NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-03-2011, 11:12 PM

Default Favorite ebay, flea market, or antique mall find

What was your favorite ebay, flea market, or antique mall find?
For me, it is whenever I find an early Pre-1940 Pro Basketball item. On ebay this has included a New York Celtics game used pair of shorts, programs of the New York Celtics, Philadelphia Sphas, Troy Trojans, and Kingston Colonials, numerous sports broadsides and postcards, among other things.
How about you?
Thanks, Andy Sandler alwysyakn@aol.com
Old 10-04-2011, 05:13 AM
Scott

I never found any "huge hits", but Id say, a vintage Braves and Red Sox celluloid schedule for 18.00, that I got 165 for at an antique group shop. Also, a 1973 season complete stratomatc baseball game. Ten bucks, turned into 152.00 or something.

Never really found anything great that I ended up keeping , but I LOVE going to the shops/Flea markets.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:25 AM
Brock

I've had several big hits on ebay. Mine included Ralph Kiners All-star bat for $600, Mickey Mantle game used bat for $100, Nap, LaJoie for $700, local auction Larry Berra bat for $45, Wade Boggs minor league for $600.

Last edited by yanks12025; 10-04-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:16 AM

In the very early days of ebay it was amazing what you could find -- I was able to purchase game bats that included Ty Cobb, Tony Lazzeri and Jackie Robinson.
One of my favorite stories: I won two bats at auction from the same dealer -- there were no photos, but the bats were described as 1950s coaches model bats of Heinie Manush and Luke Appling. The bats arrived and the Manush was indeed a 50s model, but the Appling was a brand new show model bat. I contacted the seller and he said he couldn't really afford to refund my money, but did mention he had some other bats and I could have my choice in an exchange -- the only other HOFer he had was a Walter Johnson, so he sent me that and it turned out to be what is the earliest known signature model Johnson gamer.
Good deals still pop up on ebay now and then, but there is much more competition -- I did find manage to buy in the last couple of years game bats of Tris Speaker, Eddie Collins, Miller Huggins and Paul Waner -- all but the Huggins were incrrectly listed as store models.
I know there are others who spend much more time scouring ebay and flea markets, so I'm looking forward to hearing their treasure hunting stories -- I'm sure Carlton has some amazing stories that he has yet to share about flea amerket finds!

Greg
Old 10-04-2011, 06:19 AM
T0dd M@rcum

,my coolest find on ebay was Hal Greer's high school diploma from Douglas. Not only a NBA HOFer, but also the first African American to play for a "white" school in WV. If I ever run into him, I'll ask him if he wants it back. As we are both MU alums, I figure it will happen at some point. He went bankrupt in the early 80s and a lot of his stuff got scattered to the wind when his home was sold at auction...figure this is the residue of that event.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhey24 View Post
In the very early days of ebay it was amazing what you could find -- I was able to purchase game bats that included Ty Cobb, Tony Lazzeri and Jackie Robinson.
One of my favorite stories: I won two bats at auction from the same dealer -- there were no photos, but the bats were described as 1950s coaches model bats of Heinie Manush and Luke Appling. The bats arrived and the Manush was indeed a 50s model, but the Appling was a brand new show model bat. I contacted the seller and he said he couldn't really afford to refund my money, but did mention he had some other bats and I could have my choice in an exchange -- the only other HOFer he had was a Walter Johnson, so he sent me that and it turned out to be what is the earliest known signature model Johnson gamer.
Good deals still pop up on ebay now and then, but there is much more competition -- I did find manage to buy in the last couple of years game bats of Tris Speaker, Eddie Collins, Miller Huggins and Paul Waner -- all but the Huggins were incrrectly listed as store models.
I know there are others who spend much more time scouring ebay and flea markets, so I'm looking forward to hearing their treasure hunting stories -- I'm sure Carlton has some amazing stories that he has yet to share about flea amerket finds!

Greg
Hey Greg,

Let's see a picture of that Walter Johnson earliest model signature game bat.
Awesome story!!

