NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on Ebay
Pre-WWII Cards
Post WWII Cards
Vintage Memorabilia
Babe Ruth Cards
Ty Cobb Cards
Lou Gehrig Cards
Mickey Mantle Cards
Goudey Cards
Bowman Cards
T205s on Ebay
Tobacco "T" Cards
Caramel "E" Cards
Vintage Baseball Postcards
Football Cards on Ebay
Exhibit Cards
Strip Cards
Baking Cards
Sporting News
Playball Cards on Ebay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-22-2019, 06:16 PM
MRSPORTSCARDCOLLECTOR MRSPORTSCARDCOLLECTOR is offline
member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 59
Default Tom Brady or Joe Namath rookie cards what is the better bet longrun?

I am going to go with Tom Brady as it looks like the Patriots will be 8-0 this Sunday to cause more hype this season, plus more people have seen Tom Brady play, so Tom Brady sells in more volume. So even though I appreciate the Joe Namath card we will find Brady got more fans.
I think of it in this way more people rather have the Michael Jordan and LeBron rookies than of the great Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain. So more people rather have the Brady rookie than Joe Namath rookie.
Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-22-2019, 06:18 PM
shernan30's Avatar
shernan30 shernan30 is offline
Steven H.
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lancaster, Ohio
Posts: 994
Default

Brady values are in the moment while Namath has endured many years of leveling. Will Brady be more valuable than Namath in the future? I see him leveling off to the same value as as Namath in the long run.
__________________
Current Search:
Bob Meusel Set: 12/41
R312 Pastels Set: 6/50
1941 Skybirds: 14/24
1903-1908 Highlander Photos: 0/11
---------------------------------------------------------------
Check out our collection: Bailen Cards
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-22-2019, 07:01 PM
MRSPORTSCARDCOLLECTOR MRSPORTSCARDCOLLECTOR is offline
member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shernan30 View Post
Brady values are in the moment while Namath has endured many years of leveling. Will Brady be more valuable than Namath in the future? I see him leveling off to the same value as as Namath in the long run.
but right now 6 Superbowls to 1?
Brady might even get a 7. That would be all time.
How could Joe Namath and that one SB compare?
Is the New York pull that strong?
Also when Joe Namath won it was 50 years ago, so we got to think his fanbase is aging out.
I think Tom Brady will be the rookie card in the end.
I am fair though and if anyone can give me a decent argument as to why the Joe Namath rookie card is the best over Tom Brady I will listen.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-22-2019, 07:20 PM
Anish's Avatar
Anish Anish is offline
Ani.sh Kan.abar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 176
Default

Brady, easily. Specifically his Contenders. Contenders is as important to the 2000ís as Topps was to the 50ís-80ís and the Brady is the definitive card of the GOAT.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-22-2019, 07:39 PM
Bored5000's Avatar
Bored5000 Bored5000 is offline
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Fleetwood, Pa.
Posts: 972
Default

I agree with the last several posts. Namath is not comparable to Brady. Wilt and Russell are in the conversation with Jordan and Lebron for the best of all time. Namath is not in that discussion with Brady, and Brady's cards will reflect that long term.
__________________
Flawless BST transactions with arcadekrazy, Moonlight Graham, Arazi4442, wrestlingcardking and Justus.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-22-2019, 08:17 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 20,079
Default

Namath barely makes some top 100 lists. That said, he's the perfect storm -- New York, Broadway Joe (is there a more perfect nickname except perhaps the Galloping Ghost?), the swagger, the Super Bowl which was a defining moment in football history, the famous and unforgettable prediction, and the rookie card being from a very cool and relatively tough set. Plus there are two zillion Brady rookies.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.

"...we don't believe that there is anything of a material nature for our company to be concerned with." -- Joseph J. Orlando

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-22-2019 at 08:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-22-2019, 08:34 PM
Anish's Avatar
Anish Anish is offline
Ani.sh Kan.abar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Namath barely makes some top 100 lists. That said, he's the perfect storm -- New York, Broadway Joe (is there a more perfect nickname except perhaps the Galloping Ghost?), the swagger, the Super Bowl which was a defining moment in football history, the famous and unforgettable prediction, and the rookie card being from a very cool and relatively tough set. Plus there are two zillion Brady rookies.
He has like 40 rcís but only one thatís signed. And that one card has already sold for more than any Namath.

