NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-12-2006, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Default Anyone know the high bidder on my T206 Cobb?

Posted By: Kary

Hi everyone. I was just wondering if anyone has dealt with ebay user "monkey.business". He is Cardboard Collectibles from L.A. and won both my Walter Johnson and Ty Cobb auctions by bidding in the last couple of minutes. When I e-mailed him the total of $3,499 which included the $4 shipping and $15 insurance on the Johnson and $20 insurance on the Cobb, he replied saying hat he would pay with paypal. A short time later he began complaining about the high price of shipping/ins. and said he would pay that price if I would Express mail him the cards. I explained that it will cost me more for ship/ins. than what I charged and that I am going to stick with the terms in my auctions which was to ship USPS Priority. He told me that I can ship Express for $15 and he has insurance that will cover both of us. After going back and forth with a few e-mails, he finally told me that he doesn't want to deal with me and I should sell the cards to someone else. I had bidders who had great feedback and I was confident wouldn't be a problem until this guy bid. Anyone know him or have any advice? Thanks.

Kary

Old 04-12-2006, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

He is being an ass, but if you have saved the e-mail where he said his insurance would cover it, I would send it to him with a signature required and leave it at that. The lawyers here may know better, but I think he is relieving you of liability or the need to insure since he told you his insurance would cover any problem. So I would think that sending it uninsured is ok now on your side. But I would definately require a signature on the recieving end.
JimB
Anybody who complains about $35 of shipping and insurance on a $3500 purchase is a real ass.

Old 04-12-2006, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brent Butcher

If he wants to arrange his own shipping don't except Paypal. Paypal has very strict shipping requirements when the value is over $250 and even if you do everything right he could still make a claim through his cc and get his money back. If he wants to use Paypal it should be on your terms otherwise I would make him pay with a mo or cert check.

Old 04-12-2006, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...shipping is $3.50, no matter how many auctions of mine you win, and I'll cover insurance on all purchases that total over $50. This policy has kept me in good standing and has generated a lot more interest in my auctions by people who are now interested in winning more of my auctions to divide up the shipping between more cards. (Q: But, Paul, what if I don't want to pay the shipping costs out of my own pocket? A: You won't, because rationale bidders will factor into their bid prices how much shipping will cost)

It seems to me, if you are getting someone to pay you $3500 for two baseball cards, that it is in your best interests to ensure it gets there in whatever way will make the buyer most comfortable. I am surprised that your buyer raised a stink; but I am equally surprised that you were not more accommodating.

Old 04-12-2006, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

You're getting over 3 large for 2 cards and the hangup is a few dollars for shipping???? Tell him to pay with Paypal and you'll ship Express and you'll pay the insurance. The cost to you would be less than the difference in the underbid.

If you won the lottery and they wanted you to drive in to the office for a photo handing you the check, would you ask them for milage??

He shouldn't have tried to rehaggle the deal, but at that selling price, don't let it foul the deal.

Old 04-12-2006, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Charlie O'Neal

You might want to look into shipping it registered mail. It may cost a little more but if I remember correctly the insurance you buy under that coverage is per $1000 and it is alot cheaper than buying normal insurance policy at the post office. Hope this is not to confusing.

Old 04-12-2006, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

I agree with Frank. Express mail the cards.
JimB

Old 04-12-2006, 03:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Kravitz

I also agree with Frank. At that price you should provide drop off service. By the way, I saw the light crease in the Cobb. What was the blemish on the Johnson? Let me know if this guy flakes out and you want to sell them to someone who will love those cards forever. Me!

Old 04-12-2006, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Registered mail for both cards, full coverage, less than $20

You stated your charges in the description, end of discussion, he's in the wrong, but eat the shipping. Not worth it to relist etc. etc.

Old 04-12-2006, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

Kary, you reap what you sow.

Old 04-12-2006, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Thanks everyone for your quick responses. I guess I was just irritated that this guy was being a jerk. I really wonder if he bid knowing that he wasn't going to pay. I guess I'll take the advice of the majority and offer to Express ship and I'll pay the insurance.

Dan,
There is a light 1" crease or wrinkle on the back lower right of the Johnson. You can see it on the face if you look close enough.

Elliott,
Please explain.

Old 04-12-2006, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

As a previous post recommends, on an amount this large and especially the strangeness of his behaviour regarding shipping and insurance, WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT TAKE PAYPAL!
Even if you lose the sale.
Last year, I sold a card for $1800 to a guy in NY. He then claimed he never got it, and though USPS said it was delivered - unexplainably they couldn't find a signature on file.
Even though it was signature confirmation, delivery confirmation, fully insured......He said he wasn't going to wait for the process to play out, called his credit company who stopped payment through Paypal, which then froze my account for over 4 weeks while I had to make good on his $1800.
So, I was out the $1800/the card, people I traded with were notified by paypal that payments even previous to this transaction were no longer being honored and were pulled out of their accounts.
I was literally, literally, in ulcers for over 4 weeks.

