NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-15-2018, 06:29 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Thanks Rick. So if many people are hoarding Green Cobbs then that creates an artificial price point. No need for me to get caught up in it. There are plenty of other great cards to buy that are not in such great demand.
I don’t think your point jives with Rick’s. He said that people are buying a bunch of Green Cobbs and then selling them for substantial profit. So how is “hoarding” creating an artificial “price point” if the hoarders are selling at a higher price?
Old 04-15-2018, 06:31 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

The greater fool theory

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 04-15-2018, 06:36 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
I don’t think your point jives with Rick’s. He said that people are buying a bunch of Green Cobbs and then selling them for substantial profit. So how is “hoarding” creating an artificial “price point” if the hoarders are selling at a higher price?
Rick said holding/hoarding OR reselling. In other words they are depressing the available supply and trickling them out at an inflated price.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-15-2018 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:46 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Rick said holding/hoarding OR reselling. In other words they are depressing the available supply and trickling them out at an inflated price.
Peter, it was mentioned that there are display cases of 20+ Green Cobbs offered at the National by these “hoarders.” And they’re selling. How is that trickling out supply?

Last edited by mechanicalman; 04-15-2018 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:47 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Peter, it was mentioned that there are display cases of 20+ Green Cobbs offered at the National by these “hoarders.” And they’re selling. How is is trickling our supply?
I am just trying to interpret Rick's words, I have no idea about the Green Cobb market. Though if they're all priced to the moon, then they might as well not be for sale at all, unless you're someone who is price inelastic and just has to have one.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-15-2018 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:52 PM
Lar.ry Buch.heim

Quote:
Peter, it was mentioned that there are display cases of 20+ Green Cobbs offered at the National by these “hoarders.” And they’re selling. How is that trickling out supply?
Didn't a member show a pic a few months ago of a couple dozen green Cobb's he's hoarding?
Old 04-15-2018, 06:56 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
As Peter mentioned it is creating a price spiral. The hoarding causes greater demand and the price keeps going up. If dealers or collectors decide they no longer want to keep buying them, the price will go down. Cards that get very hot typically cool off. Can't say for sure, but right now it looks terribly overpriced.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:02 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
I am just trying to interpret Rick's words, I have no idea about the Green Cobb market. Though if they're all priced to the moon, then they might as well not be for sale at all, unless you're someone who is price inelastic and just has to have one.
I am just trying to replay Rick’s words (hi Rick), not interpret them. At the end of the day, he’s right, there are tons of guys who buy cards at auction and then offer them up at the National at significant markups. A bunch of guys on this board do it. And it must work, because it keeps happening. Not for me as I’m purely a collector, but as a capitalist, I can’t begrudge someone else for doing it.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:02 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
As Peter mentioned it is creating a price spiral. The hoarding causes greater demand and the price keeps going up. If dealers or collectors decide they no longer want to keep buying them, the price will go down. Cards that get very hot typically cool off. Can't say for sure, but right now it looks terribly overpriced.
These things usually self correct. Ultimately the supply is too big to control although you can create some short to medium term dislocations.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-15-2018 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:04 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesWS1979 View Post
Didn't a member show a pic a few months ago of a couple dozen green Cobb's he's hoarding?
Yeah, that’s mr rareback. Don’t know him personally, but I think he’s just generally buying a bunch of Cobbs. To own. For a long time. I don’t get the sense he’s trying to manipulate price as he’s said in posts that nothing is for sale. But he can speak for himself if he wishes.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:44 PM

Default Green Cobbs

PSA & SGC, combined, have Encapsulated over 1,100 T206 green portrait Cobbs. I don’t think anyone could possibly be buying enough of them to actually create a “hoarding” scenario. For the record, while the price of the green Cobb has drastically escalated, its only those somewhat scare “dead-centered” and rich green background examples that are realizing the super high price tags.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:16 PM
pete ullman

Green Cobb is hot alright...nice looking 2-2.5 over 5K...already in REA?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-04-15 at 9.15.11 PM.jpg (20.3 KB, 684 views)
Old 04-15-2018, 08:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageclout View Post
PSA & SGC, combined, have Encapsulated over 1,100 T206 green portrait Cobbs. I don’t think anyone could possibly be buying enough of them to actually create a “hoarding” scenario. For the record, while the price of the green Cobb has drastically escalated, its only those somewhat scare “dead-centered” and rich green background examples that are realizing the super high price tags.
excellent points. anyone who thinks that 20-30 cards of any t206 cobb is a "hoard" doesn't understand how many t206s exist.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:24 PM
Rick Clemens

