NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-05-2005, 11:49 PM
Administrator

Default O/T: Great Night Tonight

Posted By: warshawlaw

One of the benefits of living in LA is that you see famous people all the time. Occasionally it is someone you really want to meet. My wife and I went to dinner and then to a book store to kill a little time before picking up our daughter from a birthday party. My wife is great at spotting celebrities; I am not. She tapped me at one point and pointed out a man who I was 95% sure was someone whose work I’d loved literally all my life. I kept my eye on him and when he asked a clerk for a book about Voltaire, I heard his voice. I then recognized him instantly. I wanted to ask for an autograph but I was really torn. Normally in LA we are all too cool to bother celebrities, or so we think. I usually won’t even say hello and there are relatively few people in the world who I would hit up for an autograph (Lennox Lewis was the last one and that was at a promotional event for a fight). Tonight, however, I was dying to say hello and get an autograph. We had to go and I had decided not to do it. We started to leave the store and my wife remarked that my reluctance to approach him was silly; no one else had bothered him and it was evident that no one else recognized him. So I screwed up my courage, went up to him and told him that I was a huge fan and loved his work, had seen all his movies and followed his act all my life. He shook my hand, we chatted for a few moments and I asked for his autograph. I cannot believe I met Monty Python’s Eric Idle; for me it is like meeting a Beatle. THAT was a cool night!

Old 03-06-2005, 12:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

Pretty cool. The only celebs I've met out in public was Tatoo from Fantasy Island. He was in a Scottsdale 7-11 buying some Swisher Sweets. Also, met Father Guido Sarduchi in a San Fran record store.

Old 03-06-2005, 05:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Smith

"Look, there's a penguin on the television set".

Old 03-06-2005, 05:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

....close to meeting the beatles

Old 03-06-2005, 08:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

recognized standing in front of "Chez Panisse," the best restaurant in town. She wheeled over and said, I can't remember your name, but you were in "The Color Purple." Can I have your autograph?" He laughed. "Good eyes," he said, and gave her his autograph.

Danny Glover.

Old 03-06-2005, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

throwing raves in San Fran for 2 years and driving limo for 10 years, I've met more than my fair share of celebs. Outside of those settings though. I don't really notice celebs. When I was married, then X would spot them all the time and I would never notice them. Guess it's becuase I've dealt with and been exposed to them so much that I don't really care.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 03-06-2005, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert

Growing up in Beverly Hills practically my whole life I have seen most of them from sports to big screen. The one thing I learned is they are human just like the rest of us and in most cases they starve for attention. When I was 16 many years ago my mom sent me to pick up my little sister at her friends house a famous directors daughter, I went to the wrong address and knocked on the door thinking it was the right place and Milton Burle opens the door. I asked if he knew where the directors house was and he told me...Then he says "Kid don't you know who I am" ..yeah I said "Milton Burle" and thanked him and left..his jaw dropped to the ground becasue I made no big deal of it. Recent sightings for me are Cindy Crawford (sat next to her at sushi roku), Shaq, dustin Hoffman, Meg Ryan, Jualia roberts, Kieffer, Charlie Sheen and his wife at my peditiatins office where I talked to her mostly, he did not say much...

Old 03-06-2005, 10:17 AM
Administrator

...but that was a while back...

Old 03-06-2005, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

My only brush with a celebrity (other than sports stars at shows or Tom Osborne and Bob Devaney while a student at Nebraska) would have been during the filming of "To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything, Julie Newmar" which was a terrible movie, but they were filming it in my hometown. Christopher Penn was hanging out every night in the same little pub that was at one time my hangout. He sat down and bought us beers on a couple of occasions. At one point he got so intoxicated that the owner made him leave so he went out in the parking lot, threw up and came back in. He was staying at the Residence Inn right next door so some of the movie's crew members came and got him. Patrick Swayze and Wesley Snipes would come in to the same pub, but they just kept to their own little clique. I think the only other time I've ever seen a celebrity was when Debra Winger was dating our governor while she was filming "Terms of Endearment".

Old 03-06-2005, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike P.

This anecdote is really my wifes but I thought it was a cool story none the less. She told me that a few years ago she was with some friends and had stopped at this chinese restaurant in Williamsburg, VA (which is where she is from). I have been there as well on a seperate occasion but I can't remember the name. Anyway, she says that the evening went as expected with nothing unusual. She said that as she was leaving the restaurant she was trailing behind her friends. She had opened the door to leave and didn't realize there was someone behind her. She then realized she just let the door smack Jackie Chan in the face! She was apologetic and she said he was a good sport about it. I just thought it was funny, him being a martial arts action hero and he can't keep a door from smacking him in the face. To err is human!

