NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 11-27-2017, 06:43 PM
Sean Sullivan

Default The Mis-Adventures of a junk wax junkie.

I tried.

I convinced myself that I was totally done with the 1991 Topps set, and that I had all the variations. My '89 Fleer set is all done. I have all the Ripkens and Marlboros and Boggs black dots (or not) that I could ever want. I have misspelled Mad Hungarians, backwards Littlefields, and hat changing Jacksons. I have them all. I KNOW you know what I am talking about.

No more junk wax. From now on, I am focusing on game used bats and jerseys. No more sorting through mountains of late 80's and early 90's piles, looking for THAT card that someone else missed. Let some other sucker fill his baseball room with boxes to look through. I am finished. Complete. Over.

"Baseball cards for sale. Literally a pickup truck load of completed sets, vending boxes, and extras. My son used to collect, he is moved out; no more interest."

No. No way. Forget it. what about a nice game used jers...I wonder how cheap. Nope. Someone else should get it. It is probably gone anyway. Yup, someone else already snagged it. Gosh it's hot in here. Isn't it hot?

Hello? Yes, I am calling about your ad. Is it REALLY a pickup truck full? You will be home all day Sunday?

Sooooo...honey, what if you drive the Jeep today, because I am just going to borrow your Rogue. No reason, it is just that the Jeep won't hold...I am just going to go see a guy, be back in a couple of hours. Don't worry, it is probably nothing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171126_132507.jpg (20.2 KB, 390 views)
File Type: jpg 20171126_145745_resized.jpg (19.0 KB, 391 views)
Old 11-27-2017, 06:59 PM
Sean Sullivan

Default Mis-Adventures, continued

Now, to be totally honest, this wasn't a solo adventure. I grabbed my buddy, and he drove up with me. In case he wants to stay anonymous, I won't name names, but suffice to say he is on here and will likely read this.

So now we get to my favorite part. Even after sorting through the complete sets (and, to give my buddy AWESOME credit, he stored the vast majority of the cards at his place. He will sell them on ebay to recover at least some of the money. Junk wax addiction is cheap, but not free folks.). But we still have a LOT of cards to sort through. So, I lugged some boxes home, and started looking.

I have spent YEARS looking for the Oil Can Boyd Black Bordered flag tip card. YEARS. I don't even know how many boxes I have ripped. Some of you might even remember I posted here a couple of years ago looking for it. I finally bagged one on ebay, but I have NEVER found one on my own. Here is a picture of literally the second card I touched.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171126_201200.jpg (22.4 KB, 385 views)
File Type: jpg 20171126_201209.jpg (21.8 KB, 387 views)
Old 11-27-2017, 07:03 PM
Ben North

You are my new hero. Last time I brought home that many cards my wife threatened me with extreme violence. I am pretty sure she meant it.

WOW would that be fun to go through, I love those years in cards.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:19 PM
Sean Sullivan

Default But wait, there's more!

Like most of you junkies out there, we all know that no set is complete without all the variations. That includes even the little send-away card in every pack.

Well, they were in there. And, one I haven't found before (but saw on the junk wax website); the original(?) "cards not included" one.

Is it just me, or does anyone else have a girlfriend who looks at you weird when you try to explain why this send-away card is way more awesome than that one?

I also got a few Chipper Jones rookies, one with the pink blob, and one with like pink squiggle lines in his hat. I actually don't know much about that one.

Also, does anyone know how rare the "cards not included" version of the send-away card is?

Anyway, I thought since I am obviously relapsing, I would at least share with you guys. I still have a ton to look through, so maybe if there is something interesting, I will add them to my ramble.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171127_193258.jpg (25.5 KB, 376 views)
File Type: jpg 20171127_185451.jpg (25.3 KB, 376 views)
Old 11-27-2017, 07:41 PM
Sean Sullivan

Default Also

Just realized, I probably should have titled this "The Mis-Adventures of (another) Junk Wax Junkie". I do not want to claim to be the original Junk Wax Junkie. I think someone else has the official title.

What about "Junk Wax Crackhead"? I wonder if that is taken?
Old 11-28-2017, 08:17 AM
Adam

Thumbs up

I'm loving this. Please keep us abreast of anymore exciting finds in your epic lot.

Last edited by profholt82; 11-28-2017 at 08:17 AM.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:41 AM
Rich Klein

Good luck; I have 200K cards (I think) I brought into my office yesterday for our Adat show. Most are Junk Wax era but a few are not. Am beginning the process of verifying the sets and moving cards to 3.200 ct boxes for easier use for the Adat Chaverim brotherhood. Here is a photo of my office at EOD Yesterday!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Office Photo 3.jpg (70.4 KB, 348 views)

Last edited by Rich Klein; 11-28-2017 at 08:43 AM.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:42 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

A really fun read, thanks. Just curious about the economics of this? For example, how much is the Oil Can Boyd card worth? Did it pay for a good part of the total purchase?

