NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-18-2020, 02:26 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocca001 View Post
Ha! I didn't know how rare the Oilers pennant was when I bought it, although the hammer price should have been a clue. I bought it after being the underbidder on about 10 straight NFL pennants (mostly 49ers) and decided that I just wanted to win something.
This series is beyond rare. That's the only Oilers I've ever seen, and one of very few made for ANY teams. I do have the Steelers (equally scarce) from that series... Rob, if you are interested in that one, just shoot me a text on our ongoing thread. It will take some digging, but I know I have it in nice condition.
Old 04-18-2020, 02:55 PM

Hey Mark, you ever own this one??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image (71).jpg (18.4 KB, 259 views)
Old 04-18-2020, 03:24 PM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Correct on both counts, Mike and Marc...

The great Astronaut pennant was in my collection for many years, but finally found its proper home.

And that Cubs Catcher variation is one I've always loved, but never been able to find. It's such a toughie. Great one Mike! I bet you may also have the 1945 Cubs with Batter and Players' Names. I've never had that one either.

Ironically I am in the midst of a big sale/trade, in which I'll likely be parting with some other very rare ones. Tough to do when you're still attached, but very fortunate to have a small source of "stay at home income" during these weird and tough times.

I'll put up a few more on the BST later this weekend. Will include some nice ones at good prices. Please keep an eye out!
Looking forward!!! Let’s liberate some of those oversized beauties!!!
Old 04-18-2020, 05:47 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer05 View Post
Hey Mark, you ever own this one??
Never even seen one... That's awesome! Gotta be made by Collegiate of Ames... right?

Simply fantastic!
Old 04-18-2020, 06:13 PM
Rob

Quote:
Ha! I didn't know how rare the Oilers pennant was when I bought it, although the hammer price should have been a clue. I bought it after being the underbidder on about 10 straight NFL pennants (mostly 49ers) and decided that I just wanted to win something.
Hahaha...been there. In fact, I'm there right now.
Old 04-18-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Never even seen one... That's awesome! Gotta be made by Collegiate of Ames... right?

Simply fantastic!
You are correct, sir! This was made by Collegiate of Ames in the 1950s, around the time they were making 3-D pennants. In fact, the artwork appears to be from the same artist responsible for the Dodgers and Red Sox 3-Ds.

Collegiate Mfg. Co. was always a very military-friendly company. I can't imagine they made any money on this particular design; but, given the customer, I'm sure it was their privilege to make this one.

They made at least two variants of this design for the Navy: one for San Diego and another for Bainbridge Island, WA.
Old 04-18-2020, 09:05 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Great info...

Same artist for sure... and you're right. They probably sold very few of these. I can't imagine young Military Trainees spending their sparse expendable income on this (cool as it is). That must be one of very few survivors.
Old 04-21-2020, 04:15 PM

Default 1955 Yankee/Dodger Pennant REA Auction

Unless there is something I do not see, this pennant was an excellent buy.

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...e?itemid=66515

Jerry Sage
Old 04-21-2020, 04:23 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Completely agree Jerry...

Many people consider that one to be the most desirable and important post-war pennant. It has routinely sold for double that amount, and the consignor must've sunk a lot of dough into that framing job. It did not even have a bid until the final day!

In addition, REA described it as having a clipped tip, but it is 100% original and complete. Every example ever to surface has that same style tip, as it was made that way. Consignor can't be very happy.

Last edited by perezfan; 04-21-2020 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-21-2020, 04:51 PM

Mark -
I took another look at the pennant.
There appears to be a stain or a "faded area" - lighter shade of red.
Bottom left on the Ebbets Field graphic
Take a look and let me know what you think.
Jerry
Old 04-21-2020, 04:59 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Jerry...

I see exactly what you are describing, and truly believe that lighter patch of red is due to reflection of the glass frame. I have photographed these things countless times, and that's the exact type of reflection you just can't seem to avoid when photographing.

REA is pretty meticulous with their descriptions, and did not allude to any fading of the pennant. I am 99.9% positive they would have mentioned it if it was indeed present. Heck, they even disclosed the "clipped tip" which was not even a real condition flaw! Let's call it a blunted Fishtail (as made).