Last edited by Scott Garner; 10-04-2011 at 07:44 AM.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:07 AM
Belltown Vintage

Favorite antique store find was a 1930's friction stripe football jersey, nearly perfect condition, for $40.
Favorite ebay find was a players c.1911 scorebook and equipment, including a 1910-14 Louisville slugger used in games against professional black teams.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:40 AM
Scott R

Found an ungraded 1916 Sporting news Buck Weaver on an ebay auction and won it for only $66.00 and it ended up grading PSA 4. That was a great day for me, about 8 years ago.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:52 AM

Default Favorite all time finds

My favorite all-time antique mall finds would include:

1) HOF Ted Lyon's 1926 no-hitter ticket and scorebook that I was able to find earlier this year. This came from an antique shop in Caimbridge, MA.
2) A scored program from HOF Sandy Koufax's incredible 382K game in 1965. This record would be broken by Nolan Ryan's NL standard of 383 K's in 1973 (note that this was the first year of the designated hitter). What was really neat about the Koufax program is that I found it in an antique mall right up the street from my house when I lived in So Cal. I think I paid $10 for the program back in the early 1990's.

My all-time favorite eBay find was also ironically a pickup from earlier this year. An actual game used ball with vintage fountain pen inscription from HB "Dutch" Leonard's no-hitter in 1916 at Fenway Park.

Here are a few photos. Sorry for the crappy quality of the shots; I didn't take them. I need to take the time to upgrade these photos to do them justice.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:58 AM

Two of my favorite Ebay finds. First a 1907 picture of the Victor Mill team with Joe Jackson. Second the pool table that was originally in the Vernor's mansion and was featured in the movie The American President. The seller had the pool table listed for $150,000 on a major billiard website for several years and actually turned down an offer of 100K. For whatever reason he wanted to sell it fast and put it on Ebay with no reserve. I bid 40K right at the end and got it for $3600. vm.jpg

IMG_5970.jpg
Old 10-04-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dell webb View Post
Two of my favorite Ebay finds. First a 1907 picture of the Victor Mill team with Joe Jackson. Second the pool table that was originally in the Vernor's mansion and was featured in the movie The American President. The seller had the pool table listed for $150,000 on a major billiard website for several years and actually turned down an offer of 100K. For whatever reason he wanted to sell it fast and put it on Ebay with no reserve. I bid 40K right at the end and got it for $3600. Attachment 46807

Attachment 46808
Georgeous pool table! What a deal!!
Old 10-04-2011, 09:36 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

I want that pool table. Awesome!!!!!!
Old 10-04-2011, 12:01 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Default Cool Thread

I have been going to Antique Shows, Flea Markets, Paper Shows, etc. since the mid 1980's. I have had many great finds but the 2 below stand out.

At an antique show in PA. I purchased a bunch (maybe 50 to 75) of 1950's ticket stubs from the Yankees and Dodgers. I paid $250 for the group. In the lot was the Dodgers and Giants Bobby Thompson playoff hr stub and also the first game (P1 and P2). Sold the pair for $1,600.

My biggest find was many years ago when eBay had just begun (1997ish). I advertised in the newspaper pretty regularly for sports memorabilia wanted. I got a call from a strange guy who wanted me to meet him at a self storage place about 15 minutes from my house. I was pretty nervous, but what a find. He had a mint collection of 1930's - 1950's yearbooks, programs, magazines from the Dodgers, Yankees, Packers, etc. It was about 300 pieces and I paid $3,200. I didn't realize it but included was a Packers Redskins Championship Program from the 1930's. I sold that one item for $2,200 on eBay.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:55 PM

Default wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dell webb View Post
Two of my favorite Ebay finds. First a 1907 picture of the Victor Mill team with Joe Jackson. Second the pool table that was originally in the Vernor's mansion and was featured in the movie The American President. The seller had the pool table listed for $150,000 on a major billiard website for several years and actually turned down an offer of 100K. For whatever reason he wanted to sell it fast and put it on Ebay with no reserve. I bid 40K right at the end and got it for $3600. Attachment 46807

Attachment 46808
On that pool table WOW...I litterally let out a laugh when I read that..bid 40K, got for $3600...man that's a story....you'd be buying the pizza that night!...a solid congratulations!

This is a good thread...I may have to get involved latter when get time

Old 10-04-2011, 05:30 PM

Default Antique Mall in Wisconsin

Found a 1969-72 Thurman Munson game bat in a barrel of bats last November for under $50.00. It still happens once in awhile...you just have to keep looking!
Old 10-04-2011, 05:48 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Got a Ruth game bat (possibly) for $500 buy it now!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruthbat1.jpg (80.5 KB, 796 views)
Old 10-04-2011, 08:53 PM

I don't think I'll ever get tired of showing this one off. I purchased this Grover Cleveland Alexander signed baseball on Ebay only about a month or two ago. The auction had no photo and was described as being signed by GL Alexander. I took a risk and purchased the baseball sight unseen for $80.

