NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 12-01-2012, 05:24 AM
Bill Gregory

Default Hello! New kid in town....

Hello everybody, my name is Bill, and this is my first post here.

I was fortunate enough to stumble across Net 54 about a month ago, and I have been enjoying the discussions (and the sharing of collections) ever since. I decided to sign up, and jump feet first into the proverbial sea of knowledge, and kick start my vintage collection with some help from you all.

A little about me first (I'll keep it short so as not to bore anybody ). I was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin far too long ago (ok, 1971), and since I was old enough to hold a baseball, I have had a passion for the game. I attended my first Brewers game in 1978, and my lifelong love affair with the team has never faltered. I moved to Texas, where I now live, but the Brewers are still my team. Besides the Brew Crew, I also follow the Rangers, and the Pirates (my second favorite baseball team).

I collected baseball cards as a boy (didn't everybody?), but eventually I grew disenchanted with the hobby, and stopped in the early 90's. A little over a year ago, I got the urge again, and have been collecting since. The majority of my purchases have been of modern players (I collect Bowman Chrome autograph prospects, as well as some football cards, too. I am a die hard Packer fan). But as one that has an incredible love of the history of the game, I find myself wanting to collect vintage more and more. However, before I start making substantial investments in these cards, I need to learn more about vintage cards in order to protect myself. I guess that's the old stock broker in me. My profession requires due diligence, and I abhor risk. Also, what I can invest in my hobby right now is somewhat constrained by my long term disability. I hurt my back about 5 years ago, and after several surgeries, I am waiting to see what's next. So, I want to make sure I am spending is invested wisely, and I look forward to learning from you fine folks!

My favorite two players of all-time are Robin Yount and Roberto Clemente, greats that I have found similar in many regards. Beyond the obvious 3,000 hit club membership, and Hall of Fame induction, both played their entire careers for one small market team. Both had their finest moment on the game's biggest stage (Clemente in the 1971 World Series, Yount in the 1982 World Series), and both were somewhat under-appreciated in their time.

I also like Rollie Fingers quite a lot. Though he did not pitch in Milwaukee long, the years he was there made him a fan favorite, and I will contend until my dying day that if we'd have had him in the 1982 Series, we'd have beaten the Cardinals. My affinity for Rollie has grown over the years, and has gone into overdrive hearing firsthand how nice a man he truly is. My best friend lives in Las Vegas, and Rollie is the coach of his daughter's little league team. My user name is an homage to the great #34.

Current players I quite like Ryan Braun and Jonathan Lucroy.

Anyhow, that's enough about me. I look forward to getting to know everybody here.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:54 AM
Al Richter

Default Welcome...

Welcome to the Board, Bill. Hope you enjoy it here. I regret to say though that you are wrong about 1982...I was there. And I was there is 2011 too .

It is just a hobby for me so I am not much on investment advice, but there are plenty of folks here who are wise in the way of what makes sense in terms of getting the most long term bang for your buck, and I am sure you will not want for good advice from them. Good luck

Al
Old 12-01-2012, 06:59 AM
Marty

Welcome aboard, Bill! You will find that the folks here are nice (well, as long as you stay out of the autograph threads!) and the information is first rate!

Happy collecting!

Marty
Old 12-01-2012, 09:36 AM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Hey Stache...I'm new too and your story is almost a carbon copy of mine...minus the Brewers and I am one year older! haha...

LOTS of knowledge here, I am blown away. I thought I knew a few things, compared to these guys, it's humbling...
Old 12-01-2012, 07:34 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Welcome aboard Bill! Glad to have you. I think your story about collecting is very similar to a lot of our stories. I also collecting as a kid and totally lost interest in the early 90's when too many new brands were coming out and the cards were getting too shiny. Then years later I got back into the hobby through vintage cards. I love vintage and prewar cards. Can't get enough of them.

I hope you enjoy the ride and keep posting.

Best regards,

AndyH

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 12-01-2012, 11:20 PM
Bill Gregory

Thanks everybody

ALR-bishop, I feel that Fingers would have been a much better option than Pete Ladd in game 2, and Fingers could have pitched the last two innings if needed. Of course, Molitor, Yount and Cooper could have done something in the top of the ninth, but they did not.

I guess it's just years of bitterness over that loss manifesting itself

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:23 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Okay, I'll answer the question!

Well I guess it would be good to start with don't invest with money you can't afford to have fluctuate. No one has a crystal ball. That said - Clemente happens to be very widely collected - I am a HUGE Clemente fan and have built an extensive collection over the past 25 years - it has been a lot of fun. Keep the laws of supply and demand present in your mind Supply> demand = decreasing prices. Demand> supply = increasing prices. So if the cards you are choosing to buy are in short supply and high demand there is a good likelyhood they could hold/increase in value. The internet has a wealth of information. Make eductaed decisions. Get educated by learning. Net 54 is an unbelievable source of information. Just type "Clemente" or "Yount" in the search field and start reading. Collectors univers forums are also a good source of information. Happy collecting.

-Howard
Old 12-03-2012, 10:12 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
Well I guess it would be good to start with don't invest with money you can't afford to have fluctuate. No one has a crystal ball. That said - Clemente happens to be very widely collected - I am a HUGE Clemente fan and have built an extensive collection over the past 25 years - it has been a lot of fun. Keep the laws of supply and demand present in your mind Supply> demand = decreasing prices. Demand> supply = increasing prices. So if the cards you are choosing to buy are in short supply and high demand there is a good likelyhood they could hold/increase in value. The internet has a wealth of information. Make eductaed decisions. Get educated by learning. Net 54 is an unbelievable source of information. Just type "Clemente" or "Yount" in the search field and start reading. Collectors univers forums are also a good source of information. Happy collecting.

-Howard
Thank you for your input, Howard.

Last edited by the 'stache; 12-03-2012 at 10:12 PM.