Old 03-06-2005, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred

I've done quite a bit of flying in my time. I've logged so much time in aiports and airplanes that it sickens me to think about how much time I've spent doing it:

I've sat next to Aaron Neville and Cheryl Miller on flights. The ineresting part about Aaron Neville was I saw him at an airport about two weeks later and he said hello to me and we talked for a few minutes. I've never seen him since then. During the flight he sang a little bit and talk about politics and other subjects. He was one of the friendliest persons I've ever met on a plane.

I was two seats across from Jimmy Carter (he was in a window seat and there were two secret service agents between us - I was in the same row two seats over in a window seat). I was able to speak to him for a few minutes and get an autograph.

I sat close to Lyle Alzedo (it was towards the end of his life, he was so frail).

I was two seats away from Johnny Bench from Paris to Cincinatti. I didn't want to bother him for his autograph.

Oh yes, I sat next to Pat Day (great jockey) on a flight.

I saw Randy Jones (1976 Natl League Cy Young award winner) in Hawaii, we were waiting for our luggage to come off the plane. We talked baseball for about 15 minutes, it was pretty interesting.

I've seen quite a few other celebrities in different airports.

Old 03-06-2005, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glenn

I was on a flight to L.A. once with O.J. Simpson, in the days when he was best known for being a football player. A few years ago I flew out of New Orleans with David Crosby. And Elton John once told me hello, but that wasn't anywhere near an airport.

Old 03-06-2005, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

I've met a handful of celebrities; however, the thrill of my life in that area is the dinner I had with Lou Reed and Laurie Anderson.

Old 03-06-2005, 06:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Fred- Funny you should mention sitting next to Lyle Alzado, because I went to high school with him. He was big and mean and a bully and I stayed as far away from him as possible. He picked on everyone, even guys half his size. I had long hair (this was 1967) and he cornered me in the hallway one day and told me if I didn't get a haircut I was in big trouble. I knew he was so dumb he wouldn't even remember who I was by the next day, so I ignored him. But he was frightening. He had the perfect temperament for an NFL lineman. Nevertheless, I felt bad when he died so young. He was the best football player in Nassau County (western part of Long Island), but a gentleman he wasn't.

Old 03-06-2005, 06:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Marquette

in 1981. Nothing else and no one else comes close. Not even sharing a hot tub with Bill Clinton.

Old 03-06-2005, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Bob,
Did you really share a hot tub with Bill Clinton? Did he have any of his female entourage with him?

Old 03-06-2005, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I had heard just recently that Lyle Alzado was terribly abusive to his wife. I think it came up on a radio show when they started discussing steroids, and someone called in with a story very similar to yours Barry. You may have even known the caller because he stated he grew up with Alzado and can only remember him being a bully.

Old 03-06-2005, 07:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhys

Since this is a baseball board I will try to keep this sports related. Stephen King lives in the town I grew up in, Bangor, Maine. When I was a senior in High School we were playing Bangor High School at the 3 Million dollar stadium Stephen built for the school when I made the second best catch of my baseball career off a ball hit by his son. I felt pretty good about it because we won the game and beat future Major Leaguer (and the guy who gave up Bonds' 660th home run, Matt Kinney) with my catch. After the game Stephen King came down and told me it was the best catch he had seen yet at that stadium he had built and asked my name and talked with me for about 5 minutes. I used to see him all around town though and he never wore a belt and had horrible plumbers crack. I didn't reallt think it was that cool until a few years later.

I sat next to Wilford Brimley at a restaurant and asked him for his autograph and told him I loved him in "The Natural". His daughter in law was eating with him and his family and asked him, "oh Wilford, were you in a movie called the Natural"? You would never guess he has HUGE tattoos all over his arms and legs.

LAST ONE! Also as a kid in Maine I used to spend hours at the outdoor Ice Arena in back of my High School in Orono playing hockey until about 10pm. One night this truck full of college guys show up and ask me and a few of my friends if they could play with us. It was about half of the 1991 University of Maine Hockey team with Paul Kariya. So he and the Maine guys played hockey with us for about 30 minutes and destroyed us without even breaking a sweat but it was still awsome.

