NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-01-2005, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Default Greatest Pitchers Ever ?

Posted By: jay behrens

my rabbit is going to go hungry now.

Jay

My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.

Old 07-01-2005, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Stephen Mitchell

Off the top of my head, with (hopefully) due consideration to quality, longevity, team strength and all those variables disguised by winning percentages and wins totals (not to mention a secondary stat like strikeouts), my picks are:

(1) Walter Johnson, (2) Grover C. Alexander, (3) Bob Feller, (4) Warren Spahn, (5) Lefty Grove, (6) Cy Young, (7) Christy Mathewson, (8) Roger Clemens, (9) Pud Galvin, (10) Bobby Mathews

Old 07-02-2005, 05:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Cy

OK, let's pick the pitcher that you would want to start the seventh game of the World Series. But let's throw a little wrinkle in here to allow for longevity. Face it, so far when you are picking the pitcher, you are assuming that he is at his peak. For that matter, let's throw in Dwight Gooden. Truly at his peak he was as good as anyone. But would you rate him in your top 5 pitchers?

So here is my suggestion. Throw out the best and worst year of each pitcher. Then pick at random a year of the pitcher's career. Then let this pitcher start the seventh game of the World Series. You don't get the pitcher at his absolute peak. You get him at any, random, time in his career.

So let's assume that you choose Koufax. Throwing out his best and worst year, you have a 40% chance of getting Koufax at his peak. The other 60% he was lousy. Would anyone risk those odds for the seventh game of the World Series?

Now look at Walter Johnson. Throw out his best and worst year and he had maybe four mediocre years (not really bad) and 15 stellar years. So now picking a season at random, you have over a 75% chance of getting Walter at his peak. I think this will put a light on the subject of who is the greatest and for what length of time. Pick any time in his career at random and I would want Walter Johnson on the mound for me.

Try that for a few other pitchers. Surely good ones come to mind; Matty, Grove, Spahn, Seaver, Clemens, Maddux. But I'd still take Walter.

One last note. If you listened to the Glory Of Their Times CD set, Larry Ritter asked each of those players who was the greatest pitcher of all time. Without hesitation, every player said Walter. Now this group of people doesn't constitute a scientific sample. But when everyone states it without blinking, I'd have to say that Walter was definitely the best of his era.

Cy

Old 07-02-2005, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anson

You might as well throw Pedro Martinez and Cy Young out there too, as I wouldn't mind having them on the mound in Game 7.

Old 07-02-2005, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Stephen Mitchell

Boy, I wish I had answered this question as Cy did! I like his reasoning and I'll bet most managers and GMs do, too.