Guess what?
USPS denied my claim for insurance, even though I had done everything right, saying they belived it had been delivered and that was the end of it.
Paypal, though pretending to represent me on the issue, did nothing to contest the actions of his credit company.

So I lost one of my most treasured cards - an absoulutely unique and irreplaceable card of Ruth's, either in the mail or to a buyer who is really a thief, and am out a whole lot of cash. It still makes me sick inside when I think of it.

On big ticket items, I recommend strongly to accept money orders or chashiers checks that once cleared into your account, are your money period.
And I ship UPS by preference for said high priced items, for the clear tracking process and unquestionable requirement for a signature to show delivery, and insurance process.

If you have to use USPS, definitely, definitely, go registered.
Whatever you do, don't take his word for it on the insurance, especially if you decide to accept the paypal payment.

Regards
Daniel

Old 04-12-2006, 07:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I would have to agree...and since he says explain it sounds like an open invitation. .....

Old 04-12-2006, 07:11 PM
Administrator

I edited my original post. The high bidder is monkey.business . I excluded the "." the first time.

Old 04-12-2006, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Leon,
I did say "explain" so yes the invitation is open.

Old 04-12-2006, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Kary, I am pro9 on ebay. I just thought it was "karma" that you would have a problem with the bidder, after your attitude in our discussion. Interesting now that you come onto this forum looking for advice from, amongst others, myself. Although I could provide you with information about your high bidder, i choose not to do so. As i said "karma" in action.

Old 04-12-2006, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Elliot, you've got to tell us about the 'discussion'..........this is one very interesting sounding auction all round!!

Old 04-12-2006, 08:00 PM
Administrator

Elliott,
You send me this question.

"Hi, I see that you are not allowing bidders from Canada. I was hoping you could change this to allow me to bid on your auction. If i were to win, i would pay via PayPal and have it shipped to a friend in the U.S. Please LMK if this is acceptable...thanks, Elliot"

I responded saying that I would have no protection unless I shipped to a confirmed address.

Your response was:

"I thought PayPal had changed things so that Canadian addresses were confirmed, but as a seller you're free to do whatever you want when selling your item. See you on the N54 board... Elliot"

I chose to stick with my U.S. only policy.

Old 04-12-2006, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

" I explained that it will cost me more for ship/ins. than what I charged"

What $39?

Ummmm, I just did a package with several more slabbed cards than that, via registered mail valued at $17K for a whole $33.

All I can say is that when I see outrageous shipping charges, I'll either avoid the auction because odds are, the seller is not a pro but a potential problem, or if I simply must to, have to, got to own the item, adjust my bidding accordingly.

As you clearly stated your charges, the buyer was aware, and as I stated earlier, he is theoretically in the wrong...... But jeez, to carry on over a few bucks.....do the freakin' deal and move on. No sympathy here on my part

Old 04-12-2006, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Yes, and i choose not to provide advice to you. Interesting that you are now having a problem and come to this forum for advice....."karma"

Old 04-12-2006, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Anonymous,
The $39 is based on the USPS Priority shipping which is how I said in my auction terms that I would be shipping the cards.

Elliott,
So you choose not to give me any advice or info on the buyer because I didn't change my auction terms to allow bids from Canada. No problem.

Old 04-12-2006, 09:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve K

<<< he finally told me that he doesn't want to deal with me and I should sell the cards to someone else >>>

Well then...offer the cards to the underbidders or move on and relist.

Old 04-12-2006, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim F

I agree with Elliot. I'm sick of guys that won't ship to Canada. Our paypal addresses are confirmed so what's the problem? Losing a $3500 sale over a couple bucks especially when you already charged him $39 shipping is probably not the best business decision either. Jim.

Old 04-12-2006, 09:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brendan

It doesn't matter that your paypal address is confirmed, because there is no way to confirm delivery sufficent to paypal's shipping standards. An unscrupulous international bidder can file a claim after receiving the card and win since there is no way to confirm that the package has been delivered.

Old 04-12-2006, 09:51 PM
Administrator

Any USPS tracking number to Canada can be confirmed and is accepted as confirmation by paypal. Both Canada Post and USPS tracking numbers can be tracked at either website. Jim

Old 04-12-2006, 10:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I frequently sell eBay items internationally, including Europe and Australia, and have yet to have a problem with an international buyer. Most of the buyers have established feeback and have a record of purchasing in the genre.

