NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 03-17-2019, 12:26 PM
Shawn M

Default Future value of Jeter cards after HOF induction

Would one consider the value of Derek Jeter cards (esp. rc's and tougher minor league cards) to jump in value much more than where they are now after his induction? Just curious as it seems his cards are peaking right now. Let me know your thoughts..
Old 03-17-2019, 12:39 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

I'd assume both supply and demand would rise, if that helps!

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 03-17-2019, 12:42 PM
Greg C

Pump and Dump will most likely happen. I do not believe the dust will settle
behind the line of scrimmage however. Biggest question is how big will the bubble get?
Old 03-17-2019, 03:21 PM
Peter Spaeth

It's self evident he will make the HOF probably unanimously so why would they jump if that's already priced in?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-17-2019 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:08 PM
Steve Birmingham

Typically cards of "sure thing" hall of famers follow the same pattern. Boost in price right near retirement, gradual fall off till a bit before election, price rise till a bit after induction, then gradual settling in to a mostly stable level.

There used to also be little jumps for things like someone becoming a manager, or dying, but I haven't tracked anything that closely in years.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:00 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Typically cards of "sure thing" hall of famers follow the same pattern. Boost in price right near retirement, gradual fall off till a bit before election, price rise till a bit after induction, then gradual settling in to a mostly stable level.

There used to also be little jumps for things like someone becoming a manager, or dying, but I haven't tracked anything that closely in years.
This is the trend I have noticed for the last 20 years. In some cases it is the only time you can sell their cards is when they are inducted into the HOF.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:40 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

Exactly. Look at Mariano. His stuff was super hot in January when it was announced that he was the first unanimous inductee. Since then the news has subsided as has demand. There may be a bump around induction time.

I wouldn’t plan on Jeter stuff skyrocketing in value because of his induction. There will be a large amount of interest when the announcement is made. The trick to Jeter is that he’s still active and there is an upside and a downside. Since his involvement with the Marlins - his stock has actually fallen for the first time in his career. If he can put a winning team on the field his stuff will go up. A ws win would elevate him to a new level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post

Old 03-21-2019, 08:04 AM

Man, Jeter prices are absolutely bonkers right now. PSA 8 SP rookies have almost doubled in price since November.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:46 AM
Shawn M

tell me about it, wish I kept my 8.5 and not sold it 5 years ago !
Old 04-14-2019, 08:17 AM
octavio ranzola

Pick up the pinnacle black borders. Love them
Old 04-14-2019, 07:24 PM

Respectfully, all of the above theories don't really hold water, as there's been a robust, unexplainable rise in his cards over the last few months that aren't tied to retirement, death, HOF induction or coaching. I think the demand for his cards is actually outweighing the supply (and as we know there's a huge supply), so that speaks volumes.

I believe there'll be higher prices yet to come, especially in 2020.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:02 AM
Glyn Parson

Higher for a time will come back down on the easiest stuff but will remain high on the better stuf. some (of the better stuff) may slightly dip (in time after the initial rise) but rebound.

I think it is stupid but will probably happen are people that thick they think he isn't getting in? Do they not think he already has a premium? Honestly to me he is the most overrated player of all-time but he has the demand and thats what matters not what i think about him but what those in the market feel.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:54 AM

Glyn, 6th on the all time hits list and 5 rings is overrated?
Old 04-18-2019, 04:25 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
Glyn, 6th on the all time hits list and 5 rings is overrated?
Jeter is a first ballot HOF. He had a great career.

His numbers most closely resemble Paul Molitor. His stuff is priced like Mickey Hank and Willie. He was in the right place at the right time and drafted by the right team. But for the numbers he put up he is very overrated. No MVP awards and frequently wasn’t the best player on his own team.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports View Post

His numbers most closely resemble Paul Molitor. His stuff is priced like Mickey Hank and Willie. He was in the right place at the right time and drafted by the right team. But for the numbers he put up he is very overrated. No MVP awards and frequently wasn’t the best player on his own team.
But that's the thing -- the best player on his team for much of his career was a despised and disgraced superstar with far superior talent. Jeter was the perfect foil, and profited tremendously by the comparison to ARod I believe in the eyes of fans.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-18-2019 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:00 PM

All in good fun guys...Jeter never paid my rent (see Bronx Tale), so I don't have a particular obsession with him...I just think he had the "it" factor...Paul Molitor didn't, sorry. Jeter was a fierce competitor, team leader and gutsy player. Let's not overlook the fact that he had more hits than Honus Wagner.

