NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 07-29-2012, 03:23 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Default Speaking of Mick...

I just picked this piece up from a local card shop...Any thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mick1.jpg (29.6 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg Mick2.jpg (29.0 KB, 172 views)
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 07-29-2012, 03:26 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmp123 View Post
I just picked this piece up from a local card shop...Any thoughts?
Yes. Return it and get your money back.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:29 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Ha!
Chris - That's what I was afraid of...I told the guy I would have it looked at...He was dead set on me sending it off for authentication...I told him, you pay for it and i'll send it off!
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

Old 07-29-2012, 03:34 PM

Default JimStinson

My guess is that it was not expensive , use some mineral spirits and remove the signature and keep it ITS A GREAT PHOTO OF THE MICK !
Old 07-29-2012, 03:37 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Jim,

Will the mineral spirits damage the photo at all?

Old 07-29-2012, 03:43 PM
Christopher Williams

Jim brings up a great point. How much did you pay for it?
Old 07-29-2012, 03:49 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

$50 and a pretty nice 1974 Topps Clemente...he's a good guy and I have known him for years...the big win here is that he will gladly refund my money and will pull the Mick once I show him this feedback.

Thanks again guys!

Old 07-29-2012, 04:00 PM
Christopher Williams

Why would a local card dealer and good guy, sell you an authentic Mickey Mantle autographed photo (and Clemente) for only $50.00?

I find it difficult to believe that your local good guy card dealer, would let go of a authentic Mickey Mantle signed photo (and a Clemente card) for only $50.00.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:03 PM
Brock

I think he meant he paid $50 plus a clemente card.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:08 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
I think he meant he paid $50 plus a clemente card.
Gotcha, Brock. Thank you for pointing that out.

I still find it difficult to believe the local card dealer would sell an authentic Mantle signed photo for only $50.00 and a 1974 Clemente.

I think he was looking to dump it.

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 07-29-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:09 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
Why would a local card dealer and good guy, sell you an authentic Mickey Mantle autographed photo (and Clemente) for only $50.00?

I find it difficult to believe that your local good guy card dealer, would let go of a authentic Mickey Mantle signed photo (and a Clemente card) for only $50.00.
Chris,

Read the post. No reason to go into attack mode.

It was the card and $50. And like I said, a good guy that knew he didn't get it in person and didn't have paperwork on the autograph (in case you still think the Clemene card and $50 is too low)

He may have been looking to dump it, but he's giving me my money back...All I said is that he is a good guy, not like the dude is family.

Last edited by jgmp123; 07-29-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:12 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Chris,

Read the post. No reason to go into attack mode.

It was the card and $50. And like I said, a good guy that knew he didn't get it in person and didn't have paperwork on the autograph (in case you still think the Clemene card and $50 is too low)
Sorry, James, but I tell it like I feel it.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:15 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

No hard feelings...I am planning on getting the Clemente and money back tomorrow. I am going to offer him a lower amount for the photo only after I show him this forum and go with Jim's idea....do you know if Mineral Spirits would damage the photo?

I gain a nice photo and get this dud off the streets...

Old 07-29-2012, 06:47 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
No hard feelings...I am planning on getting the Clemente and money back tomorrow. I am going to offer him a lower amount for the photo only after I show him this forum and go with Jim's idea....do you know if Mineral Spirits would damage the photo?

I gain a nice photo and get this dud off the streets...
No need to mess around with mineral spirits. If it is Sharpie on a glossy photo, a white art eraser such as Staedtler or Pentel Clic Eraser will take it right off with no damage to the photo.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:54 PM
Brock

Also why'd topps make a Clemente card two years after he died?
Old 07-29-2012, 08:08 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
Also why'd topps make a Clemente card two years after he died?
Brock,

My bad..it was the 1973 Topps...#50

Old 07-29-2012, 09:11 PM
Paul Hawk

I don't mean to be a stick in the mud as I cherish the people's opinion to voiced such in this thread. (Chris, loved your Youtube videos and respect your opinions.)

But in the context of the initial posters' post, the opinion of this borad would dictate if he keeps the autographed photo or not.

I know that if certain people say "no good" I read it as gospel. Chris, you are one of them. But Mr. I-don't-know-anyone-one-on-net54, they might need some more specifics.

So, to help our fellow forumite, from our experts, can you cite specifics why this autograph is no bueno...

Personally, I have a few thoughts as I would be hesitant, so please share yours.

http://vintagebaseballs.blogspot.com

Stop by and say hello!
Old 07-29-2012, 09:20 PM
Steve Zarelli

This is a textbook, mass produced forgery style sold in great quantity through B&J Collectibles among others. It has slowness throughout and a drawn look. Once your eye keys in on the look of these, they stick out like a sore thumb.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:30 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark7781 View Post
I But Mr. I-don't-know-anyone-one-on-net54, they might need some more specifics.