A week goes by. I receive the baseball and soon after its being authenticated by JSA. Total cost to me on this beauty: $250.

The deals are still out there.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:55 PM
Alan Elefson

Hi-
I am an avid flea market/antique shop goer and have been for a number of years. I found a group of Joe Dimaggio ca 1940s tattoos/transfers along with other characters (like Dick Tracy) at a flea market for 40.00. I sold them to a few different dealers for over 2000.00.
Over the summer I found a couple of really cool 19th century bats for less than 50.00 each at a flea market. Just this past weekend I found a Ruth 250 model bat (31 inches) for 3.00 and an OJ of Glasscock that was rebacked (but has a decent image) for 25.00.
I go to my favorite flea market nearly every Sunday. I try to get there as close to sunrise as possible and I ask every dealer that carries antiques if they have early baseball items. Several dealers save me any old baseball item as I have developed a strong rapport with them over the years. It makes the early morning efforts and hour drive each way worth it by knowing I will almost always come home with something.
More than 90% of my collection comes from flea market and antiquing finds. I really value finding items "in the rough" as opposed to trolling ebay or major auction houses. It definitely helps to live in the Northeast of course.
Alan
Old 10-05-2011, 01:38 AM
Brandon

Wow some absolutely fantastic finds...I'm afraid my finds pale in comparison to others. I have to collect on a budget so I am naturally extremely thrifty when buying. That's what is great about this hobby...there are great finds to be had out there if you do the research and act quickly when those opportunities arise!

A couple of my recent finds:

The Melvin Ott signed '34 Cardinals Score Card (posted on here about it) paid: $50

A lot of 45 Different 1930's Wheaties Panels for $30. I sold about 20 of them but kept all the HOFers.

A Washington Redskins Real Face Bobblehead Paid $47
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Merchandise 001.jpg (78.1 KB, 736 views)
File Type: jpg Baseball Memorabilia 001.jpg (77.5 KB, 733 views)
Old 10-05-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Hey Greg,

Let's see a picture of that Walter Johnson earliest model signature game bat.
Awesome story!!
Scott,

Here is a photo of the Walter Johnson bat (from his days with the Indians), along with a bat of another pretty fair pitcher, Lefty Grove.

Greg
http://www.baseballbasement.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bats on wall.jpg (48.4 KB, 708 views)

Last edited by sayhey24; 10-05-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:59 AM

Boy Greg, those are sweet! And since you're taking request I'd love to see those Cooperstown signs again.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Scott,

Here is a photo of the Walter Johnson bat (from his days with the Indians), along with a bat of another pretty fair pitcher, Lefty Grove.

Greg
Thanks Greg! Great looking bats!! Wow!
Old 10-05-2011, 09:27 AM
M@tt Schw@de

Mine won't be a big deal to anyone else, but on Christmas night of 2005, I won an auction for a signed index card of former University of Dayton basketball coach Tom Blackburn. Blackburn is credited with bringing Dayton to a national power in the 1950's and 1960's, making the NIT finals six times and finally winning in it 1962. Blackburn passed away right before the final game of the 1964 season to cancer when he still was the active coach.

I purchased the index card for a WHOPPING $8 dollars and have not seen a Blackburn signature before that or ever again. I cover Dayton basketball as a beat reporter and know a lot of fans and alums. I've been offered $500 for the index card, but there's no way I am giving that up.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:41 AM
Brock

Quote:
Scott,

Greg
How is the Johnson a gamer if he was a manager at the time. It would be a post career bat....
Old 10-05-2011, 09:57 AM

Here you go Jimmy -- this is one of the signs posted on the road leading to Cooperstown for the 1939 induction ceremony (it has reflective paint that you don't see in person, but is picked up by the camera flash). Don't mean to hijack the thread by showing this, but Jimmy we're all so glad to have you back that I'm glad to answer a request!

Brock -- as I said, it's from his days with the Indians -- a game model bat that is known by bat collectors as a coaches bat (not to be confused by a bat that was made for a player after his career, but never saw a ball field).

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cooperstown sign.jpg (64.6 KB, 804 views)
Old 10-05-2011, 11:01 AM
Scott Mt. Joy

Great stories everyone and some cool items/deals.

