NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-21-2016, 01:37 PM

Default Table Dealers at Local Shows

I just went to the White Plains show at the Westchester County Center and I have to say I was disappointed but not surprised by the general attitude of most of the dealers there. Ever since I was a kid - the dealers I've dealt with have been - for the most part - really standoffish and kind of always had this "I don't have time for you" kind of attitude. I came to the show ready to spend several thousand dollars on some tougher Ted Williams cards but about 90% of the dealers acted like they were too busy sorting through their own cards to give me the time of day. I also overheard several dealers complaining about how they hadn't done any business that day - 5 dollars here, 5 dollars there. So it seems odd that me coming in, ready with cash would be so off-putting to them. I can't figure out if these guys are just amateurs and/or upset about eBay crushing their margin but it's really sucking the fun out of the collecting experience for me. There were certainly a few terrific exceptions but for the most part the show was chalk full of overweight jerks thumbing through cards with their heads down. I didn't experience this at the national whatsoever so maybe it's a local thing but I have to wonder if there is something about the stage of the hobby that attracts jerks who also seem to have little care for the success of their business. This isn't even getting into the issue of every dealer listing an absurd "book" price for beat up cards and then giving me equally absurd discounted prices. Anyway, I want to know if others share this experience.

Last edited by kevinlenane; 03-21-2016 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:07 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Hey Kevin , I've noticed it but not from everyone . But most of the time I give them the benefit of the doubt . I usally don't have a problem getting attention . The problems start once I get the attention .

One you already touched on . The prices are so off . I really think that the seller thinks most of the people there are idiots . So they really try to get book value for beat cards .

I don't think they care about eBay lol. If they did they would know that I don't have to spend my money with them . And this is why you should have your stuff priced to sell .

One time I went to the white plains show it was the east coast nathional . I seen a guy with a few things I liked . And YES what a pain to get his attention but I waited patiently . Finlley when he decided it was time to talk face to face and not from across a few tables he came over . I ask the price on a few cards (which I hate to do, they should be priced) . He gave me crazy prices and then when I told him I wanted a card he told me .........it was not for sale !!!! Wtf kind of business method is that . I was at the show with some friends so I asked them to ask about the card . They did and he gave them a better price .

Now I kinda feel like it was racism. I look like I'm of Spanish decent but I'm not . My friends are German and polish .
Old 03-21-2016, 02:08 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

A lot of dealers have acted like that for years and years. I've had people come to my table and sell me items so they specifically would not have to deal with people like this.

I can understand someone having a bad attitude if they did not sell full time or just set up for the fun of it or to buy items, but if you are a full time dealer it makes no sense. It really makes no sense period as you are setting up a booth for the purpose of selling items. I can't comment on prices as I have always felt people can price their items at whatever they want, but to lower your chances of selling items and losing money on the show is just stupid. Still happens at every show I go to.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:26 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I went to the Westchester show last year and had a pretty similar experience. I realize a lot of people are tire kickers with no real intention of doing a transaction, but lots of the guys did seem like they had something better to do than deal with me. Sort of if they don't know you they don't make an effort Realize they have no clue if I have $5 or $5000 in my pocket. Remember a few times where I couldn't even find the person whose table it was until someone at a nearby table started yelling "hey Bob .... Bob .... you have someone who is looking for ...." I had a decent bankroll to spent but wasn't getting a lot of attention from the supposed sellers. I also found many insanely overpriced. I remember someone had a 48 Leaf A that looked like it had been on the heel of a shoe for the last six months and he wanted $6500 I think.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:28 PM
Don Hontz

I have been setting up at shows since 1978---I always feel I am pleasant to my customers---I was at the White Plains show last weekend and I always greet customers and try to help them the best I can---I have 90% graded cards and they are all priced---I have lessor conditions cards in my half price bins and try to help everybody. And Yes, I could lose maybe 10 lbs.---I helped one new customer and I had to work with him---He bought a high priced card both days--On the first one, a 51 Bowman low grade Mantle, he didn't feel comfortable and said cards could be replaced in cases. I said, take the card to SGC and they will check it out and make you feel better that it was a original card---He did and came back and gave me a thumbs up--The next day he bought a 51 Bowman Mays.---Two great sales for me---But again, I feel the dealers at White Plains were very good---I see them greeting customers and trying to make sales. Yes, over the years, some dealers are not friendly, but if we set up at a show and have to pay big money for booths, hotels, etc. we certainly want to make sales or we wouldn't be there---So next time, stop by my booth and I will certainly try to sell you some cards.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:54 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Crazy thing about posting silly book values is this isn't 1975 .... I can call VCP up on my phone in a minute. I will allow room for some puffery as we call it in law school contracts class, but feed me some heavy duty BS and I'm done looking at your stuff.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:55 PM

I agree the book values thing just irritates me - its like pricing something at 999.99. Its such a dumb trick and it is insulting just to see it - but that was such a minor issue compared to all the puffery and attitude I was getting. This kind of attitude is clearly helping them feel kind of "big-time" but it is just so transparent and detrimental to not only their business but the hobby as a whole. I also agree on the point of pricing and the fact that is so much HIGHER than Ebay. I actually went to the show because I wanted to support the small guys and I guess I knew things would be a little on the high side but it really should be the reverse.

