NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Basketball / Cricket / Tennis Cards Forum

Old 06-28-2016, 05:52 PM
D@le Irv*n

Default Eric Lindros in the Hockey HOF

Personally, I am glad he made it in. I never missed a home game when he played with the Oshawa Generals back in 89-92.

I know there a lot who dislike him for various reasons but like Bobby Clarke said, all that off the ice was just baggage. What he did on the ice is what counts.

https://www.nhl.com/news/eric-lindro...me/c-281074822

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W4YfbXkzWA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lindros.jpg (73.9 KB, 194 views)

Last edited by irv; 06-28-2016 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Added pics
Old 06-29-2016, 02:35 AM
Murr the Blurr

Totally agree, Irv. When he was healthy and on his game, The Big E was truly a force to be reckoned with. In a lot of ways he reminded me of Frank Mahovlich -- gifted with incredible physical ability but not always in sync with what was going on around him. At the top of their game, both guys could leave the opposition -- and fans -- spellbound by the enormity of their skill set. Now that Lindros is in, the next long-overdue inductee should be Theo Fleury.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:34 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

One season with 100 plus points as a center. No thanks.
Old 06-29-2016, 04:05 PM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Good for him. He was my favorite when I was a kid. I'm from Texas and I just liked the guy. His attitude towards certain areas of Canada also appealed to me as a dumb kid.

Here is my tribute to my favorite hockey player. It hung on my wall for years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (71.5 KB, 168 views)

Last edited by Laxcat; 06-29-2016 at 04:06 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:11 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econteachert205 View Post
One season with 100 plus points as a center. No thanks.
865 points in 760 NHL games by a player who could do it all and not have anyone protecting him like some others who played back then, I'd say he had a great career.

How many this year, in an entirely, pussified game nowadays (comparatively) broke 100 points?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxcat View Post
Good for him. He was my favorite when I was a kid. I'm from Texas and I just liked the guy. His attitude towards certain areas of Canada also appealed to me as a dumb kid.

Here is my tribute to my favorite hockey player. It hung on my wall for years.
Loved watching him play! Like I mentioned, I never missed a home game. When the Oshawa Generals acquired Rob Pearson, watching the pair of them play together was unbelievable!

Rob's career was short lived. (Known trouble maker, who, despite Eric's best efforts, never smartened up, sadly)

Rob Pearson is still active in youth Hockey today however, which imo, means he did mature at least somewhat? (Leafs sweater)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg March 2013 2013-03-24 014.jpg (42.9 KB, 164 views)
Old 06-30-2016, 08:49 AM
Robert J. Miller

Congrats Eric! Lindros, LeClair, Rendberg...............The Legion Of Doom as they were called were almost unstoppable. It was a great pleasure watching them for a several years. Lindros was a monster. He could handle the puck, score, issue punishing hits. It was a lot of fun being a Flyers fan back then.

I am also so glad one of my favorite goalies made it. Vachon was always one of my favorite non Flyers players. He deserves the H.O.F.

Robert
Old 06-30-2016, 04:36 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writehooks View Post
Totally agree, Irv. When he was healthy and on his game, The Big E was truly a force to be reckoned with. In a lot of ways he reminded me of Frank Mahovlich -- gifted with incredible physical ability but not always in sync with what was going on around him. At the top of their game, both guys could leave the opposition -- and fans -- spellbound by the enormity of their skill set. Now that Lindros is in, the next long-overdue inductee should be Theo Fleury.
He sure was!

And I agree, Theo should be in as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesfan View Post
Congrats Eric! Lindros, LeClair, Rendberg...............The Legion Of Doom as they were called were almost unstoppable. It was a great pleasure watching them for a several years. Lindros was a monster. He could handle the puck, score, issue punishing hits. It was a lot of fun being a Flyers fan back then.

I am also so glad one of my favorite goalies made it. Vachon was always one of my favorite non Flyers players. He deserves the H.O.F.

Robert
My bud and I were allowed to stand behind the net one game (where the Zamboni enters the ice) and Eric and Darian Hatcher came around and clobbered each other up against the boards right where we were standing.
My bud is taller than me but even he said, geebus, wouldn't want to be out there playing against either of those 2 guys!

Not that I am a tall guy, but seeing Eric on skates up close and personal, made me feel like a skinny elf comparatively!
Old 06-30-2016, 07:33 PM
Neil

He certainly does deserve to be in. Good for him.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2016, 08:55 PM
Dave

Wish he could have stayed healthy. What a career he would have had. I bought up tons of those Score Rookie cards back in the day, but they never did make me as rich as I thought they were going to. LOL!!
Old 06-30-2016, 08:59 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknock-2013 View Post
He certainly does deserve to be in. Good for him.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Couldn't agree more.