Last edited by MVSNYC; 04-18-2019 at 09:01 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:06 PM
Peter Spaeth

10th SS in WAR per Baseball Reference. Wagner 130.8 Jeter 72.4. Let's not get too carried away invoking Wagner as a point of reference. Great player yes but his hobby standing far outstrips his pure baseball value IMO. Still, for all the reasons discussed, understandable. An easy hero in an age of users and jerks.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:55 PM

Peter- the point of reference to Wagner was a simple fact, that Jeter had more hits than him, was all.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:54 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Peter- the point of reference to Wagner was a simple fact, that Jeter had more hits than him, was all.
Mike OK but it seems you assign importance to the fact. Adrian Beltre had more hits than Babe Ruth too.

Let's try it this way, if you could only pick one of the two players for your team, who would you choose, Jeter or ARod? Jeter or Miggy Cabrera? Jeter or Griffey? Jeter or Ripken?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-19-2019 at 06:57 AM.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:

This is an interesting point. Is Jeter the greatest player to never win an MVP? Manny Ramirez probably should've won one in the mid-late 90s but that never happened.

Jeter's '99 and '06 seasons were certainly MVP worthy. Falling 2nd behind Morneau in 2006 was certainly a surprise.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:14 AM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillBBC View Post
This is an interesting point. Is Jeter the greatest player to never win an MVP? Manny Ramirez probably should've won one in the mid-late 90s but that never happened.

Jeter's '99 and '06 seasons were certainly MVP worthy. Falling 2nd behind Morneau in 2006 was certainly a surprise.
He is probably top 5 of the non-MVP winners but I'd take Mel Ott, Eddie Mathews an Wade Boggs over Jeter. He is right there in that next group of guys for me with Tony Gwynn, Eddie Murray, Manny Ramirez, Mike Piazza, Craig Biggio, Al Simmons, etc.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 04-19-2019, 10:07 AM
Adam Yastrzemski

Quote:
All in good fun guys...Jeter never paid my rent (see Bronx Tale), so I don't have a particular obsession with him...I just think he had the "it" factor...Paul Molitor didn't, sorry. Jeter was a fierce competitor, team leader and gutsy player. Let's not overlook the fact that he had more hits than Honus Wagner.
I think that’s the point. Jeter and Molitor are equivalent players. Jeter is the most highly touted player of his generation with comparisons to Yankee Greats like Mantle, Gehrig, Mantle and Ruth. Leading to the conclusion that he is extremely overrated.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
I think that’s the point. Jeter and Molitor are equivalent players. Jeter is the most highly touted player of his generation with comparisons to Yankee Greats like Mantle, Gehrig, Mantle and Ruth. Leading to the conclusion that he is extremely overrated.
Is that true, though? I don't feel like the perception is that Jeter was as good as guys like Mantle and DiMaggio, just that he held a similar status among his teammates and enjoyed a similar amount of respect in the clubhouse and game at large.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:56 AM
Adam Yastrzemski

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Is that true, though? I don't feel like the perception is that Jeter was as good as guys like Mantle and DiMaggio, just that he held a similar status among his teammates and enjoyed a similar amount of respect in the clubhouse and game at large.
Exactly. He holds the same status and respect without the career = overrated.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Exactly. He holds the same status and respect without the career = overrated.
He may have the same fame but I don't think any 'smart' baseball fan out there thinks he's on the same level of Mays and Mantle. Fame wise, he's right there.

If there's a tower of famous American athletes since the early 1980s, Michael Jordan is number 1 by a mile but that next step down will certainly have Jeter. Right now the guy with the highest Q rating in baseball is Bryce Harper. Is he the best player in the league? Of course not, but if he and Trout walk into a bar, he's the guy that non everyday baseball people turn and go, 'WOW THAT'S BRYCE HARPER!'

Jeter had a national farewell commercial by Nike! Who was the last guy to have one of those? Jordan.

I'm not trying to counter the 'Jeter is overrated' argument, folks can throw that out all they want. Just trying to point out that regardless of how his numbers stack up to guys like Mantle and Mays, his fame at the very least matches theirs.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:22 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
He may have the same fame but I don't think any 'smart' baseball fan out there thinks he's on the same level of Mays and Mantle. Fame wise, he's right there.