And no....I do not have any desire to start a new addiction...just curious.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 11-28-2017, 12:39 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

I enjoyed reading about your saga!
Larry
Old 11-28-2017, 12:44 PM
Al Richter

I feel your pain on 89 Fleer and 91 Topps. I guarantee you do not have every variant to the 91 set and bet no one does. And if you think you need the inserts as well, what about the 91 instant game winner cards. I think am still 3 cards short on that mess.

But I do all my modern sets on ebay so have no real collateral damage to deal with.

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 11-28-2017 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:15 PM
Al Richter

Old 11-28-2017, 08:06 PM
Dylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDfan View Post
Like most of you junkies out there, we all know that no set is complete without all the variations. That includes even the little send-away card in every pack.

Well, they were in there. And, one I haven't found before (but saw on the junk wax website); the original(?) "cards not included" one.

Is it just me, or does anyone else have a girlfriend who looks at you weird when you try to explain why this send-away card is way more awesome than that one?

I also got a few Chipper Jones rookies, one with the pink blob, and one with like pink squiggle lines in his hat. I actually don't know much about that one.

Also, does anyone know how rare the "cards not included" version of the send-away card is?

Anyway, I thought since I am obviously relapsing, I would at least share with you guys. I still have a ton to look through, so maybe if there is something interesting, I will add them to my ramble.
Is the "cards not included" version for sale? PM if so. Thank you!

Oddball, promos and variations:http://www.comc.com/Users/JunkWaxGems,sr
Old 11-29-2017, 10:27 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I feel your pain on 89 Fleer and 91 Topps. I guarantee you do not have every variant to the 91 set and bet no one does. And if you think you need the inserts as well, what about the 91 instant game winner cards. I think am still 3 cards short on that mess.

But I do all my modern sets on ebay so have no real collateral damage to deal with.
I also think that's almost certain. I compared my list to the online lists, and there was only "some" overlap. Not all the stuff on my list would count to some collectors, but it is all consistent. Someday I'll do the typing needed to post it.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:45 PM
Al Richter

I for one look forward to your list Steve. Maybe a collaborative effort here can come from it
Old 11-29-2017, 07:21 PM
Sean Sullivan

Default Not quite as awesome

But still fun to sort through.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171129_200418.jpg (29.2 KB, 221 views)
Old 11-29-2017, 07:24 PM
Sean Sullivan

Default And some more of those send away cards

The original "Cards Not Included" plus an arrow one, one that has no tiny text (and a blank back), and one with a different back.

Are these all from the same set, or maybe different sets? I figured one of you gents will know for sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171129_205819.jpg (26.5 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg 20171129_205841.jpg (40.5 KB, 220 views)
Old 11-29-2017, 07:25 PM
Sean Sullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
And, since you are showing off Jacksons...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171129_210544.jpg (26.1 KB, 220 views)
Old 11-29-2017, 07:27 PM
Sean Sullivan

Default And finally (for tonight)

Some other send away cards from a different year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171129_210021.jpg (24.5 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg 20171129_210035.jpg (18.7 KB, 219 views)
Old 11-29-2017, 08:01 PM
Sean Sullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera View Post
A really fun read, thanks. Just curious about the economics of this? For example, how much is the Oil Can Boyd card worth? Did it pay for a good part of the total purchase?

And no....I do not have any desire to start a new addiction...just curious.

Thanks,

Jeff
I originally paid like $99 for mine last year, but now I see a couple on ebay for slightly less. Until last year, the only place I had ever even seen one is on the junk wax site. I think this version is really rare. For example, I got the Whiten hand over border easily on ebay, and the Drabek white border with no problem, and I think those are fairly hard to come by.

It is really hit or miss. Sometimes (often, at least in my case) you get nothing. You really have to search the whole lot. Once I bought a couple of cases of random cards from a guy out in the middle of nowhere. The whole lot was worthless, except for ONE card. I got the Chris Hoiles white border card, and it was worth more than I paid for the whole lot. Another time, I bagged (what turned out to be) a PSA 8 Jeter SP rookie.

In my opinion, a lot of it is about the thrill of the chase, and the little rush you get when you pull out something awesome. For me, it is even BETTER when I get some cards that someone else already looked through (like in this case), and I still find something amazing.
Others might have a different reason for it though.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:08 PM
Ben North

Quote:
And, since you are showing off Jacksons...
Can't tell from your picture, did you get all 3 versions?