There were definitely a few awesome exceptions including one guy who had a low grade 54 Bowman Ted that I almost bought. We shot the shit and told stories about various cards and shared some cool experiences about unopened vintage wax so that was fun but I had to wade through a sea of jerks to find that guy and a few others. Next time i go to an area show Im going to find this guy and buy from him.

I actually wound up in one case buying two cards for $700-$800 that were definitely overpriced (a low grade Ted Red-Man and a mid grade Ted 1950 Bowman) but I bought them from one of the three guys that actually stooped so low as to be friendly. I also felt like I wanted to help him out bc I had overheard him telling another dealer he hadn't done a single sale all day. Anyway, I guess I just wish the shows were more fun and everyone could be personable and helpful. I did have a BLAST talking with those few sellers who were helpful and clearly having fun so I suppose i can just find "my guys" the next time I go.

Last edited by kevinlenane; 03-21-2016 at 05:59 PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:11 PM
Ben North

We have not had a card show anywhere close for so long I wouldn't even mind putting up with some jerks just to go to a local show.

This eBay price comparison is one of my pet peeves. eBay is a garage sale at best. There is no way a real dealer that pays taxes and fees can compare with some want to be dealer selling out of his parents basement who pays absolutely no fees, taxes, or the ton of other costs that go with running a real business. End of rant.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:51 PM

I guess i agree with your Ebay rant - ive come to expect it in smaller shows- but ALL these dealers also sell on Ebay so it shouldnt be miles off like it is. It kind of feels like they have specific card show inventory that they bring in ungraded and jack up so you couldn't comparison shop if you wanted to.

However I should make it a point that NONE of this is what truly bothered me about the show - its just the attitude that just kills the joy for me and its entirely unnecessary. Im happy and willing to pay a small premium for an enjoyable personal experience but its a trade i dont often get. For the record I spent an hour and 45 minutes on various trains from Brooklyn to get there so
Old 03-21-2016, 08:02 PM
Brian clif.ford

Yea I don't understand dealers with poor customer service. I've literally overpaid to buy cards from dealers who are pleasant to deal with. I'd rather support them.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:09 AM

Default Don is the best!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donscards View Post
I have been setting up at shows since 1978---I always feel I am pleasant to my customers---I was at the White Plains show last weekend and I always greet customers and try to help them the best I can---I have 90% graded cards and they are all priced---I have lessor conditions cards in my half price bins and try to help everybody. And Yes, I could lose maybe 10 lbs.---I helped one new customer and I had to work with him---He bought a high priced card both days--On the first one, a 51 Bowman low grade Mantle, he didn't feel comfortable and said cards could be replaced in cases. I said, take the card to SGC and they will check it out and make you feel better that it was a original card---He did and came back and gave me a thumbs up--The next day he bought a 51 Bowman Mays.---Two great sales for me---But again, I feel the dealers at White Plains were very good---I see them greeting customers and trying to make sales. Yes, over the years, some dealers are not friendly, but if we set up at a show and have to pay big money for booths, hotels, etc. we certainly want to make sales or we wouldn't be there---So next time, stop by my booth and I will certainly try to sell you some cards.
Don, you're the best dealer out there bar none. And you look fine ie you don't need to lose any lbs.

Seriously folks, I've known this guy for years and there isn't a nicer, better guy in this hobby filled with more unscrupulous characters than good ones. If you haven't bought from him, you should. A class act, period. (Okay don, you can send me that $ via paypal gift now lol).

http://www.ebay.com/sch/donscards7/m...p2047675.l2562
Old 03-22-2016, 07:07 AM
Bob McLean

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlenane View Post
I guess i agree with your Ebay rant - ive come to expect it in smaller shows- but ALL these dealers also sell on Ebay so it shouldnt be miles off like it is. It kind of feels like they have specific card show inventory that they bring in ungraded and jack up so you couldn't comparison shop if you wanted to.

However I should make it a point that NONE of this is what truly bothered me about the show - its just the attitude that just kills the joy for me and its entirely unnecessary. Im happy and willing to pay a small premium for an enjoyable personal experience but its a trade i dont often get. For the record I spent an hour and 45 minutes on various trains from Brooklyn to get there so
Maybe they are there to buy for their ebay business. Does seem that people selling their goods to a dealer would rather deal with someone who isn't sucking lemons all the time.

I've noticed it too, but have become resigned to the fact that certain dealers are just sour pusses. I'm usually too busy at my table to play games. If you are slack at the big shows you will have a lot of theft, you have some even if you are vigilant. Stick with the guys you are comfortable with, but you will find that at times the guys with the bad attitude have cards you will need. Just keep your cool and deal with them.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:06 AM
Don Hontz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonmarathonman View Post
Don, you're the best dealer out there bar none. And you look fine ie you don't need to lose any lbs.

