NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-30-2014, 12:34 AM
Bill Gregory

Default OT..maybe. Unclaimed money

Hey guys, just wanted to bring this to everybody's attention. I think I mentioned this in another thread, or the in chat discussion during the closing night of REA's auction. But, since it could conceivably benefit some of my favorite people, my fellow Net 54 members, I thought I'd share this with you all. Please indulge me, Leon. I know this is off topic, but this is the place it will be seen by the most people, and who knows, a few baseball card purchases might just result from it, making it very much on topic.

I received a letter in the mail last fall from a company in California notifying me that they'd found some money that I was owed. The company name is not important. I am always leery about being scammed (something ingrained in me after going through my stock broker licensing and training), so I rolled my eyes, and jumped online. I did a search on the company name, and it turns out that they were legit. They make their money by pointing out money that is being held by the different state comptrollers for various reasons. They have researchers that identify where the people owed the money currently live. Pretty simple, really. Similar to the skip tracing I did when I was employed by Daimler Chrysler. It's pretty easy money for them-they get 10% if you agree to use their service, and the money is paid out to you. Now, obviously, you don't have to use their service. You are free to decline, and do the research yourself. The initial letter gives you the name of the company, and from which state the money is owed. But, since I figured I would have never even known about the money, I had no problem paying the 10% fee.

The form showed that the money was owed to a Gregory Williams. Similar to my name (inverted, and Williams instead of William), but the date and apartment # were close enough that I figured, what the hell, it might be me. I went to Google, and searched for unclaimed money in Texas. That brought up the State of Texas Comptroller. I went to their site, selected 'search for unclaimed property', and entered the name as listed. There it was. The site showed that this person was owed $780, which by my recollection, was my monthly rent at the time. So, I printed out the paperwork for my claim. I searched the site by my correct name, and found two other listings under my name, with my middle initial, at addresses I have lived at. $25 from the University of North Texas (I'm guessing an over-payment of fees), and a $140 refund from an imaging center where I had an MRI done on my back. I guess I'd reached my max out of pocket on my health insurance, so I got a little bit back. Ok, so, I printed out a form to claim that money, too. I knew that $165 was going to be mine, and I took a shot on the $780. I mailed the completed forms along with a letter explaining that I had lived at the complex during the time cited, and that I wasn't sure if the money was mine or not, asking the state to determine that. Well, three days ago, I got two envelopes in the mail from the state of Texas. Inside were two checks. They'd verified that the over-payment was due to me by contacting the company, and matching my social security #. So, I ended up getting $867 that I never knew existed. And after receiving the letter initially, I also searched for both of my parents. I found $650 for my dad in Texas, and another $200 in Illinois. All in all, I found about $1,717 for my family after paying the $78 fee.

So, I'm hoping that some of you fine folks will follow my example. Just check your state comptroller website, and hopefully, you'll find some money that is owed to you. Google your state, and unclaimed property, or state comptroller, and you should find the database you can search.

I hope you all find lots of money. Good luck!!!

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:59 AM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Hey guys, just wanted to bring this to everybody's attention. I think I mentioned this in another thread, or the in chat discussion during the closing night of REA's auction. But, since it could conceivably benefit some of my favorite people, my fellow Net 54 members, I thought I'd share this with you all. Please indulge me, Leon. I know this is off topic, but this is the place it will be seen by the most people, and who knows, a few baseball card purchases might just result from it, making it very much on topic.

I received a letter in the mail last fall from a company in California notifying me that they'd found some money that I was owed. The company name is not important. I am always leery about being scammed (something ingrained in me after going through my stock broker licensing and training), so I rolled my eyes, and jumped online. I did a search on the company name, and it turns out that they were legit. They make their money by pointing out money that is being held by the different state comptrollers for various reasons. They have researchers that identify where the people owed the money currently live. Pretty simple, really. Similar to the skip tracing I did when I was employed by Daimler Chrysler. It's pretty easy money for them-they get 10% if you agree to use their service, and the money is paid out to you. Now, obviously, you don't have to use their service. You are free to decline, and do the research yourself. The initial letter gives you the name of the company, and from which state the money is owed. But, since I figured I would have never even known about the money, I had no problem paying the 10% fee.