Yeah, that one Super Bowl win is memorable but more memorable than Bradyís close to double digit appearances? A whole generation has seen Brady in the Super Bowl every other year of his career.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-22-2019, 09:14 PM
MRSPORTSCARDCOLLECTOR MRSPORTSCARDCOLLECTOR is offline
member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Namath barely makes some top 100 lists. That said, he's the perfect storm -- New York, Broadway Joe (is there a more perfect nickname except perhaps the Galloping Ghost?), the swagger, the Super Bowl which was a defining moment in football history, the famous and unforgettable prediction, and the rookie card being from a very cool and relatively tough set. Plus there are two zillion Brady rookies.
Good points, but I might argue Tom Brady might have more swagger than Broadway Joe because right now Brady is better looking and married to a top hot model that makes more than him in Gisele.
Although I admire Namath I think the Brady rookies got this.
lol. That I am using outside sources like looks and a model wife for future popularity when 6 Super Bowls to 1 should be enough.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-22-2019, 09:45 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 20,079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSPORTSCARDCOLLECTOR View Post
Good points, but I might argue Tom Brady might have more swagger than Broadway Joe because right now Brady is better looking and married to a top hot model that makes more than him in Gisele.
Although I admire Namath I think the Brady rookies got this.
lol. That I am using outside sources like looks and a model wife for future popularity when 6 Super Bowls to 1 should be enough.
I love Brady but let's face it, he is boring, probably a victim of the system forced on him but nonetheless, he is boring. Namath was anything but.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.

"...we don't believe that there is anything of a material nature for our company to be concerned with." -- Joseph J. Orlando
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-22-2019, 11:00 PM
mr2686 mr2686 is online now
Mike Rich@rds0n
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ca
Posts: 2,382
Default

Joe did not marry a super model...he just dated them two at a time.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-23-2019, 01:28 PM
Exhibitman's Avatar
Exhibitman Exhibitman is offline
Ad@m W@r$h@w
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Beautiful Downtown Burbank
Posts: 7,610
Default

Apples and oranges. Namath is the legendary player; the guarantee, the women, the celebrity. Namath's card is the 'best' AFL card ever made. It is of an era. Brady is probably the GOAT and his top card may be the best modern FB card. Different collector base, different point in life when each card has appeal to a collector. When you get into history you understand the appeal of Namath's card.

But the question was future prospects. In absolute cash terms, I think the Brady probably has more upside because it sells for so much more than the Namath. Each 1% increase on a $400K card (the Beckett 10 last February) is the equivalent of a 1.75% increase on a $228K card (the PSA 9 in 2018 Heritage).

As for personal desires, I'd skip 'em both for a Jim Brown RC...But I'm a Brown collector.
__________________
Please visit my web site: www.americasgreatboxingcards.com
Judge a man by how he treats someone who can do nothing for him--Nick Charles
Buying the card and not the holder for 40 years.

Last edited by Exhibitman; 10-23-2019 at 01:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-23-2019, 04:17 PM
AGuinness's Avatar
AGuinness AGuinness is offline
Garth Guibord
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 750
Default

We're talking about card value, which is tied to a player's performance, but not exclusively. Some players are "football gold," "baseball gold," etc. but not necessarily "card gold." Namath and Brady seem to be both football and card gold.
For future prospects, Brady is going to have a lot of publicity for years to come, retirement, jersey retirement, election into Canton, induction day, "Tom Brady Day" in New England, etc. etc. And I believe his non-football career could very likely lead to more exposure (films, perhaps?). All of that should stoke the demand for his cards. So there's probably more upside with Brady.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-23-2019, 04:52 PM
AGuinness's Avatar
AGuinness AGuinness is offline
Garth Guibord
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 750
Default