I mainly prowl ebay and one of my favorite finds a number of years ago was a person selling off stuff from the estate of minor league player Bob Thurman and one of the items was a photo of the PR Santurce with him, Roberto Clemente and another player. It was being sold in a terrible metal frame with weak photos. There was no pics of the back of the photo so I sent the seller a message asking if I could get a scan of the back. He said he could not take any pics as the frame would fall apart if he tried, I emailed him again that it made a big difference on value if he could. He refused and let the auction run, I took a chance not sure if it was a reprint or such and won it for a bit over $200. I got the package and quickly removed it from the cheap $5 frame and now had a 1954 pre major league Clemente photo. Now one of my most prized Clemente items!

Old 10-05-2011, 02:53 PM
Clint

Scott, that Clemente photo probably came out of Wichita. Thurman lived here. I believe his wife sold some of his estate. The card shop I go to still has a few of these photos including the ugly frames your talking about. Nothing with Clemente in it though.

Greg, awesome Johnson bat and that Grove bat is sweet too.

Here's one I picked up off ebay. Not much of a story I got it as a bin. I must have seen it immediately after it was listed. I think she got some offers after I had already won it as she was kind of rude during the transaction. Luckily for me she went through with it. I think it was around $100-150.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jjack.jpg (48.9 KB, 750 views)
Old 10-05-2011, 02:59 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I don't really do much prospecting but I have scored some nice hits on miscategorized items on Ebay:

I got this Benny Hill autographed PC at a postcard show where the seller not only sold it for a pittance but showed me that it was signed when I was checking out. Whatever...

Same seller had no idea what this was and let it go for 10% of value:

Best of all is when I know something and hope like heck that the rest of the world misses it--and they do. When I saw this John C. Heenan CDV I knew it was something special because I'd seen an Abner Doubleday with the same kind of copyright notice on it. I did some research and discovered that the copyright notice is pre-1870 and that the card is in fact the earliest known commercially-issued boxing card, made and sold commercially before 1870:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 09-14-2015 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfarmboy View Post
Scott, that Clemente photo probably came out of Wichita. Thurman lived here. I believe his wife sold some of his estate. The card shop I go to still has a few of these photos including the ugly frames your talking about. Nothing with Clemente in it though.

Greg, awesome Johnson bat and that Grove bat is sweet too.

Here's one I picked up off ebay. Not much of a story I got it as a bin. I must have seen it immediately after it was listed. I think she got some offers after I had already won it as she was kind of rude during the transaction. Luckily for me she went through with it. I think it was around $100-150.
That is a spectacular piece Clint! Just a gorgeous illustration. Joe never looked so good.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:59 AM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Great great stories. Unfortunately I don't have any stories myself but I love the 1939 Hall of Fame Induction sign. Incredible stuff!!
Old 10-06-2011, 07:09 AM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig View Post
Great great stories. Unfortunately I don't have any stories myself but I love the 1939 Hall of Fame Induction sign. Incredible stuff!!
SO DO I..I would LOVE that sign
Old 10-06-2011, 07:25 AM

Scott --

Since a couple of these were great ebay finds ( I don't want to derail the thread too much), I thought I'd share with you bats of some other no-hitter pitchers.

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pitchers 1.jpg (75.7 KB, 905 views)
File Type: jpg pitchers 2.jpg (76.4 KB, 902 views)
Old 10-06-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Scott --

Since a couple of these were great ebay finds ( I don't want to derail the thread too much), I thought I'd share with you bats of some other no-hitter pitchers.

Greg
Wow Greg!! Thanks for the post. That's a lot of vintage no-hit pitcher lumber. Neat!!
Old 10-10-2011, 08:41 AM

Default Pool Table

Now that is an Ebay find! That's a great piece!
Old 10-11-2011, 12:10 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

This is easily my favorite Ebay find ever. Especially because I get to wear and enjoy it on a regular basis. I found it a few years ago poorly listed as a "Tops" baseball watch. I have never seen nor heard of another out there as of yet. I believe that this was a presentation piece for a Topps Banquet.

It's a 10K gold Hamilton Automatic, and she may run a wee bit fast but I don't care. The watch face is emblazoned with "TOPPS AWARD" with the trophy dead center. It's very intricately done by the factory and beautiful. The back is engraved with "TOPPS FIRST TEAM ALL-AMERICA 1969".