Seriously folks, I've known this guy for years and there isn't a nicer, better guy in this hobby filled with more unscrupulous characters than good ones. If you haven't bought from him, you should. A class act, period. (Okay don, you can send me that $ via paypal gift now lol).

http://www.ebay.com/sch/donscards7/m...p2047675.l2562
Thanks David You are too good to me--I look forward to seeing you next month---you are always a pleasure to talk with about the hobby--Sure wish I could buy some of your great stuff. Don
Old 03-22-2016, 11:32 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
We have not had a card show anywhere close for so long I wouldn't even mind putting up with some jerks just to go to a local show.

This eBay price comparison is one of my pet peeves. eBay is a garage sale at best. There is no way a real dealer that pays taxes and fees can compare with some want to be dealer selling out of his parents basement who pays absolutely no fees, taxes, or the ton of other costs that go with running a real business. End of rant.
Back when I was a "want to be" dealer I always priced my stuff just like a real dealer would. Even at the flea market. If the guy in a shop a mile away can get $10 why shouldn't I?

And buying cards for an inventory costs the part timers just as much, maybe more.

The only reason to underprice stuff is if you want to show a low selling price when you try to buy stuff. And that's a losing game.

I also see loads if stuff on Ebay that's more than it is other places. I did fairly well buying stuff from dealers and reselling it on Ebay when I was more active and there were more dealers. (Same for buying stuff at and selling it at a different show, although I usually bought stuff to keep.)

Steve B
Old 03-22-2016, 01:28 PM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Yall should just come down to Texas. We, for the most part, are quite pleasant to deal with.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:46 PM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxcat View Post
Yall should just come down to Texas. We, for the most part, are quite pleasant to deal with.
+!
Old 03-22-2016, 01:52 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

I was at the Chicago show last weekend and, for the most part, had a very pleasant experience. There are some guys like William (forgot his last name) from Indiana who is very fair to deal with and very accommodating. Jeff from Card Country has actually become someone I'd call a friend - he's incredibly nice, fair, and has great cards. There was only one dealer who wouldn't give me the time of day, which is sad, as I went there specifically to buy a four-figure card he had listed on eBay. Even as I visited his large booth twice, he didn't acknowledge me once, so I walked away without buying. Sometimes the "stuff" isn't worth the hassle.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:49 PM
Val Kehl

Sam, I suspect that you are referring to William Chappell of Bluffton, Indiana, who is always attentive to his potential customers and enjoyable to chat with at the Chantilly, VA, shows.
Val
Old 03-22-2016, 05:01 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Yes, Val! That's the William. Seems like I've made a purchase from him at every Chicago show and National for the last few shows. He seems to have a constant stream of nice cards, at fair prices.

I imagine the more hospitable dealers not only do better on the selling side but the buying side as well; hence the stream of inventory.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:15 AM
Rich Klein

When I'm both promoting and setting up at a show I can not be as talkative to collectors as I would wish. However, fine dealer/Collectors like Matt (Laxcat) take up that slack for me.

BTW -- Matt I will have more cards for you the next time I see you. That stream I can always find you more cards at no matter what, even when I start a show with nothing. Last show Roger N took care of the majority and then my former Beckett teammate Jeff got you a few more

Rich

Last edited by Rich Klein; 03-23-2016 at 07:15 AM.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:23 AM

Our experience with card dealers at shows and flea markets has been disappointingly, annoyingly similar to Kevin's. No excuse for it.
It often seems they've gone out of their way to be inattentive, uncooperative, condescending, and unfriendly for the sole purpose of
later being able to grouse about how little they sold.

There was a thread here last fall asking for advice for "first-timers" setting up at a card show. All the good advice given there in reply
seems to us to be good advice for any dealer, whether they've set up once or a thousand times, and we'd put things like "a friendly attitude"
and "acknowledge every potential customer" at the top of the list, with "realistic prices" and "prices clearly marked" close behind...
http://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=213413
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl
Old 03-23-2016, 09:52 AM
Ed
Ed DeS.erio

That was the first time I had done this show in quite a bit to get rid of some stuff. I am sure I spoke to some of you and cant say I witnessed any of the references. For me this is all fun which I had. The people I was with were good company. there are definitely quite a few guys that still dont get it and pay $400+ a table and have garbage. That is just something to expect.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:04 PM
Ed Woelfle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
I was at the Chicago show last weekend and, for the most part, had a very pleasant experience. There are some guys like William (forgot his last name) from Indiana who is very fair to deal with and very accommodating. Jeff from Card Country has actually become someone I'd call a friend - he's incredibly nice, fair, and has great cards. There was only one dealer who wouldn't give me the time of day, which is sad, as I went there specifically to buy a four-figure card he had listed on eBay. Even as I visited his large booth twice, he didn't acknowledge me once, so I walked away without buying. Sometimes the "stuff" isn't worth the hassle.
William Chappell.

And the one who didn't give you the time of day - was he wearing a cheap tacky looking red top hat? It's usually Levi/707 and his nose is usually buried into his laptop to pay any attention to people at his tables.