NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-01-2009, 07:27 AM

Default Ebay - Paypal Seller protection? Really?

A very good friend of mine (not me for once) got burned badly by the gent who's name and info is posted at the end of this thread. He was hoping he was protected by paypal or ebay and both let him down. Any help, suggestions, or knowledge about the fraudulent buyer will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

"Sold T206 Ty Cobb Green Portrait PSA 5 on April 20th for $5500. on ebay to buyer bidsformore. Buyer paid via paypal on April 27th and card was shipped fully insured via express mail and was signed for and delivered on April 30th. After almost two months pass by the buyer files a chargeback with american express stating the buyer claims that the item was damaged on receipt or is significantly not as described. So after almost two months pass with NO contact from buyer stating to me the seller there was a problem with the package or the item was damaged since it was fully insured with the post office he files a chargeback. Once the chargeback was filed paypal immediately cancelled a bank transfer of $1800+ from my account as well as giving me a negative $-3700. balance which paypal wants me to immediately pay. Spoke to supervisor at paypal and they told me since buyer claims it was not as described the best case scenario for me is too have my card returned as there is no chance of getting my money back. The other great news is that so called seller protection policy they claim to have is NOT covered when a buyer claims the item is not as described. Again this was a graded card from PSA!! This buyer bidsformore on ebay last five feedbacks are all negatives from buyers who were scammed from this guy. It's great to see paypal and ebay are again looking out for the best interest of there sellers!!! Make sure you stay clear of this fraud!! By the way the PSA 5 Green Cobb's serial number is 09032078 with a sweet caporal 150 back as I am sure he sold the card within this two month timetable. Here is this Fraud's info where the card was delivered and the info which was given on his ebay account."
Shaunt Azadian
233 N. Maclay Ave. #147
San Fernando, CA 91340
818-402-8786
Old 07-01-2009, 07:36 AM
Matt Wieder

I knew that username was familiar - he bought a 1915 CJ Cobb from me on eBay via Best Offer a few months ago; two weeks went by and he never paid so I filed a non-paying bidder strike against him and relisted the card. I guess I should be thankful that he didn't pay!

This is where eBay is really bad - while they put some effort into looking at individual listings and transactions, it seems they put no effort into identifying patterns of bad behavior. 3 consecutive negatives from different members (or even 3 out of 6) should get you banned. This guy has 5 negs and at least 1 non-paying strike against him and still has an active account.

Last edited by Matt; 07-01-2009 at 07:38 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:03 AM
T!M R10rd@n

In this case a check of the buyers feedback would have raised some serious red flags.

Based on that I would have refunded the payment and not shipped to the buyer.

Last edited by timzcardz; 07-01-2009 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Deleted an extra "not"
Old 07-01-2009, 08:06 AM

I agree Tim, paypal and or ebay should have looked into the buyer a little but then the $5500 needs to come from somewhere and at that point, they would be eating it as the credit card company took the $5500 back from paypal.

What my friend has done is completely stopped selling on ebay so they only will beat him out of the $1800 paypal stole from him by freezing the transfer.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:30 AM
C.urt Sch.midg.@ll

So did the seller get his card back? If not, why was he still penalized? Stories like that make me sick.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:36 AM

no card back at all, he is expecting an empty box with signature confirmation but he hasn't even received that!! And paypal won't give him the credit card info for him to contact the credit card company and let them know they are protecting a fraud.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:43 AM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

Scary and depressing story! That is a nice loophole in their policy. After searching the net, I found a few more paypal horror stories that were eerily similar. Seems like this scam is slowly spreading. Paypal is obviously aware of it, but since they cannot control the credit card companies......well, as Dan mentioned the money has to come from somewhere.

http://ask.metafilter.com/77638/Can-...t-can-go-wrong

I think this "loophole" finally puts the nail in the eBay coffin for me. Way too risky to fall prey to this scam on big ticket items. I will still sell on eBay, but nothing over ~$150 (with fingers crossed). Matt was real lucky, "bidsformore" obviously did not have the funds to pay for his CJ (or else we would probably be hearing the same story from him). Until paypal corrects this, it will only drive more sellers toward auction houses.

So get off that recliner and start working-out......those auction catalogs are going to get even heavier. Now, what was the name of that auction link by that Lucky fellow???

Lovely Day...

Last edited by iggyman; 07-01-2009 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:54 AM
James Gallo

I am sorry this it total BS. This guy should not even have an active account. If he hasn't contacted ebay I would do so, at the very least this guys account should be killed.

As suggested I would follow up with the post office and open that box in front of a postmaster and have them write a letter stating there was no card inside.

James G
Old 07-01-2009, 03:13 PM

Default This gets better!! Update!!!!!!

