NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Old 12-23-2009, 12:31 PM
Dave

Default Jack Johnson vs. Tommy Burns Fight Ticket / Research / Now at Auction

Jack Johnson vs. Tommy Burns Fight Ticket. December 26th, 1908.

I know there are lots of boxing card guys here, any ticket experts? Boxing is my specialty but this item has me a bit perplexed.

I just got this in from a consignor in Australia. I've never seen another example before. I've seen several programs from this fight surface in the last few years........never the ticket.

I'm trying to clarify if this is indeed the main ticket or the stub portion of the ticket. It looks like it's perforated on the left. The stub is normally located on the right but it's not exactly unheard of for it to be on the left.

It measures about 4 5/8" x 3 1'4" inches. Not as long as most main ticket sections but also much bigger then most "stubs". The Hugh McIntosh signature on the front appears to be rubber stamped.

I guess there's also the possibility that this was the full ticket and they were produced in a roll, and each ticket was torn from the other as it was purchased. It is thin stock and this very well could be possible. It was unreserved seating so maybe the whole ticket was given up at the door and seating was first come, first serve once you entered the building.

I've talked to Harry at Antiquities and he thinks it's the main ticket portion, though he's never seen this ticket before either.........and that's unbelievable coming from him, considering what has gone through his hands over the years.

Wondering if anybody else has any other info on this ticket or possibly has a scan of a possible full ticket to pass along. I've searched as many of the bigger auction house data bases that I could think of and came up empty.

As I've said, plenty of the programs lately but none of the tickets. I kind of wonder why. Were most confiscated at the door and then destroyed? Did people trash them because they are fairly unattractive looking (unlike the program) and not on thicker stock? You would think one or two of them would have been found stashed inside one of the programs that pop up every once in awhile.

For transparency sake.........yes I will be offering this at auction soon. Just trying to get as much info as possible before I do.

Thanks.

- Dave

Last edited by D. Bergin; 01-10-2010 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:20 PM
Brent

It appears this is the portion of the ticket that was given up at the door, to the person collecting the tickets at the gate. So my 2 thoughts:

1) Doesn't appear to be a full ticket.
2) This is a very rare piece. I have never seen an example before and from what the ticket says, it was collected at the gate so therfore probably destroyed later that night or the next day after they counted the reciepts.

Notice the statement below the "Admit One" to the left. There are probably many stubs out there with no identifying information.

Just my thoughts.

Brent
Old 12-23-2009, 09:44 PM
Dave

Thanks for the thoughts Brent. You may be right. Maybe the stub was just a number, that's why we don't even see those around either.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:06 AM
Dave

Default Now up for Auction

This ticket is now up for auction on Ebay. Thanks..

Ending Sunday January 10th, 2010

Ends around 9:00PM Eastern time. Thanks.

Click here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1908-JACK-JOHNSO...item35a606dd96

or Here:
http://tinyurl.com/BoxianaEbayAuctions

Old 01-10-2010, 09:08 AM
Dave

Default Auction ending tonight.

Auction ending tonight. Thanks.

- Dave
Old 04-04-2010, 04:54 PM

Default Jack Johnson vs. Tommy Burns Fight Ticket

I have a ticket for the Burns Johnson fight.
The one in your forum is 3738 Unreserved.
This one is A184 Reserved and is perforated on both sides, measures 2 2/8" X I 5/8".
The stock appears to be the same with similar discolouring.
There is part of a stamp visible on the right hand portion of this ticket, as in the ticket you have shown, but putting the tickets side by side, they have a different size/scale.
The back of the ticket has no markings or stamp.
The ticket was taped down in a frame, hence the markings on the top and bottom of the ticket.
So, maybe different stamps for different sections?
I will be putting this on eBay soon, and am interested in your, or anybody else opinion or thoughts on this ticket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Burns Johnson fight 007a copy 2.jpg (48.8 KB, 111 views)
Old 04-05-2010, 06:38 AM
Dave

Looks like the Reserved seating tickets were smaller in size. This looks like a stub. Perforated on both sides so it was probably from a dual stub ticket.

I had heard of one or two of these floating around out there.

- Dave
Old 05-12-2014, 05:17 PM

Default Jack Johnson vs. Tommy Burns Fight Ticket

Dear Sir,

For you general information you can find the answers to your questions re Burns/Johnson fight ticket @ www.strandcoins.com

Regards
Strand Coins