So, to help our fellow forumite, from our experts, can you cite specifics why this autograph is no bueno...

Personally, I have a few thoughts as I would be hesitant, so please share yours.
Clark,
Many on the board often do not share specifics publicly.
The reason is that crooks read these boards and many don't want to give them any help improving their technique by showing them the keys to the sigs.
Many on here will be more willing to share via PM.

For myself, one of the big things with Mantle, and most other signatures, is flow. Often forgeries have a drawn appearance as opposed to free flowing signature.
Just my 2c.
Best,
Mark

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 07-30-2012, 04:02 AM
Banned

they are not reading these boards looking for tips... that's a myth.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:37 AM
Paul Hawk

Mark, you are 100% correct.

I am an avid collector of autographs. I have a nice sized collection and my focus over the years is IP 'graphs. In my younger years (1980s) I attended a good number of shows in Alantic City, where big names attended. I remember waiting in line with my father for Mickey Mantle. I didn't than know how great he was, other than my dad saying, "Quit bitching; we're waiting in this line..."

I remember they grey haired man signing the ball for us; I didn't appreciate this event until later in life: I met the great Mickey Mantle!

Over the years, as I educated myself on autographs, I learned about the little nuances of the signers techniques. Mantle has a few, which are stand outs if you know what you are looking for.

I am no expert, but am just trying to help a fellow forumite... Please don't take what I write anything more than that.

Stop by and say hello!
Old 07-30-2012, 07:07 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
I don't mean to be a stick in the mud as I cherish the people's opinion to voiced such in this thread. (Chris, loved your Youtube videos and respect your opinions.)

But in the context of the initial posters' post, the opinion of this borad would dictate if he keeps the autographed photo or not.

I know that if certain people say "no good" I read it as gospel. Chris, you are one of them. But Mr. I-don't-know-anyone-one-on-net54, they might need some more specifics.

Clark, I appreciate the nice comments.

I cannot, of course, speak for anyone else, but to learn autographs is to train your eyes. It really isn't as simple as this is wrong and that is wrong. I can reference formation, slant, etc., and it's not going to be understood by the casual autograph buyer.

It takes time to train your eyes. A lot of time. Forgeries are meant to have the appearance of looking authentic. And it works, because the majority of people who purchase autographs don't know anything about the autographs they are buying.

I would also like to throw in a personal analogy. I was always very good in math, and when I was in 6th grade, they took about dozen of us and threw us in a Geometry class. At the time I was already taking Algebra II in 6th grade, but when I started the Geometry class I just could not figure this thing out. I just didn't get it. Then all-of-a-sudden, three weeks into the Geometry class, it clicked.

With autographs your trained eyes will all-of-a-sudden click. But you have to keep at it. It's not a once-a-week thing.

Look at a 1963 circa Mantle autograph and compare it to a 1990 circa Mantle autograph. The same characteristics are there in both autographs, but only the trained eye will see it.

I hope this helps a little.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:24 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
Clark, I appreciate the nice comments.

I cannot, of course, speak for anyone else, but to learn autographs is to train your eyes. It really isn't as simple as this is wrong and that is wrong. I can reference formation, slant, etc., and it's not going to be understood by the casual autograph buyer.

It takes time to train your eyes. A lot of time. Forgeries are meant to have the appearance of looking authentic. And it works, because the majority of people who purchase autographs don't know anything about the autographs they are buying.

I would also like to throw in a personal analogy. I was always very good in math, and when I was in 6th grade, they took about dozen of us and threw us in a Geometry class. At the time I was already taking Algebra II in 6th grade, but when I started the Geometry class I just could not figure this thing out. I just didn't get it. Then all-of-a-sudden, three weeks into the Geometry class, it clicked.

With autographs your trained eyes will all-of-a-sudden click. But you have to keep at it. It's not a once-a-week thing.

Look at a 1963 circa Mantle autograph and compare it to a 1990 circa Mantle autograph. The same characteristics are there in both autographs, but only the trained eye will see it.

I hope this helps a little.
I love this response... so very very true.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 07-30-2012, 08:57 AM

Default JimStinson

DITTO ! On the above and very well put Christopher ! I've tried to explain it to people and they don't get it , its a GUT thing most of the time and comes from handling and looking at autographs day in and day out for many many years. You can't TEACH it ! And you can't learn it out of a book.
REMEMBER THIS ! counterfeit artists can FREE HAND TWENTY DOLLAR BILLS. If that can be done someone can certainly replicate a Mickey Mantle or Lou Gehrig to LOOK exactly the way its supposed to look. In determining authenticity a person with some experience in this arena is usually looking at MORE than just the "slant and stroke, formation etc"
Old 07-30-2012, 09:16 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Chris,
That is a great response.
Very well put and I agree fully with your description.
Best,
Mark

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 07-30-2012, 09:25 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
and I don't care if they do anyway. I always will try and spell it out for new collectors whenever I can. In this instance, there is not really much to discuss.

