NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-20-2009, 11:46 AM
keith janosky

Default Final bid on witch's diaper on C.C.

Looks like the lucky winner got a steal on the witchs diaper on Coach's Corner for a steal price of 64.00. Of coarse buyers premium and shipping will get it to maybe 80.00. Nice bidding. Oh Brother.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:22 PM
Scott

Who the hell would buy that. RIDICULOUS fake.

And I missed the NY Giants ball w Mathewson for less than 400.00 ? How could I be so stupid?

haha.

Next month, who knows what treasures we will see listed. Im betting on a piece of voyage used wood from the hull of the Mayflower.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:25 PM
keith janosky

Yea Gray Ghost I to missed out on some real bargains to. A Joe D. bat for 298.00. A Mantle bat for 350.00. A Walter Johnson cut for 315.00. A Ruth cut for 352.00. And on and on it goes where it stops nobody knows.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:02 PM
Banned

I've been wondering with whom I should consign my baseball signed by every member of the Hall of Fame.

Last edited by Rob D.; 06-20-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
I've been wondering with whom I should consign my baseball signed by every member of the Hall of Fame.
Wow! Does it even have Fergie Jenkins?!?!
Old 06-21-2009, 10:17 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default no Fergie

It has no Fergie but it does have a Cap Anson done in a blue sharpie. You don't see one of those every day.....
Old 06-21-2009, 10:28 AM

Sorry, I would only be interested if Anson had signed in crayon (preferably burnt sienna).
Old 06-21-2009, 05:00 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Menu

I recently consigned a menu from the last supper with sigs from all 12 apostles.
My favorite signature was "To my best buddy, Jesus", signed by Judas.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:19 PM
Scott

Hahhaha. Just in. Pipe ash from General US Grant, from the table at Appomattox court house, when the Civil war surrender papers were signed. GREAT item. It will be there next month, along w TEN signed Beatles albums
Old 06-21-2009, 06:40 PM
Banned

I should have added that the ball I'm looking to consign comes with a lifetime, transferable certificate that allows the buyer to resubmit the ball each year and have the signatures of the latest inductees added.

Doesn't matter whether the honorees are living or dead.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:01 PM
FredYoung

I should have added that the ball I'm looking to consign comes with a lifetime, transferable certificate that allows the buyer to resubmit the ball each year and have the signatures of the latest inductees added.

Doesn't matter whether the honorees are living or dead.

--and I'll bet it's guaranteed the dead sigs will be more legible than the live ones!
Old 06-21-2009, 08:40 PM

-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d.jpg (4.1 KB, 134 views)

Last edited by Vintagedegu; 08-21-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:01 PM

Is that a young Honus Wagner? You can tell by both the ears and the farm implement!
Old 06-22-2009, 04:22 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Default Wow, who knew it was this bad?

someone just posted a very interesting note on my blog. He added up the total revenue from the last CC auction and he says it came to half a million dollars.

If you multiply this by the 12 auctions a year, I guess we can conclude that the owners of CC are grossing 6 million dollars a year in revenue. I never stopped to calculate these numbers before. They are worse and more depressing than I ever could imagine. Please, we have to stop these guys!

Mike The Ring Guy

www.sports-rings.com (look for my blogs on this subject)
Old 06-22-2009, 10:46 AM
Dave

Somebody should put together a Mad Magazine version of a Coach's Corner Auction. It probably wouldn't be that far off from the real thing.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:09 AM
Scott

Yes, Mr. Bergin. That would be funny..

UPDATE: The next Coach's corner auction will be available for LIVE bidding on June 26. I for one, CAN'T WAIT to see the baseball autographs.

I heard rumor that they may have a ball signed "WM, Candy Cummings", curveball and dated too. Opening bid, for this ball valued in the very high hunreds to mid high thousands, is 9.99. BID NOW.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:37 AM
Richard Simon

My "top all" bid has just been sent in.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:35 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

sorry as this may seem repetive (I posted this in the baseball card forum too).

some of us floated around some numbers and came up with the fact that since CC has been doing auctions for 20 years, and they used to collect higher fees on their auctions, it is quite possible that they have grossed
over $100,000,000 since their inception.