Last edited by perezfan; 04-21-2020 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Jerry...

I see exactly what you are describing, and truly believe that lighter patch of red is due to reflection of the glass frame. I have photographed these things countless times, and that's the exact type of reflection you just can't seem to avoid when photographing.

REA is pretty meticulous with their descriptions, and did not allude to any fading of the pennant. I am 99.9% positive they would have mentioned it if it was indeed present. Heck, they even disclosed the "clipped tip" which was not even a real condition flaw! Let's call it a blunted Fishtail (as made).
Okay I confess, I won it. And I have one already. (I’d really like to get a blue version.) I knew the tip was fine, it’s just like the one I have (pictured). The exact pennant in the exact same frame went for more than double on Heritage five years ago. Also Hunt sold one awhile back with the same tip. So I’ll hope for an upturn in the pennant market or look for a good trade or something. .... I didn’t want to be a pennant hog but no one was bidding on the darn thing!

(I will add that I’ve seen this without the squared off tips, the blue versions more than red but I’ve seen it red, too. Just production variability, that’s all. I think I may have even seen this completely squared off without the “notch” ... but my memory is vague.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1146F12F-C3FE-47BD-A513-A8F79F424B96.jpg (20.3 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg 0ED76CA1-B4FF-4C9F-8F70-113A5C2DE987.jpg (18.2 KB, 226 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 04-21-2020 at 05:35 PM.
Old 04-21-2020, 09:59 PM

Totally agree with you guys: none of these were clipped by the consumer.

This fishtail style was, to my knowledge, only used by Trench in 1955. Fishtails aren't unusual as concerns pennants; but, by the 1950s, they weren't real common.

What makes this pennant so unusual is that the spine is covered in real fringe; and the fishtail end is adorned with a faux-fringe that was screen printed on.

And, apparently, the "fishtailing" was done by hand at the factory in Buffalo. It looks to me like they just had someone cut a simple "V" into the end of the pennant; and, that person wasn't real consistent as to how precisely he/she cut into the end of the felt. Additionally, the screen printer may have gotten too close to the edge of the felt ... leaving the cutter little room to play with.

Since this pennant was thrown together at season's end, there probably wasn't time to redo these.

I've definitely seen some pretty clean, symmetrical versions of the blue variant. But even these two below show you how imperfect the cutting was....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image (73).jpg (19.2 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg image (74).jpg (19.9 KB, 211 views)
Old 04-21-2020, 11:26 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Totally agree with you guys: none of these were clipped by the consumer.

This fishtail style was, to my knowledge, only used by Trench in 1955. Fishtails aren't unusual as concerns pennants; but, by the 1950s, they weren't real common.

What makes this pennant so unusual is that the spine is covered in real fringe; and the fishtail end is adorned with a faux-fringe that was screen printed on.

And, apparently, the "fishtailing" was done by hand at the factory in Buffalo. It looks to me like they just had someone cut a simple "V" into the end of the pennant; and, that person wasn't real consistent as to how precisely he/she cut into the end of the felt. Additionally, the screen printer may have gotten too close to the edge of the felt ... leaving the cutter little room to play with.

Since this pennant was thrown together at season's end, there probably wasn't time to redo these.

I've definitely seen some pretty clean, symmetrical versions of the blue variant. But even these two below show you how imperfect the cutting was....
Regarding the part above in bold.... Great observation Domer!

And also to Greg's point, a couple have surfaced with no fishtail (in other words, just a very blunt end, with no "V" cutout). This would certainly lend credence to the belief that these were cut by hand at the "factory". There was a definite lack of precision, and they even missed a few altogether!
Old 04-21-2020, 11:40 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Hard to believe that Greg had to save this pennant from getting no bids (as a duplicate, no less). I was tempted to do the same when I saw it was still available for the opening bid amount. But at the time of the initial bid shutdown, I thought I still might win a couple of lots later in the night. So I stayed away, in the fear of spending too much money. Had I known I'd be shutout, I might've done the same thing as Greg!

This pennant used to cause a "bloodbath" of activity. I have noticed a slow downward trend with Brooklyn stuff in particular. Anything Brooklyn Dodgers was almost untouchable a decade ago. This included everything from the Rempel Dolls to Dodgers Pennants to Programs, Ad Signs, Uniforms, etc.