There's going to be a lot more of this in the coming months, years, etc...
https://sports.yahoo.com/for-the-fir...184152705.html
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-27-2019, 05:09 AM
brafcauknid brafcauknid is offline
member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 22
Default

The Brady contenders auto is going
To outclass the Namath rookie obviously, and certain Psa 10s May eventually, but the vast majority of Bradyís rookie cards wonít ever touch Namathís simply because of the sheer numbers of Brady rookie cards out there. And Brady the goat or not, joe Namath has his own set of rules that govern his card values vs actual skill/ranking as a QB.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-27-2019, 01:26 PM
AGuinness's Avatar
AGuinness AGuinness is offline
Garth Guibord
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 750
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brafcauknid View Post
The Brady contenders auto is going
To outclass the Namath rookie obviously, and certain Psa 10s May eventually, but the vast majority of Bradyís rookie cards wonít ever touch Namathís simply because of the sheer numbers of Brady rookie cards out there. And Brady the goat or not, joe Namath has his own set of rules that govern his card values vs actual skill/ranking as a QB.
That's the supply side, but it doesn't take into consideration the demand side fully. For instance, Mike Trout's flagship update rookie has a huge supply, but the demand is high enough to command big prices. As I noted earlier, there are a great number of upcoming milestones for Brady to help stoke the demand.
And since this is for investment purposes, I see more upside for Brady rookies rather than the Namath rookie. The volume of options actually provides for opportunity, as there are surely undervalued Brady issues that qualify for the RC designation. And while some of those issues may never touch the Namath rookie for price, if investing is the main thrust I would rather put a couple hundred into a Brady rookie with the potential to double it or so to $500 than put money approaching $1,000 for a low grade Namath rookie when it might not yield the same return.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-27-2019, 11:04 PM
MRSPORTSCARDCOLLECTOR MRSPORTSCARDCOLLECTOR is offline
member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 59
Default

Tom Brady and the Patriots now undefeated at 8-0. The magic ride continues.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-27-2019, 11:10 PM
MRSPORTSCARDCOLLECTOR MRSPORTSCARDCOLLECTOR is offline
member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuinness View Post
We're talking about card value, which is tied to a player's performance, but not exclusively. Some players are "football gold," "baseball gold," etc. but not necessarily "card gold." Namath and Brady seem to be both football and card gold.
For future prospects, Brady is going to have a lot of publicity for years to come, retirement, jersey retirement, election into Canton, induction day, "Tom Brady Day" in New England, etc. etc. And I believe his non-football career could very likely lead to more exposure (films, perhaps?). All of that should stoke the demand for his cards. So there's probably more upside with Brady.
Agreed and as that happens the Joe Namath Super Bowl victory and their fans will be getting close to 60 years later.
Like I said before Wilt and Bill Russell were the kings, but because it happened so long ago we find Jordan and LeBron rookies selling in more volume.
I see the same effect happening with Tom Brady over Broadway Joe.
ps. great debates btw by everyone about this.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-18-2019, 07:21 PM
pgconboy's Avatar
pgconboy pgconboy is offline
Peirce Conboy
member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: CA by way of MN
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anish View Post
He has like 40 rc’s but only one that’s signed. And that one card has already sold for more than any Namath.
What makes you consider Brady only having 1 rookie thats autographed? Assuming you are counting his Contenders card as the 1...

2000 Fleer Tradition Autographics
2000 Press Pass Autograph
2000 SCORE ROOKIE PREVIEW
2000 Pacific Crown Royale Autograph
Probably others.

Edit - To answer the question at hand I would say Brady. I think Namath is in a down trend. With the popular emphasis on analytics (that don't do him justice) and stats, Namath comes off looking fairly pedestrian. Plus his famous drunken sideline footage doesn't help.
__________________
WIP All Time Baseball Team: https://imgur.com/a/N4LjC
WTB: Looking for @ SCG/PSA 1.5-3.5ish E95: Cobb, Cicotte
WTB: 1932 Caramel Lefty Grove, 1914 Cracker Jack Grover Alexander
Extensive Magic The Gathering collection, possibly willing to trade some for E95/Pre War HOFers.
Football Auto Collection: https://www.instagram.com/goatrosters/

Last edited by pgconboy; 11-18-2019 at 08:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-25-2019, 11:54 PM
MRSPORTSCARDCOLLECTOR MRSPORTSCARDCOLLECTOR is offline
member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 59
Default

How big is Tom Brady compared to Joe Namath?