I would love if anyone actually knew anything about this. I would love to know the provenance of who this was actually given to. I'm really not even sure of the sport honestly. It seems like Topps used the phrase all-america more for football, but I am grasping at straws. I have thought it may be even an award for the best college player. I just don't know, maybe one of you does? I just know I love it and lots of people ask about it, it makes a good story.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg topps award 003.jpg (15.5 KB, 699 views)
File Type: jpg topps award 004.jpg (13.5 KB, 699 views)
File Type: jpg topps award.jpg (43.2 KB, 707 views)
Old 10-11-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
This is easily my favorite Ebay find ever. Especially because I get to wear and enjoy it on a regular basis. I found it a few years ago poorly listed as a "Tops" baseball watch. I have never seen nor heard of another out there as of yet. I believe that this was a presentation piece for a Topps Banquet.

It's a 10K gold Hamilton Automatic, and she may run a wee bit fast but I don't care. The watch face is emblazoned with "TOPPS AWARD" with the trophy dead center. It's very intricately done by the factory and beautiful. The back is engraved with "TOPPS FIRST TEAM ALL-AMERICA 1969".

I would love if anyone actually knew anything about this. I would love to know the provenance of who this was actually given to. I'm really not even sure of the sport honestly. It seems like Topps used the phrase all-america more for football, but I am grasping at straws. I have thought it may be even an award for the best college player. I just don't know, maybe one of you does? I just know I love it and lots of people ask about it, it makes a good story.
Well Done Justin. That is a fantastic find! I love stuff like that.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:09 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

First Team All America sounds like college football.

Or not...
Old 10-12-2011, 04:40 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
First Team All America sounds like college football.
That's what I have thought also. However, the trophy is that of baseball player. It seems they would have some football reference, but maybe they presented these across a field of sports at the time and the baseball trophy was the default. Really, "first team all-america" can be any college sport, from Soccer to Lacrosse. I am sure it has to be from the big three sports and they couldn't have handed out enough watches for every First team all-american in even one sport because it would have been numerous watches, some would have surfaced here and there. It was probably at a Topps Banquet trying to impress some notable college players coming up. Which at Topps the emphasis was mostly in Baseball during the late 60's. I wish it had a name on it.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:52 AM
Doug Goodman

It's about a foot and a half square, and cost me 1000 yen (about $8 at the time) at a flea market in Japan...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Japanese-board-game (1).jpg (71.5 KB, 553 views)
File Type: jpg Japanese-board-game (2).jpg (68.5 KB, 553 views)
File Type: jpg Japanese-board-game (3).jpg (72.1 KB, 547 views)
Old 10-13-2011, 11:09 AM
pariah1107

My favorite ebay item has to do with synchronicity (no, not the Police album). It had been about six months of burning my retnas looking at local library microfiche about the elusive career of Jimmy Claxton, when there it was on ebay; a "Scott Motors of Reno v. Round Mountain baseball ticket, August 4, 1935". Claxton was the pitcher for Scott Motors from 1933-35 (Scott Motors won 33 straight 1932-33), and his son Ed Claxton Sr. was a catcher for the Scott Motors Juniors in 1935. The ticket was $25.

I couldn't believe my luck, all that painstaking library research actually paid off. Had this ticket appeared on ebay a month earlier I would have had no idea about the connection to Claxton. It may not be a landfall find but damn, I EARNED that ticket.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:42 AM

Default Contrats

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariah1107 View Post
My favorite ebay item has to do with synchronicity (no, not the Police album). It had been about six months of burning my retnas looking at local library microfiche about the elusive career of Jimmy Claxton, when there it was on ebay; a "Scott Motors of Reno v. Round Mountain baseball ticket, August 4, 1935". Claxton was the pitcher for Scott Motors from 1933-35 (Scott Motors won 33 straight 1932-33), and his son Ed Claxton Sr. was a catcher for the Scott Motors Juniors in 1935. The ticket was $25.

I couldn't believe my luck, all that painstaking library research actually paid off. Had this ticket appeared on ebay a month earlier I would have had no idea about the connection to Claxton. It may not be a landfall find but damn, I EARNED that ticket.
Way to go man...that's work'n it, I like the story...congrats. Let's see a photo. Newspaper microfilm is a strong research tool you can really pinpoint stuff with...all you need is time!

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 10-13-2011 at 11:44 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-13-2011, 04:33 PM

I was born 8/16/1961. So the Life Magazine of that date is Mantle and Maris. Found it in Long Beach Island, NJ, in 2010. For $1. As well as some nice John F. Kennedy covers. Antique store in NJ had a 1954 Topps wrapper for $1 in 1985.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:00 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariah1107 View Post

Congrats! Timing can be everything in this thing of ours...

