NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-06-2019, 02:08 PM
Tony

Default NEED HELP.......Crossover Question

So I have at least 50+; $500+ cards that were graded personally Mike Baker during the early days of GAI. I know for a fact because I watched him do it, during the National in Cleveland in the early 00's. As I'm going thru my stuff, I realize they won't sell at their in GAI slabs for what their worth. PSA is in town this weekend at Valley Forge and I prefer to drop them off.

Questions:
1} Am I wasting my money {probably about $1k}
2] What % will cross assuming PSA will cross them? although I have heard horror stories about crossing GAI stuff.
3} SGC is in town too, am I better off giving it to them?

answers appreciated, as I can really use some advice on this and don't want to ship approx 25K in cards. I've never had them reviewed.

Last edited by cardsnstuff; 12-06-2019 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:27 PM
Martin
Martin L.ee

If SGC and PSA are onsite I would talk to a rep on both sides and ask them directly. Giving them details of who graded them prior wouldnt hurt to mention. I would personally go with PSA.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:29 PM
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goudey77 View Post
If SGC and PSA are onsite I would talk to a rep on both sides and ask them directly. Giving them details of who graded them prior wouldnt hurt to mention. I would personally go with PSA.
PSA is not doing onsite; {don't know about SGC is or not} they would bring them with them to CAl. I don't know if there reps would even know who he is.

If need be I can wait until the NAt'l in AC, this year, but it will probably cost me significantly more at the nat'l

Last edited by cardsnstuff; 12-06-2019 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:48 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Maybe just crack them out yourself, and sell them raw, via Greg Morris.

You won't have to worry or stress over PSA's ridiculous fees, transporting the cards to California, their built-in crossover bias, the long waiting times, and/or PSA's general incompetence.

That's what I'd do... Greg Morris (raw)

Best of luck!
Old 12-06-2019, 03:32 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

Baker was a very capable grader, but more lenient on small surface wrinkles, slight back damage and corner wear. And standards are much tighter today so I wouldn't expect an equal cross on most even if you were to get an unbiased evaluation.

My experience tells me that SGC has been more "fair" on judging GAI cards for their own merit. While PSA seems to see the holder and not the card. I don't know if this is still true because it's probably been 10+ years since my last experience. But I thought I'd share why opinion for what it's worth.

if you want to go with PSA submit them raw. If you want to leave them in the holder, send them to SGC.

If you're looking to sell, you're better off having your cards in PSA/SGC holders even at a lower grade.

Good luck!
Old 12-06-2019, 03:46 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

If you really want them in PSA holders, your best bet is to set the minimum grade at 1 point below what they are currently. If you set a GAI 7 with a min grade of PSA 7, most of them will likely get sent back in GAI holders. If they'll be worth more as a PSA 6 or above, then set the min grade to whatever your break even point is.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:07 PM
Tony

Thanks for the answers; I'll probably stop by at SGC and see what they say, I'm probably going to leave them in the holder, for now. Many are high grade, 8's, 9's and a few 10's. So, I guess I have some homework; I need to see market value for an PSA 8 as compared to SGC 9 etc. If they don't cross, I guess I'll make another decision come NAt'l time.

Last edited by cardsnstuff; 12-06-2019 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:14 PM
Martin
Martin L.ee

As mentioned before by Perez make sure to scrutinize the surface on your high grade GAI examples. SGC and PSA will both knock considerable points off the grade for surface scuffs, indentations, wrinkles that gAI may have let slip by.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:33 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Only thing I would add is with 50+, $500 cards, whatever route you take, you may want to consider breaking it into multiple smaller groups just in case you get a grader having a bad day and also just to get a sampling of how either PSA/SGC handles them. If you submit 10 and the results are not what you expect that is going to hurt a lot less than submitting 50 with same results.
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 12-06-2019, 04:36 PM
Tony

Quote:
As mentioned before by Perez make sure to scrutinize the surface on your high grade GAI examples. SGC and PSA will both knock considerable points off the grade for surface scuffs, indentations, wrinkles that gAI may have let slip by.
will do and x2d, good advice and a good idea. thx
Old 12-06-2019, 04:39 PM
Martin
Martin L.ee

True ☝️ If a grader goes on a roll of example..evid of trimming suspicions the entire sub could be at jeopardy. It’s happened before to us regular guys not named Gary
Old 12-06-2019, 04:45 PM
Bob Davies

How about this. You put them up for sale on eBay and sell them. Some buyers will keep some and others will crack them out.
The ones that come back cracked out of the slab demanding a refund, send them into SGC.
Saves you the trouble of cracking them.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:32 PM
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
How about this. You put them up for sale on eBay and sell them. Some buyers will keep some and others will crack them out.
The ones that come back cracked out of the slab demanding a refund, send them into SGC.
Saves you the trouble of cracking them.