But as the last generation of fans who lived through the Ebbets Field days is now well into retirement (or has passed away), I think we have lost a significant percentage of Brooklyn collectors. Seems that way, at least.

Last edited by perezfan; 04-21-2020 at 11:41 PM.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:24 AM

Mark -
You are correct about the current lower value of Brooklyn Dodger items.
My 1955 WS Pennant sold in a Lelands Auction for a little over $1,000.
As you can see by the red staining - the condition was not great.
The one in REA was beautiful.

Also note the irregular cutting of the tip.
Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0772.jpg (75.6 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5454.jpg (70.4 KB, 211 views)
Old 04-22-2020, 02:09 PM

It used to be that a clean Emmet Kelly pennant would fetch about $300.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C6C94CDA-2C3A-4571-A029-2E9FC23BE7DF.jpg (19.8 KB, 207 views)
Old 04-22-2020, 04:12 PM
Rick

Mark, I can’t really comment on the market for Brooklyn pennants, but I believe you are correct regarding Brooklyn memorabilia in general. Richard Simon (veteran autograph dealer) made the same comment a while ago regarding autographs. While I am an avid Dodger collector, I am marginally too young to relate too much to the Brooklyn team (plus I grew up in LA). I used to collect both LA and Brooklyn because I appreciated the history of the team, but about 5 years ago I quit buying Brooklyn stuff in general and actually sold off a lot of what I already had (other than anything relating to Jackie), mainly figuring the Brooklyn collector base would begin to shrink each year as they aged and quit buying. The connection to Brooklyn is fairly weak here in LA, and a lot of fans aren't even aware that the team moved here from Brooklyn. Certain Brooklyn players like Snider and Hodges still do well because they are also known from their playing days in LA and were popular here, but I think there is a definite softening in prices for players whose careers were strictly in Brooklyn. Incidentally, I believe prices have softened for items relating to early (1958-1970) LA players as well.

Rick
Old 04-22-2020, 09:21 PM
Doug Goodman

Speaking about Dodgers pennants.

Long time lurker, infrequent poster, to this thread.

I'm going thru my pennants and have come upon these three.

The one with the play at the plate is in Egner's guide, but only as a Los Angeles version.

Neither of the other two are in there either, unless I'm missing them.

Anybody have any knowledge or thoughts? I don't really consider myself a pennant collector, although I do have some pennants.

Thanx,
Doug
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ascan 3743 on 04-16-20-small.JPG (56.8 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg Ascan 3749 on 04-16-20-small.JPG (42.3 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg Ascan 3992 on 04-18-20-small.JPG (42.0 KB, 193 views)
Old 04-22-2020, 11:04 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Doug,
All three of those pennants are very difficult and would command very good money. Condition is very nice as well. Don’t be afraid to post over here, there’s lots of good info to be had and we all love pennants.
Old 04-22-2020, 11:22 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Agree with Jason... All 3 of those are nice as well as pretty scarce.

The top one is extremely common as an LA Dodgers Pennant, but quite rare as a Brooklyn Pennant. The combination of it being Brooklyn (as opposed to LA), and having color graphics make it lots more valuable than the frequently seen LA version. It features typical AdFlag artistry, but is about 10 times rarer with colored graphics than just the usual plain white.

The "Our Champs" pennant is small (even for a 3/4 size pennant), but the rarity overcomes its rather diminutive size. I sold mine about 10 years ago, and have only seen a couple since then. It's a charming pennant that tells an endearing story... Almost certainly made prior to 1955, the Bums were perennial contenders and came close many times, but could never quite win it all. So while they were not World Champs, they were "Our Champs".

The third pennant is a somewhat rare 3/4 size variation. I've always felt it was an interesting graphic image... a fine representation of early 1950s artwork.

Very nice trio and great post!

Last edited by perezfan; 04-22-2020 at 11:25 PM.
Old 04-22-2020, 11:25 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
Doug,
All three of those pennants are very difficult and would command very good money. Condition is very nice as well. Don’t be afraid to post over here, there’s lots of good info to be had and we all love pennants.
Thank you Jason.