As far as shipping goes, the time to ask for lower shipping is before the auction ends not after. I charged in auction description $8 shipping for a heavy item. The winner paid me $4 as he thought $8 was an overcharge. I told him that due to the weight the item would be shipped priority flat rate which is is $8.15-- 15 cents less than I charged and I knew writing the auction description that I was undercharging.

Asking for reduced shipping charges after an auctin can put the seller in a bind. The seller may wonder, 'If this person is willing to change in his favor clearly stated rules after the auction, is he also the type of person who will give negative feedback if the seller doesn't comply?'

As a seller I can be quite flexible if the buyer inquires during the auction. If it means a collector will bid 7 times to win, I will usually be happy to drastically reduce shipping cost.

One of my favorites was when I had a sale with free ($0) shipping. A guy bought two items and wondered if he could combine the shipping charges. "Uh, okay," I said.

Old 04-12-2006, 10:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

I agree with Elliot. Karma has run over dogma.

There's got to be a trade lawyer here who can give an opinion that refusing to ship to Canada constitutes a breach of NAFTA (it's too thick for me to pull off the library shelf at the office and actually read the thing...)

Max

Old 04-12-2006, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Brendan, that's just not true, there are lots of ways to confirm delivery in Canada. In any event my problem was more attitude than anything else. As I said, his current difficulties are karma.

Old 04-12-2006, 11:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

First of all I want to say that I have had successful dealings with monkey.business but thought it was strange his feedback was private considering that his feedback is 100%.

I am kind of amazed at how many are willing to let the buyer dictate how much he is going to pay for shipping.

Kary's shipping charge is in line if you use the insurance fees for USPS. I personally was not aware that registered mail offered $1000 worth of insurance automatically.

As far as paypal goes, don't count on them as a seller on any transaction, they seem to stick up for the buyer no matter how much evidence you give them to the contrary. They are one of those necessary evils that suck.

Lee

Old 04-13-2006, 12:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

David, you are a lucky man with your international dealings. I'll sell to Canadians, but anywhere else is out of the question. I've had a total of about dozen problem buyers over the years and only 3 of them were from the US. All the others were from Europe or Asia, so I've just stopped selling outside of the US adn Canada.

My most recent problem came from a buyer in Italy that expected me to ship a 3 pound package for $5. I couldn't send it domestically for that little.

Jay

I like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home, I would be arrested. So, I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 04-13-2006, 01:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I've had few problems and they are usually with sellers not buyers. Most buyers are reasonable, and all they want is to get what was advertised.

Old 04-13-2006, 05:30 AM
Administrator

Lee,
monkey.business actuall has a 99.1% feedback rating.

"Brendan, that's just not true, there are lots of ways to confirm delivery in Canada. In any event my problem was more attitude than anything else. As I said, his current difficulties are karma."

Elliott,
There was no attitude on my part. You asked me to allow shipping to Canada and I declined which is my right.

Old 04-13-2006, 05:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason

Elliot-

Are you saying you belive in new age?

Jason

Old 04-13-2006, 05:58 AM
Administrator

I too find it very difficult to get real tracking to Canada from the US, from the USPS. Everytime I have shipped it has been a hail Mary and they have gotten there. IF anyone knows how to get tracking from the US to Canada through the USPS let me know....the only way to do it was Express Mail (I think) and it's very costly relative to a low dollar item. I don't care to get into this particular argument but it would be nice to have an easy way to ship to Canada via USPS....regards

Old 04-13-2006, 06:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brent Butcher

I have always been willing to sell to Canadian buyers through Ebay if they emailed me first but after my last fiasco with Paypal I will no longer take Paypal for Canadian buyers. Since you can't track/insure your shipments(as far as I know) you are open to be taken advantage of as I was recently by a buyer in Ontario. It was only a $100 transaction but still really pisses me off to this day. 2 days after the Ebay auction ended the Ontario lady paid me so I mailed the card the same day. 3 days later she makes a claim to Paypal saying she never received the item even though there hadn't even been enough time for the package to ship from Texas to Ontario. I supplied Paypal with my customs receipt, PO receipt and the fact that she had been kicked off of Ebay the same day she made the claim but to no avail the money was pulled from my account on the 10th day.

Old 04-13-2006, 06:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

lawyer but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night....

NAFTA doesn't REQUIRE that companies deal with other companies in CA/MX/US....it just conveys duty free status to exporters and importers in some cases where a NAFTA Certificate of Origin is obtained. Reduces the trade barriers between the three countries to facilitate movement of goods and movement of jobs out of the U.S. (another discussion).....

I, too, have had problems with shipping to Canada but continue to do it. While I hate for our national treasures to be moved into the cold north up there, there are many more good apples like Max and Eliot than bad ones.......

