NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-08-2018, 10:26 PM

Default Another ebay annoyance

So I placed an early bid tonight on an N28 Clarkson in lower grade. I was the high bidder for awhile but eventually lost by $2. I thought that was strange because the minimum bid increment should have been $2.50 (or maybe even $5.00). So I decided to look at the bid history. I went into my watched items, clicked on the Clarkson, and up popped an N28 Keefe, along with a message that the Clarkson was no longer available, so ebay decided to show me something "similar."

I knew damn well that the Clarkson was no longer available. That was precisely why I wanted to look at it. I then decided to search for it by searching completed items. It was gone. The same thing happened with every other card I bid on tonight. As soon as the auction ended, the card disappeared and was replaced by ebay with a "similar" card.

It's still possible to search for completed items, but tonight's auctions aren't accessible that way. I assume they are phasing out the completed items feature. Why?
Old 07-08-2018, 10:28 PM
Bry@n

This is definitely annoying, but you can still find the listing. In the line of text telling you that the listing you are after has ended, the word "listing" is a hyperlink to the item you are trying to find.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:40 PM

Every year eBay adds at least one more obstacle that makes it harder to use or requires another click to just go where you want.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:42 AM

Thank you Jobu.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:12 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Yes even though the hyperlink is there, it is still a huge annoyance. If I am clicking on a completed auction there is a reason for it. Most of the "similar" when it comes to collectibles isn't even similar... unless a reprint is similar.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:24 AM

But think about it from EBay's perspective ... they want you to buy something. Not look at listings they can't make money on.

And for many items other than baseball cards (which are very specific) it kind of make sense that if you lost the auction for the toilet bowl brush ... they show you another toilet bowl brush you can buy.

So from their perspective ... this is a great change to boost impulse sales.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:49 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMPEP View Post
But think about it from EBay's perspective ... they want you to buy something. Not look at listings they can't make money on.

And for many items other than baseball cards (which are very specific) it kind of make sense that if you lost the auction for the toilet bowl brush ... they show you another toilet bowl brush you can buy.

So from their perspective ... this is a great change to boost impulse sales.
Their perspective is flawed, though. This doesn't cause impulse buys, it causes frustration. They already give you a list of similar items when looking at completed items, no reason to route me to any single one. Also baseball cards is specific, but collectibles is not. This would be an issue with any collectibles.

Ebay was started for the collectibles market, specifically PEZdispensers, they have decided to go the opposite direction though and totally abandon the market share that helped them get to the point they have gotten to. Which is why they are going to lose in the end to Amazon and other Auction Houses. They have a large platform now, but there is no way they can compete if they keep going in this direction. They lost site of what made them stand out and the more they transform into a scammers' playground and resell shop for Amazon deals, the more they are going to lose traction.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:43 PM
Derek Granger

I noticed this recently as well. Very frustrating. I don't believe this "similar item" issue occurs on the smart phone App, so that is another way to circumvent the craziness (at least for now).

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 07-09-2018, 12:51 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Allow me to sum up this issue in two languages:

User-Friendly - No-Mas!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 07-09-2018 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:13 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Just a supposition, and I'm definitely giving them much too much credit, but I'm wondering if ebay started doing this now to help knock out the possibility of some nefarious activity. Say a buy-it-now card sells for a low price (due to a seller not realizing what he/she has, etc.), usually the sharks will immediately contact the seller and offer him more money for the card. Then next thing you know (as has been documented countless times around these parts), the original sale is cancelled for a completely invented reason and the card is sold to the other guy. If listings disappear immediately, it now becomes much harder to do those sorts of things. Of course, where there's a will there's a way, but it will definitely help with the situation I highlighted here.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:45 PM
Larry Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
Their perspective is flawed, though. This doesn't cause impulse buys, it causes frustration. They already give you a list of similar items when looking at completed items, no reason to route me to any single one. Also baseball cards is specific, but collectibles is not. This would be an issue with any collectibles.