One dealer at the National mentioned that he buys all the Green Cobb's he can by bidding high. It is a very popular card with plenty of demand to start with. I definitely believe if two, or even one dealer with deep pockets speculated and bought all they could it impact the supply and create hungry buyers. A PSA Cobb PSA 2 being at 6k in only 2 days of bidding is hard to believe
Old 04-15-2018, 08:32 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
excellent points. anyone who thinks that 20-30 cards of any t206 cobb is a "hoard" doesn't understand how many t206s exist.
But in the short term, the "float" isn't that great, not that many are for sale, so it is possible for a few people to buy most of the ones that come on the market or at least most of the ones meeting certain criteria.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-15-2018 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:07 AM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

The population of '52 topps mantles haven't hurt its value. Not saying a green Cobb is more iconic than a '52 Mick. However, the green Cobb is an iconic card. These prices might be the new normal. Who knows, maybe today's prices will be viewed as a bargain at some point.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:54 AM
Joshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanH3 View Post
The population of '52 topps mantles haven't hurt its value. Not saying a green Cobb is more iconic than a '52 Mick. However, the green Cobb is an iconic card. These prices might be the new normal. Who knows, maybe today's prices will be viewed as a bargain at some point.
+1,

notwithstanding the rise past 2 years, I took the plunge and bought a green Cobb last month. Had to fill a hole in my collection, I’m sure there are more others like me... compared to what you see on the pop report.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:49 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

'52 Mantle is another hyped card. Think about it, to get hyped a card needs to be available, but not so much that you are tripping over it, and have a story. No sense hyping a card if you can't acquire a bunch of before the ad campaign begins.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:52 AM
Peter Spaeth

52 Mantles at least in midgrade seem to have come down back towards the earth. I could be wrong but I don't think we'll see 4s selling for 50 or even 60K for quite some time.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:01 AM
Matt

Quote:
52 Mantles at least in midgrade seem to have come down back towards the earth. I could be wrong but I don't think we'll see 4s selling for 50 or even 60K for quite some time.
I'd take the wager that a dead-centered PSA 4 with a great image hits 50k— in the right setting, i.e., Heritage, REA, etc.

Last edited by MattyC; 04-16-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:18 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
I'd take the wager that a dead-centered PSA 4 with a great image hits 50k— in the right setting, i.e., Heritage, REA, etc.
If we bet, you can't bid.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:36 AM
Matt

Quote:
If we bet, you can't bid.
Deal. I will be tapped for years anyway after all these Spring auctions end
Old 04-16-2018, 10:55 AM
Eric
Eric

Quote:
Deal. I will be tapped for years anyway after all these Spring auctions end
Dang. Isn't that the truth. Amazing stuff all around
Old 04-16-2018, 10:57 AM

Default Dead Center Mantle

Quote:
+1
Old 04-16-2018, 11:31 AM
Paul

Quote:
#this

I sold my crispy clean SGC 50 Green Cobb two years ago, and have been really sweating the rising prices. I was SHOCKED when it was resold by Goodwin just a couple of weeks ago for "only" $6,400. The reason -- CENTERING!

http://goodwinandco.com/1910_Piedmon...-LOT37476.aspx

Top to bottom centering like this never bothered me on a T206, but it obviously keeps this card out of the stratosphere!

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 04-16-2018, 12:03 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

It's the debate we always have. Why do some cards explode and other don't. Why the Eddie Plank card? Why Chief Bender? The card has the wow factor. I will never buy one and never own one yet every time I see the card I think "wow, that's a beautiful really really neat card." (Sanitized reaction of course. Actual reaction more like "damm, that's an 'effin great card.")

Last edited by Snapolit1; 04-16-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
#this

I sold my crispy clean SGC 50 Green Cobb two years ago, and have been really sweating the rising prices. I was SHOCKED when it was resold by Goodwin just a couple of weeks ago for "only" $6,400. The reason -- CENTERING!

http://goodwinandco.com/1910_Piedmon...-LOT37476.aspx

Top to bottom centering like this never bothered me on a T206, but it obviously keeps this card out of the stratosphere!
In my opinion, the issue with this card is not as much the top-bottom OC, as it is the fact that his name is partially cut. The card is virtually miscut and I think you are smart to have sold it when you did. Minor top-bottom OC that does not effect the name does not bother me (see this Cobb by comparison -- sorry the pic sucks, the card is much prettier in person)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T206 Cobb - Green front.jpg (31.9 KB, 617 views)
Old 04-16-2018, 12:49 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
+1
I’m aware of at least one private sale in the last couple months that confirms this bet.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:09 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I love the smell of the REA catalog in the morning.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:01 AM
Eric
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I love the smell of the REA catalog in the morning.
In the morning. In the afternoon. Pretty much anytime!
Old 04-17-2018, 09:26 AM
Mike