Any idea what years they would have been released?

I'm thinking late 50s for the green one, due to sharing artwork with the LA release.

50s, maybe 40s for the other two. I have a second "Our Champs" pennant, which is listed by Egner as 1940s, so I'm go with that.

I need to dig thru my records to see where I got them, and how they were listed. I really need to pay better attention to the stuff I pickup. Hahaha.

Last edited by doug.goodman; 04-22-2020 at 11:36 PM.
Old 04-23-2020, 12:05 AM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Agree with Jason... All 3 of those are nice as well as pretty scarce.

Very nice trio and great post!

Thank you Mark for the info, and both of you for the responses.

I'm in the process of sorting thru my stuff (as I'm sure all of us who find ourselves with unplanned vacations are doing).

I have scanned all of my pennants, but since none of them actually fit on my scanner, I am now piecing the scans together for each one. Once I have finished them all I will upload them to my flickr page, and post a link, for those who care.

If I find any others that I have questions about, I will be sure to ask.

Until them, here's another one I like, even though its bigger than all the rest, so a pain to store. I dated it to 1962 based on Feller & Jackie being the most recent inductees included.

Thanks again,
Doug
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pennant - BBHOF 1962 small.JPG (70.6 KB, 197 views)
Old 04-23-2020, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
Speaking about Dodgers pennants.

Long time lurker, infrequent poster, to this thread.

I'm going thru my pennants and have come upon these three.

The one with the play at the plate is in Egner's guide, but only as a Los Angeles version.

Neither of the other two are in there either, unless I'm missing them.

Anybody have any knowledge or thoughts? I don't really consider myself a pennant collector, although I do have some pennants.

Thanx,
Doug
Great pennants Doug. Interesting, I have the top pennant in colors, although mine are a bit faded. The cloud of dust behind the catcher in mine appears to have been a different color ... more gray than gold. Also the threads in your spine are black and mine is white. Very cool!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 90A86EAA-A166-48DE-B532-5A059C37E5FA.jpg (20.0 KB, 193 views)
Old 04-23-2020, 11:47 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahat View Post
Great pennants Doug. Interesting, I have the top pennant in colors, although mine are a bit faded. The cloud of dust behind the catcher in mine appears to have been a different color ... more gray than gold. Also the threads in your spine are black and mine is white. Very cool!
That's a nice looking variation, Greg!

I have been going through many of my 1950s - 60s pennants, and cannot believe the number of subtle color variations that exist. Even the somewhat common "Stadium" pennants can have up to 6 or 7 variations when you look closely. So many of the color combinations are actually quite scarce, if you know what to look for.

Maybe some day, more collectors will know to look for (and appreciate) some of these subtle nuances. If collecting pennants was like collecting cards, many of these rarities would sell for really big bucks. Sometimes I wish the collector base for pennants wasn't so thin, and that these things were more appreciated. But I suppose it's nice that we can still collect them for relatively cheap prices, and without such fierce competition.

Below is one such example of an otherwise common White Sox pennant. The Blue example features a white infield, and white hands and face. The red example features a tan infield, tan hands, and beige face. Both are rare with the colored graphics, as the pennant is normally found with graphics that are just white. Not sure who really cares... but for those who do, there are hundreds of other hidden rarities just waiting to be discovered.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chisox01.jpg (72.0 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg Chisox02.jpg (71.1 KB, 183 views)
Old 04-23-2020, 03:02 PM
Rob

Didn’t you mention an upcoming pennant sale, Mark?

Any Giants?
Old 04-23-2020, 04:49 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Didn’t you mention an upcoming pennant sale, Mark?

Any Giants?
Sorry Rob...

I sold/traded a bunch in an unexpected private sale, and it took lots of time. I still have quite a few available, some of which I'll try to list on B/S/T later tonight. But any Giants pennants that I would unload are ones I'm pretty sure you already have, or would not excite you much.

But I'll keep digging... thanks!
Old 04-23-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Sorry Rob...

I sold/traded a bunch in an unexpected private sale, and it took lots of time. I still have quite a few available, some of which I'll try to list on B/S/T later tonight. But any Giants pennants that I would unload are ones I'm pretty sure you already have, or would not excite you much.

