NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-30-2016, 09:04 AM
Richard

Default Help Authenticating A&G Album of Worlds Champions

Hello there.

I recently purchased a portion of A17 Allen & Ginter album of World's Champions (2nd series, the one with the bugler, corresponding with N29 cards). I want a little help to ease my mind that it's authentic, though.

1) I expected the card stock to be identical to the N29 and N28 cards, but it's not; it's slightly thinner.
2) There are ghost images on the back of the players from (I assume) the next page in order, almost like a wet sheet transfer would occur on the backs of Goudeys.
3) The pages are glossy in the same way N29s are, showing shadings around the faces if held at certain angles, but between this and #1 above I am just a bit worried.

I am generally solid at telling old stock from new, but I wonder if anyone else owns an A&G original album (series probably does not matter) and can verify any of the above. Any help appreciated... thanks,

Richard

Last edited by lampertb; 04-30-2016 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Revision
Old 04-30-2016, 12:55 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default all of what you mentioned

would be expected for your album. The same stones were used - hence a similar application of the inks (that shining you mention). I have many and have sold quite a few albums plus I have an N29 related album mounted and framed on my wall. You can send me a pic if it would make you feel better. Was it the one missing pages recently auction on bay or somewhere? BTW - not wet sheet transfer - you "T" and "E" guys kill me :-) - over time the layer of inking tends to ghost and eventually might even adhere to the opposing page over time - especially if moisture is introduced to it's environment at some point.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:19 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Yeah, pretty much all the old albums I've owned have the printed page "leak" onto the blank page set against it. I assume a wet sheet transfer would have the back image the same as the front image.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:02 PM
Bry@n

If moisture has to be introduced is it not still a "wet sheet"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1880nonsports View Post
would be expected for your album. The same stones were used - hence a similar application of the inks (that shining you mention). I have many and have sold quite a few albums plus I have an N29 related album mounted and framed on my wall. You can send me a pic if it would make you feel better. Was it the one missing pages recently auction on bay or somewhere? BTW - not wet sheet transfer - you "T" and "E" guys kill me :-) - over time the layer of inking tends to ghost and eventually might even adhere to the opposing page over time - especially if moisture is introduced to it's environment at some point.