Also, in my little town of Valparaiso, Indiana I coached little league last year and Mickey Morandhini was also a coach in the same league and so I got to see him all the time. Ron Kittle and Dan Pleasac also live here and I see them all the time, all really nice guys!

Old 03-06-2005, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: E. Angyal

Halle Berry in the early 80's. Still have the yearbooks to prove it!

Eric

Old 03-06-2005, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Travis Jensen

Jay, are you located in the Bay Area? If so, hit me up. Let's grab a drink or something sometime.

Best,

Travis Jensen
thesfmasher@yahoo.com

Old 03-06-2005, 09:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

Barry- I sure did. Bill (my law professor), Jesse Clark who later played for the Green Bay Packers and I all drank a few brewskies in a hot tub on the rooftop of a hotel in Fayetteville. This was pre-Monica Lewinsky, pre-Paula Jones, pre-Jennifer Flowers back when President William Clinton was just Bill, a funny and crazy guy.

Old 03-07-2005, 12:44 AM
Administrator

Travis, haven't lived in the Bay Area since 1991. I miss SF a lot and is my all time favorite city. It jsut costs way too much to live there now. Now I live just north of Rocket J Squirrel and Frostbite Falls, MN.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 03-07-2005, 02:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: base2base

lmao. Thats some funny **** my man.

Old 03-07-2005, 04:02 AM
Administrator

Lyle had all this pent up violent energy and we all thought that he would end up in prison. To his credit, he found the perfect profession to channel all this energy and made a success of himself. Even as a ten year old I can remember all the tough kids in the neighborhood used to brag about his exploits. There were always stories about who he beat up and sometimes even unsubstantiated tales of people who may have gotten the better of him in a fight. But he was known to carry a switchblade, and was always looking for a fight. It was amazing in the end that he was able to do so well.

Old 03-07-2005, 05:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Pete Z.

Re Jeff's dinner with Lou and Laurie, I'll bet "it was alllll-right".

In '81 I waited in a long line at a small bookstore near DePaul (Chi-town) to have Vonnegut sign my journal, and in '82 I sat in on a course taught by Allen Ginsberg in Boulder CO, at the Naropa Institute.

In '85 in a job-hunting trip in NYC lost on Broadway looking out for David Byrne I saw Tom Waits waiting for a cab. I got to shake his weathered hand and tell him how much I enjoyed his music and I think I caused him to miss his cab.

Old 03-07-2005, 06:24 AM
Administrator

I met Ginsberg a couple of times and he was not particularly friendly. My friend and I were walking with him and Peter Orlovsky when we were in college and Peter asked my friend for a cigarette; when he complied Peter took the cigarette, ripped it up, threw it on the ground, then asked for another. He was making his statement on the evils of tobacco. But seeing him at Naropa must have been pretty cool. I think he was most instrumental in getting that school off the ground.
I once drove Abby Hoffman from Long island to Manhattan because he lectured at the college where I taught and he needed a lift to the city. He was surly and rude, and when I dropped him off he ran out of the car without even thanking me for the ride. What a jerk.

Old 03-07-2005, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Simon

Just as being in LA is great for spotting celebs so is living in New York City. I have seen so many I cannot even remember them all.
But one of my favorite encounters was at an Off Broadway theatre where I was seeing the play "Cobb" a wonderful play about Ty Cobb. Two men walked in and sat in the seats directly in front of me. Somebody sitting next to them leaned over to say something to one of them. He then turned toward that person and I could see Kevin Spacey sitting right in front of me, at this wonderful baseball play. He signed my program

----

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

Old 03-07-2005, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Darren J. Duet

I met Joe Montana at a drug company sponsored evening last November--had a nice conversation with him. Had dinner with Ron Guidry a while back. Spent some time with Dr. Debakey--a great guy. I meet a celebrity now and then but not very often....not many come though Cut Off, LA.

Once we had Sly Stallone down here--He was passing through and got pulled over for a speeding violation, well everyone called everyone and just about all of us have a photo with him. Just passing through you say--He was headed to Grand Isle(the end of the road) for some of the world's greatest fishing.

Old 03-07-2005, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Stallone lives/lived in the hills above where I used to live so I'd see him all the time in various stores. Very nice guy for a "superstar"; always respectful of the fact that someone cared enough about him to say hello.

I see Michael Chiklis (The Shield) all the time in our neighborhood with his family. One week we sat near them at dinner, saw them a day or two later at the Aquarium of the Pacific and then my wife and her sister sat right in front of him and his wife at the theater; by then, she turned and asked if he was following us around.

