NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 03-29-2011, 11:53 AM
Clayton

Default World News/Events........

I understand we all come to this site to sort of "escape" and enjoy a shared love of pre war cards and memorabilia, so this topic may not gather much attention. But there are so many things going on in the world today, I thought it would be interesting to start a thread on world news/events.........good or bad, whatever is going on.

The horrible tragedy that happened in Japan is one of the things I have been paying attention to in the news. It is hard to imagine the magnitude of what has happened over there.

My wife's sister had sent us an email regarding protecting ourselves from radiation by taking iodine pills. I discussed this with a co-worker who said "There is no way the radiation could make it to the U.S. from Japan".......then yesterday morning on the news they say they've found small traces of radiation in Las Vegas and California !!! They also said the amounts were miniscule and harmless.....but it is a bit alarming to me.

Anyone else care to discuss world news?

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 03-29-2011, 01:19 PM
Daryl

I would love to, but I can't discuss current world events without discussing politics and the Bible.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:20 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Hey Clayton

ON the radiation issue I have been watching it too. This morning they said it was coming from the west and moving east, from CA to MA. They also said we get more radiation from eating a banana so I am not too worried at this point. I am watching it closely though. It is very sad. And as bad as it is for humans, their pets are fairing even worse.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:14 PM
Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
I would love to, but I can't discuss current world events without discussing politics and the Bible.
This was actually a concern of mine before starting the thread, because one of the topics I wanted to discuss had to do with the Middle East and Libya.....but I thought it would possibly lead into politics and religion (for the record, discussing these topics does not bother me- but I understand there are rules).

Leon- I am glad I am not the only one paying attention to this. We have an issue in Nevada with Yucca Mountain, and I am strongly opposed to the Nations nuclear waste being deposited here,,,,I don't care how "safe" they think it is.

I'm sure they felt (in Japan) that their reactors were safe.....but guess what? Mother Nature is a force to be reckoned with

I hope the people of Japan can eventually recover from this. If I remember correctly, we had a board member in Japan who collects T205's ? If you are reading this, I hope you and yours are OK.

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 03-29-2011, 06:29 PM
Barry Sloate

There are even traces of radiation in the New York area, but they are infinitesimal. The Japanese who live remotely near the damaged reactor may be facing serious health issues for many years to come. It's a terribly tragic situation. There has even been plutonium found in the soil, which is extremely dangerous and usually lethal. It makes you wonder about our own nuclear plants.

Last edited by barrysloate; 03-29-2011 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:24 PM
Eric Shaeffer

We as a nation (and the world) really need to step back and look at our energy situation. People want cheap energy, and a helluva lot of it, but its just not possible without nuclear. Solar and wind are not the answer right now. Nuclear disasters WILL happen as the plants get older, etc; cutting way back on usage is the key, but it ain't gonna happen. I really don't know a viable solution...
Old 03-31-2011, 04:21 AM
Clayton

So today I heard on the news that the people who are directly involved on the front lines of the clean up have accepted the fact that they are sacrificing their lives to do this to try to save the rest of the people in the country !!! This is very honorable of them.

I agree Eric, there is definatley an advantage to use nuclear energy and I suppose that's where we will end up.......just don't feel too well about the nuclear weapons.

Barry- Also in the news it said they are finding large amounts of radiation in the ocean around Japan (something to that effect).

Clayton
Old 03-31-2011, 09:50 AM
pariah1107

Iodine pills are flying off the shelves in the Pacific Northwest. Why? It protects against only one type of radioactive isotope affecting the pituatary. In many cases the iodine is more dangerous than any trace elements found in the air. We in Eastern Washington have been living with the Hanford Nuclear Site in our back yards since 1944. Anyone who has done a bit of homework can find the cancerous side effects of living downwind from the plant. But the government claims it is coincidental... I'm afraid the Japanese will never get the straight story.

As to alternative energy Kittitas County, Washington has been putting up windmills left and right (I feel like Don Quixote) because the wind always blows, but it blows too damn hard so they remain tied down, not spinning at all. But as long as the government keeps subsidizing this waste they will continue to build them. Hydroelectricity is the best option in this area, but it destroys the salmon runs. So pick your poison, sometimes literally.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:58 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
There are even traces of radiation in the New York area, but they are infinitesimal. The Japanese who live remotely near the damaged reactor may be facing serious health issues for many years to come. It's a terribly tragic situation. There has even been plutonium found in the soil, which is extremely dangerous and usually lethal. It makes you wonder about our own nuclear plants.
I am "lucky" enough to live within 50 miles of a nuclear power plant that is the same kind that melted down in Japan...and I believe one of only a handful in the United States with that same type of reactor. To top it off it sits at the top of the Humboldt Fault Line and it's possible a large earthquake could hit this area.