The form showed that the money was owed to a Gregory Williams. Similar to my name (inverted, and Williams instead of William), but the date and apartment # were close enough that I figured, what the hell, it might be me. I went to Google, and searched for unclaimed money in Texas. That brought up the State of Texas Comptroller. I went to their site, selected 'search for unclaimed property', and entered the name as listed. There it was. The site showed that this person was owed $780, which by my recollection, was my monthly rent at the time. So, I printed out the paperwork for my claim. I searched the site by my correct name, and found two other listings under my name, with my middle initial, at addresses I have lived at. $25 from the University of North Texas (I'm guessing an over-payment of fees), and a $140 refund from an imaging center where I had an MRI done on my back. I guess I'd reached my max out of pocket on my health insurance, so I got a little bit back. Ok, so, I printed out a form to claim that money, too. I knew that $165 was going to be mine, and I took a shot on the $780. I mailed the completed forms along with a letter explaining that I had lived at the complex during the time cited, and that I wasn't sure if the money was mine or not, asking the state to determine that. Well, three days ago, I got two envelopes in the mail from the state of Texas. Inside were two checks. They'd verified that the over-payment was due to me by contacting the company, and matching my social security #. So, I ended up getting $867 that I never knew existed. And after receiving the letter initially, I also searched for both of my parents. I found $650 for my dad in Texas, and another $200 in Illinois. All in all, I found about $1,717 for my family after paying the $78 fee.

So, I'm hoping that some of you fine folks will follow my example. Just check your state comptroller website, and hopefully, you'll find some money that is owed to you. Google your state, and unclaimed property, or state comptroller, and you should find the database you can search.

I hope you all find lots of money. Good luck!!!
After my mother-in-law passed away (Gee, Is it really ten years ago already?), my brother-in-law became the executor of her estate. He was a nice guy who didn't have a clue about such things and dropped the ball on a couple fronts. After he passed three years later, his girl friend gave my wife some paperwork, regarding her mom, that had been ignored. Included was a statement regarding a few shares of stock that she had received as part of an insurance company settlement of sorts. Sure enough, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts was holding the shares somehow or another. We went to their website, searched under my mother-in-law's name and wound up (after jumping through a few hoops) with $1400 from the shares and another $135 from a un-cashed rebate check from Mass Electric. If there is money owed, it can be retrieved. Also, we played the game without a go-between company so we paid no fee.

Last edited by Bocabirdman; 04-30-2014 at 05:21 AM.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:39 AM
Bill Gregory

It's great you were able to find the money she was due, Mike, and sans a fee to boot. I'd be thrilled if even a few of our forum members were able to share such stories a month or two from now. Ultimately, though, if this at all helps somebody going through a rough patch, or brings a little joy to one of the people that makes this forum so special, then I'll be very happy.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:54 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Hey, Bill. Here is the website I use in Texas. I don't know if it's the same one you use.

https://mycpa.cpa.state.tx.us/up/search.do

I've found my wife money, her parents money, my brother money, many others money, but I can never find myself any money

My wife and brother had money from an old utility deposit that was never refunded. My wife's parents had money from an old bank account they forgot about.

The money is out there and people just don't know it. I'm just not sure why you had to pay a $78 fee. The site and service was provided free to everyone that I helped recover money.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:52 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Hey, Bill. Here is the website I use in Texas. I don't know if it's the same one you use.

https://mycpa.cpa.state.tx.us/up/search.do

I've found my wife money, her parents money, my brother money, many others money, but I can never find myself any money

My wife and brother had money from an old utility deposit that was never refunded. My wife's parents had money from an old bank account they forgot about.

The money is out there and people just don't know it. I'm just not sure why you had to pay a $78 fee. The site and service was provided free to everyone that I helped recover money.
David, yes, that's the same page I use. That redirects from this page: http://www.window.state.tx.us/

I had never heard of unclaimed money before. I thought (erroneously) that if somebody owed me money, they would just send it to me. But when you factor in moving from one state to another, or women changing their maiden name to their husband's name, etc, it stands to reason that these states don't have the resources to track everybody down.

The company in California that found this money and contacted me brought it to my attention. I found out later that I could have just done the legwork myself, but I figured that I would have never known to look at all without them, so the 10% isn't too bad I guess.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:31 PM
Belltown Vintage

Thanks, Bill - I used the Texas site to find $52 for my Dad. Nada for me.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:49 PM

You can search multiple states for free here: https://www.unclaimed.org/
Old 05-01-2014, 09:03 PM
Chris Wood

Default Thanks!

Thanks Bill!

I hadn't thought this was possible (tracking down forgotten cash) but I searched the Bank of Canada site and located $140 from a forgotten vacation savings account.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:21 PM
tony

I was contacted by a firm in England, same thing 10%. I got 6,000 English pounds! That's over $10,000. so it is out there
Old 05-01-2014, 11:43 PM
Bill Gregory

Excellent!

Old 05-02-2014, 04:31 AM
M@rk Cl@ry

Great idea! Found $110 from a great aunt but after splitting it 13 ways with my cousins, the best i could do is like my daughter go wild at an arcade!