NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-27-2019, 09:30 PM
Shane

Default Who is this old time Red Sox player?

I was in Red Robin near Nashville tonight and this picture is hanging on the wall. It is driving me crazy trying to figure out who this is. I thought it looked like Sam Crawford but he played for the Tigers.

Who is this?

Old 11-27-2019, 10:03 PM
Jeff

Looks a lot like Ernie Shore to me.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 11-27-2019, 10:04 PM
David Linardy

Default Durch leonard

Dutch
Old 11-27-2019, 10:43 PM
Steve

Default Dutch +1

Yeah.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dutch.jpg (33.8 KB, 199 views)
Old 11-27-2019, 11:03 PM
Shane

Oh, ok. I have actually heard of him. Thanks.
Old 11-28-2019, 02:28 AM
Steve

Default Dutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankhardy View Post
Oh, ok. I have actually heard of him. Thanks.

Maybe you wondered why a restaurant in Nashville hung a picture of Leonard? Beats me, but don't think it would have anything to do with him pitching the Red Sox to a win in game four of the 1916 World Series against...the Brooklyn Robins! He also became a millionaire after his playing days by going into the wine and fruit growing business in California.
Old 11-28-2019, 08:32 AM
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volod View Post
Maybe you wondered why a restaurant in Nashville hung a picture of Leonard? Beats me, but don't think it would have anything to do with him pitching the Red Sox to a win in game four of the 1916 World Series against...the Brooklyn Robins! He also became a millionaire after his playing days by going into the wine and fruit growing business in California.
Now that is an interesting coincidence about pitching against the Brooklyn Robins and the picture was hanging in a Red Robin restaurant. By the way Red Robin has some very good burgers.

I actually did know about his success after his playing days. I just got finished listening to an audiobook for a second time about Ty Cobb called A Terrible Beauty. Dutch Leonard had a couple of confrontations with Cobb over the years. This is a tremendous book trying to set the record straight about how Ty Cobb was not as much of a monster as people make him out to be.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:34 PM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankhardy View Post
Now that is an interesting coincidence about pitching against the Brooklyn Robins and the picture was hanging in a Red Robin restaurant. By the way Red Robin has some very good burgers.

I actually did know about his success after his playing days. I just got finished listening to an audiobook for a second time about Ty Cobb called A Terrible Beauty. Dutch Leonard had a couple of confrontations with Cobb over the years. This is a tremendous book trying to set the record straight about how Ty Cobb was not as much of a monster as people make him out to be.

Right, I've heard that about Red Robin, but unfortunately for me, no franchises in my area. Also have heard about the Leonard and Cobb animosity. I may check out that audiobook, since my eyes don't let me read much anymore. Thanks.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:49 AM
Shane

I highly recommend it. If you listen to it I would be interested to know what you think. Cobb has become my favorite older player. I find him fascinating. I just wish I could afford some of his cards.
Old 11-29-2019, 02:57 PM
Curt

Red Robin used to decorate pretty similar across the locations, at least in my area. They always seemed to have a baseball card shot, usually T cards. They started up in Seattle back in 1969.

We used to love the place, but it seemed to go downhill fast as they expanded (not unusual). It got to the point where the local regular spots just became terrible, service wise. The last time we went was on my son's birthday, as it used to be a birthday favorite. They were understaffed, as usual, fairly busy and we were neglected. They traditionally brought out a birthday dessert and sing, but we mentioned the birthday twice and that never happened. We finally got tired of waiting and left. I vowed to never eat there again, at least not on my dime.

For the price, eat elsewhere!

Oh, forgot to mention the follow-up part. I complained on their website about the terrible service after our last visit, understaffing and general poor experience at what used to be a favorite place of ours. I got the standard corporate "we are sorry" reply and an offer of a $15 gift card. I was not angling for anything free per se, more wanted to express my disappointment with the experience in hopes that they'd try to fix it perhaps (HA, good one, right!). The gift card never arrived and after mentioning that several times to the CSR that "helped" me, they finally stopped responding. It wasn't even the gift card, it was the lack of follow up on a complaint by that point. I could not have cared less about the gift card by that point. Absolute TERRIBLE service all around. As I said, I will never eat there again. They lost a longtime local customer who had been to probably a dozen different locations if not more, over being cheap asses!

In all fairness, before the prices surpassed the quality, they did make a decent burger. The bottomless fries were nice and their ranch dressing was the best. It was there that I tried my first ever egg on a burger too, the "Royal".

Last edited by mrmopar; 11-29-2019 at 03:08 PM.
Old 11-30-2019, 05:10 PM
Shane

The Red Robin near Nashville had really good service. Sounds like you got the runaround. We have been to this one probably three times and it's been great every time.