Old 04-13-2006, 07:40 AM
Administrator

Kary, IMO, there was attitude, and as anybody on here can tell you, i am not one to jump to conclusions nor make false accusations.
Leon, it is possible, but sometimes difficult, but please note that I gave him the option to ship to a U.S. address.
Brent, sorry for your loss, but you would have had the same problem with a U.S. buyer unless you had delivery confirmation.
Tom, I believe that Max's comment was tongue in cheek.

Old 04-13-2006, 07:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean

Elliot,
You said: but please note that I gave him the option to ship to a U.S. address.

Your friend in the U.S. would have to pay with PayPal and have the package shipped to his confirmed address.

Sean

Old 04-13-2006, 07:47 AM
Administrator

You did give him that option but it wasn't confirmed so there was no protection via paypal. That is between you and he and like I said I don't care to get into that part of the discussion. I have enough issues all by myself . You did say it can be done but it's not easy. Maybe you, or one of our good friends north of the border, knows something my USPS personnel aren't divulging? Can someone please tell me how to do tracking through USPS to Canada? If I remember correctly even the one registered mail I sent there couldn't be tracked. I also have shipped to a board member in the Netherlands. It was about exactly the same for tracking...nadda...(and it took a little longer to go there).... As good 'ole Ross Perot said "I'm all ears"....and he really is .....

Old 04-13-2006, 09:33 AM
Administrator

But yes, I too have had problems shipping items to Canada in terms of tracking. USPS just does not have a continuous reciprocal tracking process once it crosses the border, and the package is absolutely at the mercy of the deliverer that day.
My biggest gripe though, is that on every occasion my buyers from Canada have asked/insisted that the item be incorrectly labelled, with negilible value listed, so that the item is not held up by customs and face the subsequent duties.
Have to tell you, that is a huge issue to have to eat, as the insurance on the item is all the more important when shipping trans-country.
I've done it, and I kick myself every time doing so, as I know how much I will hate myself if the item is lost and I have to go through the rigamaroll of making it all good for everyone involved.
It is definitely, not the "EASY EASY" "Don't complain so much" issue that Elliot and Max make it out to be.

And re Kary's shipping costs, I can't believe everyone who thinks that the buyer can simply dictate terms and because of the overall price involved, you have to be walked over. If they ask for $1 off, I guess everyone would agree they are being insulting. If it's $10 off, is that o.k? How about $3.50? Who the heck decides how much off a buyer gets to hack from the auction price and shipping quote. I don't care if its 2 cents, to me you're a real dick if you think you can get away with it.
Kary, your price is your price, and every one else can go jump.

Daniel

Old 04-13-2006, 10:21 AM
Administrator

I think the best way to ship to Canada is Global Priority. The USPS is slower to update thier site but as soon as a package crosses the border you can check the tracking number at canadapost.com. I have done many high dollar transactions and never had a problem with tracking this service or paypal accepting the delivery confirmation. As far as people asking for lower declaration, that's a judgement call on the sellers behalf. The auction houses tell you upfront that they do not do this so it's your call as a buyer. As long as you state in your ebay auction that you will not do this, that's that. Jim

Old 04-13-2006, 10:24 AM
Administrator

"Kary, IMO, there was attitude, and as anybody on here can tell you, i am not one to jump to conclusions nor make false accusations."

Elliott,
In this case you did. There was no attitude involved. I was only being honest. I didn't want to change my shipping terms because there just isn't protection from paypal. It's not the Canadiens who are the problem. It's ebay/paypal.

Old 04-13-2006, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: PC

--

Old 04-13-2006, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Daniel Bretta

I have had numerous problems shipping to Canadian buyers...Either your postal system completely sucks or there are an inordinate amount of unscrupulous buyers up there taking advantage of the Paypal system. Nearly every negative I have taken is from an international buyer in a paypal transaction. Paypal ALWAYS sides with the buyer, but like Jay said it is a necessary evil. I have stopped shipping overseas, but I still deal with Canada...I just don't like to do the paypal route.

Old 04-14-2006, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Shannon

The problem with shipping to Canada through USPS is unless you ship it express mail you cannot track it. USPS tracks Canadian Postal service, but not vice versa. I have had problems with shipping to Canada in the past, which is mostly to do with going through Canada's customs. Last December I shipped a card to Canada and after 4 weeks of emailing the buyer assuring him I had shipped the card he finally got feed up and filed a claim with paypal. Which he won since I had no way of proving I had shipped the card. Two weeks later the buyer received the card and paid me. To assure no more problems I use UPS to ship to Canada. They provide a tracking # and have very prompt service. It cost more but it is a heck of alot easier and no problems to date. Leon express mail is usually 14-15.00, while ups is 8 or 9.