Ebay was started for the collectibles market, specifically PEZdispensers, they have decided to go the opposite direction though and totally abandon the market share that helped them get to the point they have gotten to. Which is why they are going to lose in the end to Amazon and other Auction Houses. They have a large platform now, but there is no way they can compete if they keep going in this direction. They lost site of what made them stand out and the more they transform into a scammers' playground and resell shop for Amazon deals, the more they are going to lose traction.
But their stock is upday, and isn't that really what they care about?
Old 07-09-2018, 05:41 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Just a supposition, and I'm definitely giving them much too much credit, but I'm wondering if ebay started doing this now to help knock out the possibility of some nefarious activity. Say a buy-it-now card sells for a low price (due to a seller not realizing what he/she has, etc.), usually the sharks will immediately contact the seller and offer him more money for the card. Then next thing you know (as has been documented countless times around these parts), the original sale is cancelled for a completely invented reason and the card is sold to the other guy. If listings disappear immediately, it now becomes much harder to do those sorts of things. Of course, where there's a will there's a way, but it will definitely help with the situation I highlighted here.
You're dreaming if you think eBay makes changes like this to stamp out shady behavior. It's all about driving traffic to active listings.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:25 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
You're dreaming if you think eBay makes changes like this to stamp out shady behavior. It's all about driving traffic to active listings.
Abso-freakin-lutely agree.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:26 PM
Robert Kasenter

Default n28 Clarkson

Hey Paul,

With respect to the Clarkson, I was the high bidder. I believe the bid was a few dollars below your maximum bid and my maximum bid happened to be $2 above yours. With respect to redirecting the listing to another one, I agree it is annoying as hell and completely unnecessary. When you lose an auction you are going to look for a similar card, but their attempt to push you there is not helpful.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:40 PM

Robert,

Thanks for letting me know you won the Clarkson. Congratulations. That's an awfully nice card for the grade.

Paul

Last edited by paul; 07-09-2018 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:07 AM
Sam Lemoine

I'm noticing now that when I look at a card that has a BIN, they will have a "package" of similar items that others looked at when looking at this card, and the whole thing is put together for me to just checkout with as part of a multiple card cart purchase. Definitely trying to drive sales. All good. I'll still find what I want.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:20 AM
Steve

I found a Fix.

Look at the Auction with eBay App on Your Phone.

It does not bring up other auctions they are trying to get you to bid on.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:04 AM
Robert Kasenter

Default Clarkson

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
Robert,

Thanks for letting me know you won the Clarkson. Congratulations. That's an awfully nice card for the grade.

Paul
Thanks Paul. It is nice for the grade. While I got lucky on the Clarkson, somebody beat me on rhe King Kelly card. So it goes I guess.

Rob
Old 07-10-2018, 05:24 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Let's face it, eBay is no longer a place to sell sports memorabilia. They just don't understand the mindset of the sports memorabilia business.

But until another venue comes along with that many eyes, many of us are still stuck here.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 07-10-2018, 06:06 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
+1
There is ALWAYS, ALWAYS one answer as to why ebay does anything $$, and this change is annoying as heck.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:21 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
+1
There is ALWAYS, ALWAYS one answer as to why ebay does anything $$, and this change is annoying as heck.

Happened to me yesterday...it's a gnat...I move on.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 07-10-2018, 08:36 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
So I placed an early bid tonight on an N28 Clarkson in lower grade. I was the high bidder for awhile but eventually lost by $2. I thought that was strange because the minimum bid increment should have been $2.50 (or maybe even $5.00).
Bidding increments do not apply to proxy. If you did not have a proxy bid the next amount would need to follow bidding increments. When there is a hidden maximum, the high bid needs only to be .01 higher than the hidden max bid. Thus the reason all of my snipes add a couple pennies. If the proxy is 20 dollars and I snipe at 20.01...I win.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 07-10-2018 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:56 AM
Bruce Fairchild

When I look at my lost auctions on Gavelsnipe it shows different descriptions that what I actually bid. When I click on the descripton it shows the correct auction.
For instance, I bid on Mordicai Brown but Gavelsnipe shows Bobby Wallace.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceinGa View Post
When I look at my lost auctions on Gavelsnipe it shows different descriptions that what I actually bid. When I click on the descripton it shows the correct auction.
For instance, I bid on Mordicai Brown but Gavelsnipe shows Bobby Wallace.
That JUST started happening. I think it's a function of Ebay now forwarding you to a new listing. It's REALLY annoying because now I have to try to remember what I put my snipe in for the week earlier! The Gavelsnipe impact bugs me more than the re-direct actually.

Last edited by SMPEP; 07-10-2018 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:40 PM
Noel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
This is definitely annoying, but you can still find the listing. In the line of text telling you that the listing you are after has ended, the word "listing" is a hyperlink to the item you are trying to find.
The closest hyperlink i could find was "see original listing" and then it still directed me to another listing and not the original.