NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 01-01-2023, 07:04 AM
Ken

Default When PSA says only trading card how do you know the autographed card is genuine

I have been buying some autographed rookie cards authenticated by PSA. In some cases, it indicates the year and number of the card, but in many it just says "trading card". Sometimes I will see these trading card designations treated as reprints by the sellers. More often not. In many cases, there is nothing about the card itself that indicates it is a reprint (at least to me), though some are labelled as such by the manufacturer.

My guess is that unless PSA is paid extra to say something about the card, they do not and "trading card" does not automatically mean reprint.

But if I am right, how do you tell which is the rookie card and which is a reprint?

Any tips appreciated and happy New Year to all.

Ken
Old 01-01-2023, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydewally View Post

But if I am right, how do you tell which is the rookie card and which is a reprint?

Frankly, you're going to have to do what we all did before so many people stopped caring to learn on their own, instead choosing to blindly follow whatever opinion a TPA issued: do your own research. If you don't feel you possess that knowledge, confer with those whom you trust. If that's not an option or you still don't feel comfortable, simply do not buy the item(s) in question.

One major eBay seller sold a couple of autographed reprint Pete Rose RCs. Of course, they decided to list them as "1963 Topps". They were PSA slabbed as "Trading Card"--no mention of reprint, yet that is obviously exactly what they were. They were listed as auctions, and people ignorantly bought into it. They sold for four figures. While it was definitely wrong of the seller to list in such a way in the first place, I have a difficult time feeling bad for buyers who spend that kind of money without possessing an iota of knowledge. Know a little bit about what you're getting into before throwing that kind of money around.
Old 01-01-2023, 09:30 AM
Will.i.@m $t@dy

I think at some point PSA realized that using “trading card” for both fake and real cards was a mistake and I think they now try and put Reprint Card when that’s the case. But obviously both are out there and like was said above, you have to learn to spot the differences the best you can. At least ask the seller so you have a record of what they represent it as.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want a card, you might not get a deal. If you want a deal, you might not get a card.
Old 01-01-2023, 09:53 AM
jim qu.inlisk

I always get "trading card" when I send cards in on a group sub. They don't look at the cards at all, only the sig. I sent a reprint in on a regular order and it came back "reprint card".
Old 01-01-2023, 10:16 AM
qu@n nguy3n

psa/dna has gone through a few iterations with these signed flips. the original blue flip had the year/card designation. i believe these cards had a cursory look just to double check on the year/issue to match the order, but certainly it wasn't guaranteed. you would see some valuable cards in these slabs because back then they weren't as valuable!

then they went to the blue "trading card" flip where it was actually written only the signature goes through the authentication process and not the card. here you start to see less of the more valuable/older rookies, and more of the post-1990 mass-produced rookies.

then to keep everything uniformed, psa/dna adopted the red "trading card" flip to match with the red psa style a couple years ago. with these flips you should not see any card of value ($100+?).
Old 01-01-2023, 10:20 AM

I have signed 1954 Bowman cards that I’d love slabbed but not if they say trading card. I think you have to pay double for them to grade and state the card itself and authenticate and grade the auto.
Old 01-01-2023, 10:59 AM
Ken

Thanks all
Old 01-01-2023, 02:39 PM

I also thought there was a period of time where PSA would only reference the specific make and model of the autographed card on "pack issued/certified" autos. anything that you got signed yourself got the "trading card" designation

I open a pack of 2022 topps and get a regular Trout and get him to sign it..they slab it as "trading card"

I open a pack and get a "topps certified" on-card auto of Trout, they slab it as a 2022 Topps Mike Trout auto and assign a grade to the auto

or maybe not
Old 01-01-2023, 06:10 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

There are many different ways to submit in-person or through-the-mail autographed cards to PSA, and they've changed over time.

Currently you can submit them as auto authentication only, and raiderguy10 is running his annual bulk special for TRADING CARD flips at only $13 a card on both blowout and PSA/CU boards.

Or you can pay like $36 a card to have the card and auto authenticated and graded, where they will put the name of the card on the flip. This is true of the 2022 Mike Trout example you mention. It will show up on the PSA/DNA tab of the pop report for that set, not the regular card grade tab. Most IP/TTM cards are not worth paying this much to be graded/authenticated, so people go for the much cheaper auto-only fee.

If the card says TRADING CARD, you're correct, it could be either real or fake. If they catch that it's a counterfeit, they'll list it as reprint. But hey, PSA has graded hundreds/thousands of counterfeit cards as authentic over the years, so take any assessment with a grain of salt. In this case, it's up to you to determine whether or not the card is real by inspection. It used to be relatively cheap to take TRADING CARD flips and send them to PSA and for only $10 (on cards worth $99 or less), PSA used to authenticate and grade the card.

If the card is in a RED FLIP with the card info, then it went through both the card grading and auto grading process.

Also, depending on whether or not you are trying to load them into various set registries, sometimes the card needs to be graded and sometimes the auto needs to be graded. A card with an IP/TTM auto that has been PSA/DNA authentication cannot be used for a non-auto registry set, either.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 01-02-2023, 06:17 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
There are many different ways to submit in-person or through-the-mail autographed cards to PSA, and they've changed over time.

Currently you can submit them as auto authentication only, and raiderguy10 is running his annual bulk special for TRADING CARD flips at only $13 a card on both blowout and PSA/CU boards.

Or you can pay like $36 a card to have the card and auto authenticated and graded, where they will put the name of the card on the flip. This is true of the 2022 Mike Trout example you mention. It will show up on the PSA/DNA tab of the pop report for that set, not the regular card grade tab. Most IP/TTM cards are not worth paying this much to be graded/authenticated, so people go for the much cheaper auto-only fee.

If the card says TRADING CARD, you're correct, it could be either real or fake. If they catch that it's a counterfeit, they'll list it as reprint. But hey, PSA has graded hundreds/thousands of counterfeit cards as authentic over the years, so take any assessment with a grain of salt. In this case, it's up to you to determine whether or not the card is real by inspection. It used to be relatively cheap to take TRADING CARD flips and send them to PSA and for only $10 (on cards worth $99 or less), PSA used to authenticate and grade the card.

If the card is in a RED FLIP with the card info, then it went through both the card grading and auto grading process.

Also, depending on whether or not you are trying to load them into various set registries, sometimes the card needs to be graded and sometimes the auto needs to be graded. A card with an IP/TTM auto that has been PSA/DNA authentication cannot be used for a non-auto registry set, either.
Hey John, do you have a link to the group auto sub info on Blowout? I have some things I'd consider sending off at that price.
Thank you!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 01-03-2023, 04:15 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1540455
Not sure if he's still accepting for this year or not, but it's still in the "new breaks" section. He seems to run it every winter.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.