NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 10-13-2012, 10:43 AM
Larry More.y

Default 91 Topps Desert Shield

I recently started building the 91 Topps Desert Shield set. In looking through some of the cards, the shields on a portion the cards are slightly different shades of color than the majority. Also, in looking at some duplicates of cards, the shield placement is slightly off from one card to another. Are these slight variances typical of this set? Have there been any confirmed cases of these cards being "counterfeited"?
Old 10-13-2012, 11:25 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

from what I remember, the "Shield" stamp was more pointy on the counterfeits

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 10-13-2012, 12:44 PM
Bi11..R0berts

There are definately counterfeits. If you do a google search you can find some really good articles that explain and show pictures of the fakes. There have also been some recent discussions on the board if you look in the archives.

Last edited by brob28; 10-13-2012 at 12:45 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-14-2012, 10:53 AM
Larry More.y

Thanks guys...using the PSA article and the one group of pictures I did find, I went through mine and found about 10% of the 800+ I have were suspect. The strange part is the suspect ones were the ones with the gum stains...pretty cunning to counterfeit gum stained cards in order to deflect suspicion by using a less than NM card(who would counterfeit a gum stained card?). The coconuts on the top edge of the tree seem to be the easiest way for me to determine the legit ones from the fake. On the fakes, the coconuts were not easily seen.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:46 AM
Larry More.y

I came across some more of these cards...and I am not sure on these where they may fall. Each of them is slightly different, but what I can not tell is if it is just a variance in quality. Can anyone tell from these scans if any of these are legit? If they are not legit, what is the tell tale sign that it is indeed a fake?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (36.9 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (34.8 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (34.6 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg 9.jpg (31.7 KB, 232 views)
Old 01-03-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
I came across some more of these cards...and I am not sure on these where they may fall. Each of them is slightly different, but what I can not tell is if it is just a variance in quality. Can anyone tell from these scans if any of these are legit? If they are not legit, what is the tell tale sign that it is indeed a fake?
If you tell me which cards these are, I can scan ours in for you. We have a legit set as we built ours from the packs we received after returning from the Gulf War.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:28 AM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by brob28 View Post
There are definately counterfeits. If you do a google search you can find some really good articles that explain and show pictures of the fakes. There have also been some recent discussions on the board if you look in the archives.
They absolutely have been counterfeited, and more than once!

Larry