NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 05-26-2014, 08:53 AM
John

Default Let's go one step further

If Derek Jeter played 24 years like Pete Rose, do you think he would've caught him for most hits lifetime?

thanks,
john
Old 05-26-2014, 09:39 AM
Jason Presley

No. Pete just played a lot more games. Jeter doesn't have a single 162 under his belt, Rose had 8. Jeter just wouldn't have enough games under his belt to get there.

Last edited by DaClyde; 05-26-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:41 AM
Alex

I remember when he used to be on pace to break that record. I think that Jeter could have done it if given the ABs. However Rose was willing to change positions and switch teams. Jeter was only willing to play SS for the Yankees.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:22 AM
Jason Presley

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards View Post
I remember when he used to be on pace to break that record. I think that Jeter could have done it if given the ABs. However Rose was willing to change positions and switch teams. Jeter was only willing to play SS for the Yankees.
Yes, Rose was basically the sport's greatest utility player whereas Jeter is ONLY a shortstop. If Rose had played in the AL at all in his career, he might have added another 200 hits to his total as a DH. Either Jeter just doesn't like to DH, or the Yankees think they should have a .220-.240 hitting power guy in there out of a sense of tradition. Neither attitude benefits the team or helps Jeter get to 4000 hits.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:54 PM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaClyde View Post
Yes, Rose was basically the sport's greatest utility player whereas Jeter is ONLY a shortstop. If Rose had played in the AL at all in his career, he might have added another 200 hits to his total as a DH. Either Jeter just doesn't like to DH, or the Yankees think they should have a .220-.240 hitting power guy in there out of a sense of tradition. Neither attitude benefits the team or helps Jeter get to 4000 hits.

Jason - It seems that most teams like power hitters as DH regardless of average. That has never made sense to me. There was a time when Jeter would have been a good OBP guy at DH.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 05-27-2014, 06:18 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Jeter would have caught Rose if Jeter had the drive to last in the game for as long as it would take to catch Rose, regardless of where or how he played. Rose would have kept going if he could have found a team to take him. Jeter doesn't have that mentality, so he is going out now as a decent player but on his own terms. More power to him for that. You don't want to see another Rickey Henderson situation, trucking around indie minors teams trying to find any MLB club to take him. That's just sad IMO.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-27-2014 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:42 AM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Jeter would have caught Rose if Jeter had the drive to last in the game for as long as it would take to catch Rose.

I disagree. Jeter is a shell of what he once was, plus he missed too much time recently. Rose was still producing at the age of 40.

Jeter is retiring because he isn't good anymore. What is sad is Jeter starting the All Star game in 2014.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-29-2014, 08:07 AM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewing View Post
I disagree. Jeter is a shell of what he once was, plus he missed too much time recently. Rose was still producing at the age of 40.

Jeter is retiring because he isn't good anymore. What is sad is Jeter starting the All Star game in 2014.

I agree. I am not a fan of these farewell tours. By doing them the focus is more on the player and less on the team.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 05-29-2014, 01:23 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
What is sad is Jeter starting the All Star game in 2014.
I disagree, the AS game is an exhibition for the fans, if they want to see him him play, more power to 'em.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:38 PM
Dave

Quote:
I agree. I am not a fan of these farewell tours. By doing them the focus is more on the player and less on the team.

I agree and I'm a Yankee fan. I love both Mo Rivera and Jetes, but I wish they would have waited until both their respective seasons were over, or at least the last week or so if they aren't in a pennant race, to announce their retirements...and just throw one big bash at the end.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:04 PM
Alex

I often think back to Tony Gwynn's farewell tour and shake my head. Teams went the whole nine yards for Ripken but didn't do much for Gwynn.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 05-29-2014, 07:16 PM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
I disagree, the AS game is an exhibition for the fans, if they want to see him him play, more power to 'em.

If only it was an exhibition, I would agree with you. It decides home field advantage in the WS, therefore it is not an exhibition.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:18 PM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
I agree and I'm a Yankee fan. I love both Mo Rivera and Jetes, but I wish they would have waited until both their respective seasons were over, or at least the last week or so if they aren't in a pennant race, to announce their retirements...and just throw one big bash at the end.

25 years ago today Mike Schmidt retired. There was no farewell tour.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:35 AM
Alex

Quote:
25 years ago today Mike Schmidt retired. There was no farewell tour.

