NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 07-28-2014, 03:52 PM
Al Richter

Default 1989 Topps oddity

Old 07-29-2014, 08:18 AM
Steve Birmingham

Is that printed on the back of the cardstock?

The back should have the white coated side showing.

Or is it on some different cardboard?

Very cool printing error. I've never seen one printed on the wrong sides, but have seen an ad for a handful of 72s that were like that. The price was way too much at the time.

Printed on other cardstock could happen if there was a protector sheet as part of how the cardstock was packaged and it got used. I have a postcard back that's on packing material. It's the only one of those I've seen.

Steve B
Old 07-29-2014, 08:20 AM
Steve Birmingham

Just realized it can't be either because the lettering and uniform is white.

What the heck is that?!

Steve B
Old 07-29-2014, 09:02 AM
Al Richter

Default Elster

The back is normal. Some sort of test or prototype design ?
Old 07-29-2014, 04:50 PM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

Duh! That's the gold border version. There's also a blue, red, and purple bordered version too. The double chrome refractor numbered to 25 is the one you want though. Unless of course you are lucky enough to get the one with an authentic jock strap swatch.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:21 PM
Al Richter

Default Swatch

Guaranteed worn ?
Old 07-30-2014, 07:13 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Do you have back scans?
Old 07-30-2014, 11:40 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Looks like the cardboard stock didn't get the white coating before printing.

As a Mets collector I would love to find a card like that.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:07 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
Looks like the cardboard stock didn't get the white coating before printing.

As a Mets collector I would love to find a card like that.
As Steve pointed out if that was the case the uniform (and the topps logo) should be brown. White isn't a printed color. White is revealed as blank spots where the rest of the colors are printed.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:29 PM
Al Richter

Default 1986

Seller believed it to be a proof/prototype card that came from Topps Vault. He said he had others...all from sheet F. I mentioned earlier that the back is like my regular Elster card. This is the back of the gold border version

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 07-30-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:58 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
As Steve pointed out if that was the case the uniform (and the topps logo) should be brown. White isn't a printed color. White is revealed as blank spots where the rest of the colors are printed.
The card stock is white on 1 side and plain on the other, the white border is not printed on with other colors, its already there before the pic is printed.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:34 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
The card stock is white on 1 side and plain on the other, the white border is not printed on with other colors, its already there before the pic is printed.
They wouldn't do just the white boarder. They would lay down a white coating then print the other colors over the top. The way you are suggesting they would do the white boarder, then lay down the other colors on top of a cardboard color yet still print the white topps logo as well as the uniform... there is no white ink in the color process. White has to be laid down first then printed on. So why would they do the borders, and then print the white inside of that separate?
Old 07-30-2014, 04:10 PM
Al Richter

Default Seller...

...on ebay is shoehart
Old 07-30-2014, 06:23 PM
Todd Schultz

or shoeheart
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:41 PM
Al Richter

Default Or....

......that
Old 08-06-2014, 09:23 AM
Keith

Default Frankencard?

The stock Topps used from 1952 through 1991 is called C1S clay-coated chipboard. It's cheap cardboard stock made from unbleached "chips" of wood pulp (the garbage screened away from higher quality stock). This chipboard is then skinned with a thin clay-coated (giving it good ink holdout) white stock. The two stocks are adhered to make the final sheet.

If this Elster card truly has a chipboard back, chipboard border, and white clay coat under the printed area, the only way it could have been made was by removing the white stock in the border area.

There is a chemical process to achieve this look. Kevin Saucier knew how to do it. What I don't know is if it can be done in such a precise manner.

On the other hand, if this is a gold or tan color in the border area, then it would indicate that the card was printed with a fifth color (a solid tan ink) to fill in the border areas. If so, it's possible that Tops could have masked up a 132-card full sheet (or 66-card half sheet) and printed all the borders on each card. When trimmed, this is what the final cards would look like. If that's the case, there should be more of these out there. Even on a test basis, Topps would have printed at least 100-200 sheets.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:25 AM
Al Richter

Default 1989

Keith-- seller claimed he had several of them, all from F sheet
Old 08-06-2014, 11:35 AM

Would be interesting to see the border area magnified, like 60x or so. Not sure if a typical flatbed scanner can get that close, but one of those Intel microscopes (QX3 or QX5) sure would. I'd be curious to see if the border has a dot pattern or is solid colored.
My website for 1963 Topps football color variations -
Old 08-06-2014, 08:09 PM
Dylan

Someone had a partial sheet of these a few years ago. I believe they were posting on the PSA CU forums about it. They had one of these gold bordered sheets cut up and the singles sold off on ebay. The same person also had a blackless sheet (or partial sheet) from 1989 Topps as well, which also was cut up and sold on ebay as singles.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:52 PM
Marc S.

Al-

I have a Nick Leyva 1989 Topps just like your gold Elster-
Old 08-12-2014, 10:13 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
It looks to me like someone took an exacto knife around the inked part of the card and peeled away the white border. It would have taken a long time to get that precise. But look how thin the red border is on the 'gold' card compared to the normal card, especially on the bottom.

I think I will try to duplicate this theory tonight.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:42 PM
Dylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsb View Post
It looks to me like someone took an exacto knife around the inked part of the card and peeled away the white border. It would have taken a long time to get that precise. But look how thin the red border is on the 'gold' card compared to the normal card, especially on the bottom.

I think I will try to duplicate this theory tonight.
Please save yourself the work. Besides the fact that I have seen a partial uncut sheet of these, do you really think that someone is out there xacto-knifing 1989 Topps Kevin Elster and Nick Leyva cards and painting/foiling them?
Old 08-15-2014, 10:13 PM
Al Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksoncoupage View Post
Please save yourself the work. Besides the fact that I have seen a partial uncut sheet of these, do you really think that someone is out there xacto-knifing 1989 Topps Kevin Elster and Nick Leyva cards and painting/foiling them?
Old 08-29-2014, 08:23 PM
Curt

I bought a couple from shoe heart on ebay this year as well for the variety and because they actually look really cool. There was no competition on either when I bought them, which surprised me. I thought there would be, but maybe since they were so unusual, maybe people thought they were home made or fake some how.

They are all the same glossiness and there is no missing layers that the naked eye could detect. mine have some light creasing, similar to what i have seen on sheet cut cards. I'm guessing this was some sort of test sheet that made it's way into someone's hands to be cut and sold later on.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:27 AM
Kevin S.

Yes, there is a chemical process to remove the ink that looks pretty cool. It would probably not be a problem on the straight borders as in the Elster card. Removing around the letters and difficult curves would be tough. Not sure it could be done.

Kevin Saucier
Old 11-12-2014, 06:36 AM
Al Richter

Default Howdy

Kevin -- thanks for chiming in here. What are you up to these days ?
Old 11-15-2014, 08:44 PM
Kevin S.

Been away from this hobby for some time. Here is one card I've had for years with the ink chemically removed. Makes for a neat novelty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 87palmeiro.JPG (38.7 KB, 262 views)
Old 10-21-2016, 12:18 PM
Shane

I was able to snag a John Morris for my Cardinals collection this week. Any more news on these?