Cowboys-Patriots was the most-watched regular-season NFL game in over a decade
https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...cade/23867644/

The game received a 19.5/40 metered rating. That was the highest rating for a regular-season NFL game since 2007, according to Fox Sports.

Sorry Namath fans but Tom Brady has dethroned Broadway Joe. That`s the facts.

Last edited by MRSPORTSCARDCOLLECTOR; 11-25-2019 at 11:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-26-2019, 01:01 AM
TanksAndSpartans's Avatar
TanksAndSpartans TanksAndSpartans is online now
John
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 768
Default

I think because of the relative lack of interest in football history, it wouldn't surprise me at all for modern cards to rise to the top of the rankings of valuable football cards. That said, I think the vintage collector would spend on a Namath or Chicle Nagurski over an expensive modern card. I think some market segmentation has to be recognized - I have a few modern cards, but I don't even know what year or set the Brady rookie comes from. If no one collected cards of players from before they were born, T206s would have crashed by now.

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 11-26-2019 at 01:11 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-26-2019, 11:03 PM
MRSPORTSCARDCOLLECTOR MRSPORTSCARDCOLLECTOR is offline
member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanksAndSpartans View Post
I think because of the relative lack of interest in football history, it wouldn't surprise me at all for modern cards to rise to the top of the rankings of valuable football cards. That said, I think the vintage collector would spend on a Namath or Chicle Nagurski over an expensive modern card. I think some market segmentation has to be recognized - I have a few modern cards, but I don't even know what year or set the Brady rookie comes from. If no one collected cards of players from before they were born, T206s would have crashed by now.
Good points. This also happening in the NBA as most people want the LeBron and Jordan rookie cards over the old timers.
I also think the baby boomer New York is in play here with Namath like it is with Mickey Mantle. Should be interesting to see how it is in 10 more years when those baby boomer New York fans are very old or unfortunately have passed on.
ps. Sorry for being morbid but my late grandfather was the biggest Hopalong Cassiday and Roy Rogers fan around, but when he passed we sold his collection for pennies on the dollar. No one really was caring about those old icons, Another incident was my 82 year old uncle died and left me over 1000 78 records. Couldn't get $10 for them so just donated them for free.
So I am betting on the younger Brady fanbase to outlast the NY baby boomers of the 1960s in the long run.

Last edited by MRSPORTSCARDCOLLECTOR; 11-27-2019 at 08:03 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-27-2019, 11:08 AM
TanksAndSpartans's Avatar
TanksAndSpartans TanksAndSpartans is online now
John
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 768
Default

I can definitely see the Namath/Mantle comparison.

A better question may be a Brady v. a Chicle Nagurski - since it isn't really fans who saw Nagurski play buying that one.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-29-2019, 05:13 PM
MRSPORTSCARDCOLLECTOR MRSPORTSCARDCOLLECTOR is offline
member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanksAndSpartans View Post
I can definitely see the Namath/Mantle comparison.

A better question may be a Brady v. a Chicle Nagurski - since it isn't really fans who saw Nagurski play buying that one.
I honestly don't think it`s close.
Brady won 6 Superbowls and Namath won one. It`s just shows the power of those baby boomers from New York. The same boomers that put Mantle over Willie Mays, Jackie Robinson, Hank Aaron and Roberto Clemente.
Their power is waning though. We will see in 10 years.
tick tock tick tock . lol.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-30-2019, 06:32 PM
mr2686 mr2686 is online now
Mike Rich@rds0n
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ca
Posts: 2,382
Default

I think it comes down to this.
Who has all the records and the Super Bowl wins and the longevity...Brady.
Who was more fun and exciting to watch...Namath
Who would I choose if I had one game to win with my life on the line...Montana.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-01-2019, 10:49 AM
Anish's Avatar
Anish Anish is offline
Ani.sh Kan.abar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgconboy View Post
What makes you consider Brady only having 1 rookie thats autographed? Assuming you are counting his Contenders card as the 1...

