NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-20-2017, 09:51 AM
Dave Grob

Default Got to Love "Photo Matching"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-World-...kAAOSwivJZ4RA5

Jersey has been "photo matched" to 1961, but they missed the fact that supplemental tagging for the year in chain stitch embroidery in the front left tail is for "69" and someone has cut away most of the "year/set" flag tag for 1969 as well.

Buy hey, they pinstripes line up.

Dave Grob
Old 10-20-2017, 12:24 PM
Steve Birmingham

The right number is in the wrong spot too.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:54 PM
Dave Grob

Default Photo Matching

I really didn’t bother to look at the work in any detail. The concept of “photo matching”, while it sounds good, can be a dangerous proposition for the buyer in regards to how it (the actual work) is currently being done in this industry (especially for older uniforms). More and more people and organizations are offering these services, but with often, very little being objectively offered to substantiate the claim other than very isolated consistencies between a uniform and a photograph. In any number of instances, the person will simply say they compared the jersey in question with images of other jerseys from the same year, but they never mention or account for how many jerseys that was (and how they came to determining the sample/population size) nor do they show how and why the other jerseys have been excluded.

Dave Grob
Old 10-20-2017, 01:56 PM

Agree. It's frustrating. Definitely have seen eBay listings use the term "photo matched" incorrectly. There may be times when a seller may not know what it means and confuses it with what folks sometimes call a "style match." And there are also times when the item and photo wouldn't even qualify as a true style match. Of course, there are also sellers who know what it means, and hope that a buyer doesn't so that the buyer is fooled into believing the use of the term means the item is what the seller represents it to be.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:25 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

And the pinstripes don't even match.

I've written a to be published university textbook on the methods of art and artifacts authentication, which includes advanced scientific tests such as carbon dating, spectroscopy and thermoluminescence. One thing pointed out repeatedly throughout the book is you never come to a final conclusion via just one test. Even when the test is done correctly and is accurate and is the most advanced test available, it is just a test of one quality or aspect and has to be supplemented with other information and logic. This is why art historians work with scientists, and neither on their own, when authenticating a famous artwork. Both perspectives are needed.

An example is with a questioned Rembrandt painting. That radiometric dating shows the paint is the right age, that is important information for authentication but doesn't prove it was by Rembrandt. It could have been by another artist of the time, including his students who regularly copied his paintings as part of their studies. You need an art historian and other techniques to show it was made by Rembrandt.

Last edited by drcy; 10-20-2017 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Grob View Post
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-World-...kAAOSwivJZ4RA5

Jersey has been "photo matched" to 1961, but they missed the fact that supplemental tagging for the year in chain stitch embroidery in the front left tail is for "69" and someone has cut away most of the "year/set" flag tag for 1969 as well.

Buy hey, they pinstripes line up.

Dave Grob

I think I can honestly say that in 25+ years of collecting, I have probably seen 1 total item listed as “photo matched” that actually provided reasonably solid pictures/proof. Everything else has seemed to be “look, the jersey in the picture is made of cloth too!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2017, 08:43 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

I've seen the term "photo-matched" used pretty loosely with game bats. Instead of showing the scrapes and marks in detail to prove it is the exact bat from a certain game, they just show a picture of the player using a similar bat. See, he uses this type of bat!

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears
Old 10-21-2017, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgwirecom View Post
I've seen the term "photo-matched" used pretty loosely with game bats. Instead of showing the scrapes and marks in detail to prove it is the exact bat from a certain game, they just show a picture of the player using a similar bat. See, he uses this type of bat!
Yep -- that's what many folks would call a style match instead of a real photo match. And I've seen some amazing and conclusive actual photo matches of bats using high res photos showing details of the wood grain and other markings. It's a cool thing to see.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:48 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Nice catch!

For the record, #22 for the Yankees in 1969 was Jack Aker