NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-05-2018, 10:49 AM

Default high quality scans how to question

what does everyone use here for uploading high quality scans, I tried flicker using IMG tag but it would not show. How do you host your pics and what software do you use?

Thank you
Old 11-05-2018, 11:48 AM
Steve

Imgur is what I use. you can select the size you want and it makes the tagged link ready, all you need to do is copy and paste onto the forum.

example.....

here is what the menu looks like. select the size at the bottom, and it adjusts the BB code link automatically. just copy and paste....

Last edited by dictoresno; 11-05-2018 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:54 AM

Thank you
Old 11-05-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dictoresno View Post
Imgur is what I use. you can select the size you want and it makes the tagged link ready, all you need to do is copy and paste onto the forum.

example.....

here is what the menu looks like. select the size at the bottom, and it adjusts the BB code link automatically. just copy and paste....

what software are you using to scan?
Old 11-05-2018, 01:09 PM
James
James Kin.chen

I don't use a hosting site. Images are uploaded directly from my computer.
James
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1968ToppsF&BRobinsonPSA10-1.jpg (78.1 KB, 277 views)
Old 11-05-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkheat View Post
James
I tried that but this site would not upload, kept erroring out, possibly to large of a file
Old 11-05-2018, 01:30 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

I continue to use flickr. The biggest drawback is that you need to clean the image tag up a bit as they add additional stuff (link to the photo and flickr website). Still it's is nice to be able to resize the image based on just changing the last letter of the url rather.

Uploading an attachment directly works great if the scanned image is small enough (I think it's around 1.5mb or so). Personally, I usually make my scans pretty large and then resize down if I ever need a smaller image.

E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 11-05-2018, 04:30 PM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddk1 View Post
what software are you using to scan?
I use my regular canon all in one scanner and its software. the scan pictured above was by done by the seller of the card when I bought it, they used a much higher end scanner. you need a newer CCD scanner (higher end epson) to capture depth of cards in slabs as opposed to the cheaper CIS scanners (most all-in-ones) that will make cards appear blurry in slabs that aren't flat on the scanner bed. if you want to take nicer scans of your slabbed cards, most people go for an Epson V600 scanner.

here is what my cheaper all in one scanner looks like when I scan a slabbed card. notice its blurrier since it can't focus on the card as well since it sits above the platen. my cheaper all in one on the left, the better CCD scanner on the right.

Last edited by dictoresno; 11-05-2018 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:40 PM
Bry@n

I use Flickr for my images. I scan in PNG at 300 dpi for a nicer image, and put those on Flickr. I also save a second copy as a jpg where I set the quality to 6-9 (out of 12) as the jpg compresses the image and then lowering the quality does more. That gives a nice, large, clear image to post here as that jpg will be under 1 mb.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:59 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkheat View Post
James
Same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddk1 View Post
I tried that but this site would not upload, kept erroring out, possibly to large of a file
Usually if you "right" click on your photos there is an edit available. Try a few sizes smaller until you find the size that works. Sometimes it takes multiple edits, depending on the size of your pics, before you get it right.
(My flickR link and net54 link below)

Last edited by irv; 11-06-2018 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:57 AM
Bry@n

Another thing to keep in mind for future net54 use, if you post cards by linking to them rather than actially uploading a picture, as soon as you change that link, take the card down from you image host, etc, the photo on net54 will no longer work. (At least I think this is why old threads are so full of missing photos.) So, as someone who likes to do research by reading old threads, I am always in favor of actual photo uploads to net54 so that threads will remain useful.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:10 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Phone Pics are almost always too large

When pictures/scans won't load to our system 99% of the time they are too large. Pictures from phones are several Megabytes usually. That is way, way too large to upload to our system. If they are made smaller they work fine. I usually upload them from My Documents picture folder from my pc. That way, as mentioned, they can be opened in MS paint and downsized or rotated as need be. We have limited the size scans/photos our system accepts (to downsize) on purpose. I recommend a flat bed scanner for images...These guys are arguing about something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
Another thing to keep in mind for future net54 use, if you post cards by linking to them rather than actially uploading a picture, as soon as you change that link, take the card down from you image host, etc, the photo on net54 will no longer work. (At least I think this is why old threads are so full of missing photos.) So, as someone who likes to do research by reading old threads, I am always in favor of actual photo uploads to net54 so that threads will remain useful.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:35 AM
Lonnie Nagel

BTW - On Flickr - You have to scroll down and make the image "public" or the link will not work when posted. Scratched my head for quite a while on this one
Old 11-12-2018, 07:15 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I agree that uploading from the forum is best when possible. Almost daily I see members having issues posting from phones, ipads or iphones. Those images are almost always too big and need to be downsized first. Happy collecting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
Old 11-12-2018, 11:43 AM
Steve

I find imgur is the best of all hosting companies, that's what I use.