NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-29-2018, 10:06 PM
Frank Evanov

Default Plus one

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithsky View Post
I agree people deserve a second chance but in the professional that there were sent to jail for? For example if someone works in a bank and steals money and personal info on customers and went to jail for it do you think the banking industry should hire that person back? I don't think they would. Plenty of other jobs out there. Wasn't Mastro ban from being in the Sports Memoribilia field now?
+1 Keith.

I plan on looking up Theotakis in Cleveland. I think we all should. Let him and HA know what we think of them.

Who in their right mind would consign with Heritage thru MT? He is toxic. Second chances should be given, but not a second chance for shilling and cheating Hobbyists. Let him get a job at the Post Office. Oh, I forgot, they don't hire ex-cons.
Old 04-29-2018, 11:07 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I agree with Leon 100%. Mark did his time and I hope being around the quality guys at Heritage will allow him, over time, the opportunity to repair his reputation.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:49 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
I agree with Leon 100%. Mark did his time and I hope being around the quality guys at Heritage will allow him, over time, the opportunity to repair his reputation.
Would you feel the same way if Heritage had hired Bill Mastro?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:35 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Would you feel the same way if Heritage had hired Bill Mastro?
That's a hypothetical that would never happen. However, Mike Milken has been accepted back into the finance industry. Steroid users are allowed back into baseball. Look at A-Rod now as a commentator on ESPN game broadcasts.
Speaking of which, did anyone else catch when Jessica Mendoza (with A-Rod sitting right next to her), talking about Albert Pujols, saying that 3000 hits and 600 homers is an automatic entry to the HOF.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:42 PM
Peter Spaeth

I repeat the question that you didn't answer.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:47 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

As I said, it is a hypothetical that would never happen. However, if it does, I will be happy to tell you at that time how I feel.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:48 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
As I said, it is a hypothetical that would never happen. However, if it does, I will be happy to tell you at that time how I feel.
Sweet. I am using that with my wife.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:14 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
I’m curious about your stance. When NJ Dunkin admitted his wrongdoing (which was relatively minor in comparison to anything connected with Mastro), you were among the first to write him off with a “bye, Felicia” (which was funny, but that’s not the point.) So after NJ does his “time,” can we rightfully sssume you’d support his reentry into the mainstream so he can rebuild his reputation?

Sam Sw@rtz, but my full name is always in the header
Old 05-05-2018, 06:32 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Except their stated rules allow them to bid on their own auction items.

Would you be happy if a bank teller who stole money was back working at your bank and it was legal for them to steal from you?

There is a nuance in this case that is much different than just giving someone a second chance ...

jeff
Old 05-05-2018, 06:41 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post
Except their stated rules allow them to bid on their own auction items.

Would you be happy if a bank teller who stole money was back working at your bank and it was legal for them to steal from you?

There is a nuance in this case that is much different than just giving someone a second chance ...

jeff
That is why he makes such a great addition, he has experience.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:14 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Post Office

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantlefan View Post
+1 Keith.

Second chances should be given, but not a second chance for shilling and cheating Hobbyists. Let him get a job at the Post Office. Oh, I forgot, they don't hire ex-cons.
Yes, they do. Several years ago I interviewed and hired a person who had committed a felony when he was in his late teens. We discussed it at the interview and I hired him. He turned out to be one of the best employees that I hired during my 18 years as a Postmaster.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:13 AM
GaryPassamonte

I always liked Mark, too, but I don't like the fact that he was part of a plan that stole several thousand dollars from me and many, many others. I am all for second chances, but I know my conscience would not rest knowing zero effort has been made to pay restitution to the bilked bidders.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:19 AM
Howard Chernick

People should be given second chances in life but not allowed back in the same industry where they committed a crime.

I was shilled by Mastro and I can never forgive anyone who has ripped me off. I worked very hard my whole life to make a living. I am not going to forgive someone who stole money from me.

We should be trying to clean the hobby up. We are not here to give second chances to people who took advantage of us.