Or not...
Old 10-14-2011, 05:43 PM
Dan Bretta

I've found so many incredible deals over the years I can't even remember them all so I'll just go through my photobucket and scroll down the photos.

Picked up this Walter Hagen advertising sign for $75 at the local antique show

I rarely travel for auctions, but one that listed antique baseball equipment caught my eye so I got up early and made the 200 mile trip...I got everything pictured here for less than $50 total..including a Spalding Ring Bat

Antique show find - $50

Garage Sale Find -Stall And Dean Jim Delehanty Bat- $5

Local Antique show find - HUGE Portland Beavers Cabinet Photo - $400

Local Auction buy - 1929 A's Panorama - $200

All these bats came from the same garage sale I got the Delehanty bat at..they were $5 each...includes at TC40 Ty Cobb, Draper Maynard Major League Model, 19th Century Victor Sporting Goods Bat, and a Roberto Clemente store model bat.

These three Cameo pins were a local antique show pickup and apparently I sold the Sullivan too cheaply..I didn't do my homework...I started getting emails from people like Rob Lifson telling me that it was a never before seen Cameo pin..ah well. I only paid $250 for the lot of three pins and sold them for over $2,000 total.

TGI Friday's going out of business sale - $100

I got these 11 baseballs and the large framed composite photo at an antique shop in Fremont, Nebraska...all of the baseballs were team signed by the various minor league clubs that pitcher Vern Voegler played for in the 1930s...including a 1937 Brooklyn Dodgers ball that he must have gotten from a Spring Training invite...Can't recall what I paid for the lot...maybe $300?

I have a ton more items I could list, but I don't want to break Barry's computer so I'll leave it here.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:21 PM
Matt

Default Crosley Field seats...

It's usually tough to 'find' anything at most antique malls, but my Dad and I got lucky in Fort Myers, Florida in about 2005. I asked the guy working there if he had anything baseball related and he said, yes, but it's in the back room. He proceeded to bring out these seats from Crosley Field. They were in 2 sections for a total of 6 seats with figural ends on each end. The bad news was that someone apparently sandblasted the original paint off them at an earlier date, but there was some original orange paint hidden in crevices and cracks around the seat brackets (I've also seen the Crosley Field seats in green, but don't know at what time the paint color was changed?). Overall, the seats were solid. He said the original owner had lived in the Cincinnati area and had them shipped to Florida after retirement as evidenced by a moving company shipping tag attached. The price? $300. The cost to get them 20+ hours north to Michigan? The mall owner had a buddy driving the next week to northern Indiana who offered to bring them the extra hour north for only $100...........Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0377.jpg (72.0 KB, 577 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0374.jpg (70.0 KB, 579 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0378.jpg (73.3 KB, 584 views)
Old 10-15-2011, 01:41 PM
J@RR0D

Dan, that's a great collection. I love the '29 A's panorama.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:42 PM
Belltown Vintage

Default 1892 Binghamton Bingos

I can't believe I forgot about this one. I saw this on ebay and offered the seller $100. He took it. I had no idea that Willie Keeler was in the picture, only that it was a cabinet of an 1800's minor league team, so at the time a price of $100 was about fair.

When I opened the mailing envelope, I immediately recognized Keeler. I practically ran home to google the Bingos, and sure enough - there was Keeler's name.

I did not even have to hire a facial recognition expert!!!

Old 10-15-2011, 07:44 PM
Dan Brown

I did not even have to hire a facial recognition expert!!!
lol
Old 10-16-2011, 09:41 AM
Barry Sloate

Keeler played a full season at Binghamton in 1892, his first in professional ball. Is that on the list as his first appearance on a baseball card/cabinet?
Old 10-16-2011, 07:53 PM

I hit an antique shop back home in Michigan a few years back when I was initially attracted by a photo of Dizzy Trout. It was signed at one point but the signature was so faded the only way you could tell was to hold it up to the light and you could see the indentation on the photo. As I recall it was priced at $120 so I passed. I then saw the Amos Alonzo Stagg photo which was priced at $18....SOLD! I'm not a big football collector but this was too cool to pass up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stagg Photo-1.jpg (73.6 KB, 446 views)

Always on the lookout for Jim Abbott, vintage Olympic/Team USA baseball and Detroit Tigers.