NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-24-2012, 12:53 PM
Todd

Default Question about "Shot Heard around the World" original photo

Hey all,

I just have a couple of questions. My grandfather was a photographer and snapped the shot of Bobby Thomson's famous home run in 1951. It's the photo of him swinging and the ball heading towards the stands (many prints have the dotted line that show the track of the ball.) My grandfather and his photo was featured in a Joshua Prager book.

We have a family member that has hit some tough times, including some difficult medical problems - so they are thinking it may be time to get some help.

What is believed to be the original photo as well as the negatives of that photo, are in the family. What would something like that be valued at? What auction houses do you feel would be interested or the best to handle something like this?

I've attached the photo (not the original but one from the internet - just so you know which photo I'm discussing.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Todd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thomson.jpg (16.5 KB, 221 views)
Old 10-24-2012, 05:34 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

Cha Ching! REA all the way.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:59 PM

Wow, really cool. I'm not sure you would want to go the eBay route with something so special but Henry Yee is a well known photo dealer and would probably get that photo a lot of looks. His stuff does really well on eBay.

Last edited by packs; 10-24-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:35 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

I agree: REA
Old 10-24-2012, 08:31 PM
Jake

For comparison this Joe Jackson photo sold for over 30,000 and I believe yours is much more desirable.

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/...n/2012/10.html
Old 10-25-2012, 02:55 AM
J0n Fu.ld

With this item, and at this time, Robert Edward Auctions (REA) is 100% where I would go with this item. Talk to Rob. Make sure your reserve is at a price that you would feel comfortable selling. Of course whether copyrights are coming along with the piece will come up. There are major baseball photo archivists and collectors such as John Rogers who I believe would love the highest resolution of this image, and they are bidding in REA. As a side note, I believe Bobby Thomson was a neighbor of Rob's in New Jersey.

Last edited by BigJJ; 10-25-2012 at 02:59 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:39 AM
Todd

Thanks for the advice, guys. I was thinking REA, originally, when my father said him and his brother were thinking of selling. They're going to have to really think about this - and if this is what they really want/need to do. If they decide to sell, I will certainly have them contact Rob (or if they want me to.)

Thanks again!

Todd