NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-08-2018, 07:16 AM
D@le Irv*n

Default Frank House Yellow Tiger-confirmed variant now?

Just read this on the Huggins and Scott auction and was wondering if this was correct?

Master Set Collectors! From the landmark 1952 Topps Baseball edition arrives one of its curious oddities, the offered #146 Frank House (Yellow Tiger) variation. Graded EX-MT 6 by PSA. The growling Tiger logo on this recently confirmed variant is absent of the orange-and-red color details found on the common example. While recognized by most 1952 Topps collectors, PSA does not distinguish between the "Yellow Tiger" and its colorful cousin. As such, reliable population data is not available. What is certain is that this gum card presents quite nicely for its overall grade.
https://hugginsandscott.com/cgi-bin/...l?itemid=31937
Old 11-08-2018, 07:46 AM
Al Richter

I think the person in charge of the hobby must have confirmed it Dale

I think most master type collectors of the 52 set consider it a variation, and some view it as involving more than one variation. Bob Lemke once wrote an SCD article suggesting it was a variation as opposed to a print defect, but I am not sure if it is listed as a variation in the most current Standard Catalog or Beckett. PSA usually follows what those catalogs list as variations eventually.

I have one all yellow and one yellow but with a red tongue

I would appreciate it if you could get someone to officially recognize my 52 Campos with the partially missing front border as a variation, like it's black star cousin.

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 11-08-2018 at 07:52 AM.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:16 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Hi Irv, not sure of your question.

That's not even a proper description of the card advertised. Too much red on the tongue to say its absent of red.

There are two yellow versions, one where the red is absent, and one where it has been gradually reduced. There were 2 different placements in the sheet.

One of which was printed without red. This is visible on ones with have NO green throat and quite scarce.

The other ones which have actual red missing on the throat, as well as absent from the tiger logo. They nclude versions of red being gradually stoned off of the press to mimic the first one printed without red.

At some point, early on, but sometime after the gray backs where produced, Topps reset the press and let them run with all corrected versions of the House Tiger.

Hi Al, SGC has been labeling the Campos border variation, or should I say they did for BMW sports cards. They deemed the PSA 4 I sent to them not authentic. After a heated debate, mentioning they were willing to do it for BMW and not for me, I asked them to send me the card back. I did send them a lower grade one last week and waiting to hear their response.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 11-08-2018, 11:36 AM
Al Richter

Ted---they might have rejected it because of your reputation for trolling ebay for pricing errors

I asked BMW, who highly value their 2 , if they had tried to get PSA to recognize it. They suggested I do that.

It is listed as a variation in Beckett, but not in the most recent SCD Catalog I have ( 2014)
Old 11-08-2018, 12:28 PM
Albert Bee

Default tiger

Yellow Tiger, Red tongue Tiger ..its bordering on silly
Old 11-08-2018, 12:54 PM
Al Richter

It's not borderline. Take a swing through the never ending variations thread. We are a silly lot, clearly

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 11-08-2018 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:52 PM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBB View Post
Yellow Tiger, Red tongue Tiger ..its bordering on silly
I would bet that a lot of non collectors find it silly that we would spend
money on any baseball card.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:37 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Hi Irv, yes that is the one that was originally printed without red on the tiger. The others have the absence of green on the throat in varying degrees. The gray back however can ONLY be found with either no red, or full red, nothing in between.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 11-09-2018, 07:53 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Hi Irv, yes that is the one that was originally printed without red on the tiger. The others have the absence of green on the throat in varying degrees. The gray back however can ONLY be found with either no red, or full red, nothing in between.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Thanks, Ted. When I picked up my Yellow Tiger House, I wasn't aware of the different variations, (or had forgot) so it's nice to know that I got the scarcer version.

The gray back/Yellow House would be a nice card to own! Is there not a member or 2 on here who own one of those?
Old 11-09-2018, 12:49 PM
Albert Bee

Default 52 T House

Yellow Tiger

Red Tongue

Green Throat

Sounds like a horror movie monster
Old 11-10-2018, 07:17 AM
Al Richter

What non silly horror free stuff do you collect Albert ?
Old 11-11-2018, 03:55 AM
Albert Bee

Default tiger

-
Old 11-11-2018, 04:40 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBB View Post
Yellow Tiger

Red Tongue

Green Throat

Sounds like a horror movie monster