NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-03-2009, 01:20 PM

Default Help with Identifying Ballpark in Matty Photo

All -

A friend of mine (who happens to be a talented artist ) and I have been researching the potential location of the attached photographs of a young Mathewson.

Here's what we know:

1. The uniform dates this to the early 1900s - most closely to the 1901 NY Giants uniform
2. The scans of the backs of 2 of these images don't help - they were printed later.
3. The Polo Grounds did in fact have those white posts in the distant outfield used to tie horses, buggies.
4. According to Baseball Almanac, the NY Giants's Spring Training facility was in NY, NY from 1900-1901, before moving to Savannah in 1903

Anyone recognize the ballpark, or have more concrete knowledge of where the Giants trained in these early years?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mathewson_front.jpg (53.0 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg mathewson_photos.jpg (72.3 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg mathewson3.jpg (43.5 KB, 178 views)

Last edited by jacksons; 12-04-2009 at 08:12 AM.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:40 PM

Sorry for wasting anybodys time with this.

It does appear to have been taken in the Polo Grounds.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:44 PM
Mark

It's not a waste of time. The white posts were definitely part of the Polo Grounds early 1900's outfield. But I would expect to see something of the elavated train structure in the background.

If you're sure it's the Polo Grounds - what is your reference?

Thanks,
mark
Old 12-04-2009, 07:52 AM

Mark - good point on the the elevated train. I've been back and forth on this - Manhattan Field, "Brotherhood Park", etc. - still trying to figure it out.

Graig pointed out the scoreboard - unique in that it shows 8 rows - 4 sets of games, very clearly.

This same scoreboard as it appears in the first expanded Matty photo I've included here, is clearly visible in these two well known shots of the park from 1905, stroked in red.

Based on this alone, I'm guessing the photographs were taken in the ballpark, with the white posts and scoreboard as a backdrop. Maybe the flagpole and other surroundings were added/redesigned between 1900 and 1905? Maybe the scoreboard was first in an adjacent field/lot (where the Matty photo was taken, and possibly where the Giants had their "spring training", using the additional fields) and moved to the official park in 1905, tilted to the vantage of the bleachers?

But the elevated train is a great point, which still makes it a mystery (I think?)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scoreboard_big.jpg (61.5 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg PoloGrounds1905.jpg (72.4 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg pologrounds_1905_stroked.jpg (36.6 KB, 108 views)

Last edited by jacksons; 12-04-2009 at 07:58 AM.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:00 PM
Mark

Yeah - The scoreboard in the 1905 photo is very similar to the one behind Matty, though there is a lot less space between the ground and the bottom team's line score in the 1905 photo. Still it could be a modification of the same scoreboard, and it's reasonable that it could be moved around.

Adjacent lot outside the field seems like a good theory.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:14 PM
William Peebles

I'm no Polo Grounds expert by any means but it looks like it could be same place. The vantage point of the photographer is around waist height. The low perspective could be the reason you don't see the tracks over the fence. In the early Matty photos the buttressed wood fence behind the stables(?) looks to be natural wood. In the later shot, the fence is painted white and the stables are removed. It would not seem unreasonable to assume that if baseball was the primary use of the field at this time (I don't know) that those modifications would also accompany a new or modified scoreboard.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:19 PM
Mark

>>>The low perspective could be the reason you don't see the tracks over the fence.

No - you would easily see the structure - unless it did not yet exist. I think the train pre-dated Matty's arrival.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:11 PM
Mark

This photo shows Jimmy Sheckard in 1906 standing near the left field foul line at PG. Just above the high grandstands can be seen a familiar line of windows from the elevated train structure.

While this is not the same view as the Matty photo, the trains did run around the outside perimeter of the outfield, and it gives us an idea of the relative height compared to the playing surface.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jimmy Sheckard 3a29638r.jpg (67.2 KB, 76 views)
Old 12-04-2009, 07:01 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

OK. First off, I'm no photo expert, but...
What if Matty wasn't standing in the outfield?
Supposed he was standing in the clearing behind left centerfield to the left of the circled area in the other pictue? If you were looking from that area out toward the extreme right field corner, would you still see the train tracks?
In the picture of the field, could the wall behind Matty correspond to the side of the centerfield bleachers?

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 12-04-2009, 08:41 PM
Mark

>>>Supposed he was standing in the clearing behind left centerfield to the left of the circled area in the other pictue?...If you were looking from that area out toward the extreme right field corner...In the picture of the field, could the wall behind Matty correspond to the side of the centerfield bleachers?

Where are the white posts? The panoramic stadium photo shows a circle of white posts around the outfield. It shows none in the area you describe, nor would there be any reason for them to be there.

Last edited by bmarlowe1; 12-04-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:50 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Good point.
I didn't consider them. I was focused on the train tracks.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL