NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 10-08-2019, 03:56 PM
GaryPassamonte

Default Clayton Kershaw

I heard two interesting tidbits on TV today. On MLB Now, it was stated that Kershaw and Pettite have made the most starts on short rest since 1995 with six starts each. On Pardon the Interruption, Mike Wilbon said that pitchers on short rest are a combined 49-79 in the post season. I realize Kershaw has had his post season troubles, but do these two pieces of information provide a partial answer to this? Thoughts?
Old 10-10-2019, 05:38 AM
GaryPassamonte

So much for that theory.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:43 AM
Peter Spaeth

Where are the guys who have insisted in the past this was all just small sample size?

To me this is a huge, and almost inexplicable, black mark against an otherwise great pitcher.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-10-2019 at 05:44 AM.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:57 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Where are the guys who have insisted in the past this was all just small sample size?

To me this is a huge, and almost inexplicable, black mark against an otherwise great pitcher.
At this point everyone knows what Kershaw is, except Dave Roberts apparently.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:32 AM
GaryPassamonte

I am a life long Dodger fan and have been a defender of Kershaw through his playoff woes, but I must concede, he has experienced a significant decline in the last few years. While pitchers such as Scherzer and Verlander have flourished with age, Kershaw has not.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:27 AM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryPassamonte View Post
I am a life long Dodger fan and have been a defender of Kershaw through his playoff woes, but I must concede, he has experienced a significant decline in the last few years. While pitchers such as Scherzer and Verlander have flourished with age, Kershaw has not.
I can remember Verlander having some aging pains of his own In Detroit. Kershaw will figure it out. If Homer Bailey (Homer Bailey!) can figure out his problems and turn it around in Oakland, Kershaw can turn it around in LA. Or maybe it just takes a change of scenery.
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 10-10-2019, 12:08 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
I can remember Verlander having some aging pains of his own In Detroit. Kershaw will figure it out. If Homer Bailey (Homer Bailey!) can figure out his problems and turn it around in Oakland, Kershaw can turn it around in LA. Or maybe it just takes a change of scenery.
Verlander had a physical problem he finally was able to fix with the help of an innovative physical therapist.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:49 PM
GaryPassamonte

Tim- I've always hoped Kershaw would spend his whole career with the Dodgers. I hope he figures it out soon, although he still remains an excellent regular season pitcher. He's just not up to the amazing numbers he posted earlier in his career.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:06 PM
Todd Schultz

I'm no Dodger fan, and I've only rooted for Kershaw twice (or how many times he pitched against the Red Sox), but the manager needs to take some heat here too. He left a lot in the bullpen, even though guys were up and ready--probably the right guys too.

Had Eaton delivered against Kershaw in the prior inning we would have heard about that all off season too. As it is though, Kershaw looked great in that one AB to end the inning, and Roberts may have thought he caught lightning in a bottle and could roll the dice. Me, I would have used that as a confidence builder and moved on to start the 8th, although hindsight is always 20-20 as they say. Maybe Roberts remembered 2017, when Kershaw left with two on and a 3-run lead in the WS only to watch Maeda promptly give up a three-run shot to to tie what would be a pivotal loss in game 5. Still, Maeda had looked very relaxed and sharp this series, and looked like the obvious choice. FWIW, Kelly should not have been allowed to start or finish the 10th either--that too is on Roberts.

Back to Kershaw, though, I believe he can still be very effective going forward if he pitches more than throws. Pedro Martinez said something after the game about how Kershaw needs to give up being a power pitcher and use his experience to keep hitters off balance. I think he's right. Anybody these days can throw 96 plus and many have good secondary pitches as well. Still, there is plenty of room still for the proverbial "wily veteran" to prosper.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:51 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Still, there is plenty of room still for the proverbial "wily veteran" to prosper.
Anibal Sanchez! I didn't follow the Nationals this year, but I couldn't believe he was pitching in this series.
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 10-10-2019, 04:51 PM
qu@n nguy3n

todd--i think you're a closet dodgers fan, that was a fairly informed dodgers post.

alot of kershaw's postseason history has been circumstantial, the bullpen surely hasn't helped his narrative any. i do blame the astros world series loss on him and kenley tho, i still haven't gotten over that. i didn't have high hope this year as their pitching aren't as strong. i do think roberts is more of a pom-pom waving rah rah kind of manager, i'm not impressed with his in-game decision at all.

oh well postseason is about pitching and imo wash had the best 2 pitchers in the series (buehler is a bulldog and he's gonna be top 5-7 SP soon) so it was a toss-up. not upset or down today, when you can start scherzer and strasburg 4/5 games that's a pretty good advantage over the other team.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:03 AM
Bill Gregory

I'll just leave this here. I loved seeing Brewers All Star starting pitcher Brandon Woodruff, a left handed batter, take Kershaw deep.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:54 AM
Tim Odeen

Wanted to bump this since the Astros news broke.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2020, 11:01 AM

Kershaw has a nice high leg kick before he delivers. However it seems he loses that leg kick momentum halfway through his delivery as his leg comes down and pauses before he makes movement toward the plate. Looks somewhat herky-jerky to me. I wonder if he were to continue his leg kick momentum further into driving toward the plate, smooth it out, maybe gain more power on delivery. Heck if I know technically, I am sure not a coach, but it would seem coaches would spot this and try to help him have a more smooth continual pitching motion.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:00 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100backstroke View Post
Kershaw has a nice high leg kick before he delivers. However it seems he loses that leg kick momentum halfway through his delivery as his leg comes down and pauses before he makes movement toward the plate. Looks somewhat herky-jerky to me. I wonder if he were to continue his leg kick momentum further into driving toward the plate, smooth it out, maybe gain more power on delivery. Heck if I know technically, I am sure not a coach, but it would seem coaches would spot this and try to help him have a more smooth continual pitching motion.
This most continually dominant starting pitcher of his generation (up until the last few years) Have you ever considered that he's making an adjustment for ache and pain? Ankle, knee or hip? In 12 MLB seasons he's been a workhorse. Pitched a cargo ship of innings. I highly doubt knows nothing how to adjust his technique.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:34 AM

To answer your question, yes, I have considered that Kershaw has been making adjustments the last few years. I would be shocked if he hasn't. I know he has been working diligently on developing a change-up and I know he constantly makes adjustment to keep hitters off balance and focusing more on pitch placement rather than just sending fastballs straight down the plate. If you take a look at the site, "Let's Talk Pitching" (a forum with technical talk from actual pitchers/coaches) there are concerns with his herky-jerky pause before he comes to the plate. The posts inquire why the pause, claiming the pause does indeed take away from power to the plate. And pitchers say the pause is not the best of mechanics to promote to young pitchers as it can lead to a loss of power and too much stress on the arm and shoulder. On the other hand, some posts claim what Kershaw gains with the pause is the ability to keep hitters off balance. They also say that the other aspects of his pitching motion are infact very solid.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:42 AM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

I've always thought pitchers with complicated wind-ups had a shorter shelf life in general. When there's that many moving parts, when something goes wrong or gets out of whack it's tough to pin down exactly what is wrong. This leads to constant tweaks that effect performance. Look at Tim Lincecum, Dontrelle Willis, etc. Crazy wind ups and when the bottom fell out, they were effectively done for. On the flip side, guys like Nolan Ryan and Greg Maddux had simple mechanics, and they were able to pitch for a long time, remain largely injury-free and be consistently effective throughout their careers.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:18 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgo71 View Post
I've always thought pitchers with complicated wind-ups had a shorter shelf life in general. When there's that many moving parts, when something goes wrong or gets out of whack it's tough to pin down exactly what is wrong. This leads to constant tweaks that effect performance. Look at Tim Lincecum, Dontrelle Willis, etc. Crazy wind ups and when the bottom fell out, they were effectively done for. On the flip side, guys like Nolan Ryan and Greg Maddux had simple mechanics, and they were able to pitch for a long time, remain largely injury-free and be consistently effective throughout their careers.
I totally agree...Alex Wood has had health problems too.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 01-21-2020, 08:11 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgo71 View Post
Disagree...we can all give names for our side...how was Juan Marichal..,,,didnt look up spelling

Satchel Paige played like 30 years and i believe he didnt have a conventional wind up, correct me if i am wrong .tons of guys with simple wind ups im sure got hurt a lot as well and/or ineffective

im sure there were good sidewinders and bad ones as well

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 01-21-2020 at 08:12 PM.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:04 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Marichal and Paige are definitely good examples against my theory. They played before my time so I'm just going on a guess that maybe they didn't have the steep dropoff that Lincecum and Willis had? To be more clear, it's my belief that players with wind-ups like that are harder to correct once something goes wrong, not that they can't be effective throughout their entire career. I I have to think that when something was slightly out of whack for Ryan it was easier to correct than when something went out of whack with Willis. I'm sure there's exceptions to the rule though as you just mentioned two that clearly are.