2000 Fleer Tradition Autographics
2000 Press Pass Autograph
2000 SCORE ROOKIE PREVIEW
2000 Pacific Crown Royale Autograph
Probably others.

Edit - To answer the question at hand I would say Brady. I think Namath is in a down trend. With the popular emphasis on analytics (that don't do him justice) and stats, Namath comes off looking fairly pedestrian. Plus his famous drunken sideline footage doesn't help.
Those are inserts, though, not rookie cards.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12-01-2019, 12:42 PM
samosa4u's Avatar
samosa4u samosa4u is online now
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Toronto
Posts: 617
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSPORTSCARDCOLLECTOR View Post
I also think the baby boomer New York is in play here with Namath like it is with Mickey Mantle. Should be interesting to see how it is in 10 more years when those baby boomer New York fans are very old or unfortunately have passed on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanksAndSpartans View Post
I can definitely see the Namath/Mantle comparison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSPORTSCARDCOLLECTOR View Post
It`s just shows the power of those baby boomers from New York. The same boomers that put Mantle over Willie Mays, Jackie Robinson, Hank Aaron and Roberto Clemente.
Their power is waning though. We will see in 10 years.
tick tock tick tock . lol.
To even bring up Mantle's name when discussing Namath shows me that you know nothing about professional sports. There is a reason why boomers worship him and that's because they watched him go to the World Series twelve times (and win seven of them). He also set many World Series records which still have not been broken today, won the Triple Crown, got over 500 HRs, I could go on and on. Mantle dominated his era, period.

Willie Mays was the better player, yes, but having only one ring will always hurt him. The same goes for Hank Aaron - only one ring. Jackie Robinson doesn't even belong in this debate. He is popular for different reasons.

I think if you wanted to do a comparison, putting Mantle's name next to Tom Brady would make a lot more sense. Brady wasn't the most talented QB of his era, but he knew how to win, and he did it again and again.

And the last thing I want to say is that I've been shopping around for a decent-looking Mantle rookie for months now and I've spoken to so many owners, and guess what? Majority of them are under the age of forty-five. It looks like the boomers have already passed on their 'Mantle love' to the next generation!
__________________
Successful transactions on Net54: Peter_Spaeth, esehombre, scooter729, NiceDocter, Mishu2nite, wolf441, Jim F, jdeptula, mckinneyj and more!

Last edited by samosa4u; 12-01-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-01-2019, 10:09 PM
pgconboy's Avatar
pgconboy pgconboy is offline
Peirce Conboy
member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: CA by way of MN
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anish View Post
Those are inserts, though, not rookie cards.
Oh, that's a distinction that the vast majority of collectors don't follow.
__________________
WIP All Time Baseball Team: https://imgur.com/a/N4LjC
WTB: Looking for @ SCG/PSA 1.5-3.5ish E95: Cobb, Cicotte
WTB: 1932 Caramel Lefty Grove, 1914 Cracker Jack Grover Alexander
Extensive Magic The Gathering collection, possibly willing to trade some for E95/Pre War HOFers.
Football Auto Collection: https://www.instagram.com/goatrosters/
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-02-2019, 06:42 PM
Anish's Avatar
Anish Anish is offline
Ani.sh Kan.abar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgconboy View Post
Oh, that's a distinction that the vast majority of collectors don't follow.
Modern card collectors? No, it definitely is

Here’s a breakdown of his RC’s: https://www.beckett.com/news/tom-brady-rookie-cards/

The Contenders is a massively important card.