I was told that everybody's mother threw out their cards and then I continue to receive auction catalogs filled with cards from the pre war years and the '50's. How did all these cards survive the WWI and WW2 wars and our mothers ? And in Mint condition !!! We all played with our cards. Who stored these cards and never played with them ?
Old 04-17-2018, 09:52 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
I was told that everybody's mother threw out their cards and then I continue to receive auction catalogs filled with cards from the pre war years and the '50's. How did all these cards survive the WWI and WW2 wars and our mothers ? And in Mint condition !!! We all played with our cards. Who stored these cards and never played with them ?
Probably not the buying group.
Got the catalog yesterday. There will be several hours of reading enjoyment over the next few weeks.

Last edited by Leon; 04-18-2018 at 07:21 AM.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:56 AM
P@trick R.omolo

My wife and I took a ride down to REA yesterday. We chatted with
Michael and Brian and we got to see the Cobb Broad Leaf and Conroy
Drum, Brian and the group at REA couldn't be more accommodating.

Last edited by Pat R; 04-18-2018 at 06:57 AM.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:24 PM

Anyone else having trouble viewing the auction? Page won’t load?
Old 04-18-2018, 03:25 PM
Guy Bourque

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisguy View Post
Anyone else having trouble viewing the auction? Page won’t load?

Same problem for me
Old 04-18-2018, 03:29 PM
Brian Dwyer

The company that hosts our servers is currently experiencing a major outage. Fixing it and going back online is their primary concern right now. We are in constant contact with our auction hosting provider and the support team at the server company, and we are hopeful there will be a speedy resolution.

Brian
Old 04-18-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacktrack View Post
The company that hosts our servers is currently experiencing a major outage. Fixing it and going back online is their primary concern right now. We are in constant contact with our auction hosting provider and the support team at the server company, and we are hopeful there will be a speedy resolution.

Brian
Thanks Brian.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:00 PM
Eric
Eric

Sorry to hear about problems with the site Brian, but glad to hear it is not just my computer!
Old 04-18-2018, 04:08 PM
Brian Dwyer

This is a good reminder for everyone to spend some quality time with the 720-page catalog that has hopefully arrived to most bidders by now. The digital catalog is also available to anyone who wants to browse on their computer:

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/about/catalog.php

Brian
Old 04-18-2018, 04:32 PM

Good news, now no one can outbid me!
Old 04-18-2018, 04:54 PM

This auctions is what dreams are made of
Old 04-18-2018, 05:08 PM
Brian Dwyer

and we're back!

Thank you for your patience.

Brian
Old 04-18-2018, 05:13 PM
Eric
Eric

Thanks for letting us know.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:59 AM

Default 52 Mantle

Quote:
Nicely centered SGC 5 ‘52 Topps Mantle now over $50K....and counting! You are spot on Matty!

Last edited by Vintageclout; 04-19-2018 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:03 PM
Eric
Eric

Quote:
Nicely centered SGC 5 ‘52 Topps Mantle now over $50K....and counting! You are spot on Matty!
Such a difficult card to find nicely centered in that mid grade area with only minor flaws. That is a real nice example.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:15 PM

Default 52 Mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowadoc77 View Post
Such a difficult card to find nicely centered in that mid grade area with only minor flaws. That is a real nice example.
+1
Old 04-19-2018, 12:59 PM

Which 52 MM are you guys referring to? the only well centered example I see is the PSA 9, all others are OC, or tilted.

Last edited by MVSNYC; 04-19-2018 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:13 PM

Default REA prices, oh my!

Oh my, the current bids of decent REA stuff is already high, and going higher I am sure. A lot of what used to be in my budget isn't anymore, sigh. What do you all do, drop your standards from 5-6 grade and start looking at 2-4 grade stuff? Or bag it on the Iconic names and go for 2nd tier HOF players? Or save up to just buy 1, maybe 2 cards all year? Maybe start to downsize, sell a few to buy one? Decisions, decisions. Glad I picked up what I did 10-20 years ago, whew.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:38 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100backstroke View Post
What do you all do, drop your standards from 5-6 grade and start looking at 2-4 grade stuff?.
This is what I have been doing. Going after grades 1-3. I'm officially an armpit collector. Sigh.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:51 AM
Taylor Hamilton

I’m with you...I’d rather have iconic cards of the greats in low grades vs. higher grades of second tier HOFers...