NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-24-2018, 08:52 AM
C@rl P@rk

Default PSA post-war Rookie registry

In case anyone missed it, a "majority of registrants" voted to add the following players and cards to the "Post-War Rookie" registry. What a joke. I mean - WTF? I am guessing every copy of the 1941 Double Play set vanished into the ether? 1938 Play Ball Fellers also?

Johnny Mize – 1948 Bowman #4

Bob Feller – 1948 Bowman #5

Phil Rizzuto – 1948 Bowman #8

Enos Slaughter – 1948 Bowman #17

Lou Boudreau – 1949 Bowman #11

Joe Gordon – 1949 Bowman #210
Old 01-24-2018, 09:15 AM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Agree. Makes no sense to me.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:18 AM
Keith

Default Not me!

I voted against all of those inclusions. Those are not rookie cards. I don't know why this hobby is fixated on pre- and post-war designations... like BC and AD in the life of Christ. Bugs the crap out of me.

Rizzuto, Mize and Slaughter have rookie cards in the 1941 Double Play set. How can PSA ignore those mainstream cards simply because they're multi-player and blank-backed? Feller's Goudey Heads-Up is a mainstream, gorgeous card. No... according to PSA his real "rookie" occurs 10 years later!

Last edited by con40; 01-25-2018 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Typo on year
Old 01-24-2018, 09:44 AM
Peter Spaeth

Multi-player can't possibly be a reason.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:26 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

Bizarre to me that this stuff is even put to a vote. There should be standards that just get followed. Is it really as simple as the real rookie cards coming before D-Day? That really seems dumb to me.

On the bright side, I guess my 1975 Hank Aaron post-Vietnam war RCs just shot up in value!

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/

Last edited by jason.1969; 01-24-2018 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:07 PM
Bob F.

Freaking unbelievable. There are 365 sets currently registered for the Post WWII HOF Rookie set. Maybe they asked everyone and the 183 people at the bottom of the list said "Hey, let's screw with the 182 people at the top by making them buy some non-rookie cards! That'll be sweet!"

Perhaps they should have weighted the voting such that Mr. 365 with his 0.99% HOF Rookie set didn't get the same say as Greg at the top of the list with 94.06% (used to be 100% probably) and an average grade of 8.95.

Last edited by bobsbbcards; 01-24-2018 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:27 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

I believe this is a lot like the 1952 Mantle being called a rookie. Some people don’t care if it really is they just like to call it what they want. The leaf feller is one of those cards. Until we get a recognized and standardized recognition of what a rookie card is we will keep seeing this. Forget about what modern cards are doing to rookie cards.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:37 PM
C@rl P@rk

When I first got back into collecting a few years ago, this particular registry set drove me. It was a big goal to get all of the cards and I was able to eventually do so (even though a few of them were non-PSA). I've moved on from being an addict to the Registry and with some distance I took it way less seriously. Adding these cards has removed any seriousness from the list that it ever may have had. If your composite doesn't even really represent what it purports, what's the point? To paraphrase a point someone made on another message board (CU or a FB page) - why not just go ahead and add Ted Williams and Joe DiMaggio?
Old 01-24-2018, 02:58 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I mean, why would anyone want logic and simple facts to get in the way??

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:10 PM
Jeff

Why does anyone care what they think is the larger question?

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 01-24-2018, 03:41 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisk View Post
When I first got back into collecting a few years ago, this particular registry set drove me. It was a big goal to get all of the cards and I was able to eventually do so (even though a few of them were non-PSA). I've moved on from being an addict to the Registry and with some distance I took it way less seriously. Adding these cards has removed any seriousness from the list that it ever may have had. If your composite doesn't even really represent what it purports, what's the point? To paraphrase a point someone made on another message board (CU or a FB page) - why not just go ahead and add Ted Williams and Joe DiMaggio?
...or Babe Ruth and Honus Wagner! How prescient of Leaf to include them in their 1949 offering!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 01-24-2018, 05:00 PM
Bob F.

Cobb Post WW II Rookie candidates:

Last edited by bobsbbcards; 01-24-2018 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:25 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
Why does anyone care what they think is the larger question?
Well yes, but you clearly don't understand the mentality that drives registry collectors.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:10 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Some people on the PSA CU board are asking PSA to provide an accounting of the "majority" that voted for the change. This is a short-sighted cash grab that invalidates one of the biggest fights in the Set Registry competition. What would Fonzie say while ski-jumping Jaws?
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:59 PM
C@rl P@rk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsbbcards View Post
Cobb Post WW II Rookie candidates:

Haha

Last edited by KingFisk; 01-24-2018 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:27 AM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

How can those old weird cards be rookies? There's not enough to market and accept submissions and resubmissions for. Where's the money in that?

