NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-14-2015, 06:07 PM
Joe

Default Lelands Jan. 08 Vintage Sports Auction

Got the Lelands catalog today. I am not usually one to sing their praise, but quite an impressive array of vintage sports memorabilia in this auction - something for everyone. I can't recall the last time I saw an auction so chalk full of good pieces - like Memorbilia auctions from years past.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:13 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

I agree - nice to see the Lelands catalog and how thick it is!
Old 12-15-2015, 08:24 AM
Banned

Lot 521 - The Buchner tin sign is interesting, but does not mention anything on it about Gold Coin baseball, even though they state that is what it is for.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sago View Post
Lot 521 - The Buchner tin sign is interesting, but does not mention anything on it about Gold Coin baseball, even though they state that is what it is for.
It does say "All Cards redeemed at our Office" under the image of the policeman. Is that not what the connection is?

Last edited by bobfreedman; 12-15-2015 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:24 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfreedman View Post
It does say "All Cards redeemed at our Office" under the image of the policeman. Is that not what the connection is?
I looked at that piece closely too. At first I thought they mislabeled it but upon further reflection think it is probably correct too. It would have been neater if it had a baseball player but it does say "all cards".
Old 12-15-2015, 09:40 AM
Banned

Possibly, but the album mentioned is Defenders and Offenders, and there is a picture of a police officer on the sign.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:41 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sago View Post
Possibly, but the album mentioned is Defenders and Offenders, and there is a picture of a police officer on the sign.
You do have a point there...
Old 12-15-2015, 06:15 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default the redemption offer

on the sign replicates the verbiage for redemption found on more than one series of Buchner cards (or the other way around!). It references CARDS and Finest and Bravest BRANDS.
The backs of the gold coin cards mention a WRAPPER redemption for a valuable prize (none mentioned).
The sign says all CARDS accepted suggesting the "wrappers" for the GC cards weren't included. Logically though as the issues were produced nearly simultaneously (with respect to those containing the offering) and considering I'm unaware of other redemption offers exclusive to the GC "wrappers", and it wasn't uncommon for a company to at times allow redemptions into successive promotions - for now I'll guess one could redeem either :-) Of note is the tremendous expense the companies had begun to assume with these redemption offers. This kind of thing became so popular that acceptance centers had to be opened to handle the volume. The companies also had to increase their advertising of it and come up with better and better "stuff".
Last detail - the actual Defenders and Offenders inserts were FOLDERS and had only a redemption offer for the album.
BTW - I have a decent example of the "finest" bronze mantle clock (as do at least two other board members). Let's just say "BRONZE" was perhaps a bit of poetic license.

If time allows I'll work on a better answer...........

Edited to add
Despite helping Josh in a transaction with my friend Glen and Spike Lee as well as pushing a deal or two his way - I have yet to get a copy of an auction catalog. Two emails, three in person requests...... With SO MANY auctions to pay attention to - I gave up. Only saw the auction after an earlier post here and noted the sign. I think I recognize it as something a board member had behind his table at the national 3(?) years ago. It's REALLY close to being in my wheelhouse but these things are expensive and difficult to restore so I passed.

Last edited by 1880nonsports; 12-15-2015 at 06:26 PM.