NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 07-25-2011, 02:37 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Default Question about 1952 Topps Master Set

Aloha! Is the current count of a master set at 553?

407 regular complete set
80 low # black backs
2 page/sain errors
3 high # variations (the double prints)
1 campos blackstar
1 house yellow tiger
59 gray backs

553 is that correct? AND Does psa sgc or beckett note these variations on thier slabs??? If they don't Why Not?
Mahalo, Dave.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:00 PM
Daryle Barbee

First I've heard of the #146 House with yellow Tigers logo.......which is tougher??????....the yellow Tiger (which I have in my set) or the brown Tiger?........???????????????

quick eBay search has a Poor condition example listed on BIN for over $240 and one sold in PSA7 for around $50.......????????

Last edited by wolfdogg; 07-25-2011 at 03:13 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:32 PM
David Pierson
Banned

I've been aware of the yellow tiger house for many years and I know for a fact it is much tougher than the one with the "red" tongue. But as far as recognized by the hobby, that is only recent. The value hasn't really been determined yet. One will be listed on ebay in early august in psa6.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:56 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

There are at least three other background variations-Feller, Crandall and one other who I can't recall (Boone maybe). The number of existing gray backs should also be divisible by 10 to my mind. You should take a look at this thread too: http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=128654

Last edited by toppcat; 07-25-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:22 PM

Default Gray backs

There are 60 Gray Backs.

Last edited by Zach Wheat; 07-25-2011 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:03 AM
Al Richter

Default 52s

The yellow House was discussed by Bob Lemke in a recent SCD article. They have been showing up on ebay since, usually in bad shape, but still selling at a pretty good premium. They are much more scarce than the regular. I did find a decent one

Bob also had a recent article on two 52 print defects, broken /partial borders on the Woodling and Scheib cards. They can be found with some scrutiny on ebay

In addition to the black star, I also have a third Campos card in which a portion of the upper left and top border are missing. It was discussed in an SCD article as well,

Dave--I have heard of the Red/Orange Crandall, but never seen it. The Feller is hard to spot. There are 3 distinctly different Boone cards ( front). There are some other front variations in the first series ( Glaviano and Whemeir come to mind) but they are always equated with the differences in red and black backs.

Houk can be found with a pink or whitish background'

I had not noticed the mispelled outfield on the Zernial before

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 07-26-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:47 PM
Daryle Barbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
The yellow House was discussed by Bob Lemke in a recent SCD article. They have been showing up on ebay since, usually in bad shape, but still selling at a pretty good premium. They are much more scarce than the regular. I did find a decent one

Bob also had a recent article on two 52 print defects, broken /partial borders on the Woodling and Scheib cards. They can be found with some scrutiny on ebay

In addition to the black star, I also have a third Campos card in which a portion of the upper left and top border are missing. It was discussed in an SCD article as well,

Dave--I have heard of the Red/Orange Crandall, but never seen it. The Feller is hard to spot. There are 3 distinctly different Boone cards ( front). There are some other front variations in the first series ( Glaviano and Whemeir come to mind) but they are always equated with the differences in red and black backs.

Houk can be found with a pink or whitish background'

I had not noticed the mispelled outfield on the Zernial before

Anyone got scans of the broken/partial borders for the Woodling and Scheib cards?.......and the 2 Feller cards?
Old 07-27-2011, 05:26 PM
thomas c killeen

Default 1952 topps variations

hi guys i am thomas killeen of massachusetts the collector who bob lemke did the write ups on the house comes with red tongue or plain yellow looks about equal in distribution. did not want to cause more confusion than necessary when introducing the variations also please see the 1952 topps #99 gene woodling and 1952 topps #116 carl scheib variations. some of you are familiar with me those of you who are not i would like to welcome you to any input on the subject of 1952 topps errors and or variations. the findings came about as a result of collecting an autograph set of 1952 topps and have the fortune of possessing a good memory and noticed some of the differences there are many more very distinct errors, just thought it was too much for the market to absorb at once. although the errors brought to the attention of collectors and auctions have had an overwhelmingly popular acceptance.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:34 PM
Keith

Below are the links to Bob Lemke's articles on the 52 Topps variations.

http://boblemke.blogspot.com/2011/05...s-in-your.html

http://boblemke.blogspot.com/2011/05...variation.html
Old 07-28-2011, 02:17 PM
Daryle Barbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradmar48 View Post
Below are the links to Bob Lemke's articles on the 52 Topps variations.

http://boblemke.blogspot.com/2011/05...s-in-your.html

http://boblemke.blogspot.com/2011/05...variation.html
Thanks....I found the Scheib variation just by looking at listed cards on the Bay but couldn't pinpoint the Woodling.

How about the Feller?....anyone?anyone?anyone?
Old 07-28-2011, 06:13 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Default Feller

This link shows the distinct slats in the yellow background, which is a wall or building: http://cgi.ebay.com/1952-Topps-Baseb...#ht_500wt_1287

The alternate is a murkier background with no slats showing but is a lot harder for find from what I have seen. This may show both: http://www.google.com/imgres?q=1952+...w=1366&bih=681

I recall some really blurry ones but don't have any.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:16 PM
Daryle Barbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppcat View Post
This link shows the distinct slats in the yellow background, which is a wall or building: http://cgi.ebay.com/1952-Topps-Baseb...#ht_500wt_1287

The alternate is a murkier background with no slats showing but is a lot harder for find from what I have seen. This may show both: http://www.google.com/imgres?q=1952+...w=1366&bih=681

I recall some really blurry ones but don't have any.

Thanks