But I'll keep digging... thanks!
Mark ... got any old Phillies or A’s pennants to put up for sale?

Last edited by thetahat; 04-23-2020 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-23-2020, 06:24 PM

Quote:

I have been going through many of my 1950s - 60s pennants, and cannot believe the number of subtle color variations that exist. Even the somewhat common "Stadium" pennants can have up to 6 or 7 variations when you look closely. So many of the color combinations are actually quite scarce, if you know what to look for.

Maybe some day, more collectors will know to look for (and appreciate) some of these subtle nuances. If collecting pennants was like collecting cards, many of these rarities would sell for really big bucks. Sometimes I wish the collector base for pennants wasn't so thin, and that these things were more appreciated. But I suppose it's nice that we can still collect them for relatively cheap prices, and without such fierce competition.

Below is one such example of an otherwise common White Sox pennant. The Blue example features a white infield, and white hands and face. The red example features a tan infield, tan hands, and beige face. Both are rare with the colored graphics, as the pennant is normally found with graphics that are just white. Not sure who really cares... but for those who do, there are hundreds of other hidden rarities just waiting to be discovered.
I think we can now say with confidence that those Sox pennants were made by the same company as my favorite early 50s series (same winged sock logo) and check out the Comiskey Park graphic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 268318C7-C143-4980-9B83-51A9A9CB50EF.jpg (21.7 KB, 158 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 04-23-2020 at 06:27 PM.
Old 04-23-2020, 06:35 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
I think we can now say with confidence that those Sox pennants were made by the same company as my favorite early 50s series (same winged sock logo) and check out the Comiskey Park graphic
Wow, GREAT observation... I never would have put those together!

(No A's or Phillies, but will re-look at what I should part with.) Stay tuned, Greg...

Last edited by perezfan; 04-23-2020 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-23-2020, 07:09 PM
Rob

Quote:

I'm definitely in the "caring" group. I've amused myself hunting variations like this for a while now. Don't think Joe Average Pennant collector recognizes or pays a premium for a rare variation..which is good for us in the short term. We just have to get the word out and educate collectors by the time we go to sell our collections.
Old 04-25-2020, 12:34 AM
Doug Goodman

I finished my pennant project tonight. Here they are :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/douggoodman/

I found a couple from the Brooklyn years that again I'm curious as to the thoughts of the experts who frequent this thread. They are also pictured below.

There is a 1950s 14" batter / pitcher pennant in the guide with similar artwork, but the batter's pose is different, with no flag. Also, mine is full sized.

The pins were attached to the Ebbets pennant when I got it, and I figured why take them off.

I also found a bunch of LA pennants that aren't in Egner's book, but many of them are from the 70s, when I think there are just too many to list.

Below are a few of the earlier ones. The jumping fielder I think would be from early in the LA era, because I see that as the coliseum below him.

Doug
Old 04-25-2020, 09:42 AM

Default Dodger Pennants

Doug -
WOW - VERY IMPRESSIVE DODGER PENNANT COLLECTION.
Jerry Sage
Old 04-25-2020, 10:37 AM
Rick

Doug, great collection of Dodger pennants!! I can't believe you just had these stashed away somewhere.

Rick
Old 04-25-2020, 10:46 AM

Doug:

You have a few toughies there for sure. Never seen that '62 phantom photo + sash pennant before. Trench made another phantom for the '62 Dodgers that lacked the sash + photo; but did include facsimile signatures of the players from that roster. That one, however, is the far more common of the two. Yours is quite rare.

As to that Brooklyn Dodgers pennant with the pinbacks on it ... are you certain its vintage? I am certain this was offered as a 1980s-era reproduction of a design style that, as far as I know, was never offered in the 1950s. I've heard other Brooklyn collectors debate this pennant's authenticity, so I'll be curious what others on this thread think....