{HA, HA} The only downside is I get no where near near market value, or nearly as many views compared to my psa stuff, most of the higher end ones I have held back, some I did list to test the waters and some eventually sold near my asking price {with no complaints}. I know about a year and half ago I listed a bunch but {committed a felony by keyword spamming, to try and get more eyes on them} ebay cancelled them, and those haven't been listed since. I do recall putting some at auction with a starting bid of approx 2 grades below, if I recall some sold, many got no bid.

Last edited by cardsnstuff; 12-06-2019 at 05:41 PM.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:59 PM
Martin
Martin L.ee

How about list them for sale here on Net54 as is?
If the Net54 members understand the provenance of these GAI slabs they might purchase at your asking price.
There are a lot of benefits to selling on the BST (Net54) vs ebay listings. For both buyer and seller.

Sounds like an over whelming decision because the number of cards, grading fees and time.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:24 PM
Tony

Quote:
How about list them for sale here on Net54 as is?
If the Net54 members understand the provenance of these GAI slabs they might purchase at your asking price.
There are a lot of benefits to selling on the BST (Net54) vs ebay listings. For both buyer and seller.

Sounds like an over whelming decision because the number of cards, grading fees and time.
I actually going to try and post some stuff here, other people have suggested it too. I've been kinda busy the last few weeks, but soon. I have some PSA high end stuff I want to try as well. I am just leery, because of the scams I read about, but I guess as long as I follow paypal's rules{ sig conf, exact address, etc} I'm protected right? or does that not apply to forums like this, facebook, etc?

I have 100% ebay feedback, but never sold here, do you think that hurts me?

As far as the original question, I may try sgc first though. thx for the help.

Last edited by cardsnstuff; 12-06-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:41 PM
Tony

Quote:
True ☝️ If a grader goes on a roll of example..evid of trimming suspicions the entire sub could be at jeopardy. It’s happened before to us regular guys not named Gary
I get it, actually, something similar happened to me once, 15/30 cards came back auth altered; when I only wanted 1 card that way, because it really measured short,. I cracked and re-subbed others and they either came back with a grade or n/c min zero. But I usually don't play that game it's to costly for me.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:02 AM
Lonnie Nagel

BST on Net 54 generally works by the Buyer sending Paypal payment (or other form of payment) 1st. Once payment is received the Seller ships cards and forwards a tracking number to Buyer.

All of my purchase deals (and I have done many) on Net 54 - I have sent payment via Paypal Friends & Family (no recourse). Somewhat risky I suppose but I don't recall very many (if any) deals that have went bad here on the boards. Normally if you get a bad Seller or Buyer they are quickly out'ed and/or booted.

Pretty much everyone here has been here for a long time and there is a level of trust among members that you wont find anywhere else.

Just my 2 cents
Old 12-07-2019, 10:05 AM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsnstuff View Post
So I have at least 50+; $500+ cards that were graded personally Mike Baker during the early days of GAI. I know for a fact because I watched him do it, during the National in Cleveland in the early 00's. As I'm going thru my stuff, I realize they won't sell at their in GAI slabs for what their worth. PSA is in town this weekend at Valley Forge and I prefer to drop them off.

Questions:
1} Am I wasting my money {probably about $1k}
2] What % will cross assuming PSA will cross them? although I have heard horror stories about crossing GAI stuff.
3} SGC is in town too, am I better off giving it to them?

answers appreciated, as I can really use some advice on this and don't want to ship approx 25K in cards. I've never had them reviewed.
Tony,

What's the objective? Are you planning to sell the cards? If so, then you're assumption of not getting total value on the cards is probably a good assumption and you'd be better off getting them sent to PSA or SGC. If they're accepting submissions on a walk-in basis at a show, that's probably the smartest way to go because you not only save on shipping, but you'll have peace of mind by not having to worry that they'll make it to the TPG.