Do you think a lawyer or law firm could start a class action suit for all the people who have been ripped off during the last twenty years?

With law firms getting from 20 - 33 percent of the collection they could easily make $20,000,000. How great would that be if this was the way to shut down those clowns at Coach's Corner.

Looking around the internet I see that If someone wants to start a class action suit, they can visit classactionconnect.com

I don't qualify as I have never purchased anything from CC.

What do you guys think? Is this a possible way to shut down CC?

Mike The Ring Guy.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:44 AM
Scott

It may be a big undertaking, but some may be willing to get involved for sure. I have never bought anything from those clowns, but would be very interested in the outcome.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:56 AM
Jon Canfield

Mike,

I find it hard to believe this would ever work. First, not every item is "fake" so there are a lot of parties who were not injured in their auctions. Second, who knows when they first began selling the fake stuff. Trying to determine that would be a nightmare. Third, even if there was $100,000,000 worth of fake stuff sold, there is really nothing to pay the attorney fees out of. If CC was a multibillion dollar company, then a firm may be interested. However, no firm will bring a suit and put the necessary time and dilligence in for a recovery that will be likely $0.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:01 PM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

There is a very good reason that most class action lawsuits are against huge corporations. They have assets. Class actions are almost always settled with the lawyers getting substantial fees and the thousands of claimants getting a few bucks or discount coupons and the like. Off the top of my head, I would say you have to first determine what assets Coach's Corner has. It is a Limited Liability Company and probably pays most of its profits in salary and benefits to avoid taxes. Then determine whether the owners have substantial assets and whether it is likely you could "pierce the corporate veil" to get to the owners' assets. Then, you have to advertise in hobby publications to recruit class members. It is lengthy process with no guarantee of any return. I would think that criminal prosecution would be the better way to go.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:04 PM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Canjond,

I don't know anything about this stuff so I appreciate your response. If say, 50 - 75 million was for forgeries and the owners (kind of like Madoff, purchased assets such as real-estate, cars, collectibles, retirement funds, etc.) would'nt the lawyers be able to seize this since it was purchased by way of fraud?

A mailing could be sent to everyone on the CC list who purchased items or the law firm can purchase advertisements to appear (yes I realize the irony here) in SCD and other places, inviting people to be part of the class action. I imagine all you would need is the item, a bill of sale and the CC certification.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:13 PM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Canjond,

I don't know anything about this stuff so I appreciate your response. If say, 50 - 75 million was for forgeries and the owners (kind of like Madoff, purchased assets such as real-estate, cars, collectibles, retirement funds, etc.) would'nt the lawyers be able to seize this since it was purchased by way of fraud?

A mailing could be sent to everyone on the CC list who purchased items or the law firm can purchase advertisements to appear (yes I realize the irony here) in SCD and other places, inviting people to be part of the class action. I imagine all you would need is the item, a bill of sale and the CC certification.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:23 PM
Jon Canfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by sports-rings.com View Post
Canjond,

If there was anything left to seize but chances are the cash is gone.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:50 PM

The problem with trying to get everyone together to bring in to a courtroom what may or may not be fake is that the lawyers would not be able to prove that this item is the exact item as described on C.C.'s generic COAs. Unless C.C. had changed their proceedures, I believe they never put a hologram on their items, therefore it would be very easy for them to say that that was not the exact item they had sold and you could not prove it was. For years, they sold all those non-pictured items that noone ever had a chance to inspect, so its your word against theirs. Also, how many times has that item been bought and sold since it was won in the original auction, so the new owner may not even know it came from C.C. unless the COA came with it, and by then the original bill of sale is long gone. The main problem is you will always have people buying bad stuff because the bottom line is they think they are getting a good deal. And as long as people are willing to shell out good money for bad items, C.C. will continue to operate which is very unfortunate.