You just need to keep working and eventually, you can see these typical forgeries from a mile away.

Also, for the record, your just not going to pick up a Mantle signed photo for $50.00. That's your first tip that you are probably buying a forgery, trying to get a deal or something for nothing. No one is selling legitimate Mantle's for 50.00. If you want an authentic one. Plan on paying a minimum of $125-300, depending on the pose and the cert offered. $125 for No cert & up to $300+ for JSA, PSA and Upperdeck. Good Luck

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 07-30-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:58 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStinson View Post
DITTO ! On the above and very well put Christopher ! I've tried to explain it to people and they don't get it , its a GUT thing most of the time and comes from handling and looking at autographs day in and day out for many many years. You can't TEACH it ! And you can't learn it out of a book.
REMEMBER THIS ! counterfeit artists can FREE HAND TWENTY DOLLAR BILLS. If that can be done someone can certainly replicate a Mickey Mantle or Lou Gehrig to LOOK exactly the way its supposed to look. In determining authenticity a person with some experience in this arena is usually looking at MORE than just the "slant and stroke, formation etc"

Jim, your comment is right on the money.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:03 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post

This is NOT a personal attack at all but I think you are wrong. Actually Travis, I kind of like you. You have great spirit. I have very first hand knowledge of many card doctors and thieves reading this board.

Last edited by Leon; 07-30-2012 at 10:14 AM. Reason: toned down
Old 07-30-2012, 10:04 AM
Christopher Williams

Please read the below new thread.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...46#post1020346
Old 07-30-2012, 11:50 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
This is NOT a personal attack at all but I think you are wrong. Actually Travis, I kind of like you. You have great spirit. I have very first hand knowledge of many card doctors and thieves reading this board.
In my opinion, it's dangerously naive to think forgers -- at least the good ones -- aren't always looking to perfect their craft.

There is plenty of anecdotal evidence to show otherwise. After the Charlton Heston secretarial study was released on Autograph News Live, guess what? The forgers stopped copying the secretarial style and started copying the authentic style. Did that just happen by coincidence?

On CollectSpace a few posters spilled the beans on subtle traits they look for in Neil Armstrong autographs. Guess what? Within months we started seeing fakes with those same traits that never appeared before.

The forger who did all the Burczyk Mantle forgeries has altered his Mantle in the past few months. Did he do that for no reason or maybe because he was reading some "feedback" on his style here or elsewhere?

More than once Travis has espoused an attitude that forgers operate in an isolated silo scribbling lousy fakes that are all easily detected. This is simply not true.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:16 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
In my opinion, it's dangerously naive to think forgers -- at least the good ones -- aren't always looking to perfect their craft.

There is plenty of anecdotal evidence to show otherwise. After the Charlton Heston secretarial study was released on Autograph News Live, guess what? The forgers stopped copying the secretarial style and started copying the authentic style. Did that just happen by coincidence?

On CollectSpace a few posters spilled the beans on subtle traits they look for in Neil Armstrong autographs. Guess what? Within months we started seeing fakes with those same traits that never appeared before.

The forger who did all the Burczyk Mantle forgeries has altered his Mantle in the past few months. Did he do that for no reason or maybe because he was reading some "feedback" on his style here or elsewhere?

More than once Travis has espoused an attitude that forgers operate in an isolated silo scribbling lousy fakes that are all easily detected. This is simply not true.
Well written, Mr. Zipper and right on the money.

It was about a month ago when we noticed the source of the Burczyk certed Mantle forgeries changed his Mantle forgeries. The irony being, they are more horrific than the original Mantle forgeries he produced.

The change happened due to sites like Net54 and AML.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:43 PM
Paul Hawk

Chris,

Thank you for not taking any offense to my post. I have followed your opinions avidly for a long time. Your opinion carries weight with me, so I thank you for all that you have done for the hobby.

I truly love this community. Helping each other out when help is asked for. You are all true gentleman and gentlemwomen.

Stop by and say hello!
Old 07-31-2012, 06:45 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Chris,

Thank you for not taking any offense to my post. I have followed your opinions avidly for a long time. Your opinion carries weight with me, so I thank you for all that you have done for the hobby.

I truly love this community. Helping each other out when help is asked for. You are all true gentleman and gentlemwomen.
Clark, your post was not offensive at all. I appreciate the opportunity to reply to your comment.

When I first started doing my YouTube videos back in October 2008, I always made it clear that my videos and blogs were never meant to be educational. I simply wanted to expose the sellers of forgeries. I have never profited a dime from the hobby. I am not a dealer. Sellers of forgeries need to be exposed. It cannot be tolerated.