Last edited by bnorth; 11-29-2017 at 08:09 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:13 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Quote:
I originally paid like $99 for mine last year, but now I see a couple on ebay for slightly less. Until last year, the only place I had ever even seen one is on the junk wax site. I think this version is really rare. For example, I got the Whiten hand over border easily on ebay, and the Drabek white border with no problem, and I think those are fairly hard to come by.

It is really hit or miss. Sometimes (often, at least in my case) you get nothing. You really have to search the whole lot. Once I bought a couple of cases of random cards from a guy out in the middle of nowhere. The whole lot was worthless, except for ONE card. I got the Chris Hoiles white border card, and it was worth more than I paid for the whole lot. Another time, I bagged (what turned out to be) a PSA 8 Jeter SP rookie.

In my opinion, a lot of it is about the thrill of the chase, and the little rush you get when you pull out something awesome. For me, it is even BETTER when I get some cards that someone else already looked through (like in this case), and I still find something amazing.
Others might have a different reason for it though.
I agree...it is all in the hunt. Good luck!!!

Jeff
Old 11-30-2017, 05:19 AM
Sean Sullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Can't tell from your picture, did you get all 3 versions?
Sorry for the low grade phone pics. Yes, I got all three versions, and then some. Also, he signed one of them.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:06 AM

Little did I know that a phone call that started with “What are you doing Sunday?” would end up with me having a living room full of cards.

It was/is a blast to go through. It’s always fun to buy another persons collection and go through it, even if it is mostly junk sets.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:15 AM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

Sean, great stuff! I know I have a couple of those Jack Clark variations somewhere. Gotta find them now. Completely forgot about it.

I did a similar massive craigslist sale about 10 years ago. Sets, 3200ct boxes etc. They had to go.... Took the family out for a nice dinner that night.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:26 AM
Sean Sullivan

Default Is this one even a thing?

Keith Comstock normal card, left.
The one on the right has his name partially printed in yellow.
Is that considered a variation? I have no idea, and I have never seen the yellow name Comstock before.

The rest of the card does not appear to be blurry, or over-struck.

Sorry for the crappy phone pictures. I will try and get a better one posted with my microscope.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171202_121128.jpg (24.0 KB, 193 views)
Old 12-02-2017, 10:29 AM
Sean Sullivan

Here are some pics I took under the scope to show what I am talking about.
Normal card, and then the weird one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171202_122013.jpg (14.8 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg 20171202_122207_resized.jpg (13.7 KB, 194 views)
Old 12-02-2017, 02:29 PM
Steve Birmingham

Just the yellow being a bit out of register.
Old 12-02-2017, 02:39 PM
Al Richter

I do not have a yellow, maybe Dylan does. But I had seen scans that seem to show it with a full yellow name. Not sure how that variant occurred or if yours is some transition card. I have all, or at least a bunch of the 1980 "yellows" and a Pryor no name but view all them as recurring print defects.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:28 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Looks like a mis-registered card to me as well. Not a yellow name Comstock. Print alignment slightly off.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:40 PM
Dylan

Quote:
Keith Comstock normal card, left.
The one on the right has his name partially printed in yellow.
Is that considered a variation? I have no idea, and I have never seen the yellow name Comstock before.

The rest of the card does not appear to be blurry, or over-struck.

Sorry for the crappy phone pictures. I will try and get a better one posted with my microscope.
Yeah, this is just an off-register one. You can find almost all of the Padres players in slight degrees of it. The yellow letter version ( I have owned three ) is the result of the yellow ink spilling beyond its intended parameters, aka into his name area. Definitely a print flaw situation, not an intended design change.

Old 12-03-2017, 03:11 PM
Sean Sullivan

Default Comstock

Thanks everyone for letting me know what I have (or didn't)! Lol.

Now I have a better idea of what to look for.
Old 12-03-2017, 03:12 PM
Sean Sullivan

Default And, since people are asking

I am about to put the "Cards Not Included" and the "Border Tip Filled in Oil Can Boyd" cards up for sale in the 80's section.

Thanks for all the interest.
Old 12-04-2017, 02:32 PM
Mike

"Cards not included " version, what is the value , any demand for these type of insert cards ?

Also could someone show and explain the difference (photos) between the 1991 Topps Oil Can Boyd cards ?
Old 12-04-2017, 02:47 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
"Cards not included " version, what is the value , any demand for these type of insert cards ?

