NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 12-05-2023, 03:00 PM
James M

Post 5,000 ct topps error card boxes 1970's-90's

I bought one of these 5,000 ct. Topps error boxes for $50.00 w/FREE S-H from what used to be one of the biggest eBay dealers in 2006. The dealer name eludes me right now. But they were known for eBay, and their direct website bulk deals cheap. Not DACW...

Turned out they had hundreds of these boxes which almost certainly came directly from Topps. I do know for a fact that no card company ever had pre-2008 licensing rights to sell single card lots like this [but did illegally anyway] other than in factory sealed packs, or factory sets. i spoke to both the MLB and NFL Players Associations.

After going through around 1,000 cards I could easily see they were searched. The majority were blank back/fronts, about 15-%-20% were wrong back/fronts. So I called the dealer and asked them why they were searched and this was not mentioned. They admitted that these were all returned boxes [and most strip searched for minor-stars on up] and that the original price was $200 a box. They offered a refund or another box less likely to be so searched. I took another box.

The second box had several dozen $1.00-$2.00 wrongback of 1987-1991 STAR/RC'S, plus a couple of dozen 1970's wrongbacks w/a couple of semi-stars. However both boxes had the exact same common card errors in lots of 500 or more. Overall I was satisfied. After opening thousands of boxes, I only pulled one football blank back once in my collecting history and none others besides some errors in enough quantity to be in Beckett.
I did buy a few really cool multiple error cards on eBay cheap since 1997. OUT THE BACKDOOR IS THE ONLY WAY TO GET CARDS LIKE THIS...

I have been collecting by buying boxes from 1987-1996. I started donating all my extra cards [stars/RC'S too] and real in-person obtained autographs to hospitalized children or Toys For Tots every year from 1989-2015. Then I switched over to collecting ON CARD ONLY Certified Autograph Inserts from 1996 until 2018.

James

MICHAEL EISNER BURIED TOPPS AND CAUSED THEIR DEMISE JUST LIKE HE ALMOST DID TO DISNEY.

THE FBI IS A CROOKED INSTITUTON! BGS & PSA WERE FULLY INVESTIGATED BY THE FBI FOR GRADING TRIMMED VINTAGE CARDS. THE FBI HAD UNQUESTIONABLE PROOF AGAINST THESE SCUM. THE FBI OPERATION WAS COMPLETED IN LATE 2019 & WAS SWEPT UNDER THE RUG WHEN COVID CAME ALONG.
I QUIT COLLECTING FOR GOOD THEN...
Old 12-05-2023, 03:24 PM
Ben North

Did you buy them from Kruk Cards? I bought one of their 5000 count error boxes. It was advertised to have 82 Topps wrongbacks. I was working on putting the 82 WB set together at the time. No 82 WBs and they told me too bad when I messaged them. They did say I could return it on my dime but I declined.

On a side note the commons actually sell the best. The star players are easy to find. There are other weirdos like me who put blank back/front sets together and the commons are the hard to find cards.

Out the backdoor was NOT the only way to get these cards. Many ended up in packs. The card makers also sold them directly to certain dealers/collectors. I know this as a fact because I personally bought cards directly from one of them. I also bought/sold/traded with a few others that done the same back in the 80s/90s.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 12-09-2023, 02:19 PM
James M

Thank you bnorth! It was indeed kruk cards. It was on the tip of my tongue all day.
In my 2nd box (they paid shipping both ways-guess it depends on which employee), there were several '82 wrong backs going back to '78 as well.

I know dealers that busted '88-91 cases who got a box with nothing but wrong backs. But personally only pulled one out of thousands of boxes,
but you're totally correct; luck of the draw i guess.

Thanks for the welcome to the board!

James

MICHAEL EISNER BURIED TOPPS AND CAUSED THEIR DEMISE JUST LIKE HE ALMOST DID TO DISNEY.

THE FBI IS A CROOKED INSTITUTON! BGS & PSA WERE FULLY INVESTIGATED BY THE FBI FOR GRADING TRIMMED VINTAGE CARDS. THE FBI HAD UNQUESTIONABLE PROOF AGAINST THESE SCUM. THE FBI OPERATION WAS COMPLETED IN LATE 2019 & WAS SWEPT UNDER THE RUG WHEN COVID CAME ALONG.
I QUIT COLLECTING FOR GOOD THEN...
Old 12-09-2023, 08:14 PM

I aquired a couple thousand blank front Topps cards from Kruk cards.

I have a good quantity of Fred McGriff and Lee Smith blank fronts, both HOF'ers.
Old 12-13-2023, 12:12 PM
Robert J. Miller

I have some 1987 blank fronts sheets. Some are on ebay now. They are 264 count sheets.

Tags
blank backs, errors, topps, wrong backs