I was too young to remember that but I remember that Griffey went out the same way. One day he was just gone. Griffey still has the prettiest swing I have ever seen. I regret that I never saw him play in person.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 06-01-2014, 12:04 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

Quote:
I was too young to remember that but I remember that Griffey went out the same way. One day he was just gone. Griffey still has the prettiest swing I have ever seen. I regret that I never saw him play in person.
Griffey was my favorite player by far. I had the pleasure of seeing him play in 4 different games. I like to say I saw him hit for the cycle in my life. One hit in each game I saw him. One single, one double, one triple and one HR. ( he did have another single in the HR game). The HR he hit passed Frank Robinson on the all time list so that was pretty cool.

Sorry to hijack the thread but like I said Jr was my baseball hero
Drew
Old 06-02-2014, 12:17 AM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Jeter would have caught Rose if Jeter had the drive to last in the game for as long as it would take to catch Rose, regardless of where or how he played. Rose would have kept going if he could have found a team to take him. Jeter doesn't have that mentality, so he is going out now as a decent player but on his own terms. More power to him for that. You don't want to see another Rickey Henderson situation, trucking around indie minors teams trying to find any MLB club to take him. That's just sad IMO.
Adam, I respect your opinion, but I don't think it's sad at all the way Henderson left the game. As far as I know, he didn't need the money, but just wanted to play for as long as he could and for the most part, he succeeded. I can see if Henderson just stuck around for money purposes only, but he was a legend that truly loved to play and be around ball players. During his last year or two I remember ESPN showing some highlights of him still playing and being around his minor league teammates and he couldn't have been happier...he is a true idol of mine and his passion for the game is something to be admired. I think a lot of people assume things should happen a certain way and when it doesn't, something is wrong...I just don't believe that is true. I applaud guys like Jamie Moyer, Pete Rose, and Rickey Henderson for trying to play until nothing was left in the tank. True ballplayers if you ask me.

It seems like these days in any sport if you are past your prime, you have a very small leash and will most likely be passed over by a younger player...even if you have some game left in ya. I guess it is what it is.
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 06-02-2014, 06:51 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Henderson May Have Taken a Cue From The Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakhappy View Post
Adam, I respect your opinion, but I don't think it's sad at all the way Henderson left the game. As far as I know, he didn't need the money, but just wanted to play for as long as he could and for the most part, he succeeded. I can see if Henderson just stuck around for money purposes only, but he was a legend that truly loved to play and be around ball players. During his last year or two I remember ESPN showing some highlights of him still playing and being around his minor league teammates and he couldn't have been happier...he is a true idol of mine and his passion for the game is something to be admired. I think a lot of people assume things should happen a certain way and when it doesn't, something is wrong...I just don't believe that is true. I applaud guys like Jamie Moyer, Pete Rose, and Rickey Henderson for trying to play until nothing was left in the tank. True ballplayers if you ask me.

It seems like these days in any sport if you are past your prime, you have a very small leash and will most likely be passed over by a younger player...even if you have some game left in ya. I guess it is what it is.

I have to agree with Mike (not that that is a bad thing).

Consider the career of Joe McGinnity. He didn't hit the bigs until age 28 after a brief three year career in the minors. In ten years he pitched 3400+ innings to earn his HOF credentials.

And then he pitched until he was 54 in the minor leagues recording another 3400+ innings after his last pitch in the bigs.

At the age of 52 he threw over 200 innings in the Class D Mississippi Valley League in 1923.

I'm not sure but is there another HOFer who recorded more time in the minors than in the majors?

Obviously he wasn't hanging around for the money, but he pitched over 7000 innings most of which were on the downhill side of his career and he did it without "Tommy John" surgery.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 06-02-2014 at 06:52 AM.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:35 PM
Alex

Frank - I never knew that about McGinnity. What an interesting life.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 06-05-2014, 10:39 AM

I like to think about what Ichiro would have done if he spent his entire career in America. I've got to assume he would have somewhere around 4,500 hits right now playing 30 extra games a year in the majors than in Japan.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:52 AM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I like to think about what Ichiro would have done if he spent his entire career in America. I've got to assume he would have somewhere around 4,500 hits right now playing 30 extra games a year in the majors than in Japan.
I think Ichiro would be the all-time hits leader. When he came to America he was amazing to watch. I cannot imagine what he must have been like years earlier.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6