Also could someone show and explain the difference (photos) between the 1991 Topps Oil Can Boyd cards ?
Here is the previous thread on the Oil Can cards:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=189567
Old 12-04-2017, 03:04 PM
Al Richter

I think the value of the Cards Not Included advertising card is virtually impossible to predict. It depends on how rare it is and how many collectors think they need it for a master 1988 Topps set, The OP apparently thinks it is possibly worth $ 200 max ( with the Boyd and arrow card included), so it will be hard to tell what it's value is in the NET 54 market by itself even if it sells at that price with the other cards, or at a lesser amount in the manner proposed by the OP.

Anyone aware of any prior auction prices for that card. I have the Boyd and arrow cards and they do come up on ebay.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:49 PM
Sean Sullivan

Default More weird ones I found last night

As I ripped into some more boxes, I found some of these bizarre variations. I don't think they are valuable at all, but I thought I would ask about them. I only took pics of cards I found with recurring issues in at least 3 cards, so I wasn't just looking at fish eyes.

Does Righetti always appear with a red tip on the All-Star eagle?

Does Boddicker always have a line through his face?

All the Yaz cards I found have little white and black "hash marks" around the year at the bottom.

Hernandez, I found in at least three "versions"; sometimes he has pink and purple spots and marks all over his jersey. Sometimes they are sort of there, and then sometimes virtually nothing.

Well, time to rip into some more boxes!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171204_190902.jpg (27.3 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg 20171204_190927_resized.jpg (24.8 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg 20171204_191005.jpg (31.9 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg 20171204_191106.jpg (26.7 KB, 184 views)
Old 12-04-2017, 07:09 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Does Boddicker always have a line through his face?
No, plenty on COMC with no line on face.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:48 PM
Sean Sullivan

Default More junk finds

Still digging.

Found some 1993 Topps Albert Belle cards, with the green stripes and one with the grey stripes. Hard to see in the crappy phone pic, but clear in hand.

Also, 1994 Topps #306; one version has a "D" on the back, one does not. Is that what Junk Wax Gems means when it says "RARE version - D sheet"?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171217_135617_resized.jpg (24.9 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg 20171217_152314.jpg (23.0 KB, 127 views)
Old 12-18-2017, 08:46 AM
Arthur R!ch

I love this thread, thanks to everyone that's contributing.

Would someone mind giving me the quick nickel version on the Darrell Jackson card? I couldn't tell on my own what was different between them. Thank you.

Arthur

Successful transactions with Burger King, Amazon, Great Cuts, Tacos Villa Corona, TJ Maxx
Old 12-18-2017, 09:20 AM
Sean Sullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HasselhoffsCheeseburger View Post
I love this thread, thanks to everyone that's contributing.

Would someone mind giving me the quick nickel version on the Darrell Jackson card? I couldn't tell on my own what was different between them. Thank you.

Arthur
Jackson can be found with black hat, red hat, or red hat with most or all of the white letter missing, if I remember right.
Or maybe it was black hat with letter missing...

Last edited by JoeDfan; 12-18-2017 at 09:22 AM.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:19 AM
Arthur R!ch

Quote:
Jackson can be found with black hat, red hat, or red hat with most or all of the white letter missing, if I remember right.
Ahhhh.... okay, now I see it. Thank you.

Arthur

Successful transactions with Burger King, Amazon, Great Cuts, Tacos Villa Corona, TJ Maxx
Old 12-18-2017, 06:03 PM
Dylan

Quote:
Jackson's black cap version can be found with most or all of the 'T' missing on front. Also can be found with solid black or half-black, half-navy color.

Jackson's red cap version can be found with most or all of the 'T' missing on front. Also can be found with or without a small red "tail" coming off the back of the cap. There are multiple variations in what % of the cap is red as well.

Fleer went through a handful of printings to get this card right.

Old 12-24-2017, 04:42 PM
Sean Sullivan

Default More junk; more variations

Spent last weekend ripping through more (and more) junk. It seems like it never ends!!! Well, also probably because we bought another lot!!!! Hahahaha. However, this new one also had some sweet vintage boxes. So I can't really call that one junk.

I also went through about four sets of 1991 Topps, and found a bunch more variations, with green border stripes, and missing print codes, and the Morgan "187" variation with the "1" slightly raised.

Have a great Christmas everyone! I know I am!!!
While Ashley is at her parent's house, I am just sitting here tearing through box after box after box...after box...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blurry.jpg (18.8 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg Dots.jpg (20.3 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg Double print.jpg (21.3 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg Low D.jpg (19.5 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg Outside the lines.jpg (14.9 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg Ripkin.jpg (7.8 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg Stripes.jpg (21.3 KB, 89 views)