Last edited by Domer05; 04-25-2020 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-25-2020, 11:47 AM
Rob

It's odd that so few of my Giants pennants share similarities with the Dodgers pennants. Whether NY or California, they were in the same region. Here's some of the few where I saw similarities. The LH batter is only similar in the font that was used by tons of teams.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2819.jpg (76.3 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (70.7 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2782.jpg (78.2 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2751.jpg (75.3 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2719.jpg (78.7 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2740.jpg (76.4 KB, 165 views)
Old 04-25-2020, 11:48 AM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Doug:

As to that Brooklyn Dodgers pennant with the pinbacks on it ... are you certain its vintage? I am certain this was offered as a 1980s-era reproduction of a design style that, as far as I know, was never offered in the 1950s. I've heard other Brooklyn collectors debate this pennant's authenticity, so I'll be curious what others on this thread think....
Thank you guys for the kind words about my collection, as to Domer's question, I'm not certain of anything having to do with pennants (or most other things, ha!).

When I was a kid, I always bought pennants when I went to games (they were $1 as I remember), then stapled them to my bedroom walls, with a big circle of them on the ceiling. I believe all of those are in my parents attic, so I suppose at some point I need to track them down. I have been picking up "collectible" pennants for many years when I liked the visual, and I thought I was getting a good price, then they would go on the stack.

I'll take a closer look at the one with the pins and maybe post some better pix, if I think there is anything to look at closer.

Just because I have no real knowledge of pennants, I have always figured that there must be something in the stack that wasn't what I thought it was, and have particularly been "concerned" that one of the 1963 WS pennants was bad. The one with the more narrow placement of the tassels, has always piqued my spidey senses. It's a very soft felt, the only "stiff" feel to any of it is where it's printed, it almost feels like patches (but it is printed). Neither has anything on the back.

Doug

PS :
Rob - I like that one with the Golden Gate bridge and the batter. I feel like I remember that one from growing up going to (contrary to my collection) Candlestick as a kid. So what if I'm a NorCal Dodger fan, what's wrong with that?

Last edited by doug.goodman; 04-25-2020 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-25-2020, 12:24 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Doug, that is a fantastic Dodgers Pennant Collection!

Some incredibly rare ones there... some of which may not surface again in the next decade. It would take forever to amass a collection like that today.

Domer was right however, about the one with the Pinbacks in it. The Pins are legit, but that particular pennant is indeed a 1980s reproduction. If you look closely, you'll see the felt is different, and there are probably a few of them on eBay as we speak. Seems like half of the eBay Sellers properly describe them as Repros, and half just let it slide.

But all the others are 100% original and magnificent. Thanks for sharing those incredible treasures with us!
Old 04-25-2020, 12:28 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
Thank you guys for the kind words about my collection, as to Domer's question, I'm not certain of anything having to do with pennants (or most other things, ha!).

When I was a kid, I always bought pennants when I went to games (they were $1 as I remember), then stapled them to my bedroom walls, with a big circle of them on the ceiling. I believe all of those are in my parents attic, so I suppose at some point I need to track them down. I have been picking up "collectible" pennants for many years when I liked the visual, and I thought I was getting a good price, then they would go on the stack.

I'll take a closer look at the one with the pins and maybe post some better pix, if I think there is anything to look at closer.

Just because I have no real knowledge of pennants, I have always figured that there must be something in the stack that wasn't what I thought it was, and have particularly been "concerned" that one of the 1963 WS pennants was bad. The one with the more narrow placement of the tassels, has always piqued my spidey senses. It's a very soft felt, the only "stiff" feel to any of it is where it's printed, it almost feels like patches (but it is printed). Neither has anything on the back.

Doug

PS :
Rob - I like that one with the Golden Gate bridge and the batter. I feel like I remember that one from growing up going to (contrary to my collection) Candlestick as a kid. So what if I'm a NorCal Dodger fan, what's wrong with that?
Good senses... The narrow tassels version is the reproduction. Mitchell & Ness did this with the majority of their offerings, and it is the first tip-off that the pennant isn't vintage.

Some original pennants had the two sets of tassels placed close together like that, but they were from the 1940s and 50s (and typically featured the thinner "Spaghetti Tassels"). That phenomenon disappeared later in the '50s, and was beyond extinct by 1963 (the supposed year of that pennant).