I work out 3-6 days a week at a Bikram Yoga studio near my office and one of our regular 6:30 a.m. folks (we usually have 8-10 there at that time all of whom know each other pretty well) is Raquel Welch. In fact, I saw her this morning. Nice lady. The one I'm waiting to see in class is Kirsten Dunst, who also works out there.

There is an ok Italian restaurant near my house where lots of character actors eat. I've seen NYPD Blue cast members Gordon Jump, who also played Ray Schalk in Eight Men Out, and Dennis Franz, and also Bernie Kopell (Siegfried in Get Smart and Doc in Love Boat).

I was in a Chinese restaurant in my old neighborhood once and saw that actor who played Jack Klompus on Seinfeld (Take the pen! Go ahead, I insist!). I also saw Bobcat Goldthwaite (spelling?) stoned off his gourd in an ice cream shop in the same shopping center. He actually sounds like he does on stage (scary).

My alma mater is a big entertainment community high school (I am on the alumni council there). We have a carnival every year and various other events where celebrity parents show up and/or pitch in. Last year I was working a booth along side of Jason Alexander (George Costanza) and also saw Forest Whittaker, Danny DeVito, Rhea Perlman, Leah Thompson, and that guy who hosts the celebrity poker show. All have kids at the school. For that matter, Eric Idle does too.

The weirdest one I ever had was at my wife's high school reunion. I was at the bar getting loaded with my brother in law (my wife is a twin) and we looked across the room and saw Larry Brown. His wife went to HS with my wife (and no I did not marry a senior citizen; Brown's current wife was born in 1965, a year after he was in the Olympics). This was just after he'd left the Clippers. I had my wife introduce us to her classmate and LB. Trying to make small talk without sounding too drunk I told him I was sorry to hear he'd stepped down from the Clippers. He said "I did not resign". Whoops. He was fired but it was in the papers as a mutual resignation thing.

Finally, although it is not exactly a celebrity citing, I was on an adult extension panel last year as a card expert and one of the other panels at the extension program was a tv head of publicity. We were chatting while waiting for our room assignments and he told me about Jennifer Lopez, who apparently is the biggest pain in the butt in Hollywood. When she comes onto a set, she first sends in a lackey with a bottle of her perfume to spray the air and take away the man-stink of other peoples' presence. She also won't speak directly to anyone who is not on the air with her or a director-producer type. She instead has you ask questions to a bodyguard who then relays her answers to you, even though she is five feet away.

Old 03-07-2005, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Jack Klompus was played by Sandy Baron, who died a couple of years ago.

Old 03-07-2005, 01:25 PM
Administrator

The only pain the ass celebrity I had to deal with was Bill Cosby. He was the last person I ever expect to be a total jerk. Basically, he was pissed becuase he didn't get a Black driver like he requested and I got to hear about it the whole time I was driving him. Thankfully, only for 2 hours.

The Ghetto Boys (ganster rappers) were a general pain in the ass, but nothing like Cosby.

The best tipper was Jose Feliciano. He handed me $100 bill. I asked him if he knew how much he tipped me (for those that don't know, he's blind). He said, I hope it's a hundred. Said Yep, just wanted to make sure. Most celebs don't tip. They just have their managers handle it for them.

Gwen Stefani was one of the coolest people I drove. They were performing at an outdoor venue that night at an all day concert. She had me drive her out there so she could skateboard for awhile. No one had a clue she was skating since she blended in with all other little pink haired clones.

Drove Dennis Rodman a number of times. Never a dull moment with him

I drove lot fo Sacramento Kings players on a regular basis. Let's just say Jason Williams and Chris Weber were NOT the biggest pot smokers and drug users on the team. Always had premo seats for games whether it was from the Maloofs or regular clients who had extra tickets or luxury boxes.

Needless to say, I miss limo driving.

Jay

Old 03-07-2005, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

Ray Schalk was played by Gordon Clapp in Eight Men Out. Gordon Jump was in WKRP in Cincinatti and was the Maytag repairman. I think he has passed away.