If there's a tower of famous American athletes since the early 1980s, Michael Jordan is number 1 by a mile but that next step down will certainly have Jeter. Right now the guy with the highest Q rating in baseball is Bryce Harper. Is he the best player in the league? Of course not, but if he and Trout walk into a bar, he's the guy that non everyday baseball people turn and go, 'WOW THAT'S BRYCE HARPER!'

Jeter had a national farewell commercial by Nike! Who was the last guy to have one of those? Jordan.

I'm not trying to counter the 'Jeter is overrated' argument, folks can throw that out all they want. Just trying to point out that regardless of how his numbers stack up to guys like Mantle and Mays, his fame at the very least matches theirs.
Harper would probably order a bottle of whiskey. Trout would order a milkshake and drink only half of it.

Old 04-19-2019, 03:10 PM

Adam, clearly we will never convince each other that the other person is right. So, again, let's respectfully agree to disagree.

I don't think people compare Jeter to Ruth or Mantle's career accomplishments or stats, BUT I think most baseball fans (especially knowledgable of Yankee history), have him as last generation's Yankee superstar, who completes the chain chronologically...Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle, Munson, Reggie, Mattingly...and Jeter.

I still think people here (for an unknown reason) are downplaying the fact he is 6th on the all-time hits list (that's an enormous feat), as well as being a major contributor to 5 championships. When I look at him, I don't just look at stats on paper...there's many intangibles.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:46 PM
Tony Conte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Harper would probably order a bottle of whiskey. Trout would order a milkshake and drink only half of it.

Lol. That's kind of funny!
Old 04-19-2019, 04:57 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

Quote:
Just to be clear, I said his stats and career most closely resemble Paul Molitor. I agree that his level of fame is the same as the elite players in baseball history even though the performance isn’t there. Like I said, he had a great, 1st ballot HOF career. But he’s not one of the 5 greatest Yankees.

That being said, it is much better to be overrated than underrated.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:01 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:

Jordan is number 1 but I would put Tiger as a close number 2
Old 04-19-2019, 10:45 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
That is a clown question, bro!!!

I know it was a joke but the funny thing is that Bryce Harper is a practicing Mormon and doesn’t drink alcohol.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 04-21-2019, 06:23 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
That is a clown question, bro!!!

I know it was a joke but the funny thing is that Bryce Harper is a practicing Mormon and doesn’t drink alcohol.
Interesting, was not aware of that.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:02 PM

Is that true Rhett? Interesting for sure.

Last edited by MVSNYC; 05-15-2019 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:39 AM

Ridiculous prices on the Jeter SP last night, via PWCC eBay auctions.

PSA 9 = $7000
SGC 9 = $4200
SGC 9.5 = $8700

Last edited by MVSNYC; 05-16-2019 at 05:39 AM.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:19 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Ridiculous prices on the Jeter SP last night, via PWCC eBay auctions.

PSA 9 = $7000
SGC 9 = $4200
SGC 9.5 = $8700
The PSA 10 that sold last year for just under a 100 g's, via PWCC, has been removed for some reason?
Could be back up now as they claimed, uncoincidentally, that they were doing some upgrades to their inventory lists/computer?
Old 05-17-2019, 12:58 PM
octavio ranzola

just got 10 psa8 1993 topps well centered $15 each with shipping ,,,oh well ,$150,
Old 06-14-2020, 06:22 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Any updates to report? Even though the vote is completed, a tone a anticipate a run up to the ceremony, any decline?

I've sold all but one of my really tough jeters. Prices seem stable to a little higher

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 06-15-2020, 08:34 PM

I've been collecting 92-96 Jeter pretty hard for the past year. I need about 35 more, but they're all hard ones. Some of the cards just never pop up. 1996 Circa Rave and 1996 Upper Deck Diamond Dynasty Gold come to mind.

The prices have been pretty steady for the past 6 months from what I have seen. Super aggressive bidding on the rare stuff that doesn't pop up frequently.
Old 06-16-2020, 09:11 AM

Any Jeter card, any playing year in a PSA 10 has a demand.

Example: The only modern I collect 2013 Topps Chrome and the Jeter is a very popular card in the set. No rhyme or reason whatsoever other than its Jeter.
RayB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13TC010Jeter10.jpg (80.4 KB, 89 views)

Last edited by RayBShotz; 06-16-2020 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-20-2020, 09:36 AM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)

Here is a different one from 1998 this box was sold at Sam's Club
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roll up 001.jpg (78.0 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg roll up 002.jpg (76.3 KB, 48 views)