I have been a customer of Heritage for several years and now am having second thoughts after hearing who they hired.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 04-30-2018, 08:45 PM
Frank Evanov

Default HA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buythatcard View Post
People should be given second chances in life but not allowed back in the same industry where they committed a crime.

I was shilled by Mastro and I can never forgive anyone who has ripped me off. I worked very hard my whole life to make a living. I am not going to forgive someone who stole money from me.

We should be trying to clean the hobby up. We are not here to give second chances to people who took advantage of us.

I have been a customer of Heritage for several years and now am having second thoughts after hearing who they hired.
I feel the same way, Howard, and I emailed Chris Ivy when this first came out.

Basically Ivy told me to pound sand.

Edited to add:

"Pound Sand"

"The origin of the expression "go pound sand" is from a longer expression, "not to know (have enough sense to) pound sand down a rathole. "Filling rat holes with sand is menial work, and telling someone to pound sand down a hole is like telling them to go fly a kite. The expression dates to at least 1912 and is common in the midwestern United States."

Last edited by mantlefan; 04-30-2018 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 05-01-2018, 07:30 AM
keith janosky

Just curious I'm wondering if the people that support the guy from Mastro and saying he deserves a second chance and how nice of a guy he is would feel different if they got ripped of by him and the other Mastro guys and lost thousands of dollars. If I got ripped off by Mastro and the boys I sure wouldn't be on here saying nice things about him but that's just me.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:18 PM
Dav1d Sh1p$ey

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithsky View Post
Just curious I'm wondering if the people that support the guy from Mastro and saying he deserves a second chance and how nice of a guy he is would feel different if they got ripped of by him and the other Mastro guys and lost thousands of dollars. If I got ripped off by Mastro and the boys I sure wouldn't be on here saying nice things about him but that's just me.
Many here love Mastro. He made them thousands of dollars.

Last edited by slipk1068; 05-01-2018 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:23 PM
Frank Evanov

Default Many Don't

...and many people were ripped off for thousands by Mastro and aren't very happy.

Second chances are for the errors of youth. For adults of Theotakis' age, fraudulently shilling auctions and robbing tens of thousands of dollars was an act of crass greed. He knew that he was willfully and willingly cheating. He profited and he has admitted his sins. He has confessed his shameful actions, but I don't recall him providing any restitution to his victims. This was NOT a victimless crime and his victims are due restitution. That's where his second chance should begin. A simple mea culpa just doesn't work for this kind of criminal.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:55 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buythatcard View Post

There is also the the issue of 'fool me once shame on you....

If someone gets burned by Heritage now due to something caused by Theo, its not like Heritage can claim they didnt know about him when hiring him so I am sure they assessed the risk and find him a good risk. They will be in the line of fire.

Im all for giving people 2nd chances as well especially if they go into trouble as a teenager like someone said in this thread

with that being said, i am into giving people first chances too who may not have an opportunity due to someone being given a second chance...plus the reason the person may be given a second chance is because of unique knowledge and networking that may of partially be gained due to being part of a conspiracy/criminal enterprise. They can be all cleaned up now, but the fact they got all this information puts them ahead of someone trying to get a a first chance. Again i am talking generally.

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 05-16-2018 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:01 PM
Tim Newcomb

Default uh...

I don't imagine Mark T. is a teenager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
There is also the the issue of 'fool me once shame on you....

If someone gets burned by Heritage now due to something caused by Theo, its not like Heritage can claim they didnt know about him when hiring him so I am sure they assessed the risk and find him a good risk. They will be in the line of fire.

Im all for giving people 2nd chances as well especially if they go into trouble as a teenager like someone said in this thread

with that being said, i am into giving people first chances too who may not have an opportunity due to someone being given a second chance...plus the reason the person may be given a second chance is because of unique knowledge and networking that may of partially be gained due to being part of a conspiracy/criminal enterprise. They can be all cleaned up now, but the fact they got all this information puts them ahead of someone trying to get a a first chance. Again i am talking generally.