NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-06-2019, 07:30 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Jay, I think you are right. But that’s one pretty card.

Last REA auction, I got shut out bc I was nervous about dropping multiple (7+) max bids on expensive cards for fear all my max bids would hold and I would be “stuck” spending much more than I expected. I am not sure what I will do this time. All I can tell you is that while I LOVE REA (great company, great auctions, great people), I HATE that every single lot in the auction closes at the same time.
Please let us know what a 7+ bid is..... is that a bid that has seven digits in it ($1,000,000)? Or does that mean a a poor mans 7+ bid that includes the decimal point such as $10,000.00? Hate to be driving a fully loaded Model 3 Tesla while wishing to driving a Ferrari F60.....

In either case, a nice dilemma....
Old 12-06-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Please let us know what a 7+ bid is..... is that a bid that has seven digits in it ($1,000,000)? Or does that mean a a poor mans 7+ bid that includes the decimal point such as $10,000.00? Hate to be driving a fully loaded Model 3 Tesla while wishing to driving a Ferrari F60.....

In either case, a nice dilemma....
7+ refers to the number of max bids I would have placed, not the size of the bids.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:44 PM
Fred

Thank you, I've never really considered the number of max bids placed when deciding to put another bid in. That's an interesting thought. My bidding style is a bit unsophisticated and probably a bit reckless.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:16 PM
Joe H
Joe He.rne

god these 5 minute mini-extensions drive me bananas
Old 12-08-2019, 04:19 PM
Ja@ck Win.ston

Quote:
Originally Posted by phikappapsi View Post
god these 5 minute mini-extensions drive me bananas
They really shouldn't. Look at the bidding activity using their recent bids link. The auction is not going to end until close to midnight.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:23 PM
Joe H
Joe He.rne

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackW View Post
They really shouldn't. Look at the bidding activity using their recent bids link. The auction is not going to end until close to midnight.

I know - and I get it; i just wish the deadline was applied on a lot level. so any item not receiving a bid within 5 minutes, that particular lot closed. I hate waiting on my 10-12 items of interest because other completely unrelated items are in a bidding war - I 100% understand the WHY, but I still dislike it
Old 12-08-2019, 04:37 PM
je.sse @rnot

I don't mind the format. If they closed 1 at a time I may let an earlier lot go only to get blown off a later lot and end up losing both. This way I can decide close to midnight which lots to go for.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:49 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

If a lot only has one bid it effectively closes at 3:00. It is still open but no one can bid. I have one of those in the win column.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 12-08-2019, 05:02 PM

Looks like the PSA 10 Jeter rookie is at $140k BEFORE juice. The one in Heritage sold for $138k w/ juice...looks like a new bar for that card, this week.

Last edited by MVSNYC; 12-08-2019 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:08 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
Looks like the PSA 10 Jeter rookie is at $140k BEFORE juice. The one in Heritage sold for $138k w/ juice...looks like a new bar for that card, this week.
That's insane. Guy is still walking around doing stuff. Has lived a squeaky clean life, but what if he was involved in some terrible scandal in a year. His value could drop dramatically. At least Babe Ruth is doing causing all the chaos he will ever cause.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:16 PM

Not sure I agree. Look at Pete Rose, his cards have only risen in value since his scandal broke.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:20 PM
“the bambino”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
IMO, its best not to share everything. I won't lie if asked directly, but there's a reason I have stuff sent to my office.
LMAO... glad to see I’m not the only one.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:24 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
AMAZING...to me that a modern card that can literally be "created" at any time is the price leader in this or any auction? The power of the modern collector!
Old 12-08-2019, 06:37 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
That's insane. Guy is still walking around doing stuff. Has lived a squeaky clean life, but what if he was involved in some terrible scandal in a year. His value could drop dramatically. At least Babe Ruth is doing causing all the chaos he will ever cause.
The greater risk is that some of these 10s end up outed as trimmed, or a lot more 10s surface or are created in my opinion. A major Jeter scandal seems unlikely, but I guess you never know.

It doesn't seem like that long ago these were barely pushing 50k. I think only recently a couple broke 100. The modern market on the high end doesn't seem to care at all about how many of these cards are being exposed as trimmed.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:54 PM
je.sse @rnot

Anyone else still up watching their bids?
Old 12-08-2019, 08:56 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Just my consignments
Old 12-08-2019, 08:59 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig View Post
Just my consignments
If your screen name is an indicator I may be bidding on one or two of yours. Best of luck.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:00 PM
Ja@ck Win.ston

Quote:
Lol. It's 11 p.m. Yes.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:01 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Quote:
If your screen name is an indicator I may be bidding on one or two of yours. Best of luck.
No Ruth or Gehrig items of mine. Good luck hope you hang on
Old 12-08-2019, 09:33 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig View Post
No Ruth or Gehrig items of mine. Good luck hope you hang on
Thanks, only winning 1 at the moment and it's not a ruth or gehrig either. On the fence about throwing another bid in or not on the rest
Old 12-08-2019, 10:07 PM
Paul Lehr

It looks like it’s closed.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:42 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
a modern card that can literally be "created" at any time
What do you mean by that?
Old 12-09-2019, 11:49 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I would bet he means that they create a cool-looking modern card of a popular superstar player, and intentionally release very few copies of the card into circulation. Thus, the perception that it’s rare, desirable, and ultimately very expensive.

A contrived or “intentionally created” rarity as opposed to something vintage that organically became rare over the years (and wasn’t purposely manufactured with that intention).

Please correct me if I misinterpreted it.

Last edited by perezfan; 12-09-2019 at 11:51 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:09 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
I would bet he means that they create a cool-looking modern card of a popular superstar player, and intentionally release very few copies of the card into circulation. Thus, the perception that it’s rare, desirable, and ultimately very expensive.

A contrived or “intentionally created” rarity as opposed to something vintage that organically became rare over the years (and wasn’t purposely manufactured with that intention).

Please correct me if I misinterpreted it.
Additionally what I meant... Was that there are tens of thousands of Derek Jeter rookie cards out there mostly in near mint condition...The card doctors can and will create more PSA/sgc tens as the years go by.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Additionally what I meant... Was that there are tens of thousands of Derek Jeter rookie cards out there mostly in near mint condition...The card doctors can and will create more PSA/sgc tens as the years go by.
At least one of the PSA 10s that sold for ~100k was outed by BODA as altered/trimmed.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:30 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
At least one of the PSA 10s that sold for ~100k was outed by BODA as altered/trimmed.
PWCC and PSA giveth, BODA taketh away.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.