Old 03-08-2005, 01:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: godvls

Back in the summer of '79 I attended an orientation for prospective fall enrollees at Arizona State. My roommate in the dorm they put us up in was a kid named Mike Donahue. As we got to talking it became apparent that his family had a good deal of money. Somewhere along the way I asked Mike what his dad did for a living.....he pointed to the closet and asked me to check his luggage. I pulled out his luggage and read the bagtag which read 'Phil Donahue'. "Your dad's not THE Phil Donahue, is he???", said I. "Yes he is and he'd coming to see the campus tomorrow". Sure enough, the next morning there was a knock on the door and Phil Donahue is standing in the doorway.

Living all my life in L.A. (with the exception of three years at ASU) I have run into a few celebrities. I chased Dusty Baker around a small market when I was in high school, ran into Wilt Chamberlin at Westward Ho market in Sherman Oaks, sat next to Pamela Anderson at a sushi bar, sat next to Kim Basinger at a sushi bar (twice), stood near the guy from Dashboard Confessional at the House of Blues, ran into Gilda Radner and Lorraine Newman at a Squeeze show in '81......there were other sightings over the years, but none of them meant a whole lot to me with the exception of the night I sat right across the aisle from ELVIS COSTELLO at a Squeeze concert at the Greek Theatre. It was 1986 and he'd just grown a beard and no one seemed to recognize him. He was sitting with his (then) new girlfriend Cait O'Riordan of the Pogues and Eddie Munoz of the Plimsouls. After the show I tried to work up the nerve to talk to him as I followed him until he disappeared through a well-guarded door which I imagined led to some fabulous party.

Old 03-08-2005, 01:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: DMcD

Eric Clapton held a door open for me at a Santa Monica mall a few years back. Would've made a better story if I had thought to air-guitar the opening riff of Layla but the best I could do at the time was "Gee, thanks."

Old 03-08-2005, 02:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Back in the summer of 92 I played alot of softball tournments, they were usually Saturdays and Sundays depending on how your team did. One weekend we finished up on a Saturday early because there was a benefit softball game between the Detroit Tigers wifes and the mentally challeged. I got to meet most of the tigers and there wifes, all very nice people. Sparky Anderson was the best, just a down to earth guy. I also had Travis Fryman sign my glove, which I lost a year later at another tournment. I still miss that glove it was given to me by my uncle. And Jay I just got back from a cruise about 3 weeks ago and I talked to this magician his name I cant remember at the moment, but he had worked for Bill C. and said he was the biggest ---hole he had ever met, and a super big racist. Ive met several of the Detroit Redwings at a downtown bar in Detroit after games. All nice guys and alot smaller w/o there pads.

Old 03-08-2005, 05:17 AM
Administrator

Gordon Clapp; that's who I saw.

The guy who played Jack Klompus looked sick when I saw him; had an oxygen tank. I guess it was emphysema??

Old 03-08-2005, 06:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John Basilone

Back in 1996, I went to see The Who's Quadrophenia tour in Cleveland with a 3-4 friends including Pete Townsend's "girlfriend" at the time. She worked for the Limited in Columbus and helped design costumes for this Tommy Broadway production. I believe Pete was still married at the time... :0

Anyways...we got to hang out with Townsend and Daltry backstage for an hour or so after the show. We also hung out with "The Heads" (The Original Talking Heads w/o David Byrne).

I also met Nick Mason (Drummer of Pink Floyd) at a mall music store in Cleveland while they were in town in the 90's. The kicker is that he was buying a Pink Floyd CD !!!! Nobody had any idea who he was, except me who was a big fan of the band.

I was also able to meet a number of misc. celebs at Super Bowl XXX.

Old 03-08-2005, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Nick

Living in a northern state of the USA its not often celebs want to come here. Who could blame them with all the snow and ice. Though i did have one encounter with someone famous. While at a Jesse James parade in Northfeild, MN I was asked by Dustin Hoffman to join him for lunch. He was a very nice and down to earth gentleman.... must say it was a very enlightening lunch

Nick

Old 03-08-2005, 07:23 PM
Administrator

who wrote songs in the '60s ("Little Boxes," "The Day the Freeway Froze") and I were both shopping in the Co-op in Berkeley. I recognized her, and smiled and said "Hello!"
She gave me the dirtiest look anyone has ever given me in my whole life, sad, blaming, as if I were responsible for all the evils in the world...

Old 03-08-2005, 07:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Evans

In 1974, I was interviewing for a job with a law firm in Atlanta (didn't get the job). One of the partners took me into the lobby to meet a client, Hank Aaron and his wife. Shook hands with the Hammer, who was very nice. His wife was especially outgoing, a tv personality as I recall.