NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-06-2002, 07:12 AM
Administrator

Default MUST see! Just TOO cool! Wow...

Posted By: Jim/jverri01

I would LOVE to hear what y'all think about this posting. It is described as faded, but - hmmm. Although it does appear washed out - it also has a certain amount of detail retained in the facial image. If colors fade, do they not fade consistently? I am not familiar with the CJ production process, I only observe the similarity between this card and many of the T206 proofs and ink/dye error cards I have seen. It is interesting to look at if nothing else! What do you folks think? Is this just faded? It does look warped, as though it has been soaked - but, wouldn't that have affected ALL colors? Please look, please remark. THANKS. http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1809249053

Old 03-06-2002, 08:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: scott brockelman

Big time , bleach job i believe.

Old 03-06-2002, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: HalleyGator

the seller WAS able to get rid of that unsightly caramel stain!!!

Old 03-06-2002, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

It must be a proof!

Right, Mr. Forrest?

Old 03-06-2002, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

The pressman obviously presented the originally requested "bleached" version of Baker, which was rejected as looking too "ghostly" (even for baker). The customer admitted that his original request that all cards be bleached after printing was not a good idea, and this resulted in the nice CJ's we all love so much.

Old 03-06-2002, 12:51 PM
Administrator

I must admit that if I were a kid and I pulled something like THAT out of a box of Cracker Jack ... it would scare me away from the tasty treats FOREVER!!

Old 03-06-2002, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

The object of bleaching is to get rid of stains, not color. I think it fell in a bathtub, or a rain gutter, which nobody remembered to empty or clean out for about a month. This card is the result of a bad accident, not intentional messing around.

Old 03-06-2002, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: RBCraik

Julie,
Are you involved with Landmark?

Old 03-07-2002, 06:37 AM
Administrator

Check the Goudey pics in Wayne Varner's Shoebox catalog, advertised as bleached.

Old 03-07-2002, 12:38 PM
Administrator

I keep waitring for my cleanest 1914s to fall apart. but so far, they';re just clean. What is Landmark?

Old 03-07-2002, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

I have seen other cards that exhibit a similiar appearance. This Cracker Jack has been exposed to either moisture or a large amount of humidity over an extended period of time.

Old 03-07-2002, 01:12 PM
Administrator

...but I agree with the "scary proof" theory.

I think Cracker Jack's competitor (Caramel Corn?) tried to slip a few hundred of these "ghost cards" into Cracker Jack boxes to scare all the kids into eating Caramel Corn.

Old 03-07-2002, 01:22 PM
Administrator

ha ha

Old 03-07-2002, 01:34 PM
Administrator

This is truely a first!

The reason I said water damage is that I've seen a lot of pieces of cadboard that have been floating in water for a long time, and this is what they look like. If you say bleach does the same thing, so be it. But this card has been totlly submerged--who would do that with bleach? And, as someione didn't point out, the stain is still there.

Nobody has told me what Landmark is, but it's probably one of those **** grading companies. I hate them all, even SGC, who do a pretty good job as a rule. I just don't want to collect plastic holders, that's all. And, I like to smell and touch my cards from time to time. If I can't find an ungraded card that I want, I'll buy a graded one, and liberate it immediately, even at the loss of half its "value."

Landmark? With all that business about the three linen tablecloths (under "what do you do with your cards?" and smoking, I expected to be accused of being a management person for Brown and Williamson (the company "The Insider" worked for).

Julie

Old 03-07-2002, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Halleygator --

If anything, these cards would have been surreptitiously inserted into the Cracker Jack boxes by competitors to scare kids away from eating caramel corn.

Old 03-07-2002, 01:38 PM
Administrator

The reason Julie and I know is because we are both (secretly) floating cardboard connoisseurs.