If you plan on keeping the cards then why bother with getting them put into different slabs. They're protected already.

If you only plan on selling certain cards then do a walk-in submission for those cards.

GAI was a decent TPG but something happened along the way and they were assigning numeric grades to altered cards (not that it never happens with the other reputable TPGs - it just seemed to occur more with GAI after they were around for a while).

If the cards are newer, then I'd go with PSA, if they're vintage, the either SGC or PSA, however a lot of people are of the opinion that PSA gets higher prices. To me it doesn't matter because I don't bid on the grading company or grade.
Old 12-07-2019, 01:55 PM
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo_mudhen View Post
BST on Net 54 generally works by the Buyer sending Paypal payment (or other form of payment) 1st. Once payment is received the Seller ships cards and forwards a tracking number to Buyer.

All of my purchase deals (and I have done many) on Net 54 - I have sent payment via Paypal Friends & Family (no recourse). Somewhat risky I suppose but I don't recall very many (if any) deals that have went bad here on the boards. Normally if you get a bad Seller or Buyer they are quickly out'ed and/or booted.

Pretty much everyone here has been here for a long time and there is a level of trust among members that you wont find anywhere else.

Just my 2 cents
thanks
Old 12-07-2019, 01:56 PM
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Tony,

What's the objective? Are you planning to sell the cards? If so, then you're assumption of not getting total value on the cards is probably a good assumption and you'd be better off getting them sent to PSA or SGC. If they're accepting submissions on a walk-in basis at a show, that's probably the smartest way to go because you not only save on shipping, but you'll have peace of mind by not having to worry that they'll make it to the TPG.

If you plan on keeping the cards then why bother with getting them put into different slabs. They're protected already.

If you only plan on selling certain cards then do a walk-in submission for those cards.

GAI was a decent TPG but something happened along the way and they were assigning numeric grades to altered cards (not that it never happens with the other reputable TPGs - it just seemed to occur more with GAI after they were around for a while).

If the cards are newer, then I'd go with PSA, if they're vintage, the either SGC or PSA, however a lot of people are of the opinion that PSA gets higher prices. To me it doesn't matter because I don't bid on the grading company or grade.
I may keep some, but many are going for sale.
Old 12-07-2019, 03:49 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Try selling some on the BST! I have used with many members and though a little leery at first being new at the time. I used PP G&S the first time (covered the fee) with a seller and then FF afterwards...

The BST is pretty darn good at policing itself I must say...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:44 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default always be careful in the BST sections

Because it is rather safe, I should mention, it is still caveat emptor (buyer beware) in our BST sections. There are no safeguards other than regular law enforcement. Make sure your trading partner is well vetted and have fun. Any member can always PM me or another moderator to try to help.

As to the original question of crossing over, I will let others opine.

Last edited by Leon; 12-11-2019 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:14 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

I know GAI back in the early days used to print on the holder "first graded" if that was the case, which seemed to give the card more credibility and buyer confidence that Mike Baker was the grader. If you have any of those, I am sure they would sell easily on a stand alone basis. \
From a selfish standpoint, I would love to see them, as somebody mentioned, on the B/S/T. Sure there would be a lot of interest and spirited action.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:47 PM
Joe Hunter

Default GAI Cards

About 5 years ago I sent several Mike Baker GAI graded cards to PSA for cross-over. I cracked them out of their GAI cases before sending them in. Most came back with the same grade, with a couple a grade lower and a couple a grade higher. Don't know if those percentages would hold up today, but I do believe Mike was a pretty accurate grader.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:29 PM
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
I know GAI back in the early days used to print on the holder "first graded" if that was the case, which seemed to give the card more credibility and buyer confidence that Mike Baker was the grader. If you have any of those, I am sure they would sell easily on a stand alone basis. \
From a selfish standpoint, I would love to see them, as somebody mentioned, on the B/S/T. Sure there would be a lot of interest and spirited action.
everyone of them is "first graded", FWIW; I am working on a spreadsheet as we speak with links to images and will be posting soon.

Last edited by cardsnstuff; 12-11-2019 at 02:32 PM.