card as a rare error.

I really have no idea how long it would take in a window because there are a ton of variables involved there. I wont say how I do it but guarantee it is not sticking a card in a window.
I've been impressed with your experiments for quite a while, and I agree that nothing good would come from sharing the method.

Fading black is even more impressive. Of all the colors that's the one that has the least potential to fade. Inks using carbon pigments really won't fade ever, the ones that can fade are chemical colorants. I remember making ink with my chemistry set as a kid, and the experiment included changing black to blue and back to black by adding chemicals. I don't recall what they were.
That the black some years can fade is cool because it's basically proof that those inks used a dye for black instead of carbon.
The stamps I collect were made during a changeover between forms of carbon, and show loads of evidence of the printer continually altering the ink to try to get them to print correctly.