The idea of voting for rookie cards like a popularity question is ludicrous. More people have more common issues so are more inclined to vote biased accordingly.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:36 AM
Andrew Mc.Gann

As someone who spent a LOT of time, effort and money to collect and complete this set, this completely idiotic change makes me sick to my stomach. All 6 players that were added to this POST-WAR set have 1941 Double Play cards. As previously mentioned, some, like Feller also have mainstream issues that pre-date the '41 DP set. This all came about because Beckett changed the rules on RCs, and PSA just went along with it, rather than (gasp) thinking for themselves. I have a really hard time believing that the majority of collectors on the set voted for this change.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:38 AM
Andrew Mc.Gann

I'm just waiting for 2005 Topps Chipper, Thome, Vlad and Hoffman cards to be added to the set.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:31 AM
C@rl P@rk

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Some people on the PSA CU board are asking PSA to provide an accounting of the "majority" that voted for the change. This is a short-sighted cash grab that invalidates one of the biggest fights in the Set Registry competition. What would Fonzie say while ski-jumping Jaws?
Hi John, which subforum is that in (re: the accounting)? I couldn't find the post but wanted to follow it. I only saw the one I chimed in on over there (I rarely go on that forum but was compelled to comment on this). Thanks!
Old 01-25-2018, 10:32 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Hi John, which subforum is that in (re: the accounting)? I couldn't find the post but wanted to follow it. I only saw the one I chimed in on over there (I rarely go on that forum but was compelled to comment on this). Thanks!
Looks like the thread was pulled. It was in the Sports Cards & Memorabilia board.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:44 AM
Andrew Mc.Gann

What a surprise...not.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:51 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Should be renamed the "Making It Up As We Go" registry.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-25-2018, 04:26 PM
M!chael

Top 50 sets being polled again, so if you are in the top 50 and don’t like the additions, check your email and respond to the poll.
Old 01-25-2018, 05:59 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Well yes, but you clearly don't understand the mentality that drives registry collectors.
Well yes, I understand it and then again I don't understand it.
To each their own. PSA is a marketer - don't be surprised when you are being manipulated. It's their game - you don't have to play.
It's obviously been a marketing master stroke and a multitude of collectors and some flip chasers have embraced it.
Kudos to them.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

Last edited by HRBAKER; 01-25-2018 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:38 PM
C@rl P@rk

Quote:
Well yes, I understand it and then again I don't understand it.
To each their own. PSA is a marketer - don't be surprised when you are being manipulated. It's their game - you don't have to play.
It's obviously been a marketing master stroke and a multitude of collectors and some flip chasers have embraced it.
Kudos to them.
My original post was more pointing out my confusion about calling those particular cards "rookies." I haven't cared about the registry in years.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-2018, 06:40 PM
Jeff

Quote:
My original post was more pointing out my confusion about calling those particular cards "rookies." I haven't cared about the registry in years.

Thanks Carl.
My response was to Peter.
I understood your point.

Old 01-25-2018, 06:42 PM
C@rl P@rk

Quote:
Thanks Carl.
My response was to Peter.
I understood your point.
All good. Fun development:

Hi Everyone,

We have run into a real dilemma with the addition of the Mize, Feller, Rizzuto, Slaughter, Boudreau, and Gordon cards to the HOF Post War Rookie set. We have heard from many of you with both sides making some very valid arguments. We reviewed the poll again and looked at the responses from those collectors who are ranked in the top 50, assuming these are the most active sets. The addition of these cards affects you most.

We found that the vote was slightly in favor of the addition of the cards, but is really too close to call. However, there were only 30 responses out of 50. So, we are going to try this one more time because we really want to do the right thing and give everyone in the Top 50 a chance to respond. After this second vote, if we do not have a clear majority, we will not add the cards to the set. Temporarily, the cards are listed as optional until we get this settled.

We urge you to cast a vote as your vote matters. Simply respond to the email with a YES or NO*no later than Tuesday, 1/30. (If you emailed me after the last poll results with your opinion on this matter, there is no need to respond again. I have your vote.)

Thank you in advance for your patience and participation.

Gayle Kean

Collectors Universe

Old 01-26-2018, 06:33 AM
Keith

Default Fixing it?

I'm glad Gayle sent this out to get more input from the top 50 sets. I'd like to believe that with a little more thought and deliberation, PSA will realize that these are not true RCs and it's a mistake to include them in any rookie registry.