Last edited by perezfan; 04-25-2020 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-25-2020, 12:54 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Domer was right however, about the one with the Pinbacks in it. The Pins are legit, but that particular pennant is indeed a 1980s reproduction. If you look closely, you'll see the felt is different, and there are probably a few of them on eBay as we speak. Seems like half of the eBay Sellers properly describe them as Repros, and half just let it slide.
Quote:
Good senses... The narrow tassels version is the reproduction. Mitchell & Ness did this with the majority of their offerings, and it is the first tip-off that the pennant isn't vintage.

Some original pennants had the two sets of tassels placed close together like that, but they were from the 1940s and 50s (and typically featured the thinner "Spaghetti Tassels"). That phenomenon disappeared later in the '50s, and was beyond extinct by 1963 (the supposed year of that pennant).
Thank you very much for the info.

The knowledge on the board never fails to astound me.

I appreciate all the help from you guys.

Doug
Old 04-25-2020, 01:30 PM

Another thing to look for as far as determining repro vs legit ... the thread used to sew the spine. By the 80s they were using a plastic-like thread. Hard to describe but when you compare to vintage pennants it jumps out at you.

Here are other repros, maybe from the same lot, often they are passed on as “vintage” on eBay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 985B4905-BB41-4D2D-960D-10D66F7A4660.jpg (19.6 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg 975C1D49-0F85-45CE-91A7-B1F9F8E487BB.jpg (14.0 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg 55BB4DEB-07B4-4C9E-A6E8-ED8496C06E18.jpg (19.2 KB, 156 views)
Old 04-25-2020, 01:49 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Another thing to look for as far as determining repro vs legit ... the thread used to sew the spine. By the 80s they were using a plastic-like thread. Hard to describe but when you compare to vintage pennants it jumps out at you.
Thank you.

My main way of avoiding repros, which I have to say after the comments on this thread about my collection have shown that I have done a pretty good job of, is in regards to purchasing habits. I made the decision long ago to buy mostly from well know and / or reputable sellers. If anything gives me pause, I just avoid it. "Auction fever" is not my style.

I have learned in my quest for baseball magazine supplements that there is always another one lurking in the future. Although that Newcombe portrait version m114 that I missed will keep bugging me until that legendary "another one" finally makes an appearance. Hahaha.
Old 04-25-2020, 04:27 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Doug,
You have a really great pennant collection. I’m a big fan. You have some real tough ones in that group. I like the fact that you have so many examples. I have a number of similar Yankees ones that match some of yours. Great group.
Old 04-25-2020, 04:39 PM
Rob

Quote:

Here are other repros, maybe from the same lot, often they are passed on as “vintage” on eBay
The New York Giants isn’t even a good looking pennant.
Old 04-25-2020, 05:02 PM
Marc

I agree with everyone here, Doug. Nice thorough Dodgers collection.

Based on some of your other posts, I was hoping to hear that you picked these up traveling around the country for music related events.
Old 04-25-2020, 05:19 PM

This one’s a bit late but I’m watching a documentary on the history of the STL Browns and snapped this pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F3E80849-E149-4431-86DB-FD85BB81257C.jpg (20.2 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg 017F1E66-1F05-4CBA-A584-47D834DCEC72.jpg (19.6 KB, 144 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 04-25-2020 at 05:22 PM.
Old 04-25-2020, 05:50 PM

Regarding pennant colors ... here’s one that looks spray painted instead of screened.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3FEABCEF-4DA3-4266-BB9B-A5B2129F1EB5.jpg (20.5 KB, 147 views)
Old 04-25-2020, 06:06 PM
Rob

Quote:
Regarding pennant colors ... here’s one that looks spray painted instead of screened.
I would guess airbrushed. Nice pennant!
Old 04-25-2020, 06:19 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
regarding pennant colors ... Here’s one that looks spray painted instead of screened.
love it !!!
Old 04-25-2020, 06:55 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
I agree with everyone here, Doug. Nice thorough Dodgers collection.

Based on some of your other posts, I was hoping to hear that you picked these up traveling around the country for music related events.
Sadly, I'm not sure that I have ever picked one up on the road, and I have been to hundreds of baseball card stores (back when they still existed) and hundreds of second hand stores / antique malls (one of my bosses, the one who likes Disneyland, loves stopping at them on our drives).

But, never having found one doesn't stop me from always looking.

Doug

Last edited by doug.goodman; 04-25-2020 at 06:55 PM.