NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-30-2007, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Default O/T For Stat Guys Only, I'm sure SABR guys are already looking it up

Posted By: peter chao

Congrats to Craig Biggio for his 3,000th hit. Not only did he get his 3,000 but he got five hits out of 6 ABs. That must be a record, has anybody gotten more hits in the game that he got his 3,000th hit. I doubt it, that's style and grace under pressure.

Peter

Old 06-30-2007, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

7 more doubles and he will then pass Brett and move into the top 5 lifetime.

Old 06-30-2007, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

I don't know the answer to your question but being born and raised in Houston, I must say that Craig Biggio is an Icon in this city and has always played the game the way it's suppose to be played. Example, Last night with 2 outs in the bottom of the 11th nobody on and the Rockies leading by a run, he beats out an infield hit to the SS and starts a 2 out rally that culminates in a Carlos Lee walk off Grand Slam. He doesn't beat out the grounder and the game is over.
His first hit was as an Astro and his 3002 hit was as an Astro, which is very unusual these days. He is very high on the list of lifetime doubles and runs scored. He made the All Stars as a catcher and as a 2nd Baseman. He is the most underrated 2nd baseman in baseball history in my opinion.
He's a sure fire HOFer and a class act.
Here's to a good guy, God knows baseball needs them.

Old 06-30-2007, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I think it's safe to say Biggio was the only player to reach his 3000th hit in a five-hit game. And another milestone was set last night, and likely another first.

Frank Thomas hit his 500th homerun, and then was tossed out of the game in the 9th inning for arguing balls and strikes. As he said, "I'm the only player to hit his 500th homerun and be thrown out of the same game."

Old 06-30-2007, 07:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Dawson

Craig Biggio is the only player with 5 or more hits in the game where they reached 3,000 for their career. George Brett and Tony Gwynn both had 4 hits in their 3,000 hit games.

Steve

Old 06-30-2007, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Steve,

That's awesome, thanks for the information.

Peter

Old 06-30-2007, 07:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Pennsylvania Ted

End of the 1941 season and the Red Sox are playing a Double-Header.......and, the Yankees had already
clinched the AL pennant.
Ted Williams starts that day with a .3999 BA and his Mgr suggests he sit it out to preserve a .400 stat.

Williams says "hell no" and proceeds to get 6 hits for 8 AB's that day to finish the 1941 season with .406 BA.

That's really what you call....."style and grace under pressure".....it doesn't get any better than that !

TED Z

Old 06-30-2007, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I actually heard a debate on the radio today about whether Craig Biggio belongs in the hall of fame...Of course he does. 3,000 is automatic. He's going to be top 5 in doubles, he's never been under suspicion of performance enhancing drugs, he's played with the same team his whole career which is commendable and hard to do in today's market, and I've never heard a bad thing said about Biggio. He always plays hard.

Can anyone remember a year in which there were so many players hitting milestones and difficult accomplishments?

Sosa: 600 HR
Thomas: 500 HR
Biggio: 3,000 Hits
Trevor Hoffman: 500 saves
Tulowitzki: Unassisted Triple Play
Beuhrle: No Hitter
Verlander: No Hitter
Figgins: 6 for 6 in a 9 inning game

Possible milestone
Glavine: 300 wins (3 away)
Pedro Martinez: 3,000 strikeouts (2 away)
Griffey: 600 HR (16 away)
Bonds: all time HR King
Arod, Manny and Thome all should hit 500 HR
Sheffield has a slight chance at 500 HR

The Cubs need 23 wins for 10,000 in their history.

Old 06-30-2007, 09:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: S Gross

Whenever I hear about the 3000 club I think of one thing:

Sam Rice -- 2,987

Old 06-30-2007, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

Sam Rice was quoted as saying later on in life that if 3000 hits meant anything when he was playing he wouldve kept playing to get it. When he played it was just a round number and no big deal