NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 01-02-2013, 11:09 AM
Greg B.
Banned

Default Ray Lewis is going to retire this year

any thoughts on how he will fit into nfl history
Old 01-02-2013, 08:14 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Greatest

He's the best ever.
Best linebacker.
Best interview.
Best friend.
Canton will likely waive the 5 yr retirement requirement.
The list goes on...just ask him, he'll be sure to alleviate any doubts.

But for his legacy, he's probably right along side LT.
They both played football well. Once you take football out of the equation, you don't have much to cheer for....although admittedly that list is much longer than just these two guys in the NFL.

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:01 PM
Jake

What about Dick Butkus?

Always up for a trade.

If you have a Blue Weiser Wonder WaJo, PM/Email Me!
Old 01-04-2013, 04:32 PM

/

Last edited by howard38; 09-10-2020 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:34 PM
P*ter Me@d

Default Second chance and the Art Modell effect

I am not a Ravens fan even though I have lived just south of Baltimore for upwards of 20-years (true confession, I am a life long Buffalo Bills fan). It has been interesting perusing a few chat boards about Ray's retirement--and it is a shame he is being judged entirely by his, readily admitted, youthful heinous mistakes. I have to disagree with my friend Brian's statement:

"But for his legacy, he's probably right along side LT.
They both played football well. Once you take football out of the equation, you don't have much to cheer for....although admittedly that list is much longer than just these two guys in the NFL."

Ray's post-Atlanta Super Bowl crimes probably should have landed him in jail--and he did testify against his friends. And this is where Art Modell stepped in and became the wise counselor father figure that Ray never had growing up. With a second chance, Ray moved beyond his friends from the "hood." He wants his kids to know their father as he never did (albeit he has kids from several different mothers--he takes care of all of them placing them in exceptional schools).

Baltimore loves the Ravens and what Ray has brought to each and every game. Baltimore also loves Ray for what he has given back to the community--this again comes from the Modell family's influence on the Ravens team. Ray Lewis has given of himself, his time, his money and his prestige to the City of Baltimore.

I really don't expect Ray to be one of those players who squanders his NFL fortune, or who is arrested for cocaine possession or soliciting prostitution. I do expect him to continue to give back to Baltimore.

I may be wrong--but that is my, more than two cents, in watching his maturation post-Super Bowl while living locally in Maryland.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:14 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

IMO - he will go down as a top 2-4 D player ever. LT is the best ever
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:55 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Peter's information

Peter
I respect your opinion and obvious deeper insight into Ray Lewis.
I wasn't trying to make people read between the lines, but I should have simply said that I don't like Ray Lewis at all. Not even a little tiny fragment.

I think he and LT are probably good football players but I can't look beyond the way they have carried themselves.
My only disclaimer was that they have plenty of company among NFL players for whom I carry no hint of admiration.

In fact, I likely shouldn't have replied to the original question (which was a serious question about how Lewis's football legacy will play out) due to my preponderance to be negative about him. Maybe he's better than I give him credit for.
If he really has turned his life around, great.
I still don't care though, and hearing that ESPN game day is going to hire him just means I'll tune to a different channel
I mean it's not like they are hiring Carruth or Vick...or LT.

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:51 AM
qu@n nguy3n

a murderer who ra-ras it up so people will forget about it. seems to have worked.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:24 PM
Jeff

Ray Lewis - YAWN.
Great player with an old, old act.
I won't miss it.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 01-06-2013, 05:30 PM
Rob G.

While I think both LT and Ray Lewis (along with a handful of others like Butkus and Singletary etc) are in the discussion of "best defensive players ever" I think they are/were different players. LT seemed more of a pass rusher whose sole intent was getting to the QB. Ray Lewis, while he could get to the QB, was just as good in stopping the run, absorbing run blockers, covering a TE, etc. Ray could read a play better than LT, I think.

thoughts?
Old 01-06-2013, 06:29 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

other teams feared LT every time that opposing team had the ball, almost like a big power hitter coming to the plate. Few D guys have to have the other team set a game plan for. He was dominant I think the most feared D player to play against.
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:11 PM

/

Last edited by howard38; 09-10-2020 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:28 AM
Dave Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
Ray Lewis - YAWN.
Great player with an old, old act.
I won't miss it.
+1
Old 01-12-2013, 02:33 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Hopefully his NFL playing career ends 3 hours from now and he can take a stab at something new

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:17 PM
Belltown Vintage

Ray Lew is will go to the HOF in five years. Do you think he'll drive the extra 20 miles to visit the graves of the two young men who were murdered that night 13 years ago?