NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-10-2018, 10:41 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: http://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistry/alltimeset.aspx?s=175000&ac=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotVader View Post
Larry Legend asks a great question

Greg?
What can he really do....maybe video? All he can do basically has been done and has been advised on this thread of what else to do.....im sure he is open to suggestions for anything else not obvious (ie. go to police)

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 08-10-2018 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:50 PM
Mark
M@rk C@lvi

It's too bad top card graders like PSA and SGC don't insert an anti-theft tag like they use at stores or a GPS chip, especially on higher value graded cards. The tag could be activated while at a card show, so if the card goes beyond a predetermined radius a very loud siren would go off and maybe set it up with the show that cameras would focus on this area, maybe restrict people from exiting till the card is found too. With the new technology, it should be possible for the owner to enable a GPS tracking system or at least a tag in the cardholder if the high-value card is stolen.

I called both PSA and SGC and brought up the idea, with SGC giving me an E-mail address to pass on this to someone higher up.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:38 PM

Mark, interesting idea.... cost would be pretty substantial, would have to set up circuits at any show that offered that service....

If you've seen the movie "Get Out" then you'll know this scene. If you haven't, then you can skip to about 2:03 of the video.... the lady cop is the person that gave the forwarding email address....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH0jBS408eo

Just having a little fun Mark....don't be mad...

Last edited by Fred; 08-10-2018 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:03 PM
Mark
M@rk C@lvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Mark, interesting idea.... cost would be pretty substantial, would have to set up circuits at any show that offered that service....

If you've seen the movie "Get Out" then you'll know this scene. If you haven't, then you can skip to about 2:03 of the video.... the lady cop is the person that gave the forwarding email address....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH0jBS408eo

Just having a little fun Mark....don't be mad...
I only get mad when I'm called later for dinner Fred. I guess my thinking stems from the library stopping people from walking out with a $2 book, but we can't find a way to detect when a $1000+ card walks away.

Have a good weekend Fred...
Old 08-10-2018, 08:44 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe3Ruth3 View Post
I only get mad when I'm called later for dinner Fred. I guess my thinking stems from the library stopping people from walking out with a $2 book, but we can't find a way to detect when a $1000+ card walks away.
Ha! Brings back memories. In high school we used to pull out the book sensors and put them in our friend’s coat pockets. They would set off the alarm and get detained.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:50 PM
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpopper View Post
Yes, that pretty much sums up the situation. There were 3 people who last saw/touched the card, including myself. The card “vanished” moments afterward.

It’s a dirty game, people. Beware of those who are supposedly trusted.

I've had guys hold out a card and ask if I want to buy it. When I reach for the card it becomes a tug of war. At that point I don't feel we have developed the necessary rapport it takes to complete the transaction. You can never be too careful I suppose.
Old 08-12-2018, 04:32 PM

For high-dollar theft targets like this, perhaps the slabs could be placed temporarily in larger and perhaps brightly-colored acrylic cases -- say 8 x 10 -- that would be much more difficult to slip into a pocket or bag. This theft-deterring case would have the card slab inset with overlap around the edges of the slab, so it couldn't easily be popped out without use of a tool to unscrew the case, but it would not cover or obscure the front or back of the slab. Perhaps such a thing already exits, I don't know.
Old 08-12-2018, 04:38 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

You build a better mouse trap, they build a better mouse. It's almost impossible to mitigate loss to theft to 0%. Firmer punishments for thieves might help!

"Trolling Ebay right now" ©
Old 08-12-2018, 06:02 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

A friend of mine had $8000 in gold coins stolen from her. The idiot returned to the scene of the crime the next week. He was arrested and brought to jail. Bailed out and 2 weeks later pled guilty to get credit time served. He got to keep the coins. No restitution!
Old 08-12-2018, 07:32 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Yuck, but reminds me of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1cKM-_CKno

No luck lowpopper?
1910 Painted handkerchief of GA Tech pennant girl by F. Earl Christy sold by Atlanta Toy Museum on eBay circa 2000.
COMC store: https://www.comc.com/Users/mjohnatgt,sh,i100