NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-25-2001, 11:11 PM
Administrator

Default Views on Shipping and handling charges?

Posted By: Lee Behrens

This is a topic I would like to hear some discussion about. I personally charge $2.50 S/H (which is posted in my auctions) for each of my single card auctions, if they are multiple winners I do not charge any extra. It cost me .55 postage, .20 bubble pack, the rest is to help cover the cost of the auction. I do not feel this is excessive and is posted in my description.

I have recently won an auction that charged me over $6 S/H,with no insurance, for 10 T206 cards, that was not listed in the description, just the mention that the buyer needs to pay S/H. I questioned them on the charge with the explain of the shipping cost, there time to ship and pack, packing cost, and the weight of the plastic holders. I kind of took it as an insult, like I had never shipped before. The actual cost of shipping if you stretched would maybe reach $3 first class. I honored his request but let him know of my dissatisfaction, and will probably not bid on his auctions in the future.

I do not have a problem with any shipping charge that is posted, because you can factor into your bid. I don't like the fact of getting raped after you have won the bid.

Thanks for the therapy session.

Lee
bowl@rea-alp.com

Old 11-26-2001, 05:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: MikeSchmidt

Lee-

Sounds like you got the shaft in that auction. I typically charge $2- for single cards, $3- for multiple cards, and about $1- each per lot for multiple winnings.

I personally feel that it is appropriate to leave neutral feedback for someone who claims "Buyer pays actual shipping charges", but then charges $6- on an item that has $0.76 in stamps and perhaps a padded envelope.

There are way too many sellers on Ebay (it is not as bad with baseball cards as in other areas) who make their profit margins on the upcharge in postage, and not in the actual item. I guess it's no worse than those TV informerials where you can get the item for four easy payments of $29.99, fully refundable if not satisfied, that is, except for the $25- in shipping and handling you pay!

Old 11-26-2001, 05:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John

If the person puts the total in the auction then i feel they can charge whatever they want as long as you know before hand you should factor that in to what your paying....but when people dont put the total in,i either email them or if they have a low/bad feedback record dont bid at all....in your case i would not buy from them again,but also tell people who they are so it doesnt happen to someone else....one of the board members on the other board got charged $12 for a single card,and the auction said "buyer pays shipping",and he told people because he didnt want it to happen to other people...also if it says "buyer pays ACTUAL shipping" from a reliable seller then ill usually bid....take care,John

Old 11-26-2001, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom (autograf)

I generally charge $2.00 on single cards with values at about $20.00 and below. Above that, and especially with pricey items, I pretty much force people to take insurance as I don't want to be responsible for the actions of the USPS....especially lately.....if the $6.00 included insurance, then I don't think it's entirely unreasonable unless it comes in an envelope with a 55c stamp on it. Depends on the value of the (10) T206 cards......$200.00 value with insurance would be $3.00 for insurance alone. So....no insurance, you got screwed, with insurance could see it.

Old 12-05-2001, 05:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I agree with the folks that say if a shipping charge is stated it is ok to charge whatever. Forewarned is fairwarned. Just factor in the cost and make a decision. As for me it seems I somehow always lose on shipping. Yesterday I sent the G & B out Fedex overnight as stated in the auction, with insurance. I stated $30.00 shipping in the auction description. Actual cost was $34.98 regards all...

Old 12-05-2001, 09:15 AM
Administrator

I received the cards today, with some postage refunded and the cards were as described. Everthing was handled very well.

Lee

Old 12-05-2001, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony

Ok, here's another variation on the topic. I believe that the seller is responsible for getting the product to the buyer safely. If it is lost, then the transaction hasn't been completed, and the buyer is due a refund. While most sellers I've dealt with have agreed when something didn't show up (about 4 times in 500+ transactions) two didn't. If you are selling an item shouldn't insurance always be included in the shipping and handling charges? I always request it to be, and never question paying extra for it if necessary. Any thoughts? Is the seller only responsible for dropping the package in the mail, as one had stated?

Old 12-05-2001, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

I in no way believe that everything I send through the mail gets to the people to whom I'm sending the item. However, if the buyer is unwilling to pay an extra dollar for insurance and confirmation, then I will not pay that extra money myself.

For one reason or another, I end up with a lot of "junk" that I try to move on Ebay -- many in the $10 - $20 range. Often, buyers will not be willing to pay extra money for insurance and delivery confirmation. When they don't I just drop it in the mail.

The fact is, the US Postal Service (inefficient as it is), successfully delivers 99.9998% percent of the mail it processes. The time when there are errors in the process are usually human errors -- incorrect address provided, incorrect address written, etc. I am happy to insure items or ship them whatever way a buyer would like. But, often, buyer are unwilling to pay the extra expense.

I think all sellers should have a threshold on which they require insurance. For me, that threshold is $100-.

Old 12-05-2001, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

That's a tricky subject. I pay for insurance on items I sell for over $50 to avoid that problem. But it's a hassle to go to the Post Office just to insure a $10 card, so you're probably better off just reimbursing buyers for lost items that don't cost much. I sent a check to a buyer for a piece of broken glass in a display the other day - just seemed like good business practice. E-bay has some sort of insurance deal, but I think there's a deductable.

Old 12-05-2001, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Hey remember, One man's junk is another mans treasure. I have limited resources and prefer quanity over quality (which would be nice and I do treat myself every now and then), but I am very pleased with the cards I have aquired.

I feel the $50 threshold is the best for me. Shot if you add insurance to a $10 item thats a 10% add to the cost.

Lee

Old 12-05-2001, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

Lee, I am constantly amazed at your ability to find decent cards at low prices.