Like the back of this cards reads, full of talent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E.Lindros1.jpg (71.6 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg E.Lindros2.jpg (69.9 KB, 140 views)
Old 07-01-2016, 06:02 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Wish he could have stayed healthy. What a career he would have had. I bought up tons of those Score Rookie cards back in the day, but they never did make me as rich as I thought they were going to. LOL!!
I have a few of those cards too, as well as some others like I have posted.

I guess looking back, I don't believe I ever purchased/obtained those cards looking to get rich but did so just because I thought the guy was an awesome hockey player and a hometown hero.

Not to say I don't wish those cards were worth something now, but even then, I am not so sure I'd sell them?
Old 07-01-2016, 10:43 AM
D@le Irv*n

Great article about Eric and how all the controversy back then has all been accepted today.

He continues to do a lot for hockey, even today.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/th...player-safety/

Last edited by irv; 07-01-2016 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:49 PM

I have a friend who's a Flyers fan, I sent him a message saying that I hope the HHOF exhibit included a photo of Lindros with all the Stanley Cups he won with the Flyers. He didn't like that too much....
Old 07-01-2016, 01:06 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by gawaintheknight View Post
I have a friend who's a Flyers fan, I sent him a message saying that I hope the HHOF exhibit included a photo of Lindros with all the Stanley Cups he won with the Flyers. He didn't like that too much....
Nope, I don't imagine he did!
Old 07-01-2016, 01:31 PM
Dave

It's funny, the guy had a ridiculous amount of expectations coming out of Junior Hockey. Guaranteed the next Mario Lemiuex.

For a long time he was considered somewhat of a bust by a lot of people, but in retrospect, taken apart from those expectations he had a damn good career.

A better comparison probably might be somebody like Cam Neely. Another guy who's career was limited due to injuries.
Old 07-01-2016, 03:07 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
It's funny, the guy had a ridiculous amount of expectations coming out of Junior Hockey. Guaranteed the next Mario Lemiuex.

For a long time he was considered somewhat of a bust by a lot of people, but in retrospect, taken apart from those expectations he had a damn good career.

A better comparison probably might be somebody like Cam Neely. Another guy who's career was limited due to injuries.
If it were the hockey that is played today, I'd say Eric would have been one of the all time greats to ever play the game, but with the amount of fighting, illegal hits and other shenanigans that went on during his time, it is obvious it took a toll on him, sadly.
Old 11-18-2016, 04:55 PM
D@le Irv*n

A couple recent additions and one of the best hockey pics of all time, imo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eric Lindros.jpg (78.5 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg 13442376_876728689123553_5945771624158328326_n.jpg (75.0 KB, 77 views)
Old 11-18-2016, 08:53 PM
Jason

That's one hell of a pic! Is that a personal photo?
Old 11-19-2016, 09:54 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthorst75 View Post
That's one hell of a pic! Is that a personal photo?
No, not a personal pic. I noticed it somewhere, sometime ago and just saved it.

Talk about a bunch of superstars all in one pic!
Old 11-19-2016, 10:51 AM
qu@n nguy3n

that's a great photo! and maybe lindros didn't live up to all the expectation, but he's a hof'er. the hockey hof is not as tough as baseball, i'd like to see kariya in there also...he's even more borderline than lindros.
Old 11-19-2016, 03:42 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
that's a great photo! and maybe lindros didn't live up to all the expectation, but he's a hof'er. the hockey hof is not as tough as baseball, i'd like to see kariya in there also...he's even more borderline than lindros.
It's a shame both players careers were cut short due to injuries. Those 2 guys brought something to the game that was rarely, or ever seen before.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:34 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
It's a shame both players careers were cut short due to injuries. Those 2 guys brought something to the game that was rarely, or ever seen before.
Kariya played 15 years. I guess by hockey standards that is short because so many of these guys seem to play into their 40s.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:33 PM
D@le Irv*n

Not sure what happened there?

Last edited by irv; 11-25-2016 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:37 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Kariya played 15 years. I guess by hockey standards that is short because so many of these guys seem to play into their 40s.
He was definitely a great player and had more than a few left if it weren't for the injuries, namely the concussions.

Thankfully, goonery, like Steven's hit on Kariya and Lindros is no longer acceptable as we are now seeing some great young talent being drafted and going directly to their teams that drafted them.

If the old game was still being played, there are many currently playing who wouldn't even have been drafted, imo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj2URP8wJlU
http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/news...cussion-policy
https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nh...063515788.html