NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Buy/Sell/Trade Section (must login, caveat emptor) > 19th Century Cards & ALL Baseball Postcards- B/S/T

Old 05-25-2013, 09:20 PM
JJ

Default Cabinet Card

Picked this thing up. Not super into 19th century cabinets. Charles J. "Charlie" Ferguson. SOLD.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-bG...it?usp=sharing

Last edited by nameless; 05-26-2013 at 02:31 AM.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:21 PM
JJ

Its not trimmed/cropped on top. Just my scanner being lame. Would provide more scans to anyone interested.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:07 PM
Matt Hall

I think that's Jim Tyng.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:10 PM

Get a money back guarantee.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:12 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Good call Rhys. This image from NYPL collection. Same
Chip on left
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (21.5 KB, 377 views)
Old 05-26-2013, 07:24 PM
JJ

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Again I am not a cabinet expert and I have had this thing for a few months. Not trying to scam anyone.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:44 PM
JJ

Default Ebay

I picked up this one from a lot of 12. I know a dealer who has appeared to have put them on ebay. He got his from the same source I did. I didnt pay anything really for mine so I hope he didnt get owned. I will inform him.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BARNES-BOSTO...item1c32f12c15
Old 05-26-2013, 07:49 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

As soon as I get the Paypal refund I am fine.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:56 PM
JJ

You've been refunded. Go chillax and have a beer bro.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:00 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

All is good--thanks.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:01 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Hopefully, the guy who is making these gets nabbed.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:12 AM
Matt Hall

FYI, JJ

Regarding studio cabinets, the photo should be mounted, not printed on. If its the latter, it's fake.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:14 AM
JJ

Default Exert

This is the question/warning I gave to the ebay person selling them;
To: johnshawcards
Subject: Other: gorehawg sent a message about BASEBALL CABINET? JOHN EDGAR CLAPPE PHILADELPHIA ATHLETIC EARLY PLAYER #111081714128
Sent Date: May-26-13 05:46:01 PDT

Dear johnshawcards,

Hello,
Sandra sold me one of the cards from the collection a few months back. I was wondering what you thought in regards to their authenticity? I have a buyer on hold who has offered me a nice amount of money. I have taken high res scans and provided them to him. He is one of the top experts on 19th century baseball and I would hate to sell him a counterfeit. Please let me know what ya think.
Sincerely,
-John

- gorehawg
Old 05-27-2013, 07:16 AM
JJ

Default Response

Here is his response;
Dear gorehawg,

Thank you for your question, difficult to answer!!! I will try my best, it is not a photo that is taken and then fixed to the board, the image appears to be formed on the board, as such you could not peel or remove from board, i have had a friend who deals in images for a living, i.e archives them and then sells them, he is not sure how it is done, he eliminates a computer due to the pixel arrangment, we both think they are old, he tested with uv also.
I also know the originals are all in a New York Musuem, they were loaned out to various studios, photographed and them returned, hence they all have the same hand writing on, possibly an early copy of those?? I have found similar on Wikipeadia and seen a couple on EBAY similar to mine fetching between $50-£2000.

I have held on to them for awhile, fearful of misleading anyone, best to treat them as copies, possibly early though, but not as the 1874 Studio issues, how much after that they were done i cannot tell i do not think that to far off the mark, they are certainly interesting, but in my opinion would not be graded, given the little I know regarding grading.

I trust you appreciate i have answered as honestly as I can, happy to try and answer if you feel you need more info.

The above is the same answer i gave when asked a similar question on one of the others i listed, my best advise is to err on the side of caution, treat them as not originals, i sincerely do not want to mislead anybody, nor disappoint anybody, it is not worth my business reputation for a short term gain.

What i can say is I do think they are old, they are certainly very interesting.
Not sure who Sandra is though, can you clarify for me?
Thank you

Best regards

John
Old 05-27-2013, 07:24 AM
JJ

Default Person

From the person who had them originally. This is from an email thread back in Sept 2012.;

hi john,they are all authentic you could not copy the board they are on l have just found one more a team group so 16 in total but 2 of them are on ebay so you would have to bid on them as l can not end the listing because they have less than 12 hours to go.

This is when I first inquired about this cabinet photo. I guess two were sold on ebay. I am going to follow up with this because my buddy out in AU knows this person well. I was introduced to this person through a boxing deal and I have never had issues with my guy in AU. We will see what I can turn up.

Last edited by nameless; 05-27-2013 at 07:25 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-27-2013, 11:25 AM
Matt Hall

That eBay seller gave me the same word for word response when I asked him if the card had a real photo mounted. A simple yes or no would have worked fine

I'm guessing he knows they're fake. There's a myriad of sellers that use similar wording "not selling as original but looks old". Either way he researched the stuff and has carefully worded his auctions and responses accordingly.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:09 AM
Tom Boblitt

Have bought a lot of stuff from the seller in the past--nonsports tobacco cabinets that ARE real and I think he should know the difference. Just my opinion. All the cabinets he has SHOULD have albumen photos attached to mounts. Not sure I buy the 'pixel arrangement' argument. I'd love to see a 600DPI picture of one of them. If I were a betting man, I'd say they are printed on a laser or some type of recent printer and adhered to some form of cardboard. The person who did it should be drawn and quartered.........or eighthed.......
Old 06-03-2013, 05:17 PM
JJ

A bunch of these sold last night and are still up. One sold for over $160.