Last edited by Anish; 12-02-2019 at 06:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-03-2019, 06:11 AM
the 'stache's Avatar
the 'stache the 'stache is offline
Bill Gregory
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Flower Mound, Texas
Posts: 3,802
Default

All this talk of Brady being the GOAT makes me giggle. Most accomplished? Yes. Greatest to ever play? LOL, not even close.
__________________
Building these sets: T206, 1953 Bowman Color, 1975 Topps.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-03-2019, 09:08 AM
Bored5000's Avatar
Bored5000 Bored5000 is offline
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Fleetwood, Pa.
Posts: 972
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
All this talk of Brady being the GOAT makes me giggle. Most accomplished? Yes. Greatest to ever play? LOL, not even close.
Brady is "not even close" to being the greatest of all time?
__________________
Flawless BST transactions with arcadekrazy, Moonlight Graham, Arazi4442, wrestlingcardking and Justus.

Last edited by Bored5000; 12-03-2019 at 09:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 12-03-2019, 06:28 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 20,079
Default

Let me guess, unbiased "Milwaukee Bill" will argue that Aaron Rodgers and Brett Favre were better.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.

"...we don't believe that there is anything of a material nature for our company to be concerned with." -- Joseph J. Orlando

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-03-2019 at 06:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 12-04-2019, 05:02 PM
obiwin obiwin is offline
member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 41
Default Will Namath even be football relevant in 50 yrs?

Besides some NY kids who may have had fathers who idolized Namath, I don't get the sense any Millennial or younger know or care who he is nor will care about any of the stories, etc. What was considered flamboyant and outrageous back then probably sounds tame and lame compared to the trouble modern athletes get into today and the ease in which its documented in social media.

I wonder if Sammy Baugh's lack of price movement in the past decade is a good analogy indicator of how Namath's cards will perform once all the Boomers who saw him play are no longer around driving demand and prices up.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 12-05-2019, 06:01 AM
mr2686 mr2686 is online now
Mike Rich@rds0n
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ca
Posts: 2,382
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by obiwin View Post
Besides some NY kids who may have had fathers who idolized Namath, I don't get the sense any Millennial or younger know or care who he is nor will care about any of the stories, etc. What was considered flamboyant and outrageous back then probably sounds tame and lame compared to the trouble modern athletes get into today and the ease in which its documented in social media.

I wonder if Sammy Baugh's lack of price movement in the past decade is a good analogy indicator of how Namath's cards will perform once all the Boomers who saw him play are no longer around driving demand and prices up.
For that matter, will Brady still be relevant in 50 years? For all we know, modern technology and medicine will allow players to play in to their 60's, which would allow players to shatter even Brady's records.
Bottom line, collect what you love, and if you make money down the line even better.
__________________
Catfish Hunter Regular Season Win Tickets - 13/224 Post Season 0/9
1955 Dodger Autographs...32/40
1934 Gas House Gang Autographs...Complete
1969 Cubs Autographs...21/49
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 12-07-2019, 06:53 PM
Exhibitman's Avatar
Exhibitman Exhibitman is offline
Ad@m W@r$h@w
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Beautiful Downtown Burbank
Posts: 7,610
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
Who would I choose if I had one game to win with my life on the line...Montana.
This. The absolute finest clutch QB I ever saw play. I was lucky to live in SF right at the heart of that team's run and saw a lot of and about him. Montana was just amazing. Only other guy who had the same 'he can do it' vibe that I recall was Ken Stabler.

Where do Staubach and Unitas fit into this?
__________________
Please visit my web site: www.americasgreatboxingcards.com
Judge a man by how he treats someone who can do nothing for him--Nick Charles
Buying the card and not the holder for 40 years.

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-07-2019 at 06:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 12-07-2019, 08:59 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 20,079
Default

Brady is 30-10 in the postseason. I'd be equally fine for one crucial game with him or Montana. Bradshaw was 14-5 postseason, sure he played on a great team but he's worthy of mention.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.

"...we don't believe that there is anything of a material nature for our company to be concerned with." -- Joseph J. Orlando
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tom Brady Rookie Card gnaz01 Football Cards Forum 24 01-26-2018 05:38 PM
FS: Tom Brady Rookie Cards greenmonster66 Football Cards Forum 1 03-22-2013 07:10 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:23 PM.


ebay GSB