Dan, I had a detective from the San Fernando police department pay a visit to the buyers confirmed address and found out that address is a UPS store. The owner is a Mario Hernandez and A. Hernandez who signed for the package from the post office is his daughter. However when the owner of this UPS box came in to pick up the package the owner or daughter of the UPS store did not obtain a signature from the person picking up the package. My first question is how can a UPS store be someone's confirmed address by paypal?? Next how can a UPS store owner allow someone to pickup an express mail package insured for $5000. without obtaining a signature??
Old 07-01-2009, 03:14 PM

How does paypal consider a UPS store a confirmed address for an individual??????? This is utter theft and fraud by paypal and ebay!
Old 07-01-2009, 03:40 PM
David

Perhaps the UPS store owner has a fake box in his own store and picked up his package from himself and he forgot to have himself sign for the package so that in the event he is caught he will at most be chastised for not having himself sign for his package. And it disappears and is laundered like a dirty $twenty. I'd say look into the financials of the UPS store and see if its losing money and needed a cash injection of $5k or so to pay rent. Also maybe someone should raid the guys house to see if Mr. Hernandez collects baseball cards! haha

Last edited by daviddbreadman; 07-01-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:51 PM
D.B. Cooper

Default Chicks dig thieves

Google search for this Shaunt Azadian reveals....

http://www.armeniansconnect.com/prof...UserSid=211619

p.s. By his own admission, he's "intellegent"

Last edited by Anthony S.; 07-01-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:49 PM
Peter Spaeth

Paypal is not equipped to referee disputes, so it is just going to rely on default rules (e.g. a buyer claiming an item is not as described is always right). The only recourse may be to go after the buyer, either civilly or through the authorities.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:04 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddbreadman View Post
Perhaps the UPS store owner has a fake box in his own store and picked up his package from himself and he forgot to have himself sign for the package so that in the event he is caught he will at most be chastised for not having himself sign for his package. And it disappears and is laundered like a dirty $twenty. I'd say look into the financials of the UPS store and see if its losing money and needed a cash injection of $5k or so to pay rent. Also maybe someone should raid the guys house to see if Mr. Hernandez collects baseball cards! haha
Very likely scenario. Almost as likely as what happened -- a fraud was committed by Mr. Azadian, who has a box at the UPS store.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmckee View Post
My first question is how can a UPS store be someone's confirmed address by paypal?? Next how can a UPS store owner allow someone to pickup an express mail package insured for $5000. without obtaining a signature??
Dan,

Regarding your first question: My PayPal address is the address I use at my UPS store to receive packages. My guess is that it's not that unusual. I think by "confirmed address" PayPal wants an address at which items can be delivered (and not necessarily the account owner's residential address). I did not always have my UPS store address as my PayPal address, but if I remember correctly, it wasn't tough to switch. I'm not saying whether it's right or wrong, just that it's not an indication that someone's trying to pull a fast one.

Regarding your second question, I've never had to sign for a package that I've picked up at my UPS store address. The UPS store signs for it on delivery, and all of the employees there know me, and they give me my packages. I've asked other people who have UPS mailboxes, and this seems to be standard operating procedure. I don't agree that it's a good policy, because the store has no protection if a week after I pick up a package I go back to them and say I didn't get it. There are some weeks where I might pick up 7-10 packages, and they're not keeping track of any of them. I would much rather they keep a log to protect both them and me. What happens if they sign for a package, and it gets misplaced? I have no proof that I didn't pick it up.

So though I don't think it's a good system, I also don't think it's automatically a red flag that some kind of fraud has taken place.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:03 AM

Makes sense Rob, based on this, the UPS store may be liable then. That is a pathetic practice they have.

The red flag in this case is that the seller does not have the card or the money back, that is theft/fraud no matter how you slice it.

It sounds like that this is a very easy way to steal through a UPS store, my friend may be able to sue the store owner.

thanks for the info
Dan
Old 07-02-2009, 07:14 AM
Peter Spaeth

How is it the store owner's fault if the buyer defrauded your friend?
Old 07-02-2009, 07:18 AM

For having a service similar to a PO Box (unless I am misunderstanding something) and handing out expensive tracked packages with no signatures or ID?

I don't know, seems like a ridiculous practice to me if you are going to handle shipments of thousands of dollars no?
Old 09-17-2009, 11:08 AM

Default Amazingly

It looks like we are at a dead end with this guy. American Express issued a charge back and never even required that he return the merchandise!!

Paypal accepts the item not as described reason even though the Cobb card was graded by a reputable 3rd party service that ebay recognizes on its listings.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:38 AM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Dan,

Have you guys asked paypal or ebay how a SGC or PSA graded card is even eligible for a SNAD claim? Both of those companies stand behind their product and have written guarantees. Not sure how they can stick a seller with this responsibility. Any lawyers want to comment????

Really sorry to hear about the outcome.

Greg
Old 09-17-2009, 11:56 AM
Dave

Amazingly this guy is still registered at Ebay.

Also, thanks to Ebay's new rules...........you can't even leave him a negative for stealing your money and your cards either.

.....and get this..........he's still listed as a PowerSeller even though he hasn't received a feedback in about a year.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:15 PM

This guy is a real steaming pile. Makes me want to turn to the BST for selling cards even more.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:21 PM
C.urt Sch.midg.@ll

What is the buyer's eBay ID? Sounds like a good candidate to add to the blocked list.