NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-09-2006, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Default Today's Baseball and the Playoffs- O/T

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

I don't think Sax had any defensive problems as the Yankee 2B (1989-91).

In fact in 1989 he led all AL 2B with 117 DP's....that tells us he had an accurate arm.
That same year he led the Yanks with 205 hits for a .315 BA.
Plus, he was a pretty good hustler, stealing 43 bases his 1st year as a Yankee.

He stepped into Willie Randolph's cleets and played pretty good BB for the Yankees.
But, not good enough for "the Stein-brute-R"

TED Z

Old 10-09-2006, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe brennan

Back in 91 when I didn't know there was such a thing as Pre war cards, I invested in modern rookies. Picked up over 100 Knoblauch rookie cards. For a good part of his career he was the best 2nd baseman around. I shoulda sold back then. Of course now he is worthless. Well maybe not worthless. I wrote a book of how to make firewood logs from your early 90's baseball cards. Book did better than most of my investments.J/K about the book. Here are a few.
Hemsley Meulens
Chuck Knoblauch
Kevin Maas
Dean Palmer
Joey (albert) Bell
Carlo Baerga..heavy buys.looked good till he ate himself to death
Milt Cuyler
Scott Ericson
Luis Gonzalez
Juan Gonzalez
Sammy Sosa..heavy into him and unloaded in 98 with a hugh profit
Ken Griiffey Jr...Still have them all but shoulda unloaded years ago.

People said it was a million dollar wound. But the government must keep that money, cause I ain't never seen a penny of it.

Old 10-09-2006, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Don't feel bad Joe, I once put away 100 Dave Magadans. I don't have to tell you how rich I got off of those.

Old 10-09-2006, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I used to buy bulk lots of rookies in the 80s. My strategy was pretty safe though. As soon as I could sell off 1/2 the lot for my initial investment, I would dump them and get my money back out of the deal. That way, everything else was pure profit and if the player went in the tank, I wouldn't lose any money. I did well with Hrbek, Brunansky, Will Clark, George Bell, Jessie Barfield and number of other players using this tactic. I didn't make a killing, but I didn't lose any money either.

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Old 10-09-2006, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Barry and Ted

Steve Sax had throwing difficulties in 1983

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Sax</a" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Sax</a&gt;

If I recall correctly, Mackey Sasser also had the same problem.

Max

Old 10-09-2006, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

MAX

I vaguely recall that Sax had some throwing problems as a rookie (1982 or '83)
with the Dodgers; but, he corrected this as he became a seasoned 2nd baseman.
By the time he joined the Yankees in the late '80s, he was a very adept player.

The above "stat" speaks for itself.....you can't have the throwing problems as
Knoblauch did....and be the league leader in executing 117 DP's, as Sax was.

T-Rex TED

Old 10-09-2006, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

From what I remember of both their throwing problems, it almost always occured when they had grounders hit to them, not when they were turning DPs.

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Old 10-14-2006, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Well, you think you've seen it all but something happened in tonight's Tigers-Athletics game that is a first. In the 8th inning of their 3-0 loss to Detroit, the Athletics put a player named Kiger (I didn't even catch his first name) in the game at second base. He became the first player in baseball history to make his major league debut in a post season game. I think that is very unusual indeed. He even got to touch the ball as he made the third out at second base.

Old 10-14-2006, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

In the early and mid-80s the smart money baseball card collectors were buying multiple complete sets of cards each year, knowing that if a Mays, Mantle, Aaron was among the rookie crop, they had a sure profit.

I considered that briefly, but decided that stocking sets of players I had little interest in away for years wouldn't work because they would take up too much room and eventually get damaged. Heck, it takes most of a decade to identify a certain HOFer.

I chose to buy single cards of older players which I did have an interest in. Anyone ever hear how those smart money guys did? I bet there was an occasional Rose, Ryan, etc.

Edited to add:

Do you think that Pujols knows that it is still ok to hit?

Old 10-14-2006, 11:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: paulstratton

All of a sudden Kenny Rogers looks like Warren Spahn. The last two games he has pitched have been absolutely dominant. It's almost scary how emotional he is during the game. The Tigers have some serious momentum on their side right now.

The Mets however just lost all of theirs.

Old 10-15-2006, 07:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

I think the Mets could be in some trouble because of their pitching,now 1-1 and going back to St Louis for 3 games with Trachsel and Oliver Perez starting the 4th game. Perez had an ERA mid-6 in 20 or so major league starts,struggled in the minors this year and hasnt pitched since oct 1st. Cardinals pitching isnt any better really but they have 3 home games in a row,and if they come back to NY the Mutts have Maine and Trachsel going in game 6 and 7.This loss last night made this series alot more interesting

Old 10-15-2006, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe

Now that I can't jinx the Detroit Tigers, congratulatons to the American League Champions and bring on the Mets or Cardinals. Great ninth inning walkoff home run by Ordonez. I was cussing him out for swinging and missing earlier at those "drop balls", that's what we called them in the 1950's. They are now splitfingers. And what a great series for all the pitchers and 2nd baseman MVP Polanco.

Joe

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 10-15-2006, 07:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Yeah Joe - heehee. How fun was that???? I just kept thinking - get to Maglio, just get to Maglio. I had a feeling he'd do something.

I also have a feeling that if there were anymore games this season or this series he wouldn't have stood there watching it go out for so long. If it hadn't been last game I think the Oakland pitcher would have put one in his ear next at-bat for that.

But I didn't mind!

Joann

Old 10-15-2006, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Art M.

Just noticed this on the news:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601079&sid=a4nab5QV3J9Y&refer=home

He was replaced on the ALCS telecast today by Jose Mota. Mota works for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim during the regular season and is fantastic in my opinion. Steve Lyons works for the Dodgers broadcast.

Old 10-15-2006, 11:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

So what did he say that was inappropriate this time?

Old 10-16-2006, 05:11 AM
Administrator

Most of what Lyons says is inappropriate. There recently was a fan in the stands who was nearly blind and wearing special glasses and Lyons was making fun of how silly he looked. Getting back to the postseason, the series is starting to look like it may be a repeat of 1934 and 1968. Whatever happened to that subway series we were supposed to have?